Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:41 pm 

The title says it all. This thread is dedicated to gothic metal recs.

To start off the thread, I was wondering, could anyone recommend me bands like Type O Negative and gothic era Moonspell. Also, something soft like Within Temptation or HB would be in order to, better if it doesn't have chrisitan lyrics, or at least more subtle ones.
Thanks in advance.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:52 pm 

Can anyone recommand me some gothic metal similar to Draconian times and In requiem by paradise lost? the gothic metal band musn't be too soft, NO growls (for example The old dead tree) but just clean and harsher singing style, no female vocals! lyrics must be in english and i don't mind production.

Thanks in advance!

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:54 pm 

I'll just put these out here:

Gothic-ish Metal: Tiamat and Sentenced.

Gothic Black: Rotting Christ.

Those are the first that come to mind for me.

JobForACryptopsy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:57 pm 

Im not a Cradle fan, but I listened to this song by them called "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh" and it was pretty badass. I noticed a lot of different metal elements in it, along with the album it was on.

Any recommendations on fast paced, possibly melodic, gothic metal such as this song?

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:07 pm 

Graveworm might be what you're looking for. Melodic black/gothic metal. Try the "Scourge of Malice" album

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:15 pm 

Agothodamian might be up your alley as well. Sometimes there's a grey area between doom/goth, because My Dying Bride and November's Doom can be goth at times.

godofgomorrah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:39 pm 

not really specific to any of the requests above but i want to recommend these:

tristania - probably my favorite gothic band, the blend between growling and female singing is superb and the atmosphere created is amazing, get beyond the veil.

theater of tragedy - same as above but slightly less polished and more depressing.

also crematory and novembre are very good and i second moonspell, cradle of filth, rotting christ, type o negative and tiamat

SpiritOfTheForest
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:46 pm 

I'd go so far as to call Type O Negative essential to anybody looking to get into gothic metal who is currently unfamiliar with them. Awesome band.

Itheus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:54 pm 

Itheus wrote:
Agothodamian might be up your alley as well. Sometimes there's a grey area between doom/goth, because My Dying Bride and November's Doom can be goth at times.

To add to this, My Dying Bride's "Like God's of the Sun" is probably more goth than doom. This might be a good album for you if you don't have it already.

And yes, to the above poster, Type O Negative are GODS.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:41 pm 

Mandatory mention of Draconian

Doom/Gothic at it's best (with some Death influences in ther eralier works).

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:47 pm 

A good band is Trail of Tears, but they're gothic/black metal. Still, they're really something. I absolutely love them.

foz45139
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:02 pm 

JobForACryptopsy wrote:
Im not a Cradle fan, but I listened to this song by them called "The Principle of Evil Made Flesh" and it was pretty badass. I noticed a lot of different metal elements in it, along with the album it was on.

Any recommendations on fast paced, possibly melodic, gothic metal such as this song?

Check their other early stuff. I have Dusk and her Embrace and it never ceases to amaze me. And I'm not a huge fan of them either.

Leahcim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:56 pm 

InfernoNecrosis wrote:
A good band is Trail of Tears, but they're gothic/black metal. Still, they're really something. I absolutely love them.

Second.

Saw them once. Talked a bit with Ronny. Talked much more extensively with the guitarist. Nice dude.
We quickly came to agreement in that:
1) Operation Mindcrime is a great album
2) Count Grishnak (I'm not even going to try to spell it off the top of my head) is an asshole

He apparently played with Mayhem at one point. Apparently Hellhammer's a really cool guy.

I also recommend Tristania and Sirenia. Lacrimosa if you want something more gothy than metal. Christain Death is also great.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:04 pm 

Forest Stream and Elegeion.

End thread.

JobForACryptopsy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm 

foz45139 wrote:
JobForACryptopsy wrote:

Check their other early stuff. I have Dusk and her Embrace and it never ceases to amaze me. And I'm not a huge fan of them either.

Ha, went to a friends house and he had Total Fucking Darkness as a cassette. I agree Old Cradle is great, never something I got a chance to look into.

InfernoNecrosis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:43 pm 

Leahcim wrote:
InfernoNecrosis wrote:

Second.

Saw them once. Talked a bit with Ronny. Talked much more extensively with the guitarist. Nice dude.
We quickly came to agreement in that:
1) Operation Mindcrime is a great album
2) Count Grishnak (I'm not even going to try to spell it off the top of my head) is an asshole

He apparently played with Mayhem at one point. Apparently Hellhammer's a really cool guy.

I also recommend Tristania and Sirenia. Lacrimosa if you want something more gothy than metal. Christain Death is also great.

With that in mind...

At Sixes and Sevens by Sirenia is a worthy look.

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:34 am 

Oh... I forgot to mention Siebenbürgen.

Great stuff. Good mix of Gothic/Black Metal.

In this vein (but different style), you should also try Theatres des Vampires.

BTW, The OP and the next guy asked for things that really don't fit with what I'm recommending. Just have in mind that my recs are not directed to no one in especific.

And... I guess that's all the Gothic Metal (or alike) I'd recommend right now.

http://intothepandemoniumes.blogspot.com Blog with reviews, articles and other nerdy stuff. Spanish only :/

goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:59 am 

Im not a huge fan of them, but H.I.M. is pretty gothic at some points. Most of the time, there gothic rock, but they have some metal riffs. The only song I really like by them is "Bleed Well."

