Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:56 pm 

LiViNgDeAdVirUs wrote:
Is there such thing as actual symphonic death metal? It's something I've been trying to find for a long time. I don't want bad melodeath either. I want Morbid Angel-esque death metal with orchestral instruments, like violins. The closest thing to what I'm looking for is Xzoriath. Is there such a thing? Any help? Thanks.

Phlebotomized - [1994] - Immense Intense Suspense

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:01 pm 

Okay, here's a toughie. More of a curiosity than anything, but still a toughie.

Okay, on the speed spectrum we have Technical DM, which is in general VERY fast DM, we have a lot of other DM bands filling in the fast pace area (genre standard, pretty much), and we have mid-paced DM like Amon Amarth etc, and then Death-Doom or Funeral Doom bands filling in the slow end.

What my question is: do any bands play SLOW Death Metal that isn't Death-Doom? I'm talking about slowing down and taking their time with the music, not with those huge Doom chugs and whatnot though. I'd like more "pure" DM, so no mixing with BM or whatnot and cheating. Also, I'd saying within the realm of either straight-up DM, or slower Melodeath would be acceptable for my question.

thanks!
--Ryan

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:01 am 

Autopsy?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:03 am 

...and Asphyx (classified as doom/death, but not really the usually doom/death; more like just slower death metal).
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:13 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
What my question is: do any bands play SLOW Death Metal that isn't Death-Doom? I'm talking about slowing down and taking their time with the music, not with those huge Doom chugs and whatnot though. I'd like more "pure" DM, so no mixing with BM or whatnot and cheating. Also, I'd saying within the realm of either straight-up DM, thanks!
--Ryan

You described Obituary right there. Slowly we rot and Cause of death would be my pick, and also the live album dead.

I guess I'll second Kruels Asphyx rec, with the album the rack

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:25 am 

Obituary is more midpaced, not really as slow as Autopsy even.

White_Witch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:37 am 

rexxz wrote:
Obituary is more midpaced, not really as slow as Autopsy even.

Slow dm, aswell as being slow, would incorporate midpace as well as the occasional fast section. Otherwise it would be more towards the death/doom. Admit it, they go slow enough for the rec.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:38 am 

I'd say they don't.

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:54 am 

Could anyone recommend me stuff similar to Repugnant?

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:03 am 

That's vague.
Let us ride the winds of blood

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:05 am 

That's the idea.

Edit: What I mean to say is, I'm looking for something with a death/thrash style similar to Repugnant, particularly the vocals.

Last edited by DiscoDan on Sat May 31, 2008 2:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:06 am 

It would be helpful if you described which aspect of their music is attractive to you.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

DiscoDan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:15 am 

DiscoDan wrote:

Edit: What I mean to say is, I'm looking for something with a death/thrash style similar to Repugnant, particularly the vocals.

Hopefully that helps.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:18 am 

Nunslaughter comes to mind. Rather thrashy, with comprehensible and not low-pitched vocals (which are awesome).

john888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:29 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Okay, here's a toughie. More of a curiosity than anything, but still a toughie.
What my question is: do any bands play SLOW Death Metal that isn't Death-Doom? I'm talking about slowing down and taking their time with the music, not with those huge Doom chugs and whatnot though. I'd like more "pure" DM, so no mixing with BM or whatnot and cheating. Also, I'd saying within the realm of either straight-up DM, or slower Melodeath would be acceptable for my question.
thanks!
--Ryan

You can try early Swedish/Finnish bands in general, Gorement is the band you really need to check out, and Cemetary 's debut is my personal favourite.

Torchure and Lemming Project are straight up DM with enough doomy riffage, or maybe Fleshcrawl? They are all from Germany. I would also add Viogression from US.

Sempiternal Deathreign is listed as doomdeath in the archives, but still not similar with MDB type doomdeath, and they really have good quality.

Ceremonium(US)'s 2nd album is very unique, just like a melodic version of Incantation. Interesting stuff.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:59 am 

Nyaricus wrote:

Anatomia, they're basically excellent Autopsy worship.

