Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
goatmanejy
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:13 pm 

Ive noticed some things I really dont like. I think hard rock should have been included on the site. Metal wasnt just invented by Black Sabbath. It just slowly evolved out of Hard Rock like Thin Lizzy, Alice Cooper, And Led Zeppelin. MEtal as pure metal wasnt really around till the early 80's.
And while I agree with the exclusion of Nu-Metal, theres still a few good Nu bands. Mudvayne and Disturbed are both excellent; I would even say Disturbed is the best american metal band in recent years.
And some genres, even though everyone hates them, are still metal, like Glam metal and metalcore. And Industrial? I dont see how it even counts as nonmetallic. What about well established acts like Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie?

BackInTheVillage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:22 pm 

So basically, band and genre X, Y, and Z should be on here because... you say so.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:31 pm 

This discussion pops up roughly once a month, usually brought up by a relative newbie. Just like now. I don't think we want this to develop into the kind of shit-flinging it could turn into, so I'll lock this now.

Read the guidelines, do some research, and think about it for a while, and I'm sure you'll see the logic that is being used here. Music is rather far from an objective thing, and this website follows the rules and guidelines set by the site owners. They pay the bills and they decide on the rules. If you wish to argue on behalf of a specific band, you may do so on the Suggestion & Complaints sub-forum, but asking for everything categorized under "hard rock" or "industrial" to be included is not going to happen unless the owners decide so. I don't think that will happen any time soon, and certainly not because an unknown user ask for it.

This is one of the reasons we think new users ought to lurk for a while before voicing their opinions. Also, searching past topics on these things is a good way to get to know the law of the land here. See how the place works before you try to steer it to a new direction, please.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.