Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
john888
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:33 am 

Does anyone know if the Exumer Possessed by Fire/Rising from the Sea 2 in 1 ressiue by Rock Machine is bootleg or not?

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:32 am 

Prodd wrote:
Hehe, yeah, he's fast, I think he's on thrashmageddon, but a couple of bands on your list aren't on Tmag either.

Lol, Crepuscular 'ol pal, where are you getting this music so fast? :D

There is a local metal store by the highway. It's got everything..seriously. I've gotten everything there, real nice guy too. Plus my friend who doesn't like Thrash anymore. ;D

Yeah, I live at a real conveneant location. I just moved here (Montana) so it's cool that there is people who like metal here. Despite the lack of a scene.

Last edited by Crepuscular on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:34 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
Prodd wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
I never knew Thrash was this fun...:lol:

:D Si, si.

Black-thrash, aye?
Try Destroyer 666 :headbang:.

Try Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred.
Try Necrodeath - 100% Hell.

Not really black, but it may have elements that you could like, possibly. Lemme know if you liked 'em.

I've heard of Destryer 666 and I have Unchain the Wolves :)
I'm a huge black metal fan so yeah.

Anyways, as for Hypnosia, It's fucking great, same with Necrodeath. Thanks Man!

I love black/thrash. Here are some good ones for you. Sorry for any repeats.

Desaster - These guys are at the forefront of the black/thrash. Early stuff sounds very Bathory inspired while the enw stuff has a more powerful production. Excellent modern black/thrash.

Nocturnal Graves - Fuck these guys are good and have that Australian black/thrash sound.

Ketzer - New band from Germany that sounds quite like Desaster and very promising.

Victimizer - Shame they broke up. The Final Assault was one of the top releases of 2007.

Sauron - Very raw black/thrash and very intense.

Evil Army - Blackened speed/thrash and a very promising young band.

Sithlord - Really awesome blend of black/thrash. They renamed to WItchripper.

Neutron Hammer - One of the rawer bands and one of my favorites.

Pyrotoxic - Cool retro black/thrash in the vein of stuff like Bulldozer with a female vocalist.

Nocturnal (Ger) - Arrival of the Carnivore is one of the best albums in black/thrash. Definitely check this out if you haven't done so.

Old - Another standard black/thrash band to look out for.

Lightning Swords of Death - See Old.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:36 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Holy shit that was fucking fast, I guess you were already familiar with these bands. Thats what I get for being arrogant and thinking no one listens to Flagellator. Thats awesome though, black/thrash is probably my favorite type of metal. Alright lets try some more:

Sodomizer's "The Dead Shall Rise to Kill" almost put me off with what I consider to be an overuse of samples. Pretty much every song starts with some sort of sample. The music completely makes up for this though. They are listed as Black/Speed Metal and thats probably accurate. Much cleaner sounds than I would have expected from a band called Sodomizer but they fucking slay regardless. Tight song writing, passionate vocals, great stuff. They have gotten a good deal of praise around here though, so you may be up on them already.

Next up we have "Satanic Lust" by Warhorde. I found this one-man band when I was looking over the Barbarian Wrath roster. I've never heard any clamor about this shit but the sound was tailor-made for my tastes. Its fucking FILTHY sounding first-wave BM worship. Fairly simple songs, pure headbanging madness. Should appeal to fans of early Bathory and Sodom, who don't give a fuck about "progression".

Lastly I would apprehensively suggest Abigail. They do reinforce some of the stereotypes you had against thrash. Its mostly about beer, sex, and satan. Its just a retarded good time, plain and simple. I wouldn't call the drumming "bad", just simplistic and d-beat influenced. I'd start with "Forever Street Metal Bitch" and move forward from there. Their debut album "Intercourse and Lust" was a bit more serious and BM influenced so you might like it better, personally its my least favorite.

P.S.

I don't want to be condescending but you make it sound as if you are so new to thrash I have to ask, are you familiar with the South American scene? I would think being a BM fan you would have listened to "I.N.R.I" by Sarcofago which is an obvious classic. If that sound appeals, you owe it to yourself to check out Vulcano's "Bloody Vengeance", Holocausto's "Campo de Exterminio", Sextrash's "Sexual Carnage", Mutilator's "Immortal Force", and Psychic Possessor's "Toxin Diffusion".

It's no problem man. Well, I spent me allowance already, I will have to wait to check out the bands you mentioned, I guess I'll get back to you depending on when I get money.

As soon as I saw those bands you rec'ed. I went straight to the music store, which is right across the street, which is how I got it so fast.

Also, I have Souleek..I know, shoot me. I'll buy the albums at some point, but I wanted to make sure I know what I'm buying.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:53 am 

Crepuscular wrote:
Also, I have Souleek..I know, shoot me. I'll buy the albums at some point, but I wanted to make sure I know what I'm buying.

