Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
Oh yeah, and I can't help but say it: Borknagar, Windir and Tyr are all overrated boring garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

:boo:

Windir ist kreig.

Evaareth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:22 am 

The chorus of Pursuit of Vikings by Amon Amarth is what I would call the pure ESSENCE OF AWESOMENESS!! ODEN!!!!! GUIDE OUR SHIPS!!!

Anyway, I would prefer viking metal of a melodic death or black metal style, however basically any albums/songs/bands that have (or almost have) the epic awesomeness of Amon Amarth (especially Pursuit of Vikings ) Once, when I was on a bus with some mates, we starting screaming the chorus and we got kicked off lol.

I also like epic songs with classical guitar parts and clean singing and stuff (not too much clean singing )

Sir_General_Flashman
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:23 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Oh yeah, and I can't help but say it: Borknagar, Windir and Tyr are all overrated boring garbage and should be avoided at all costs.

Ragnarok is amazing by Tyr, I'm not sure about land though(it's only my first listen).

Evaareth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:26 am 

schwuppe wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
That album is one of the best viking albums ever, but unfortunately, it is a one of a kind album. I'll take a look at my collection though, and I'll get back to you.

I wish Enslaved would have kept their sound and not changed into progressive black

I think every single one of their albums is :headbang:
Although yea I do prefer the old stuff, but prog shit is awesome too :D

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:16 am 

Evaareth wrote:
prefer viking metal of a melodic death or black metal style, however basically any albums/songs/bands that have (or almost have) the epic awesomeness of Amon Amarth (especially Pursuit of Vikings )

Check out Wulfgar, also from Sweden.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:54 am 

The new Waylander leaked and it's pretty decent.

That is all.

tkmallam
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:07 pm 

can anyone tell me where i could find instructions on how to play the folk melodies in folk metal bands, paticuarly Eluveitie

schwuppe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:26 pm 

For every Viking Metal fan:
Get the Enslaved's Yggdrasil demo! Now!

Well ofc it's not Vikingligr Veldi, nevertheless it's fucking amazing

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:15 pm 

Hopefully somebody can help me out with my viking predicament. I simply must know the name of this song and the band that plays, so goddamn catchy in an epic way. http://varginprison.ytmnd.com/

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:17 pm 

schwuppe wrote:

I prefer it to Veikingligr Veldi, actually.

And if you like early Enslaved, Helheim is necessary.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:27 pm 

Kruel wrote:
schwuppe wrote:

I prefer it to Veikingligr Veldi, actually.

And if you like early Enslaved, Helheim is necessary.

I don't know...for some reason I like RUUN and Isa alot better then their viking era stuff. Don't get me wrong though, it's purely one of a kind stuff, but I prefer their newer stuff..

TheYardstick
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:25 am 

I'm looking for Folk Metal with more emphasis on the Folk aspects of it.

So far all I've gotten into is Korpiklaani, Drudkh, Enslaved, Windir, and Cor Scorpii, thanks in advance.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:36 am 

TheYardstick wrote:

So far all I've gotten into is Korpiklaani, Drudkh, Enslaved, Windir, and Cor Scorpii, thanks in advance.

Turisas is a great one, if you don't already know them.

I would also suggest Heidevolk and Folkearth.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:38 am 

TheYardstick wrote:

I'm not sure how Enslaved and Windir have more emphasis on folk, but try later Nokturnal Mortum for black/folk with a lot of folk.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:43 am 

Kruel wrote:
TheYardstick wrote:

I'm not sure how Enslaved and Windir have more emphasis on folk, but try later Nokturnal Mortum for black/folk with a lot of folk.

Nor Cor Scorpii or Drudkh. But still, I'd recommend checking out Myrkgrav, Ásmegin, Falkenbach (although they're not overly folky), Storm, and possibly Empyrium and Wyrd. Sorry, but I can't be bothered giving a more detailed description of each band right now, but all of those bands are excellent and I strongly suggest checking out all of them.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:59 am 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
Kruel wrote:
TheYardstick wrote:

Nor Cor Scorpii or Drudkh. But still, I'd recommend checking out Myrkgrav, Ásmegin, Falkenbach (although they're not overly folky), Storm, and possibly Empyrium and Wyrd. Sorry, but I can't be bothered giving a more detailed description of each band right now, but all of those bands are excellent and I strongly suggest checking out all of them.

Thunderforge by Skyforger also has a strong Folk aspect much more than the older albums, and is awesome at that.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:30 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

:boo::boo::boo::boo::boo:

Windir ist kreig, and one of the best bands ever. They have both melody and atmosphere, unlike 99% of metal bands who are just gigiigigiiggi riff masturbations with no feeling that don't go anywhere (e.g. Heaven & Hell, Judas fucking Priest and Motörhead).

666head
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:42 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I agree that they are overrated, but avoided, nah, not bad at all, just way to overrated.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:51 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

Windir ist kreig, and one of the best bands ever. They have both melody and atmosphere, unlike 99% of metal bands who are just gigiigigiiggi riff masturbations with no feeling that don't go anywhere (e.g. Heaven & Hell, Judas fucking Priest and Motörhead).

Someone please ban this man.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:52 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

If you're going to slag off Judas Priest, why did you even put fucking between the words?

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:02 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

Someone can't challenge someone's statement nowadays? Even if it's the site's creator. The forum is made to discuss, and if you are to distinguish of what is right to say and what is not right to say then....good for you.
What I said wasn't trolling, it was honesty against honesty.
Kruel wrote:
If you're going to slag off Judas Priest, why did you even put fucking between the words?