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 9:05 am 

Jagged wrote:
They only have a demo so far, but check out CYNERYS from Spain.
The vocalist sounds like an exact John Tardy's replica.

www.myspace.com/cynerys

That's quite cool. Thanks :thumbsup:

Rippingheadache wrote:
Viogression. Their style is strikingly similiar to that of Obituary, from the vocals to the doomy/thrashy riffwork. I think you should really like them.

Cool stuff. They sound quite doomy, reminds me of Autopsy.

Kruel wrote:
Try Asphyx as well. Excellent vocals.

I keep hearing about this band, and I checked them out. Definitely liking what I'm hearing, and the vocals are very good.

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:48 pm 

Foxx wrote:
Jagged wrote:
They only have a demo so far, but check out CYNERYS from Spain.
The vocalist sounds like an exact John Tardy's replica.

www.myspace.com/cynerys

That's quite cool. Thanks :thumbsup:

Anytime :)

Kruel wrote:
Try Asphyx as well. Excellent vocals.

Foxx wrote:
I keep hearing about this band, and I checked them out. Definitely liking what I'm hearing, and the vocals are very good.

You just can't go wrong with Mr. Martin Van Drunen.
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:56 am 

EverSoSentient wrote:
Ah, another with good taste. The Chasm I know of, and enjoy quite a bit. I've been meaning to check out Misery's Omen for some time too, I'll get to them eventually. Darkthrone is, of course, a personal favourite. Not quite StarGazer esque though. I'll be sure to check both Sarsekim and Solecism out. Thanks!

**EDIT**
Sampled all I didn't know of from their respective Myspace pages. Misery's Omen is as close as it's going to get I guess. I'm actually pretty amazed that no band I've ever heard of comes close to the sound on "The Scream...", and the songs ... of the Sun, The Scream That Tore the Sky, Ye Olde Magicks and Scribe to the Forsaken Mother in particular. They're just such harmonious compositions that just flow like no other I've heard. Whenever StarGazer decides to release their next album I hope they build on the foundation laid by those songs.

Yeah, StarGazer are pretty damn unique in that way, which I guess is the main reason I like them. I do not know much about when the next album is to be released, all I have is a name: "Great Work of Ages", which is from a 2005 interview. If you do manage to find anything StarGazer-esque, please let me know.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:46 am 

Can anyone reccomend me some quality brutal death metal? To be honest, its not the genre I'd listen to on a daily basis but acts like Internal Suffering, Mindly Rotten and Ancient Necropsy got me interested in it all of a sudden. Columbia seems to be a hotbed for this style nowadays...

I need help finding fresh sounding, technically proficient, but always chaotic brutal dm with very little or no breakdowns. DO NOT reccomend me stuff like Origin/Brain Drill/Decrepit Birth.

avrlabel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:32 am 

Someone can post the list of worthy,serious and good younger bands that play old school death metal?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:54 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Can anyone reccomend me some quality brutal death metal? To be honest, its not the genre I'd listen to on a daily basis but acts like Internal Suffering, Mindly Rotten and Ancient Necropsy got me interested in it all of a sudden. Columbia seems to be a hotbed for this style nowadays...

I need help finding fresh sounding, technically proficient, but always chaotic brutal dm with very little or no breakdowns. DO NOT reccomend me stuff like Origin/Brain Drill/Decrepit Birth.

I'm not a fan of brutal death, either, but Beheaded and Deeds of Flesh might work.

avrlabel wrote:
Someone can post the list of worthy,serious and good younger bands that play old school death metal?

Repugnant

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:26 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Kruel wrote:
From Wikipedia:

Some bands occasionally alternate fast and aggressive parts with slower grooves and breakdowns. Bands who focus more on these slower groovy parts and breakdowns are sometimes referred to as slam death metal.

So according to that, essentially, most deathcore is slam death? That's the way I interpret it, anyway.

The difference lies in the breakdowns. Deathcore has more chugalicious pit ninja breakdowns, whereas Slam Death is more bouncy mosh riffs like what Dying Fetus likes to do, and what Cryptopsy used to like to do.

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:06 pm 

I picked up Grave's "You'll never see" yesterday.
Also starting to dig Entombed, Bloodbath and Insision.

I used to think of Gothenburg or maybe Edge of Sanity when swedish death metal was mentioned.
Now, all I can say is "PLEASE RECOMMAND ME MORE SWEDISH DEATH METAL, I LOVE IT!!"

