Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Psycrypt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 11:44 am 

I've had a rec thread before, but what I am looking for is something really diseased sounding, sort of like Cryptopsy's first two ("Ungentle Exhumation" and "Blasphemy Made Flesh"). If it can fit the description of something unholy and purely diseased, please recommend it to me. So, we'll be looking for slightly sub-par production, tremolo-picked guitars, audible bass in some parts, good drumming, and out of this fuckin' world vocals.
Thanks in advance.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 12:01 pm 

Hmm... not too many albums sound close to Cryptopsy's early releases.. Probably Suffocation's Human Waste, Kataklysm's Mystical Gate of Reincarnation or Carcass's Symphonies of Sickness might be you're thing. But they're not really a close call.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:13 pm 

NNeverland wrote:
I have checked the 2 pages for 1 hour. I like Cancer from England.
But I need more recommendations. I am currently looking for bands that formed in before 95' and not brutal, not atmospheric, not doomy style, some kind of pure death metal.
Bands like, such as Solstice, Cancer etc..

You might like Abhoth, Altar (Swe) and Cartilage (Fin). They didn't produce any full lenghts though.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:16 pm 

Not really asking for recs, but I'm just dropping in to say that Incantation rule. Some of the most wild, original, evil stuff I've ever heard.

invoked
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:18 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
Not really asking for recs, but I'm just dropping in to say that Incantation rule. Some of the most wild, original, evil stuff I've ever heard.

I'm seconding this. I checked out some of their later albums, like Infernal Storm, and it is much better than I expected. Nothing beats the albums with Craig, though.

Vorga
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:17 pm 

I'm looking for stuff that sounds similar to The Monolith Deathcult's latest album, Triumvirate. I suppose this is a something of an odd request because I don't usually enjoy brutal death metal, but I really can't get enough of this album. The industrial and symphonic influences make for a sound that is at once immediately catchy and almost overwhelmingly epic. Deus Ex Machina, Demigod, and Den Ensomme Nordens Dronning are my favorite tracks.

Given that I love this, but tend not to like pure, blasting brutal death metal (like Origin or Odious Mortem), what else might I enjoy?

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:32 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
Foxx wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for some death metal which has a similar vibe and sound to Darkthrone's Soulside Journey - that ominous, doomy sound that is present on that album. Any suggestions?

Drowned (Ger)'s Viscera Terræ EP. Sounds like a mix between Soulside Journey and Incantation. Top-notch death metal.

Speaking of which, NP: Incantation - Demonic Incarnate

I'm listening to that EP now, and it is pretty much the sort of thing that I am looking for. Thanks :thumbsup:

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:13 pm 

EverSoSentient wrote:
Right,

one of my favourite DM bands is StarGazer. I just love how the manage to sound mystic, occult, flowing, esoteric and straight up DM at the same time. Are there any other bands in a similiar vein? Note that I'm after the sound and not lyrical concept or general theme of the band, so if you're not familiar with StarGazer and their work ("The Scream that tore the Sky" in particular) don't bother with replying. For example, while Portal is also heavy on the occult and the esoteric they don't share the same sound as StarGazer.

Hey,

I too am obsessed with StarGazer's sound and have not heard many things much like it. However, here are some that come to mind:
The Chasm- Deathcult for eternity: The triumph
Misery's Omen- Misery's Omen (Maleficunt Popechoker is The Serpent Inquisitor from StarGazer)
Sarsekim- Aegri Somnia Vana
Darkthrone- Soulside Journey (not black metal, more death)
Solecism- Eos (more prog-like however, but still very StarGazer-esque)

Thats all that remotely comes close to The Scream That Tore the Sky, that in itself is a unique achievement. If you have difficulty in finding any of them, feel free to pm me.

Nguruvilu
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 9:19 pm 

iAm wrote:
I have been getting into more old school Death Metal lately. Bands like Death, Messiah, Possesed, Morbid Angel and Vader make me very happy. I prefer brutality over technical wankery, and burped/pig squeals are just annoying.

Whats with all the -Metal help threads lately? Leave for a day or two and theres one for every Metal sub genre out there.

You might want to check out the following:

Necroccultus: Encircling the Mysterious Necrorevelation
Necrovore: Divus du Mortuus
Nirvana 2002: Disembodied Spirits
Martire: Martire (Ep)
Imprecation: Ceremony of Nine Angles

Again, feel free to pm if need any help finding them.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:54 am 

Rippingheadache wrote:
NNeverland wrote:
But I need more recommendations. I am currently looking for bands that formed in before 95' and not brutal, not atmospheric, not doomy style, some kind of pure death metal.

Early Konkhra or Morgoth might be you're thing.