Well I fucking despise Soulseek, but I'm not against downloading as a research method in the least. I don't make enough money or have enough time to get burned on buying shitty albums, fuck that.

I've tried to stick with semi-obscure releases because I knew others would come through with some of the more well known bands and Visionary has delivered in shining form. I can second pretty much all of those bands. I do need to check out Neutron Hammer myself.

Also if you like Destroyer 666 I'd definitely recommend checking out Gospel of the Horns. They basically sound like D666 with less atmosphere.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 am 

Yeah most of the bands I mentioned are a little more known in the genre though some are less known. Another obscure one that is definitely worth checking out is Infernäl Death from Germany.

Some other less obscure ones are Toxic Holocaust (maybe the biggest name), Urn, Audiopain, Nocturnal Breed (Fields of Rot gets tons of praise), and Inferno.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:04 am 

Visionary wrote:
Victimizer - Shame they broke up. The Final Assault was one of the top releases of 2007.

Well shit, that was one of the modern thrash albums I could really get into. That sucks.:grumble:

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:07 am 

HOLY SHIT! How the fuck did i forget Gospel of the Horns? It owns!

And Sauron broke up..... it's on blabbermouth. Never heard the band.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:10 am 

Prodd wrote:

This better not be fucking true. I'll throw up. Thrash Assault was so awesome.

ATTENTION CHAOSMONGER CONFIRM OR DENY PLEASE

edit: WHEW. The Blabbermouth article is about the dutch Sauron. I've never heard them before and don't really give a shit.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:23 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Prodd wrote:

edit: WHEW. The Blabbermouth article is about the dutch Sauron. I've never heard them before and don't really give a shit.

So I'm assuming Sauron = Awesome. I'll have to check them out.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:31 am 

They are indeed fucking amazing. Pure old school sloppy (in the best possible way) black/thrash.

I feel like I'm spamming this thread but I keep remembering black/thrash bands that I love. I don't think Usurper from Chicago have been mentioned yet. I only have Cryptobeast but judging from the reviews it looks like almost all their full lengths have been solid. I can vouch for Cryptobeast though, for a bit more modern sound that absolutely crushes everything in its path. This thread has really got me in the mood for some black/thrash so I'm probably going to check out their earlier releases.

Samples here:

http://www.myspace.com/usurpermetal

If "Kill For Metal" doesn't have you shouting along and headbanging after two listens you don't deserve ears.

Crepuscular
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:56 am 

Jonpo wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
Devastator is also a fucking thrilling band. Great drums and everything. The production doesn't even bother me though. I think I might give this album a review. I've only made one review so far. So I think it's time I contribute to the archives. Anyhow, I love how everything is so fucking hard, it makes me want to headbang but unfortunatly I'm at a library.:lol:

I'm not sure what you've heard from them but their production varies pretty significantly from album to album. Nuclear Proliferation has a pretty typical BM production. The End has a lot of low end though, and sounds quite impressive in my car when the subwoofers get to knocking. I usually don't suggest it for first time listeners though, as the album opens with back to back 10 minute songs. If you already know you dig their style you'd probably really enjoy it though.

Another recent discovery is Chainsaw (Chl). This is another one-man band who plays purely first wave BM, which of course means its thrashy as fuck. Pretty much every song is about satan. This guy plays at a ridiculously frantic pace though and hardly ever lets up. Sounds very reminiscent of the early german thrash scene, reminds of a more violent Sodom. Clocking in at 27 minutes, "The Announcement" is a fast and furious black/thrash ride. This one seems to be pretty fucking obscure though. I was never able to find any samples or downloads online, but I was so confident from the band picture/album cover/song titles that I ordered it anyways. You can also pick this one up for 5 bucks at NWN! Productions.

I am contemplating on whether I should get this. He does have an awesome band pic. ;] Eh, what the hell. NWN is down for maintenance, so Iguess I'll have to wait

DYNAROUGE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:04 am 

Visionary wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
Prodd wrote:
Crepuscular wrote:
I never knew Thrash was this fun...:lol:

:D Si, si.

Black-thrash, aye?
Try Destroyer 666 :headbang:.

Try Hypnosia - Extreme Hatred.
Try Necrodeath - 100% Hell.

Not really black, but it may have elements that you could like, possibly. Lemme know if you liked 'em.

I've heard of Destryer 666 and I have Unchain the Wolves :)
I'm a huge black metal fan so yeah.

Anyways, as for Hypnosia, It's fucking great, same with Necrodeath. Thanks Man!

I love black/thrash. Here are some good ones for you. Sorry for any repeats.

Desaster - These guys are at the forefront of the black/thrash. Early stuff sounds very Bathory inspired while the enw stuff has a more powerful production. Excellent modern black/thrash.

