Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fanfarigoule
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:55 pm 

Fulgurius wrote:
and in continuation of this another Munruthel's project Silentium (Ukr) http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=44326 also not metal and no world distribution.

Gone.

duncang
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:59 pm 

I sent a report on the In Flames thing, but I realise the alternative I suggested was way too long (it had three different genres for time periods), but really alternative rock is worse than modern rock. In Flames have always been a metal band, it's just that there's been a lot of different influences. It's hard to say [genre] (old), [genre] (new), either, because while you can put everything up to Clayman in melodic death/gothenburg, the last 4 albums had bits of metalcore, nu metal, electronic stuff, industrial and their older gothenburg sound as well. It's a very tough one to do but alternative rock just doesn't cut it.

I think perhaps alternative metal/gothenburg would work, as much as I hate to use the term 'alternative'.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:31 am 

duncang wrote:
but really alternative rock is worse than modern rock.

I disagree. At least "Alternative Rock" is a real genre.

As to the rest of your post, I totally agree that In Flames is a very hard band to nail down, given the obvious contention shown here in this thread. But really, the mods have spoken and for now Alt Rock/Melodeath is their genre. It's like how I've been fighting for Lykathea Aflame's genre - sometimes it just doesn't work out. *sigh*

cheers,
--N

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:21 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
I've been fighting for Lykathea Aflame's genre

Still not letting that go?

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:11 am 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

Nevar!

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:32 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
duncang wrote:

As to the rest of your post, I totally agree that In Flames is a very hard band to nail down, given the obvious contention shown here in this thread. But really, the mods have spoken and for now Alt Rock/Melodeath is their genre. It's like how I've been fighting for Lykathea Aflame's genre - sometimes it just doesn't work out. *sigh*

cheers,
--N

Have you looked at the page recently it's not Alt Rock/Melodeath just Alt Rock.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:21 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

Nevar!

You won't last long then...

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:37 pm 

Reaper43 wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
duncang wrote:

cheers,
--N

O RLY?

*looks*

Well I'll be damned... last I looked (only a couple weeks ago, when discussion was going on earlier in this thread, I think) Their page was Alt Rock/Melodic Death Metal. I definitely don't agree with it being now "Alt Rock/Metal" (looks like it was changed again). *double sigh*

cheers,
--N

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:38 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
TheGrimWombat wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

Nevar!

You won't last long then...

Awww, you're such a sweetheart ;)

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:18 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Reaper43 wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:
duncang wrote:

cheers,
--N

O RLY?

*looks*

Well I'll be damned... last I looked (only a couple weeks ago, when discussion was going on earlier in this thread, I think) Their page was Alt Rock/Melodic Death Metal. I definitely don't agree with it being now "Alt Rock/Metal" (looks like it was changed again). *double sigh*

cheers,
--N

Alt Rock/Metal is better than just Alt Rock though.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:09 am 

Goatfangs wrote:

True, but there have been Electronica, Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, Hard Rock and Alt Rock leanings on In Flames' newer releases. "Alt Rock/Metal" just really doesn't cut it....

I think someone needs to do a song-by-song analysis of their later catalogue and decide wtf to call them already, lol.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:25 pm 

I think you're being ridiculous. At the very least they have metal in their descriptor. Which a part of them still is. Yes I agree that Melodic Death/Metalcore/Alternative or whatever it was before being changed to Alternative Rock was the best solution but let's not get ridiculous. Just because the influences exist don't make them valid genre descriptors. Only If they are a predominant part of the music. Electronica is not a predominant part of their sound realistically rock isn't even a huge part of their sound, though Alternative stylings are. Just give it a rest Nyaricus seriously.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:27 pm 

Nyaricus wrote:
Goatfangs wrote:

True, but there have been Electronica, Metalcore, Melodic Death Metal, Hard Rock and Alt Rock leanings on In Flames' newer releases. "Alt Rock/Metal" just really doesn't cut it....

I think someone needs to do a song-by-song analysis of their later catalogue and decide wtf to call them already, lol.

I rest my case. 5/6 influences basically equals 'alternative metal'

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:44 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=124598
Jaldaboath
I would say Folk/Black Metal or Folk Metal with Black Metal influences, but certainly not Experimental/Black Metal

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:54 am 

I will use the thread for related issue.
The band leader Jeff of Tortured Conscience demands repeatedly his band to be deleted, because hew wants it to submit and monitor "himself".

So to all band members, your band will not be deleted, unless it is not metal musically or has no physical releases. No matter what you do, how much you whine, absolutely NOT.

http://www.metal-archives.com/faq.php

If somebody knows him, you can tell him all that, but it should serve as an advice for other band members.

Band members are treated like regular contributors, they do not have more user right, so submitting your band yourself will not give you a mod like rank, you will have to report the updates, unless you reach the veteran rank.
----

Please delete my band(s) from your site. I don't want this information to appear on your website.

No. Get lost.