I have already been into Morgoth's first 2 EPs and full lenght Cursed and Odium.

Sexual Affective Disorder by Konkhra you mean?

By the way these guys, Desultory reformed! I liked materials.
http://www.myspace.com/desultoryofficial

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:57 am 

Qwerr wrote:
NNeverland wrote:

You might like Abhoth, Altar (Swe) and Cartilage (Fin). They didn't produce any full lenghts though.

OK, i am gonna check.. Too many bands named as Altar :grumble:

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:34 am 

NNeverland wrote:
I have already been into Morgoth's first 2 EPs and full length Cursed and Odium.

Sexual Affective Disorder by Konkhra you mean?

Yup.

You should also check out Hellwitch's Syzygial Miscreancy. Don't let the word technical fool you, sometimes these guys can play straight up awesome death/thrash. Plus, it has that familiar Scott Burns production.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 7:53 am 

No, no.. I prefer technical over brutality. I check Syzygial Miscreancy out right now. :thumbsup:

He_Who_Isnt
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:06 am 

What about brutal technical death? like some Decapitated

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 am 

Nguruvilu wrote:
iAm wrote:
I have been getting into more old school Death Metal lately. Bands like Death, Messiah, Possesed, Morbid Angel and Vader make me very happy. I prefer brutality over technical wankery, and burped/pig squeals are just annoying.

Whats with all the -Metal help threads lately? Leave for a day or two and theres one for every Metal sub genre out there.

You might want to check out the following:

Necroccultus: Encircling the Mysterious Necrorevelation
Necrovore: Divus du Mortuus
Nirvana 2002: Disembodied Spirits
Martire: Martire (Ep)
Imprecation: Ceremony of Nine Angles

Again, feel free to pm if need any help finding them.

I will begin looking for them tomarrow, thanks.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:13 am 

He_Who_Isnt wrote:

I don't really like brutal tech death, but Spawn of Possession, along with Decapitated that you have mentioned, was the only (as far as I can remember right now) band of that style that I felt was enjoyable.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Pathological_Frolic
Butterfly Sister Rosemary

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:19 am 

He_Who_Isnt wrote:

Like, early Decapitated? Not many that follow that exact style, but you might like some Visceral Bleeding, Defeated Sanity, Gorgasm (More brutal, but the arrangements are plenty tech-heavy), Atheretic (Probably the closest thing you'll find to Decapitated), and, if you're in the mood for a particularly strong mind-fuck, Malignancy.

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:22 am 

This is probably a very vague request, but I'm looking for some "fresh" death metal. Something that makes it stand out, but isnt gimmicky, something that offer something new.
Death metal is eternal.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:25 am 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
This is probably a very vague request, but I'm looking for some "fresh" death metal. Something that makes it stand out, but isnt gimmicky, something that offer something new.

Agressor from France! I just wrote a review for its album Towards Beyond for the review challenge, so check it out. This is quite thrash-sounding, but really this sounds like nothing else without coming off as overtly weird and strange.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:26 am 

Mucopus are fairly unique, and few bands sound like Benighted. Do you want stuff that's come out in the last ten or five years, or do you just want unique DM in general?

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:29 am 

Just unique stuff, not picky about time.

@Kruel: Not getting any samples from the "Towards Beyond" album, however I like what I hear from "Spirit of Evil". Will check out, thanks.
Death metal is eternal.

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:33 am 

Well, I'm sure you've heard of Ripping Corpse, with their first album being one of the more "creative" albums I've heard in a while from death metal, Fleshless' "To Kill For Skin", and then there's Mephistopheles (Aus)

RedMisanthrope

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:37 am 

Pathological_Frolic wrote:
Mephistopheles (Aus)

A bit too self indulgent at times, but hey it's got Chalky on vocals, worth a deeper listen.
Death metal is eternal.

Pathological_Frolic

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:40 am 

The new one is going to. It should also be better musically from some practices I've seen of theirs. He just did some guest stuff on the last one.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:41 am 

RM, You might want to check out Fist in Fetus. Perhaps too much grind for your liking, but their unique combination with classical music is pretty damn cool. Plus, you can download the EP for free...

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:20 am 

He_Who_Isnt wrote:

Good question. Like some from Florida Brutality. They have just reformed.
http://www.myspace.com/brutalityflorida

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:29 am 

Hey, can anyone suggest to me some bands which have vocals which are very similar to those of Obituary? Cheers.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 pm 

Foxx wrote:
Hey, can anyone suggest to me some bands which have vocals which are very similar to those of Obituary? Cheers.

