Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zakillah
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
EDIT: So...what other bands are good. So far I've heard of Hatchet, Bonded by Blood, Fueled by Fire, Warbringer, Torture Squad, Legion of the Damned, Evile. I'm looking for Legion of the Damned/Torture Squad/Warbringer-alikes mostly.

Long overdue recommendation of Demolition Hammer.
Schizo
Solstice

The_Boss
Set Abominae

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:04 am 

Wra1th1s wrote:
The_Boss wrote:
There's nothing wrong with singing about killing posers? Are you a poser??

Of course I am, I listen to At The Gates and secretly jack-off to Slipknot while claiming that Thrash is my favorite genre when all I know is St. Anger era Metallica ;)

It's not that I DON'T like songs about killing posers, it's just that the whole theme becomes really-really tired after 5 songs in one fucking album.

Well you said all Fueled by Fire sing about is killing posers, actually on the album Spread the Fire there are only 2 songs where they sing of slaying posers, Thrash Is Back and Massive Execution.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:41 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Wra1th1s wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

Of course I am, I listen to At The Gates and secretly jack-off to Slipknot while claiming that Thrash is my favorite genre when all I know is St. Anger era Metallica ;)

It's not that I DON'T like songs about killing posers, it's just that the whole theme becomes really-really tired after 5 songs in one fucking album.

Well you said all Fueled by Fire sing about is killing posers, actually on the album Spread the Fire there are only 2 songs where they sing of slaying posers, Thrash Is Back and Massive Execution.

Exactly. This is everybody's complaint about the album. Jesus, get some new ears.

Betrayal and Metal Forever have such awesome riffing in them. SWEET JESUS OF NAZARETH.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:56 am 

Fueled by Fire is all about crushing posers really. The album cover (not the original self-released one)even has a thrasher choking an emo kid with a chain. There was a problem with Bonded by Blood which was really just a misunderstanding but they started accusing them of being posers and such. Really though Merciless Death were even worse about it with the poser thing. Doesn't matter to me though as the music is good. I don't care whether a band is trying to fulfill every cliche there is as long as the music is good.

If anyone is looking for new thrash bands then check these links.
http://www.thrashunlimited.com/forum/vi ... 0f96d32d5d
http://www.thrashunlimited.com/forum/vi ... 0f96d32d5d (mix of new and old)
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:34 pm 

Visionary wrote:
Fueled by Fire is all about crushing posers really. The album cover (not the original self-released one)even has a thrasher choking an emo kid with a chain. There was a problem with Bonded by Blood which was really just a misunderstanding but they started accusing them of being posers and such. Really though Merciless Death were even worse about it with the poser thing. Doesn't matter to me though as the music is good. I don't care whether a band is trying to fulfill every cliche there is as long as the music is good.

So FbF accused of BbB of being posers? Why? Also could explain the Merciless Death poser thing? Was it related to FbF accusing BbB or no? Can you put the situation in context? I'll save what I'm going to say for when I have a context of the situation.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:38 pm 

Yeah I'm interested to hear more about that too. Do you have a link to an interview or something where they said that?

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:43 pm 

It was a bunch of vaginal, middle school-esque bickering via myspace bulletins. Lets not perpetuate that type of garbage.

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:51 pm 

I would like ti hear some thrash mixed with rock'n'roll, in the same vein of Tankard - Chemical Invasion, Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua and Devastator - Chuck Berry Wants Hardcore.

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:31 pm 

I want Thrash with atmosphere!!!!

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:38 pm 

Galaahd wrote:
I would like ti hear some thrash mixed with rock'n'roll, in the same vein of Tankard - Chemical Invasion, Sacred Reich - Surf Nicaragua and Devastator - Chuck Berry Wants Hardcore.

Fingernails from Italy is exactly what you want.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:28 pm 

Thanks man, I'll give them a try tomorrow.

By the way, http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/Fingernails.html
You can download their album from here.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:30 pm 

Galaahd wrote:
Thanks man, I'll give them a try tomorrow.

By the way, http://vibrationsofdoom.com/test/test2/Fingernails.html
You can download their album from here.

Is that download page sanctioned by the band? It is against the board-rules to post unsacntioned download links, so if not, you might want to get rid of that.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 135210
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:34 pm 

Errr, I just realised that you cannot download the songs, but you can just hear them. Fuck.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:39 pm 

KilluA wrote:

Me too, especially a dark, evil atmosphere.

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:42 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
KilluA wrote:

without being black metal :p

I've been listening to Destroyer 666's 1st album and it's great but too much on the BM side

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:44 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
KilluA wrote:

Revenant is a brutal thrash band with some twisted riffs... this is the closest I can think of to "atmospheric thrash." It has a quite "ancient" feeling to it.