Bezerko wrote:
"You're honour, I do believe that Slayer is fucking awesome. I rest my case."

Blacklinkz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:06 am 

goatmanejy wrote:
Im not a huge fan of them, but H.I.M. is pretty gothic at some points. Most of the time, there gothic rock, but they have some metal riffs. The only song I really like by them is "Bleed Well."

No offense, but I'd rather kiss Tilo Wolf (lil' joke) than listen to that guy (or thing, or... whatever).

Besides, even Lacrimosa is far more metal and far more gothic than him

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:14 am 

Lake of Tears - Forever Autumn is a fantastic goth rock/metal album if anyone is interested.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:25 am 

Estatic Fear, easily my fav band under this genre... they actually play a mix of doom and gothic, i've never heard such beauty in music... they got 2 albums up

Somnium Obmutum Full-length, 1996 [1 review, 100%]
A Sombre Dance Full-length, 1999 [4 reviews, average 100%]

its evident on MA reviews too shows how awesome they are

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:10 am 

NetherFog wrote:
Estatic Fear, easily my fav band under this genre... they actually play a mix of doom and gothic, i've never heard such beauty in music... they got 2 albums up

Estatic Fear is easily one of my favourite of the genre (though that doesn't say much), though I wouldn't give it anything near 100%.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:04 am 

Kruel wrote:
NetherFog wrote:

Estatic Fear is easily one of my favourite of the genre (though that doesn't say much), though I wouldn't give it anything near 100%.

hmmm i would for sure, too bad there are chances of them splitting up :(

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:35 am 

for the gothic/black metal I reccomend the first two albums by Macbeth, the Italian band. They are very good.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:00 am 

NetherFog wrote:
Kruel wrote:
NetherFog wrote:

I thought they were practically split-up.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

doomlover
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:39 am 

goatmanejy wrote:

their first album greatest lovesongs vol.666 is metal and personally i think their latest album Venus Doom is metal but the in between albums are gothic rock.

i think if people look past all the emo etc fan base (which came from bam margera btw) you'll find a really good band, people just need to cut them some slack

NetherFog
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:04 am 

Kruel wrote:
NetherFog wrote:
Kruel wrote:
NetherFog wrote:

I thought they were practically split-up.

i thougt it was "on hold", gah! their myspace is not opening either i get this message "Http/1.1 Service Unavailable" :|

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:07 am 

It says it's on hold (I actually discovered it today), but I think it's practically split-up; even if they become active again, it will be more like a reunion anyway, since it's been almost 10 years since they became inactive.

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:54 am 

Virgin Black are not only fairly gothic, but they are also incredibly good as well - check out "Requiem - Mezzo Forte" for the best album of 2007 by a large stretch.

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:31 am 

I've been getting a lot into El Cuervo de Poe and early Lacuna Coil, particularly their first EP, I really like it. Their newer stuff just doesn't cut it out for me, I'd rather listen to HIM or Evanescence.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:37 am 

immortalshadow666 wrote:
Virgin Black are not only fairly gothic, but they are also incredibly good as well - check out "Requiem - Mezzo Forte" for the best album of 2007 by a large stretch.

I bought Fortissimo a week ago, it's a great album. Best album of '07 for Mezzo though? Pfft, Candlemass...

Speaking of Virgin Black, home-grown metal!

immortalshadow666
Transilvanian sandwich, mould! MOULD!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:03 pm 

South Australian pride world wide! (Except in NT, VIC, TAS, ACT, NSW, WA and QLD :P)

But yes, Virgin Black do rule very much. In 2004 I saw them opening for Opeth, and I hated them... oh how times change, and how stupid and immature I was, age 15, for not appreciating them.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:53 pm 

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:
for the gothic/black metal I reccomend the first two albums by Macbeth, the Italian band. They are very good.

Theatres Des Vampires is another good choice for this.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Leahcim
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:54 pm 

Visionary wrote:
CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8 wrote:

Theatres Des Vampires is another good choice for this.

Again, seconded.

Also, dig a band called Autumn. There are a few bands of that name but the one I speak of did a song called "Satallites." Youtube it.
It's a bit on the Gothic Rocky side, but definately good.

Then check out a band called Echos of Eternity. "Voices in a Dream" is a very pretty song. I almost saw them with Trail of Tears, but damn the bronchitis fiend!

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:37 pm 

Lacrimas Profundere might be up your alley. They were quite popular about a year or two ago when some of their songs appeared on Bam's Unholy Reunion. I highly recommend their Filthy Notes for Frozen Hearts album.

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:33 pm 

Anyone know some gothic metal similar to the second Rahowa album? Doesn't necesarily have to be a white power band of any kind.
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

gaynemesis
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:58 am 

Good easy finding gothic metal albums I would recommend are: moonpell's the antidote
Tiamat's amanethes
The gathering's mandylion
Easy listening goth for beginners and easy to find at stores both online and real

IT_AND_EVIL_ARE_GODS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:22 am 

I'm always looking for bands that sound similar to Tiamat's mid-era (Clouds, Wildhoney etc.).. Can anyone help?

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:27 pm 

Blacklinkz wrote:
Oh... I forgot to mention Siebenbürgen.

Great stuff. Good mix of Gothic/Black Metal.

Delictum is a fucking masterpiece. I recommend them, too.

ScaryMonsters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:30 pm 

Virgin Black is Christian...but in a weird and scary way...

and besides their music is so haunting and beautiful I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next