Seriously, if you feel that there are too many errors or inaccuracies on the page, we will be more than happy to correct them. Just use the "report a mistake on this page" link with the corrections and a moderator will take care of it.

But unless your band(s) don't follow our rules, we will not delete it just to please you. If you don't want your presence to be on the Internet, there is a very simple solution: don't form a band, don't release any album or demo! Chances are that if you do, someone will hear about it, and might mention you to someone else, and so on, until someone with an Internet connection decides to add your band information to the Archives. Tough luck. If you don't want your real name to be published, you can always use an alias (exceptions are made for those of you who live in backward countries where heavy metal is against the law; we will gladly help you make the information more anonymous if necessary). But there is no copyright on information, so you will have to grin and bear it.

Also, we can't help but wonder what kind of no-life kids want to be so badly kvlt and tr00 as to pretend they don't exist... Please get a life.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm 

Mudlark
Labeleld as "Sludge/Doom Metal, Grind, Crust"

"Sludge/Crust" or "Sludge/Grindcore" would fit.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:39 am 

That's an unnecessary change, and I don't think we should get rid of the "doom" tag, which is ultimately what allowed this band into M-A.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:40 am 

Fair enough, but you shuld get rid off either the grind or the crust tag.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:10 am 

Reports for Cryptopsy:

For genre, update:
Technical death metal (previous material), emo-core (now)

:lol:

Silly kiddies cannot hide their disappointment.

You can think what you want about it, but it siounds close to Winds of Plague and similar, so it has nothing to do with emocore or nu-metal. The attempt here is clearly to play some modern death metal, it has hc/grind influences, but they were already present in their old stuff. So spare your deragatory remarks for reviews, please.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 am 

I would like to submit a band, but I would like to know if the tag "Melodic Metalcrust" would be accepted, as it is what describe the music most accurately. Now I am aware that it is a pretty new tag, and that many people won't know to what it refers.

Witcher: this is not an attempt to bypass the queue, I just don't want to make a mistake.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:33 am 

AurvandiL wrote:
I would like to submit a band, but I would like to know if the tag "Melodic Metalcrust" would be accepted, as it is what describe the music most accurately. Now I am aware that it is a pretty new tag, and that many people won't know to what it refers.

Witcher: this is not an attempt to bypass the queue, I just don't want to make a mistake.

The band will be accepted, if it is enough metal. The genre will be changed, whatever the intention behind it is, or if the band uses it for some strange reason. It says nothing, besides that their music is apparently crustcore based.

Last edited by Witcher on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:35 am 

Ok, I'll try another tag, then.

AurvandiL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:06 pm 

Woops double post.

Since we've been talking about crust for a while here's another one, a bit picky, I admit:

Martyrdöd "Black Metal/DeathMetal/Hardcore"
-->"Black Metal/Crustcore"

Slightly more accurate in my opinion...
What do you think?

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:01 pm 

Has this been considered for modification yet?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=17

genre should be "Technical Death Metal (old), Deathcore (now)"
Member #1 of the AFMF: You are with us or against us!!!! ,,|,

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:12 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
Has this been considered for modification yet?

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=17

genre should be "Technical Death Metal (old), Deathcore (now)"

We will see, but to all and not only you, leave this band finally be a stop the drama. It is annoying as hell.
The song on myspace sounds still like death metal, there are hc/grind influences, but they were contained in the music already before to some extent. I repeat, I hope that proposals for nu-metal, emocore or mallcore as their genre will be left aside.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:16 am 

Yep, Cryptopsy has always had grind influences.

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:16 pm 

MMisantropo wrote:

Yes, but they haven't always played deathcore, which is why I propose the use of (old) and (new) tags...

[EDITx2]

Last edited by Kvisling on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:22 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
MMisantropo wrote:

Yes, but they haven't always played deathcore, which is why I propose the use of (old) and (new) tags...

It is questinable, if it is really is deathcore - compare the new song with Angelskingarden in the myspace player - is it really completely different?
To be more specific - the hardcore influence is present already in such older songs.

You seemingly cannot or do not want to take the hint about potentially adding fuel to the flames...

The genre should not be changed just to please their butthurt fans, and now I do not mean you.

Kvisling
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:28 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Kvisling wrote:
MMisantropo wrote:

It is questinable, if it is really is deathcore - compare the new song with Angelskingarden in the myspace player - is it really completely different?

You seemingly cannot or do not want to take the hint about potentially adding fuel to the flames...

The genre should not be changed just to please their butthurt fans, and now I do not mean you.

So you are going to not add information that would improve the accuracy of the archive simply to spite "butthurt fans"?

Yes, the new album is different, even from Angelskingarden and all the other songs on "Once Was Not". Obviously anyone with ears and eyes could see that they were heading this way from the very genesis of the band, they just hadn't taken the plunge until now.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:37 pm 

Kvisling wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Kvisling wrote:
MMisantropo wrote:

So you are going to not add information that would improve the accuracy of the archive simply to spite "butthurt fans"?