And I acutally find Morbid Saint to be one of the more atmospheric thrash bands. The riffs are absolutely headbangable and things are so fast, but they manage to pull off really "morbid" sounding riffs; it's not overt, but you can really feel that. Lock Up Your Children's main riff has that atmosphere, and Assassin is fraught with evil riffage, etc. And of course, the short instrumental interlude Spectrum of Death...

BlindTortureKill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 pm 

I'd like some recomandations,

I've grown a bit tired of endless speed and repetetive machine gun riffage.

Lately i've been giving Coma of Souls and South of Heaven lots of plays.
Does anybody know some quality bands, new or old, that mix up the pace more and write more open and creative riffs, whilst still retaining the energy of thrash?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:

Does anybody know some quality bands, new or old, that mix up the pace more and write more open and creative riffs, whilst still retaining the energy of thrash?

You could check out Overkill's Horrorscope.

Aspid from Russia is a tech thrash band with very complex and long riffs, without losing the agression - they have harsh vocals, buzzsaw guitar tone, speed and all that.

Amerigo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:22 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
KilluA wrote:

Try Seventh Angel
It may not be evil, but it's certainly dark and doomy and *very* atmospheric.

--"Empty Words" Symbolic, Death

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:08 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Visionary wrote:

So FbF accused of BbB of being posers? Why? Also could explain the Merciless Death poser thing? Was it related to FbF accusing BbB or no? Can you put the situation in context? I'll save what I'm going to say for when I have a context of the situation.

In response to Bonded by Blood telling fans to stop asking them to get on the Thrasho de Mayo gig and to ask the manager of the show instead Merciless Death put this myspace bulletin up.
Quote:
Quote:
BONDED BY BLOOD............ DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO GO ALL OUT THE WAY YOU HAVE TO NAME DROP PEOPLE And ACCUSE OTHERS of NOT LIKEING YOU?.

WELL CHECK IT..

FUCK BONDED BY BLOOD. THE WAY WE DO OUR SHIT IS UP TO US YOU FUCKIN POSERS!!! PISS THE FUCK OFF AND LEARN A THING OR TWO AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

i couldn't locate what FBF said though as it was deleted and I forget what it was but I think it was something along the same lines.

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:11 pm 

BlindTortureKill wrote:

Try some of the more technical bands. (Not all of these are technical just mix up the pace a lot)
Artillery - By Inheritance
Target - Mission Executed
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Cyclone Temple - I Hate Therefore I am
Vendetta - Brain Damage

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:12 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
KilluA wrote:

Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore!!!!!!!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:27 pm 

Snowgrave wrote:
KilluA wrote:

I'd say Torture - Storm Alert, possibly.

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:18 pm 

sadly, I know those albums already

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:21 pm 

Visionary wrote:
FasterDisaster wrote:
Visionary wrote:

In response to Bonded by Blood telling fans to stop asking them to get on the Thrasho de Mayo gig and to ask the manager of the show instead Merciless Death put this myspace bulletin up.
Quote:
Quote:
BONDED BY BLOOD............ DID YOU REALLY HAVE TO GO ALL OUT THE WAY YOU HAVE TO NAME DROP PEOPLE And ACCUSE OTHERS of NOT LIKEING YOU?.

WELL CHECK IT..

FUCK BONDED BY BLOOD. THE WAY WE DO OUR SHIT IS UP TO US YOU FUCKIN POSERS!!! PISS THE FUCK OFF AND LEARN A THING OR TWO AND KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

i couldn't locate what FBF said though as it was deleted and I forget what it was but I think it was something along the same lines.

Dude, but Merciless Death makes really shitty music. They don't have a lot of room to talk. Bonded By Blood is way more fresh.

KilluA
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:24 pm 

LOL... it's funny how those retro thrash bands are fighting like little kiddies

retro thrash has become similar to immortal (in their retro code of dress, and doing the cheesy poses)

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:47 pm 

It's mainly the bay area scene that bicker I think. They try to hard to get the image down and sound oldschool and exclude bands that don't do that. Merciless Death don't do it for me and just sound dull. I like Fueled by Fire though. Bonded by Blood, sounds to pop like for me. The vocals annoy me. The mp3s I have heard from the full length sound much better. It is better focused, more crunch and the vocals are somewhat better.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:59 pm 

Actually, the vocals for me are what attracted me to Bonded By Blood. They're pretty unlike anything I've heard.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:06 pm 

Bonded by Blood's riffing is very unattractive to me. The riffs somehow have that cheesy feel and all those harmonics they throw in there kill me a little.

aces_high
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:30 pm 

Amerigo wrote:
Kruel wrote:
Sepultura's first two seem to be the closest to PtK. Death/thrash, quite sloppy (at least, they're not exactly the most technical players ..), and some great riffage. Raw-produced, of course.