Viogression. Their style is strikingly similiar to that of Obituary, from the vocals to the doomy/thrashy riffwork. I think you should really like them.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:44 pm 

Kruel wrote:
RedMisanthrope wrote:

Agressor from France! I just wrote a review for its album Towards Beyond for the review challenge, so check it out. This is quite thrash-sounding, but really this sounds like nothing else without coming off as overtly weird and strange.

What would be a good album to start?

edit: beside Towards Beyond, of course.

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:46 pm 

Neverending Destiny. Although, many have pointed out that the cover art is just plain ugly.

colin040
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:51 pm 

Can anyone recommand me death metal similar to Testimony of the ancients by Pestilence? catchy and melodic riffs and not too brutal vocals please. :)

Thanks in advance!

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:07 pm 

So give it a try on http://www.myspace.com/officialguttedpage

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:08 pm 

Rippingheadache wrote:
Foxx wrote:

Viogression. Their style is strikingly similiar to that of Obituary, from the vocals to the doomy/thrashy riffwork.

Doomy, are you sure? I think it is dark..

Dark_Mewtwo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:34 pm 

first off, im thirding or fourthing the awesomeness of incantation. fantastic fucking band man.

i got a few requests :D

1) im looking for some swedish styled death metal but heavy on the punk beats. i want to hear them on pretty much every song. it would be great if you could recommend me stuff from bands outside of sweden, however. ive been listening to crimson relic lately and i cant get enough of it, the mix of texas and sweden rips, and im hoping to find a band that mixes their country's style with the dods metal sound

2) i want some death metal that has a tone similar to mordicus - dances from left. that being a trebly kind of swedeath tone. its kinda hard to describe, but if youve heard the album, you know what i mean.

3) (last one!) id like some death/thrash in the vein of insanity - death after death. that is one helluva an album. massacra is another good example of the type of stuff i want.

Violent_Offender
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:47 pm 

Pestilence - Testimony Of The Ancients
Nocturnus - The Key
Cynic - Focus
Athiest - any

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:49 am 

Kruel wrote:
Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.

Try ACROSTICHON's "Engraved in black". The vocals are not that raspy but it's not your typical growl either.

As a general rec, I'd mention INCUBATOR's "Symphonies of spiritual cannibalism" for anybody willing to find some obscure and great Death Metal.
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

Jagged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:55 am 

Foxx wrote:

They only have a demo so far, but check out CYNERYS from Spain.
The vocalist sounds like an exact John Tardy's replica.

www.myspace.com/cynerys
http://www.facebook.com/memento.mori.label
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChHTHj ... 9UqrABF7WA

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:30 pm 

Foxx wrote:

Try Asphyx as well. Excellent vocals.

Jagged wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Here is my first request: can anybody recommend me old school death metal with great vocals, like Asphyx, Obituary, and Pentacle? I can't exactly describe the vocal style except that they are more high-pitched than the usual death growls, but I think the mention of those bands will give you an idea on what type of vocals I am looking for.

Try ACROSTICHON's "Engraved in black". The vocals are not that raspy but it's not your typical growl either.

As a general rec, I'd mention INCUBATOR's "Symphonies of spiritual cannibalism" for anybody willing to find some obscure and great Death Metal.

Thanks.

EverSoSentient
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:14 am 

Nguruvilu wrote:
Hey,

I too am obsessed with StarGazer's sound and have not heard many things much like it. However, here are some that come to mind:
The Chasm- Deathcult for eternity: The triumph
Misery's Omen- Misery's Omen (Maleficunt Popechoker is The Serpent Inquisitor from StarGazer)
Sarsekim- Aegri Somnia Vana
Darkthrone- Soulside Journey (not black metal, more death)
Solecism- Eos (more prog-like however, but still very StarGazer-esque)

Thats all that remotely comes close to The Scream That Tore the Sky, that in itself is a unique achievement. If you have difficulty in finding any of them, feel free to pm me.

Ah, another with good taste. The Chasm I know of, and enjoy quite a bit. I've been meaning to check out Misery's Omen for some time too, I'll get to them eventually. Darkthrone is, of course, a personal favourite. Not quite StarGazer esque though. I'll be sure to check both Sarsekim and Solecism out. Thanks!

**EDIT**
Sampled all I didn't know of from their respective Myspace pages. Misery's Omen is as close as it's going to get I guess. I'm actually pretty amazed that no band I've ever heard of comes close to the sound on "The Scream...", and the songs ... of the Sun, The Scream That Tore the Sky, Ye Olde Magicks and Scribe to the Forsaken Mother in particular. They're just such harmonious compositions that just flow like no other I've heard. Whenever StarGazer decides to release their next album I hope they build on the foundation laid by those songs.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 5:06 pm 

I am in desperate need of Aimoptysi stuff. Can any of you help me?

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 289  Next