Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
hippiedrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 pm 

I like symphonic stuff without stupid/overdone lyrical themes, and somewhat fast drumming.
Examples: Therion, Chthonic

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:46 pm 

You could start with Hollenthon and Tvangeste.

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:34 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:

NokturnalSakrifice, thanks a lot for helping in this thread :thumbsup:

No problem, it seems I am on when you are not.

Mors_Gloria wrote:
ThrashingMad, Pagan reccomendation are on their way. Just give me some time.

I too would like to see these reccomendations.
Member #1 of the Folk Metal Preservation Army!

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:41 pm 

anything with burzum-esque vocals? maybe depressing too, but it doesnt matter.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm 

theposega wrote:

Can you narrow that down some? Offhand, I'll say Taarma, I Shalt Become, Defaillance, Bilskirnir, Gnome, Lyrinx, Nagelfar, Ziel Bevrijd, Nyktalgia, Orthanc.

The guy from Nyktalgia sounds just like Varg. Taarma, Defaillance, I Shalt Become, and Nyktalgia are 'depressive', too, whatever that means. I am also a fan of that style.

UnserHeiligeTod
Lagompräst

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:23 pm 

Add Wigrid and Inferi to that list.

enola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:00 pm 

hello people im looking for atmospherick black metal like arcturus first album Aspera Hiems Symfonia. im no big fan of black metal but i think that album is excelent anybody can recommend me something similar?

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:02 pm 

Sigh will be to your liking, if only their later albums. Old stuff is worth a listen, however.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:03 pm 

I haven't heard Arcturus' first, but assuming it's avant-garde, you may like Diabolical Masquerade.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

enola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:14 pm 

thanks ill check them out :hail:

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:17 pm 

Get The Sham Mirror as well. Fuck, that album takes me places.
Death metal is eternal.

enola
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:26 pm 

RedMisanthrope wrote:
Get The Sham Mirror as well. Fuck, that album takes me places.

thanks man ill check it out i only have arcturus first two albums ill check their third one

latinfiestacarnage
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:44 pm 

I'm looking for symphonic BM. I'm not thinking about Dimmu here. I'm looking for basiicaly extreme BM that has pretty good production that also keyboard ina symphonic way.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:46 pm 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:
I'm looking for symphonic BM. I'm not thinking about Dimmu here. I'm looking for basiicaly extreme BM that has pretty good production that also keyboard ina symphonic way.

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... =symphonic
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

DemonicaSuccubus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 am 

latinfiestacarnage wrote:

Limbonic Art

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:23 am 

UnserHeiligeTod wrote:
Add Wigrid and Inferi to that list.

Plus Sterbend, Walknut, first Amesoeurs EP, Abyssic Hate, early Helheim.....and countless others.

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:09 am 

i don't listen to very much BM, i could never really get into it. i mostly listen to Death metal, and brutal death metal type stuff but also some grindcore. any recs?

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:16 pm 

DBettino wrote:
theposega wrote:

Can you narrow that down some? Offhand, I'll say Taarma, I Shalt Become, Defaillance, Bilskirnir, Gnome, Lyrinx, Nagelfar, Ziel Bevrijd, Nyktalgia, Orthanc.

The guy from Nyktalgia sounds just like Varg. Taarma, Defaillance, I Shalt Become, and Nyktalgia are 'depressive', too, whatever that means. I am also a fan of that style.

thanks man. :hail:

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:38 pm 

The_Evil_Hat wrote:
i don't listen to very much BM, i could never really get into it. i mostly listen to Death metal, and brutal death metal type stuff but also some grindcore. any recs?
So, you want some heavier stuff, right?

Try Watain, Belphegor, Ceremonial Castings, Panzerchrist, Mysticum, and Zyklon.

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:14 pm 

Kruel wrote:
The_Evil_Hat wrote:
So, you want some heavier stuff, right?

Try Watain, Belphegor, Ceremonial Castings, Panzerchrist, Mysticum, and Zyklon.

thanks, im downloading them now (except for Ceremonial Castings, i couldnt find them). ill tell you what i think once i hear them. and i had heard Belphegor before, but to me they always sounded more on the death side of things.

Blanketed_by_snow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:14 am 

Try Wolves In The Throne Room, Dissection, or Emperor. All good starting bands.

MySanityDoesFly wrote:
I don't care who fucks who, as long as they enjoy it.

