Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Fetalrape
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:01 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Fetalrape wrote:
mp3.com/artist/albedo

Would someone mind giving this a listen and telling me what genre you think it fits into.

I was thinking something along the lines of black/thrash. But the site seems to think It's just Thrash. The vocals are more black to me.
The riffs at the end of Intraspection and the Invisible Eyes sound a lot more black than thrash.

tell me what you think?

It has nothing to do with black metal. You play still rather underdeveloped modern thrash. (It is a first demo, after all.)
Semi spoken/semi shouted/growled vocals have nothing to do with black metal. There is an attempt at death growl, but that alone does not make the band death metal. If your band attempted to do play black, you have failed.

We didn't really set out attempting to play a certain genre. We just play.
So thrash is the best classification?

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:05 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=60

It just seems a little excessive to me...

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:56 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:

What exactly is meant by "tribal" in that context? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to label "tribal" as an influence, and not necessarily as a defining genre in itself?

If that's the case, I suppose the same could be applied to these bands?

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:02 am 

I know we are trying to cut down on excessive genres, but is post-metal a valid genre?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:44 am 

Fetalrape wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Fetalrape wrote:
mp3.com/artist/albedo

Would someone mind giving this a listen and telling me what genre you think it fits into.

I was thinking something along the lines of black/thrash. But the site seems to think It's just Thrash. The vocals are more black to me.
The riffs at the end of Intraspection and the Invisible Eyes sound a lot more black than thrash.

tell me what you think?

It has nothing to do with black metal. You play still rather underdeveloped modern thrash. (It is a first demo, after all.)
Semi spoken/semi shouted/growled vocals have nothing to do with black metal. There is an attempt at death growl, but that alone does not make the band death metal. If your band attempted to do play black, you have failed.

We didn't really set out attempting to play a certain genre. We just play.
So thrash is the best classification?

Yes,. that is how the result sounds.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:45 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
I know we are trying to cut down on excessive genres, but is post-metal a valid genre?

No, not at all, it is an empty term, asI have said several posts back.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:47 am 

Derigin wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:

What exactly is meant by "tribal" in that context? Wouldn't it be more appropriate to label "tribal" as an influence, and not necessarily as a defining genre in itself?

If that's the case, I suppose the same could be applied to these bands?

They apparently use tribal sounding rhythms or percussions in their music, so why it should not be part of their genre definition?
To put folk there would be misleading.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:03 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=67320

The Breathing Process - Melodic Death/Black Metal

These guys have an obvious core influence, breakdowns left right and center not to mention rather metalcore styled screams.

I suggest Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore. There is a small black metal influence but I wouldn't consider it that notable. At the very least it's less notable then the metalcore influence.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:58 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that.

I have another question, are the terms post-thrash and half-thrash the same thing as groove metal?

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:30 pm 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:
Witcher wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:

Oh, sorry, I didn't see that.

I have another question, are the terms post-thrash and half-thrash the same thing as groove metal?

Yeah, pretty much. I'm sure some would quibble that there are distinctions, but you'll never hear the difference.

Actually, the only real difference is that groove metal is discriptive, post thrash is meant to be pretencious, and half-thrash is meant to be derogatory.

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:28 pm 

Bands tagged as half-thrash: (98)
link

Bands tagged as post-thrash: (85)
link

Just, fyi, there are 1, 138 bands tagged as groove metal. So if this passes, is there a way to get all the "half" and "post" bands switched to saying groove metal?

EDIT - Also, this is a dumb question, with really no relevance, but what would I tag Celtic Frost as if I were too tag them as one genre? I can't figure out what to tag them in iTUNES and you can only tag them with one genre, so I would just like someone else's opinion.

EDIT - Sorry for the page stretch =\

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:07 am 

I'm not sure post-thrash has always been used as a synonym of groove metal (could mean grungy or industrial metal, for example). Other than that preliminary caution, I wouldn't mind getting rid of those two tags either.

MMisantropo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:30 am 

Reaper43 wrote:

These guys have an obvious core influence, breakdowns left right and center not to mention rather metalcore styled screams.

I suggest Melodic Death Metal/Metalcore. There is a small black metal influence but I wouldn't consider it that notable. At the very least it's less notable then the metalcore influence.

Proposal rejected. The band's sound is 80% consistent with that of Dimmu Borgir and late Emperor, with added Gothenburg influences. One could claim those aren't real BM, of course... But anyway, I hear no resemblances of the recent metalcore boom, at least nothing that wasn't already present on that late 90's norsecore style. It's true that these two styles are more similar than most of us would like to admit, though.

Carver
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:26 am 

Hi the band Magic Child is listed under Heavy Metal after listening to the song samples in their official web I think the genre should be modified to Melodic Heavy Metal/Hard Rock if you found them metal enough ofcorse.

SitraAhra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:37 am 

Well,when I subbmited this band,I found just eBay info and there were written that Magic Child sounds like Stormwitch.Latter I found some more info.Still think that this band fits here in M-A,but genre of course should be changed to Melodic Heavy Metal or Heavy Metal/Hard Rock.On heavier songs Magic Child sounds like FAITHFUL BREATH and simmilar german HM acts.