:lol:

Save your tricks for your fanclub, I can read between the lines and see that this should be another example of your exhibitionism here on forum.
That is the purpose of everything you do here, since the first time you have joined.
Do not try to hide behind "factual accuracy", I know your game well. That is the last thing on your mind.

Further discussion with you has no sense. With others- maybe.

fiercetroll
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:50 am 

You are wise oh great Witcher!

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:58 am 

fiercetroll wrote:
You are wise oh great Witcher!

Your username says all.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:02 am 

If Cryptopsy fans are saying emo-core, mallcore, nu metal etc, ignore them, they are just butthurt fans. However the deathcore tag is justified, they have crossed the line from being a death metal band with a bit of grind in them, to being fully deathcore...

Although, technically, no changes should really be considered until the album is actually released.

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:10 am 

I can understand a lot of the dissapointed Cryptopsy fans would love to see the genre changed, but I also think the new album IS deathcore. I'm not sure what other genre it could be, or if one album in this genre is enough to change the description on the Cryptopsy page ... though I'm interesting to see what others would tag this album as.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:56 am 

DGYDP wrote:
I can understand a lot of the dissapointed Cryptopsy fans would love to see the genre changed, but I also think the new album IS deathcore. I'm not sure what other genre it could be, or if one album in this genre is enough to change the description on the Cryptopsy page ... though I'm interesting to see what others would tag this album as.

Define the style in regard to Cryptopsy.

The songs rhytmical structure owes a lot to hc/grind, especially in the more straightforward parts.

It was so in that past too, though, at least to some degree.
"Chugging" riffs are not a hardcore specialty. Their use in modern hardcore stems from the metal influence it had - groove metal, Fear Factory and similar. It is common knowledge, that a lot of tough guy hardcore bands use modified watered down Slayer riffs, for example.
Clean singing is just that, it is not integral to death metal or hardcore.

It has more modern elements than in the past, but modern does not equal the word "core".

The majority of their fans were not able to argument with anything but mallcorish riffs or emo style. Some serious criticism was not presented here, only minor hints at that in some of the lengthy accepted reviews.

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 am 

Witcher wrote:
DGYDP wrote:

Define the style in regard to Cryptopsy.

The songs rhytmical structure owes a lot to hc/grind, especially in the more straightforward parts.

It was so in that past too, though, at least to some degree.
"Chugging" riffs are not a hardcore specialty. Their use in modern hardcore stems from the metal influence it had - groove metal, Fear Factory and similar. It is common knowledge, that a lot of tough guy hardcore bands use modified watered down Slayer riffs, for example.
Clean singing is just that, it is not integral to death metal or hardcore.

It has more modern elements than in the past, but modern does not equal the word "core".

The majority of their fans were not able to argument with anything but mallcorish riffs or emo style. Some serious criticism was not presented here, only minor hints at that in some of the lengthy accepted reviews.

The new Cryptopsy has all the elements that make deathcore. The clean vocals are not included in my classification of the genre, they're just random shit thrown in for no reason. The music that isn't with clean vocals is pretty much the exact representation of the entire deathcore genre.

Just because they had breakdowns before (which were not deathcore chug breakdowns) does not suddenly mean that their use of deathcore breakdowns don't count for some reason.

The new album is not mallcore, which I'm sure everyone could agree with, admittedly the clean vocals are very emo sounding, but the music behind them isn't. And vocals don't make a genre. So just saying I'm not supporting my argument by saying "OMG mallcore emos".

mrchris
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:22 pm 

Why do we even bother having any -core crap here such as deathcore?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:29 pm 

mrchris wrote:
Why do we even bother having any -core crap here such as deathcore?

Because it is usually a mixture of death metal and metalcore and as such metal enough.
http://www.metal-archives.com/guidelines.php
Mentioned example:The Red Chord

Since I have seen a grotesque thread in the general forum about discussing hardcore punk, but not those core genres, I have a felling, that many of you do not know much about the history and genesis of hardcore and its fusions with metal or other genres. Instead, you label anything trendy -core, be it hardcore related or not.
Crossover is also core related by the way - a fusion of thrash metal and hardcore punk, in the strict sense.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:11 pm 

Elffor
The Ambient aspect should be taken into consideration as the band was started under that banner.
http://www.myspace.com/elfforfp
perhaps:
Ambient (early), Symphonic Black Metal/Ambient (now)
edit: fixed by molk15. Thanks :thumbsup:

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

DGYDP
Leather Lion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:43 am 

I am by no means a 'hurt' ex-Cryptopsy fan, I was just giving my two cents on the matter. Personally I believe that cd is standard deathcore; nothing less and nothing more. I don't think it should matter that older albums have small characteristics in common with the genre, because those were not enough to call the music anything other than technical death metal. The songs on the new output, on the other hand, are deathcore as it's played by other bands on this site who are labeled deathcore as well.

Also, I'm a bit stunned to see people consider most deathcore not to be metal. You might not like it (tbh, I can't stand the genre either) but that doesn't make it less metal.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 103  Next