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:46 am 

I'm looking for good Black Metal that use the occasional "Slayer" style Falsetto screams.

Examples would be the intros to Absu's "phase One Iolanach's Pedagogy" and "A Magician's Lapis-Lazuli," as well as Obeisance's "Apokalyptik Visions" and Anal Vomit's "Sendero Siniestro." Enslaved uses one at the end of their cover of "Jesus Saves" as well.

Does anyone know of any black metal bands that use these type of screams regularly?

The_Evil_Hat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:01 am 

thanks a lot Kruel, this stuff is sick. Watain is awsome and Belphergor is really good. Zyklon is also good, although mysticism's production is a downside for me. (yeah, im pretty damn un'kvlt) is there any other heavier black metal (preferably with Watain like productions or similar)?

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:43 pm 

So, here are the Pagan reccomendations:

Ha Lela - Lithuanian blackish Pagan Metal. They use traditional Lithuanian instruments such as dambrelis and lumzdelis etc. and they also incorparate female vocals (in a good manner though).

Kamaedzitca - Pagan Black / Doom / Death Metal from Belarus. They incorporate low growls instead of shrieks. A link to their album can be found in a post of mine on the previous page.

Streben - Good melancholic Folk Black Metal from Italy. The band has yet to release anything but info and songs can be found in their myspace. The link to their myspace is in the same post that the link to Kamaedzitca's album is.

Sokrovenno - Another very good Italian band. A highly philosophical band influenced by Epicureanism (in other words mild hedonism). You can hear their whole demo through their myspace page and I can personally assure you that listening to Flammantia Moenia Mundi is a very relaxing experience. The riffs, the drumming pattern, even the vocals are uplifting and relaxing (I am almost sure that they use major scales). Here's the link to their myspace (listen to the first song anyhow and you will not regret it) -> http://www.myspace.com/bandsokrovenno

Rivendell - Very good Folkish Epic Black Metal act. Side-project of Falagar (of Ahnenstahl fame). Very atmospheric band that used Boltthorn (the same guys who drummed for Falkenbach) to drum for them (or should I say him cause ultimately they are an one-man band with guest musicians) and Patrick Damiani (again, the same guy who played for Falkenbach) as a session bassist.

Poccolus - Legendary Pagan Black Metal band from Lithuania. Mostly mid-paced too.

Obtest - Pagan / War Black Metal from Lithuania. Obtest are among the best known bands of this scene along with Skyforger and they really deserve it.

Skyforger - I guess that you already know them but I want to be sure. Check them out. They are the Latvian counterparts of Obtest.

Grindmaster Dead - The band that evolved to the above-mentioned Skyforger. Folk influenced Death / Doom Metal with lyrics about Latvian folklore.

Urskumug - They call themselves Tribal Black Metal. Their music can be described as a more thrashy and more atmospheric Skyforger. Not your typical Pagan Metal band but still very worthy.

Straasha / Numenor - Just get their split. It's one of the best BM splits I've ever heard. Imagine a Black Metal version of Agalloch, put some Enslaved in the mix and you have these two bands.

Solstafir - They are known mostly for their latter Progressive Black Metal era but their first demo (which is in Viking vein) is great in my opinion. I Nordri is the definition of the proper Norse sound for me.

Kawir - Kawir brought the Folk sound to Greece. Eumenides was the earliest example of Folky Hellenic Black Metal (I haven't heard their demos yet) and it is a must have if you like Hellenic Black Metal or Folk / Black Metal. To Cavirs is a must too.

Munruthel - Side-project of Nokturnal Mortum's drummer. If you want skillfully played Ambient Folk Black Metal you have to check Oriana Tales. It's a great album. I haven't heard yet their first album and from what I know the last album is a Black / Power Metal album. I haven't heard Epocha Vodoleya yet though so I am not sure about it.

Volkolak - I've mentioned them already and they fit your request. Just check out their last album.

Darkestrah - I guess you are already aware of this great band. If not, check them out immediately.

Adhur / Aiumeen Basoa / Ilbetz - Basically, just check the 3-way split Triarchy of Vasconia and you are not going to lose. It's an outstanding piece of art in my opinion.

Aryan Art - They find a way to mix atmospheric and slightly folky BM with military marches very well. A very decent band that deserves your attention.

Shambless - Black / Death / Folk Metal from Bulgaria with a strong medieval atmosphere.