Reaper43
Painsponge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:41 am 

MMisantropo wrote:
Reaper43 wrote:

Proposal rejected. The band's sound is 80% consistent with that of Dimmu Borgir and late Emperor, with added Gothenburg influences. One could claim those aren't real BM, of course... But anyway, I hear no resemblances of the recent metalcore boom, at least nothing that wasn't already present on that late 90's norsecore style. It's true that these two styles are more similar than most of us would like to admit, though.

I'm not one to typically contest but this band is noticeably more core then Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, that comparison seems rather faulty to me. If you want to say that they are Melodic Death/Black Metal that's fine but the band should have Metalcore added to the genre as well. The current tag is highly misleading as I was expecting a Melodic Death Metal band with Black influences. Instead I heard an album full of breakdown's and core screaming mixed with blackened death metal and symphonic elements.

Anyways I'm sure nothing I say will change your mind but I still think it's a highly misleading genre. As you even said yourself this music really isn't even black metal, merely influenced by.
I created this blog with the intention of making rare and/or out of print material more readily available. Showcases local artists as well as rare material from popular artists to create a diverse collection. Updated 31/03/08 105+ releases.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:04 am 

Reaper43 wrote:
MMisantropo wrote:
Reaper43 wrote:

I'm not one to typically contest but this band is noticeably more core then Emperor and Dimmu Borgir, that comparison seems rather faulty to me. If you want to say that they are Melodic Death/Black Metal that's fine but the band should have Metalcore added to the genre as well. The current tag is highly misleading as I was expecting a Melodic Death Metal band with Black influences. Instead I heard an album full of breakdown's and core screaming mixed with blackened Gothenburg death metal and symphonic elements.

Anyways I'm sure nothing I say will change your mind but I still think it's a highly misleading genre. As you even said yourself this music really isn't even black metal, merely influenced by.

Alright, I just gave this a listen, and the current tag is quite misleading, I agree with Reaper there.. I'd suggest "Symphonic blackened deathcore". It's a mouthful, but really is the right description. It's deathcore with symphonic black influences, not much melodeath and certainly not worthy of the "black metal" in their genre name. "Blackened" is more appropriate in this case as it implies a small but not major black metal influence.

For example, Behemoth.
Pandemonic Incantations: Black/death metal.
Demigod: Blackened death metal.

Anyway, my two cents. :)

MMisantropo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:08 am 

Magic Child: not nearly enough metal IMO, makes no sense to me to accept this and not heavier bands such as Whitesnake and Mr. Big. Changed into melodic heavy metal/hard rock for now.

The Breathing Process: changed into "Symphonic blackened death metal". Unless those tracks at Myspace are not representative of their style, I sustain my position that there are no more -core influences here than on what's been widely accepted on mainstream metal for at least 15 years.

SitraAhra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:34 am 

Quote:
Magic Child: not nearly enough metal IMO, makes no sense to me to accept this and not heavier bands such as Whitesnake and Mr. Big

OK,Missanthropo,but this band have realy HEAVY METAL SOUNDING songs like "Sunrise" "Lovin`Heart" or "Nigthtfall".These songs apeared on only EP release,and I think fits here perfectly.We have so much NWOBHM bands which sounds like Rock'N'ROll but MC still have HEAVY songs and have all needed points to be here.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:41 am 

SitraAhra wrote:
Quote:
Magic Child: not nearly enough metal IMO, makes no sense to me to accept this and not heavier bands such as Whitesnake and Mr. Big

OK,Missanthropo,but this band have realy HEAVY METAL SOUNDING songs like "Sunrise" "Lovin`Heart" or "Nigthtfall".These songs apeared on only EP release,and I think fits here perfectly.We have so much NWOBHM bands which sounds like Rock'N'ROll but MC still have HEAVY songs and have all needed points to be here.

Indeed, the e.p. songs are heavy enough. They are far heavier than bands like Mydra for example and quite similar to Gama Records band like Starstruck or the mid-temo songs by Renegade or Gravestone or even the mentioned Stormwitch. The comparisons in reviews are pretty correct.
The newer song "The owner" is metal again. It should not be surprising, that they play some ballads too.

Vulture_Helsing
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:18 am 

So...are the post thrash and half thrash tags going to be changed?

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:27 am 

Vulture_Helsing wrote:

No, at leat not all, since it has been said, that sometimes they can have a reasonable meaning.

Hlf-thrash is not a praticularly good term, but then we should agree on how to express, that a lot of such bands have reatained basic thrash riffing in their songs.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:52 pm 

Lykathea Aflame: "Progressive/Symphonic Brutal Death Metal"

I think it's well-worth noting two things - they definitely have a huge melodic death metal and grindcore influence and one of their tracks is ambient on their one and only release. Also, the "Symphonic" elements are not really the correct way to put it... it's more that there are plenty of samples interspersed in their music, not necessarily creating a Symphonic Metal texture at all - infact, it is there to create atmosphere over anything else.