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:37 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:

I used to think of Gothenburg or maybe Edge of Sanity when swedish death metal was mentioned.
Now, all I can say is "PLEASE RECOMMAND ME MORE SWEDISH DEATH METAL, I LOVE IT!!"

Dismember, early At The Gates and Therion, Unleashed...

But my favourites are Nihlist (thrashy) and Morbid (with Dead of Mayhem).

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:44 pm 

In Battle, although Kingdom of Fear is one of the worst albums Ive heard in a long time and there title album sounds more like Black Metal rather than Death.

PriestofSadWings
Bishop of Dark Spaces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm 

Kruel wrote:
BlindTortureKill wrote:

Dismember, early At The Gates and Therion, Unleashed...

But my favourites are Nihlist (thrashy) and Morbid (with Dead of Mayhem).

Seriously, there must be about two people in Sweden who don't play in metal bands. Had Manowar's third album been written today, it might have been called Hail To Sweden.

Carnage, Sorcery, early Therion, Unleashed, Cemetary, Hypocrisy, Excruciate, Desultory (don't get their last album), God Macabre, Necrophobic... and on and on and on.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:05 pm 

PriestofSadWings wrote:
Seriously, there must be about two people in Sweden who don't play in metal bands. Had Manowar's third album been written today, it might have been called Hail To Sweden.

Wasnt that an album by ABBA?
:scratch:

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:07 pm 

iAm wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

I don't think so.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA_discography

delayedreaction
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:16 pm 

I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for here but maybe some people will understand what I'm saying and can help me out. Carcass's "Necroticism" was my first DM album and I still think its absolutely brilliant. However, Carcass never really did anything like it again and I haven't found any bands that really continue that trend of great death metal. The elements of that album I can identify as contributing to its excellence are the riffs and complex structures of the songs, complete with melodic (but atonal) leads and not too deep but not too melodeth vocals. Perhaps the only band I've found to come close to this is Entombed on "Left Hand Path" but of course the vocals are much deeper. Thanks in advance if anyone gets what I mean and has recommendations.

Anyways, I'd also recommend the Nihilist demos (pre-Entombed) to any fan of death metal, holy fuck do they rule!

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:17 pm 

Kruel wrote:
iAm wrote:
PriestofSadWings wrote:

I don't think so.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABBA_discography

I think I may have seen it here:
http://www.warlordclothing.com/store/ca ... ory_id=258

Guess its just a print on a t-shirt.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:19 pm 

Can anyone recommend some very dark, atmospheric death metal, possibly with keyboards? I'm thinking stuff like Amorphis (Privilege of Evil era) or Thou Shalt Suffer.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:21 pm 

Nocturnus - The Key, absolutely. Also Dementia - In the Core of the Dark Ages.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:22 pm 

rexxz wrote:
Nocturnus - The Key, absolutely. Also Dementia - In the Core of the Dark Ages.

I have The Key and their 1993 EP, both of which are great. I'll check out Dementia.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:29 pm 

Dementia is great. Also try Babylon Sad's Kyrie. Prog old school death.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 pm 

Avatar (Rou) has a release that I own that is pretty interesting. It's more on the progressive side and isn't as dark as you'd probably like (well you can judge for yourself). It's called The Alchemist, keep a look out for it.

HighPlainsDrifter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:34 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:
Right there with you, man. I can't get enough of it.

Basically just look at Priest's post for great Swedeath recs. He hit the nail on the head.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:37 am 

Don't forget about Manslaughter, Morpheus, Crematory, Epitaph, Carbonize or Cemetery. All Swedish classics.

bloody_spike
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:52 am 

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
MikeyC wrote:
666head wrote:
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me bands that are just pure speed, no slow downs, no breakdowns, just faster-than-the-speed-of-light death metal, like Vader's The Art of War EP. Thanks in advance.

Try Origin. That's the best I can think of.
I'll toss in Krisiun, too.

Decepit Birth's first album, too.

Mr_Lender
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:08 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:

I got Defeated Sanity and Internal Suffering together, and if I'm listening to one, I'm listening to the other straight afterwards

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 289  Next