Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:39 am 

I have been getting into more old school Death Metal lately. Bands like Death, Messiah, Possesed, Morbid Angel and Vader make me very happy. I prefer brutality over technical wankery, and burped/pig squeals are just annoying.

Whats with all the -Metal help threads lately? Leave for a day or two and theres one for every Metal sub genre out there.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:47 am 

iAm wrote:
I have been getting into more old school Death Metal lately. Bands like Death, Messiah, Possesed, Morbid Angel and Vader make me very happy. I prefer brutality over technical wankery, and burped/pig squeals are just annoying.

Just a list of some the more well-known old school DM bands:

Pestilence, Obituary, Entombed, Necrophobic, Dismember, Autopsy, Asphyx, Morpheus Descends...
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:50 am 

Kruel wrote:
iAm wrote:

Just a list of some the more well-known old school DM bands:

Pestilence, Obituary, Entombed, Necrophobic, Dismember, Autopsy, Asphyx, Morpheus Descends...

Morpheus Descends are the only ones I dont know of on there. I'll check um out. Autopsy arnt quite what Im looking for by the way, allthough a great band.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:52 am 

My bad... but Morpheus Descends is indeed one of the more brutal old school DM bands, so I guess you will like it.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:56 am 

Any album recs?

I also want to emphasize on Messiah, I love the Punk-ish feel they have in their music. I guess a similar band would be The Chasm, but thats all I know.

2Eagle333
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:24 am 

666head wrote:
I was wondering if you guys could recommend me bands that are just pure speed, no slow downs, no breakdowns, just faster-than-the-speed-of-light death metal

Rebaelliun?

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:41 am 

HumanWaste5150 wrote:
Can anyone recommend me a band that uses a good deal of acoustic interludes and breaks? I'm thinking of a death metal version of early Ulver. I'd prefer if the acoustic breaks were similar to Dissection and early Ulver. i don't care what kind of death metal as I am a fan of all kinds.

A sweet band is Thalarion. They are a sick progressive death/doom band from Slovakia. They don't use acoustic breaks, but alot of their songs will have slower breaks and interludes of more drawn out notes. And it's cool because unlike alot of other death/doom these guys always keep it harsher vocals, even during the breaks.

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 pm 

Blackend wrote:
Can somebody recommend technical dm bands whose vocals sound like Arsis and At the Gates? Sorry for the vagueness.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 pm 

I've been really into really evil doomy death metal with a dark, almost haunting atmosphere to it but still having a good sense of melody. Bands like Cenotaph, The Chasm, Incantation, and early Amorphis are good examples of what I'm looking for.

HighPlainsDrifter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:58 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:
I've been really into really evil doomy death metal with a dark, almost haunting atmosphere to it but still having a good sense of melody. Bands like Cenotaph, The Chasm, Incantation, and early Amorphis are good examples of what I'm looking for.
Disincarnate fits like a glove, here.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:17 pm 

HighPlainsDrifter wrote:
ThrashingMad wrote:
Disincarnate fits like a glove, here.

Great, just what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:19 pm 

Random post:

Martriden's album is one of the best death metal releases of 2008.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:35 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Random post:

Martriden's album is one of the best death metal releases of 2008.

I wouldn't say the best, but it really is very good.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 pm 

No not the best, but there haven't been many I've enjoyed, so it ranks up there. Hour of Penance is decent, Arghoslent is good, Origin, The Day Everything Became Nothing...not many others I've liked a lot.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Blackend
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:23 pm 

You know what fuck you guys.

Snowgrave
Under The Plaintive Sky

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:25 pm 

:lol: Just keep posting it until someone answers you.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

Messiah!

I think I may be looking for the same stuff you are.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:43 pm 

Blackend wrote:
You know what fuck you guys.

Sorry, mate, I would answer you but I really don't know the vocalists. Are there descriptions you can give of them?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

EverSoSentient
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:22 am 

AHEM!
EverSoSentient wrote:
one of my favourite DM bands is StarGazer. I just love how the manage to sound mystic, occult, flowing, esoteric and straight up DM at the same time. Are there any other bands in a similiar vein? Note that I'm after the sound and not lyrical concept or general theme of the band, so if you're not familiar with StarGazer and their work ("The Scream that tore the Sky" in particular) don't bother with replying. For example, while Portal is also heavy on the occult and the esoteric they don't share the same sound as StarGazer.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 2:35 am 

EverSoSentient wrote:
AHEM!
EverSoSentient wrote:
one of my favourite DM bands is StarGazer. I just love how the manage to sound mystic, occult, flowing, esoteric and straight up DM at the same time. Are there any other bands in a similiar vein? Note that I'm after the sound and not lyrical concept or general theme of the band, so if you're not familiar with StarGazer and their work ("The Scream that tore the Sky" in particular) don't bother with replying. For example, while Portal is also heavy on the occult and the esoteric they don't share the same sound as StarGazer.

I haven't heard that one, but I've heard Occidentale Magick and will base my rec on this. I think Morbid Angel's Steve Tucker-era albums are the closest it gets to Stargazer... sorry for recommending such a famous band's works, but since you got no replies and had to bump your rec, I thought it would be better to give at least some response.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:18 pm 

I've heard good things about Ingnis. Are they any good?

http://www.metalfighters.com/

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:13 pm 

I want some cryptic and evil sounding death metal in the vein of Immolation and Incantation. Bass-heavy production and fast/slow changes are a plus.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:16 pm 

mikko1 wrote:
in the vein of Immolation

Familiar with Drawn & Quartered?