Nocturnal Graves - Fuck these guys are good and have that Australian black/thrash sound.

Ketzer - New band from Germany that sounds quite like Desaster and very promising.

Sauron - Very raw black/thrash and very intense.

Evil Army - Blackened speed/thrash and a very promising young band.

Sithlord - Really awesome blend of black/thrash. They renamed to WItchripper.

Neutron Hammer - One of the rawer bands and one of my favorites.

Pyrotoxic - Cool retro black/thrash in the vein of stuff like Bulldozer with a female vocalist.

Nocturnal (Ger) - Arrival of the Carnivore is one of the best albums in black/thrash. Definitely check this out if you haven't done so.

Old - Another standard black/thrash band to look out for.

Lightning Swords of Death - See Old.

Best band!
If you're a fan of them, you might also like Denouncement Pyre and Funerary Pit

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 3:38 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Prodd wrote:

According to Chaosmonger, they are going to record the new album this year, and hopefully release it, too.

Awesome band anyway.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:56 pm 

Okay, thrash enthusiasts, I present to you, FasterDisaster's top...... 43 thrash riffs of all-time!

1. Aggression – Kachina Dolls - :21
2. Artillery – Don’t Believe - :00 (intro)
3. Atrophy – Chemical Dependency - 1:15
4. Carnivore – Male Supremacy - :00 (intro)
5. D.R.I. – The Five Year Plan - 1:05
6. Dark Angel – The New Priesthood – 4:18; 6:57
7. Death Angel – Devil’s Metal - :00 to 2:16
8. Demolition Hammer – Omnivore - :00 to :09
9. Destruction – Frustrated - :19
10. Devastation – Innocent Submission - :05
11. Evildead – F.C.I. / The Awakening - :57 – 1:04
12. Forbidden – Forbidden Evil - 5:03 – 5:44
13. Fueled By Fire – Betrayel - :37
14. Fueled By Fire – Metal Forever – 1:57 – 2:15
15. Fueled By Fire – Command Of The Beast - :45 - :52; 1:02 – 1:29
16. Heathen – Hypnotized – 2:37 – 3:17
17. Holy Terror – Debt Of Pain - :00 (intro)
18. Holy Terror – The Immoral Wasteland :00 (intro)
19. Holy Terror – A Fool’s Gold / Terminal Humour :00 – 1:37
20. Hypnosia – The Last Remains - :08
21. Incubus – Certain Accuracy - :32 - :40
22. Incubus – Hunger For Power - :43 – 1:01
23. Kreator – Agents Of Brutality 1:32 – 1:36
24. Kreator – Flag Of Hate - :00 (intro)
25. Kreator – Leave This World Behind :00 - :43
26. Kreator – Black Sunrise - :05
27. Kreator – Ghetto War - :26 - :39
28. Kreator – System Decay - :54 – 1:13
29. Laaz Rockit – Curiosity Kills - :00 -:15
30. Merciless Death – Ready To Kill - :28 - :45
31. Morbid Saint – Assassin - :00 (intro)
32. Nocturnal Breed – Code Of Conduct - :00 (intro)
33. Nuclear Assault – Cross Of Iron – 2:12 – 2:33
34. Protector – The Mercenary - :19 - :40
35. Razor – Road Gunner - :00 (intro)
36. Razor – Discipline - :22 - :44
37. Sacrifice – In Defiance - :28
38. Sodom – Lords Of Depravity – 1:07
39. Terror 2000 – Firebolt - :17
40. Toxic Holocaust – Warfare - :00 (intro)
41. Toxik – Door To Hell - :00 (intro)
42. Vendetta – Metal Law - :10
43. Vio-Lence – Twelve Gauge Justice - :00 – 4:46 (whole song)

This originally started as a top ten list, but I was at 20 at the H's, so I just figured I'd keep going. I'll go through my other iPod and make another list, alphabatize both of them and then narrow it down to the best possible riffs.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:04 pm 

Your list is automatically invalidated due to the lack of Material World Paranoia and Above the Ashes. ;)

My list is better anyway. :p
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:06 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Your list is automatically invalidated due to the lack of Material World Paranoia and Above the Ashes. ;)

I don't like Coma Of Souls. I don't know what you see in that album. Besides, most of the riffs on there kick the shit out of that whole album. :D

EDIT: I also need to add crucial bands like Accuser, Agony and Darkness.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:11 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Kruel wrote:

I don't like Coma Of Souls. I don't know what you see in that album. Besides, most of the riffs on there kick the shit out of that whole album. :D

And you put Agents of Brutality??

Anyway, Coma of Souls isn't exactly a really great album, but Material World Paranoia's last riff is like... that single riff actually beats the rest of the album.

Oh, and I think I'll be re-listening and feeling those riffs...

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:15 pm 

Kruel wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Kruel wrote:

And you put Agents of Brutality??