Answer: Oh sorry, that was Morrigan's quote actually (from the Montreal metal thread). I forgot to put the quotation marks.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:51 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:

Someone can't challenge someone's statement nowadays?

No that's perfectly acceptable. But no one can challenge the almightly power of Judas fucking Preist.

(Oh and so I don't derail this thread, if you haven't noticed yet, I'm joking.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:17 am 

TheYardstick wrote:

Try the last two Arkona (Russia) albums and Pagan Reign's "Tverd." Also Fearlight from Russia.

gigel2006
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:24 pm 

samekh wrote:
TheYardstick wrote:

Try the last two Arkona (Russia) albums and Pagan Reign's "Tverd." Also Fearlight from Russia.

Also check Ashen Light (Russia), Norkturnal Mortum (Ukraine).

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:52 pm 

TheYardstick wrote:

Månegarm might be to your liking.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:53 pm 

Haha, that should be called metal folk. :lol:

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:43 pm 

TheYardstick, check out Otyg. The focus is clearly on the great variety of folk melodies.

Evaareth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:51 pm 

gigel2006 wrote:
Judas fucking Priest

I agree. JUDAS FUCKING PRIEST IST KRIEG!!

norilor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:02 pm 

Svartsot
SIG:AR:TYR
Manegarm
Diadema Tristis
Guahaihoque

Each band is very good.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 pm 

norilor wrote:
Guahaihoque

Yes. Everyone, please check them out.

samekh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:12 am 

Nordic_Warhammer wrote:

For some reason, I almost always overlook Månegarm when recommending bands. They're very good and unique, although the vocals will not please everybody.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:03 pm 

samekh wrote:
Nordic_Warhammer wrote:

For some reason, I almost always overlook Månegarm when recommending bands. They're very good and unique, although the vocals will not please everybody.

Indeed, I do the exact same thing. They're actually quite a talented band who've put out some really quality material. Not up to the standards of something like Falkenbach (but then again, no other Viking/folk bands are in my opinion), but still extremely good.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:30 pm 

Kruel wrote:
gigel2006 wrote:
Morrigan wrote:

We all know how great Windir is, but there is no need to slander other heavy metal bands. Especially Judas Preist or Motorhead.

Simply put:
"Leave the fucking hall".

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:55 pm 

I hope this thread isn't just for European folk-based metal.

I'm looking for folk metal that takes its influences from East Asian folk/traditional music (i.e. Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan). Something like Ensiferum or Orphaned Land, preferably. I don't want something like Magane or Dark Ambition where the folk influence is minor and the band is predominantly metal; I want the whole shebang (traditional instruments, folk melodies, the works).

The closest I've found that might be promising is Gostwind, but I can't find their music anywhere, and from what I've heard they aren't quite what I want, although if someone could point to a place where I could "acquire" *cough* their music, I'd still like to check them out further.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:57 pm 

For Chinese folk metal, try Empylver, Zuriaake and Yn Gizarm.

For Korean, Oathean and Sad Legend.

For Taiwanese, Chthonic.

For Japanese, Sigh and Gonin-Ish.

Not all of these use traditional instruments (I think Oathean and Chthonic do), but they all have a pretty strong feeling representitive of their regions.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 pm 

Scourge441 wrote:
I hope this thread isn't just for European folk-based metal.

I'm looking for folk metal that takes its influences from East Asian folk/traditional music (i.e. Japan, China, Korea, Taiwan). Something like Ensiferum or Orphaned Land, preferably. I don't want something like Magane or Dark Ambition where the folk influence is minor and the band is predominantly metal; I want the whole shebang (traditional instruments, folk melodies, the works).

The closest I've found that might be promising is Gostwind, but I can't find their music anywhere, and from what I've heard they aren't quite what I want, although if someone could point to a place where I could "acquire" *cough* their music, I'd still like to check them out further.

Unfortunatly, there are not many bands in which you speak of. Empylver from China could be something your looking for. They have a asian sound to them and the vocals are decent. I'm interested in this as well, I'll try to find some more. In the meantime, see if you can't find some Empylver samples or something. :)

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:00 pm 

Kruel wrote:

For Taiwanese, Chthonic.

Not all of these use traditional instruments (I think Oathean and Chthonic do), but they all have a pretty strong feeling representitive of their regions.

I stand corrected. Thanks Kruel!

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:06 pm 

Scourge441, check out Kartikeya. I own their full-length and it's ten times better than the one review on this site says it is. I would give around a 90%. They play extreme metal with oriental music heavily incoporated.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 pm 

Kruel wrote:

For Taiwanese, Chthonic.

I already know Chthonic, Sigh, and Gonin-Ish. Good bands (especially Gonin-Ish), but I was looking for something where the folk was more at the forefront a la Orphaned Land.

I'm in the process of trying to find music from those other bands. Oathean are good, but again, not enough folk. Thanks for your help, though.

Snowgrave wrote:
Scourge441, check out Kartikeya. I own their full-length and it's ten times better than the one review on this site says it is. I would give around a 90%. They play extreme metal with oriental music heavily incoporated.

I was looking for East Asian, not Oriental. Either way, this band sounds really good. Thanks!

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:05 pm 

What does everyone think of the new Tyr album? In my opinion, it's a great fucking album. 2 reviewers beg to differ. I don't get where it became a bad album or even not up to par.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42  Next