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:04 am 

Jonpo wrote:
mikko1 wrote:

I'm familiar with them but not really into them. I was hoping for something even heavier in terms of production and atmosphere.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:07 am 

mikko1 wrote:
Jonpo wrote:
mikko1 wrote:

I'm familiar with them but not really into them. I was hoping for something even heavier in terms of production and atmosphere.

Try Drowned (Ger). Their EP is amazing, if you can't find it on the net I might upload it for you. Absolutely amazing death metal, some of the best in years. Sounds like a mix between Incantation and Darkthrone's Soulside Journey with a very heavy, Incantation style bassy production.

Qwerr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 9:38 am 

mikko1 wrote:
I want some cryptic and evil sounding death metal in the vein of Immolation and Incantation. Bass-heavy production and fast/slow changes are a plus.

Deteriorot are exactly what you're looking for.

mikko1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:47 pm 

Qwerr wrote:
mikko1 wrote:

Deteriorot are exactly what you're looking for.

Been meaning to check them out for quite some time. Thanks! I'll check out Drowned too. Didn't they have a split with Brodequin or is this a different Drowned?

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:45 pm 

Any recommendations for the most monsterous, inhuman and well-produced vocals out there today?

Nergal of Behemoth is my favorite vocalist at the moment. To narrow it down a bit, I like brutal and blackened dm, and Im generally looking for bands that are currently active and have a release within the last year or two.

Chrystus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

I'm looking for death metal in the vein of Vader's "Morbid Reich" or something similar to early Kataklysm. Deep growling vocals and just an overall deep and heavy sound. Also, very fast playing along with very loud, fast and relentless drumming and if you heard Vader's "Morbid Reich" demo then you know what I mean.

For my second request, I would like something 'necro' sounding. Like Vader's "Necrolust" demo. I love the vocals on "Necrolust," they sound very raw and raspy as if the singer has a sore throat, and forces out screams and shouts. And as for the guitars, well I don't think guitars were even used, it sounds more like a turbo injected chainsaw that spews nothing but aggressive riffs than a guitar. So, to sum it up, I would like something raw and aggressive with 'buzzsaw' like guitars.
Let us ride the winds of blood

LiViNgDeAdVirUs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:12 pm 

Chrystus wrote:
For my second request, I would like something 'necro' sounding. Like Vader's "Necrolust" demo. I love the vocals on "Necrolust," they sound very raw and raspy as if the singer has a sore throat, and forces out screams and shouts. And as for the guitars, well I don't think guitars were even used, it sounds more like a turbo injected chainsaw that spews nothing but aggressive riffs than a guitar. So, to sum it up, I would like something raw and aggressive with 'buzzsaw' like guitars.

Decapitated, maybe?

SKINHERALIVE
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 10:23 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

Funebrarum, Dream Death, and early Cianide!

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:26 pm 

Everyone check out Incantation because they are awesome.

I freaking love Incantation.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

SiorehymLincoln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:07 am 

For the bands in the vein of Immolation you could check out Ingurgitating Oblivion, they remind me somewhat of Immolation here and there.

For the insanely fast and brutal try out Nefas, <--- nonstop insanity from what i remember. Another one would be Brodequin, Origin was a great example though.

Also for those looking for death metal with keys or just really evil and dark sounding stuff, i think Iniquity's first album Serenadium fits this great, they only use the keys a few times on the album but when they do its intense, also one of the songs has an evil as fuck piano outro.

BTW: i just have to say this, Im listening to the latest Deathspell Omega release for the first time........holy fuck!

SiorehymLincoln
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:34 am 

ASupervillain wrote:
hippiedrow wrote:
I've been hoping for a thread like this to pop up

Hacksaw to the throat- Don't let the name fool you these guys are epic, intelligent and they really know how to write a song.

I must thank you man, ive been a fan of all the bands you mentioned here for a long time, but i never took the time to listen to this one, unfortunately mostly because of the name like most people. excellent music and vocals, the whole sound is amazing.

NNeverland
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:15 am 

I have checked the 2 pages for 1 hour. I like Cancer from England.
But I need more recommendations. I am currently looking for bands that formed in before 95' and not brutal, not atmospheric, not doomy style, some kind of pure death metal.
Bands like, such as Solstice, Cancer etc..

~Guest 93445
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:21 am 

the hunger lingers............................

noobsofsocialreality
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:13 am 

Everyone should check out Denial Fiend for some good ol' Death fucking Thrash. The whole band is pretty much Massacre(US) but with a different genre and name. These guys seriously fucking rule.

http://www.last.fm/user/AmberBazaar

Foxx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 3:29 am 

Hey, I'm looking for some death metal which has a similar vibe and sound to Darkthrone's Soulside Journey - that ominous, doomy sound that is present on that album. Any suggestions?

~Guest 74046
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:36 am 

NNeverland wrote:
I have checked the 2 pages for 1 hour. I like Cancer from England.
But I need more recommendations. I am currently looking for bands that formed in before 95' and not brutal, not atmospheric, not doomy style, some kind of pure death metal.
Bands like, such as Solstice, Cancer etc..

Early Konkhra or Morgoth might be you're thing.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 6:39 am 

Foxx wrote:
Hey, I'm looking for some death metal which has a similar vibe and sound to Darkthrone's Soulside Journey - that ominous, doomy sound that is present on that album. Any suggestions?

Drowned (Ger)'s Viscera Terræ EP. Sounds like a mix between Soulside Journey and Incantation. Top-notch death metal.

Speaking of which, NP: Incantation - Demonic Incarnate

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 290  Next