Anyway, Coma of Souls isn't exactly a really great album, but Material World Paranoia's last riff is like... that single riff actually beats the rest of the album.

Oh, and I think I'll be re-listening and feeling those riffs...

Agents Of Brutality is a killer track. I don't like most of that album, but I fell in love with that track. The riffing is orgasmic. And so are the lyrics.

Some of the ones I put are a little out of whack. Not all, but a couple are.

_Aargh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:24 pm 

The best Artillery riff is the last riff of At War With Science, which definitely is one of the best thrash riffs ever.

DYNAROUGE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:53 am 

Can anyone recommend me some old-school thrash in the vein of CARNIVORE or EXHUMER?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:09 am 

DYNAROUGE wrote:
Can anyone recommend me some old-school thrash in the vein of CARNIVORE or EXHUMER?

You meant Exumer right? If so, you might like Grinder (Ger). Onslaught's "The Force" too. Some random ones...

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:43 am 

The lack of Ulysses Siren in FD's list is disturbing. Also, where the hell are Overkill and Slayer?

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:46 am 

Dynarouge try Assassin - The Upcoming Terror

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 3:36 am 

DGYDP wrote:
The lack of Ulysses Siren in FD's list is disturbing. Also, where the hell are Overkill and Slayer?

Higher! Higher! Feel the fire!
She burns at the stake like a witch!
Kill her! Slash her, slit her thoat!
There's nothing I dispise more... than a bitch!!!
Burn her tonight!
Run, hide from the Demon's fate,
To late, the fire is lit!!!

Dang, I am totally blasting their debut now.

My review doesn't lie! I think I owe Overkill's debut for really sparking my passion for thrash. I gotta admit though, I never really got into anything else they've done. I can get into just about everythig up to Horrorscope, but only their debut has really left a "mark" for me.

Mortlock
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 5:31 am 

Pre-order now

www.myspace.com/imminentpsychosisoz

South Australian thrash/death metal.

DYNAROUGE
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:02 am 

Xeogred wrote:
DYNAROUGE wrote:

You meant Exumer right? If so, you might like Grinder (Ger). Onslaught's "The Force" too. Some random ones...

Yeah, I did. Sorry about the typo.

Thanks for the recs!

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:00 pm 

For anyone who is looking for some oldschool sounding crossover then Cross Examination should interest you.
http://www.myspace.com/crossexamination

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 1:53 pm 

Thanks for the thread, folks. Many bands posted here were unknown by me. I´ll check them out.

By the way, LotD´s "Feel The Blade" isn´t actually a new album, since it was released in late 2003 as "Elegy For The Weak", when the band was still called Occult. The only differences are the cover and the tracklist order.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 8:32 pm 

DGYDP wrote:

:lol:

That's like saying that a black metal album favorites list is invalid because it doesn't have Emperor and Mayhem in the top 5.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:50 am 

Not really.

Also, yeah Feel the Blade kicks ass. Going to see Legion of the Damned live in July, together with Exodus, Primal Fear, Doro, Benedictum, 3 Inches of Blood and The Lucifer Principle.

Prodd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:14 am 

I guess I'm the only one who found LotD average...

Grazze
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:07 am 

Didn't find this mentioned but Metal Church is good!

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:38 am 

Grazze wrote:

Fact.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:42 am 

Prodd wrote:

I listened to a few songs just here and there and didn't hear anything that made me want to check out a full-length. They struck me as pretty watered down.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:37 pm 

I can't remeber if Dew Scented or Headshot came first, but they sound like they ripped each other off... minus the blastbeats of Dew Scented and the vocals. Everything else sounds exactly the same.

I listened to the new Headshot album and I said, "lol Dew Scented?"

potassium_cianide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 pm 

Grazze wrote:

No, it´s not good at all.

It´s AWESOME.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:43 pm 

Metal Church's first album was the best thing they ever did. The rest of their albums are crappy rock albums. They really lost the ambience of the original album, which made them exactly who they were. Now, they are just really crappy mid-paced heavy metal.

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:23 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Prodd wrote:

I listened to a few songs just here and there and didn't hear anything that made me want to check out a full-length. They struck me as pretty watered down.

They have a song or riff here and there which is fucking heavy but much of it is just watered down groove as you said. Taste of the Whip, Demonfist and the end of Undead Stillborn are really good. The only way for me to enjoy the rest is turn up the stereo and the bass.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:23 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Metal Church's first album was the best thing they ever did. The rest of their albums are crappy rock albums. They really lost the ambience of the original album, which made them exactly who they were. Now, they are just really crappy mid-paced heavy metal.

FUCK YOU METAL CHURCH.

The fuck it is. The Dark beats out the s/t by a nose. And they didn't lose ambiance. They lost David Wayne.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 136  Next