That's all for now, ThrashingMad. Enjoy! :)

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:49 pm 

Another epic post by Mors...

The_Evil_Hat wrote:
thanks a lot Kruel, this stuff is sick. Watain is awsome and Belphergor is really good. Zyklon is also good, although mysticism's production is a downside for me. (yeah, im pretty damn un'kvlt) is there any other heavier black metal (preferably with Watain like productions or similar)?
Marduk pops up in my mind. Intense drumming and fast tremolo riffing with good production. I'll recommend Heaven Shall Burn and Nightwing.

NokturnalSakrifice
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:09 pm 

Thanks Mors, I was waiting for those recs, I'll go check them out now.:thumbsup:
Member #1 of the Folk Metal Preservation Army!

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:10 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
So, here are the Pagan reccomendations:

Ha Lela - Lithuanian blackish Pagan Metal. They use traditional Lithuanian instruments such as dambrelis and lumzdelis etc. and they also incorparate female vocals (in a good manner though).

Kamaedzitca - Pagan Black / Doom / Death Metal from Belarus. They incorporate low growls instead of shrieks. A link to their album can be found in a post of mine on the previous page.

Streben - Good melancholic Folk Black Metal from Italy. The band has yet to release anything but info and songs can be found in their myspace. The link to their myspace is in the same post that the link to Kamaedzitca's album is.

Sokrovenno - Another very good Italian band. A highly philosophical band influenced by Epicureanism (in other words mild hedonism). You can hear their whole demo through their myspace page and I can personally assure you that listening to Flammantia Moenia Mundi is a very relaxing experience. The riffs, the drumming pattern, even the vocals are uplifting and relaxing (I am almost sure that they use major scales). Here's the link to their myspace (listen to the first song anyhow and you will not regret it) -> http://www.myspace.com/bandsokrovenno

Rivendell - Very good Folkish Epic Black Metal act. Side-project of Falagar (of Ahnenstahl fame). Very atmospheric band that used Boltthorn (the same guys who drummed for Falkenbach) to drum for them (or should I say him cause ultimately they are an one-man band with guest musicians) and Patrick Damiani (again, the same guy who played for Falkenbach) as a session bassist.

Poccolus - Legendary Pagan Black Metal band from Lithuania. Mostly mid-paced too.

Obtest - Pagan / War Black Metal from Lithuania. Obtest are among the best known bands of this scene along with Skyforger and they really deserve it.

Skyforger - I guess that you already know them but I want to be sure. Check them out. They are the Latvian counterparts of Obtest.

Grindmaster Dead - The band that evolved to the above-mentioned Skyforger. Folk influenced Death / Doom Metal with lyrics about Latvian folklore.

Urskumug - They call themselves Tribal Black Metal. Their music can be described as a more thrashy and more atmospheric Skyforger. Not your typical Pagan Metal band but still very worthy.

Straasha / Numenor - Just get their split. It's one of the best BM splits I've ever heard. Imagine a Black Metal version of Agalloch, put some Enslaved in the mix and you have these two bands.

Solstafir - They are known mostly for their latter Progressive Black Metal era but their first demo (which is in Viking vein) is great in my opinion. I Nordri is the definition of the proper Norse sound for me.

Kawir - Kawir brought the Folk sound to Greece. Eumenides was the earliest example of Folky Hellenic Black Metal (I haven't heard their demos yet) and it is a must have if you like Hellenic Black Metal or Folk / Black Metal. To Cavirs is a must too.

Munruthel - Side-project of Nokturnal Mortum's drummer. If you want skillfully played Ambient Folk Black Metal you have to check Oriana Tales. It's a great album. I haven't heard yet their first album and from what I know the last album is a Black / Power Metal album. I haven't heard Epocha Vodoleya yet though so I am not sure about it.

Volkolak - I've mentioned them already and they fit your request. Just check out their last album.

Darkestrah - I guess you are already aware of this great band. If not, check them out immediately.

Adhur / Aiumeen Basoa / Ilbetz - Basically, just check the 3-way split Triarchy of Vasconia and you are not going to lose. It's an outstanding piece of art in my opinion.

Aryan Art - They find a way to mix atmospheric and slightly folky BM with military marches very well. A very decent band that deserves your attention.

Shambless - Black / Death / Folk Metal from Bulgaria with a strong medieval atmosphere.