Agreed. Also you might like Overkill's sideproject Speed/Kill\Hate. The production is neater, but it's pretty all over the place. Vocals sound a little metalcore, but other than that they might be up your alley.

I've got those Sep albums already and I love em. I'll definitely check out Speed Kill Hate.

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:37 am 

The_Boss wrote:
Wra1th1s wrote:
The_Boss wrote:

What about "Metal Forever" or whatever that's called? I thought that was pretty anti-poser. But, like I said, I don't really have a problem with poser killing songs (I like "Poserslaughter"). Actually...now that I read the lyrics and listened to the songs again, they mostly sing about the glories of thrash and namedrop bands left and right :lol: no problem there amirite?
we sail across the sea!

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:43 am 

I mean why does it matter? I swear to god, when it comes to crushing posers, metalheads turn into wimpy fucking babies. It's treated like some sort of taboo subject.

Grow a pair for god's sake, you have ODIN and SATAN on your side!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 1:52 am 

On another note, listening to Flots & Jets 'No Place For Disgrace' right now! :metal:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'd absolutely love for this one to get a remaster like Doomsday did with the 20th Anniversary edition.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:00 am 

I don't really have a problem with any kind of thrash lyrics (except Christian lyrics... but that's a totally different matter); I can bang my head to it even if the quality of the lyrics is something of a thrid-grader's poem, as far as the music is good.

But there are certain subejects I like more than others, and poser-killing, or anything directly referring to the "metalness" in genral, isn't really the one I prefer. I'm not sure if I can exactly describe why... it's kind of what Tolkien argued in his essay on fairy tales. He says that fairy tales should not be connected with the world we live in (such as the main character being a normal boy in this Earth and one day discovering some magic powers a la Harry Potter). That's one of the reasons I like Tolkien's works; they're not connected to this world in a direct way. Maybe this wasn't much of an analogy, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say here.

That applies to my metal as well. I prefer the lyrical matter to be detached from the music I am listening to; I want it to create a wholly different surrounding that takes me to another dimension, rather than talk about the world of metal itself. If poser-killing lyrics are to be done, I want them written in a more subtle way, like Kreator's Flag of Hate.

As I said earlier, I don't really mind those lyrics, be it "poser-killing" or "metal." I'm just saying that it's not the most ideal lyrical matter I would pursue.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:08 am 

Have any bands ever combined thrash and folk metal? I think that would be an epic combination. There are a few bands on the Archives listed as playing both, though from what I've listened to, none of it really holds true..

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:10 am 

Yeah but if it's a whole two songs on an album, are you really going to mark that against it? But anyway, it seems for thrash today it's either political, anti-religious, posers or war.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:10 am 

Snowgrave wrote:
Have any bands ever combined thrash and folk metal? I think that would be an epic combination. There are a few bands on the Archives listed as playing both, though from what I've listened to, none of it really holds true..

Maybe -maybe- early Skyclad, might be worth checking out. I know their earlier stuff is a bit thrashy, though probably not as folk influenced.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:11 am 

I'm actually more interested to see some symphonic thrash metal. Any recs?

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:16 am 

Kruel wrote:
I'm actually more interested to see some symphonic thrash metal. Any recs?

I've proposed the idea many times and asked for suggestions, but there doesn't seem to truly be any. Some people say one of Sigh's albums fits, but I'm not sure which one.

One time when I asked about it, one of the mods (I think FSM) said the closest would be Science Fiction, but their album is impossible to find. :(

Wra1th1s
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:25 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I mean why does it matter? I swear to god, when it comes to crushing posers, metalheads turn into wimpy fucking babies. It's treated like some sort of taboo subject.

Grow a pair for god's sake, you have ODIN and SATAN on your side!

When the hell did ODIN come into the equation? But seriously, we DON'T need a song about killing posers...we can just do it in real life :D Besides, it's not about lyrical themes! I just find Fueled by Fire to be fucking repetitive when it comes to lyrics to the point of them being considered a joke band by me!

There! CAN WE FUCKING MOVE ON!?

On a sidenote: Can someone recommend me some brutal thrash? I already know the German bands, D.F.A., Morbid Saint, Brazilian bands, etc. Anymore good brutal thrash bands?
we sail across the sea!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 136  Next