That's all for now, ThrashingMad. Enjoy! :)

Wow thanks, you really know your stuff.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm 

ThrashingMad wrote:

Wow thanks, you really know your stuff.

NokturnalSakrifice wrote:
Thanks Mors, I was waiting for those recs, I'll go check them out now.:thumbsup:

Check the bands out and then tell me if you liked them, guys :thumbsup:

deathcorpse
Super Cres at Best

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:29 am 

I know you guys are gonna kill me, but I just got WRATH OF THE WEAK's ALOGON and I really dig it. Much better than the first record.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:55 pm 

Is there anything out there with a similar sort of fucked-up, psychedelic, but very organic feeling like Furze's work? I know there's a lot of overtly drug-influenced BM around (and I'm not sure how much of a drug fiend Woe J. Reaper really is, but the feeling in Furze's music certainly suggests very-much altered states of consciousness to me), but I don't much like the mechanical sound of stuff like V.E.G.A. I want real drums, genuinely strange riffs and not much electronic stuff.

Weerwolf
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:53 pm 

Looking for black that has a similar production to Mgla, Peste Noire, Paragon Impure, ...

I'd also like them to have that typical evil sound, especially created through the riffs. Good vocals are also a must, something which Mgla, Peste Noire and Paragon Impure all have.

I hope this narrows it down a bit...(Oh and no D/SBM please)

DemonicaSuccubus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:23 pm 

theposega wrote:

Cry of Silence

http://www.myspace.com/granathscryofsilence

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:25 pm 

Weerwolf wrote:
Looking for black that has a similar production to Mgla, Peste Noire, Paragon Impure, ...

I'd also like them to have that typical evil sound, especially created through the riffs. Good vocals are also a must, something which Mgla, Peste Noire and Paragon Impure all have.

I hope this narrows it down a bit...(Oh and no D/SBM please)
You should check out the LLN bands, like Mutiilation, Belketre, Vlad Tepes, etc.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:52 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
I like symphonic stuff without stupid/overdone lyrical themes, and somewhat fast drumming.

The following may be of your liking:

Fanisk - Not your typical symphonic stuff but highly orchestral for sure. Fanisk instead of focusing in fancy symphonic tunes focus on triumphant Martial melodies. The driving force of the music is the keyboards (which are excellent). Guitars and drums are lower in the mix (still evident enough then) and the vocals are very, very sparse and completely on the background.

Eldrig - Side-project of Fanisk. This time is the other way around. The guitars and drums are the driving force and keyboards come second. Still, though the keyboards create great atmosphere and melodies especially in Kali which lacks vocals completely. Plus, Eldrig contains amazing guitars which make it first and foremost a METAL album.

Balor - the_empyreal_lexicon reccomended them to me and I have to say that they are awesome. Very good usage of keyboards that create either a folky either a symphonic atmosphere. The guitar riffs are also pretty triumphant as Balor is not afraid to use major keys.

Tartaros - For me they are pretty much the definition of Symphonic Black Metal. The Red Jewel and The Grand Psychotic Castle are classics, so be sure to not miss them out.

Profanum - Classical music mixed with Black Metal and done extremely right. Along with Tartaros they are the top bands of their genre.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:15 pm 

hippiedrow wrote:
Also check out Anorexia Nervosa. One of the fastest symphonic black metal bands.

And if you want REALLY fast "drumming," a symphonnic black metal/speedcore band called Legionz ov Hell might be worth checking out.

calupii
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:50 pm 

I would like to hear more in the vein of The Shining, Negura Bunget and Nokturnal Mortum

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:53 pm 

calupii wrote:
I would like to hear more in the vein of The Shining, Negura Bunget and Nokturnal Mortum
The three are hardly related at all. Are you looking for three separate recommendations?

Wrath_Of_War
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:49 am 

theposega wrote:

Diabolical (of Paraguay) have Burzum-sounding vocals. Here's a link to their only release

http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=32080

winterdemonwolf
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:49 am 

I'd like something which sounds like Clad in Darkness. What makes Clad in Darkness great to me are the extremely sad melodies that are woven instead of just repeating tremolo picking power chords up and down for 16 minutes and then calling it depressive black meta.

Spenot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:16 am 

^ Try out:
Klaubatamann - very similar to Clad In Darkness, same kind of vocals, same kind of song structures, but they have a bit better production.

Dornenreich - also very similar, although they use clean vocals as well and have symphonic elements due to the heavy use of keyboards.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 142  Next