I therefore deem this band to be way off in regards to their genre tag - but how could we aptly tag LA?

Atmospheric Progressive Melodic/Brutal Deathgrind / Ambient is what, IMO, they should be named, genre-wise. The guitars jump back and fourth between Melodeath and Brutal Death, the grindcore drumming style is highly noticeable and to the fore in the music, and the vocals are undeniably Brutal Death as well as throwing down some Grindcore squeals throughout - plus the slightly creepy chanting which is utilized in many songs.

I realise that it's a mouthful. I realise simplicity is what is wanted. But there are no other terms useful to break down Lykathea Aflames' sound any more than that, at least as far as I know of.

Thoughts on this?

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:01 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Vulture_Helsing wrote:

No, at leat not all, since it has been said, that sometimes they can have a reasonable meaning.

Hlf-thrash is not a praticularly good term, but then we should agree on how to express, that a lot of such bands have reatained basic thrash riffing in their songs.

Half-thrash is kinda half-assed though. I mean, Post-thrash much more aptly describes a sound which took the underlying elements of Thrash Metal and did something else with it - not necessarily better than the original (I'm a fan, but on the boards here it's obviously not that popular) but beyond what the founding sounds did.

Groove Metal and Post-thrash are indeed two distinct sub-genres, albeit closely related and highly niche. Six Feet Under is Death/Groove, not Death/Post-thrash. Shadows Fall is Post-thrash/Metalcore, not Groove Metal/Metalcore (speaking of which, could someone change their genre?) It's something which is more you have to play by ear than anything, but IMO there should still be a distinction between the two genres - and "Half-thrash" should likely be changed over to "Post-thrash" for the respective bands.

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:56 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Lykathea Aflame: "Progressive/Symphonic Brutal Death Metal"

I think it's well-worth noting two things - they definitely have a huge melodic death metal and grindcore influence and one of their tracks is ambient on their one and only release. Also, the "Symphonic" elements are not really the correct way to put it... it's more that there are plenty of samples interspersed in their music, not necessarily creating a Symphonic Metal texture at all - infact, it is there to create atmosphere over anything else.

I therefore deem this band to be way off in regards to their genre tag - but how could we aptly tag LA?

Atmospheric Progressive Melodic/Brutal Deathgrind / Ambient is what, IMO, they should be named, genre-wise. The guitars jump back and fourth between Melodeath and Brutal Death, the grindcore drumming style is highly noticeable and to the fore in the music, and the vocals are undeniably Brutal Death as well as throwing down some Grindcore squeals throughout - plus the slightly creepy chanting which is utilized in many songs.

I realise that it's a mouthful. I realise simplicity is what is wanted. But there are no other terms useful to break down Lykathea Aflames' sound any more than that, at least as far as I know of.

Thoughts on this?

The point of the genre isn't to capture every influence, it's just to give the best idea of what they sound like. One track isn't enough for the ambient tag, and IMO the drumming style isn't enough for the grindcore tag. You could probably do away with either the atmospheric tag as well.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:18 am 

Scourge441 wrote:
The point of the genre isn't to capture every influence, it's just to give the best idea of what they sound like. One track isn't enough for the ambient tag, and IMO the drumming style isn't enough for the grindcore tag. You could probably do away with either the atmospheric tag as well.

True, the point of the genre is not to capture absolutely every influence, but many underground bands have a very unique sound from some sort of more general band. Since Lykathea Aflame have a very unique sound which had no great following, they are stuck between a mish-mash of genre tags.

Take Black Sabbath. We could go as far as to give them the genre tag "American Blues/Hard Rock/Proto-Metal // Heavy/Doom Metal (early) / Heavy metal (now) but that would be overdoing it, listing all their influences rather than the genre proper, which we all know is Heavy/Doom Metal. But, with Lykathea Aflame, since they play a niche style of Metal which no stand-alone genre could hope to describe we are compelled to explain it by their (obvious) influences rather than give it a simple one-namer.

Now, I have no idea if you are familiar with this band at all or not, but fully 11 and 1/2 out of 72 minutes of their of their published material is one singular ambient track. I think that's more than enough reason to give them a secondary genre as being Ambient, especially since they have only one release - no demos, EPs, nothing but one full-length album.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:51 am 

Nyaricus wrote:
Scourge441 wrote:

True, the point of the genre is not to capture absolutely every influence, but many underground bands have a very unique sound from some sort of more general band. Since Lykathea Aflame have a very unique sound which had no great following, they are stuck between a mish-mash of genre tags.

Take Black Sabbath. We could go as far as to give them the genre tag "American Blues/Hard Rock/Proto-Metal // Heavy/Doom Metal (early) / Heavy metal (now) but that would be overdoing it, listing all their influences rather than the genre proper, which we all know is Heavy/Doom Metal. But, with Lykathea Aflame, since they play a niche style of Metal which no stand-alone genre could hope to describe we are compelled to explain it by their (obvious) influences rather than give it a simple one-namer.

Now, I have no idea if you are familiar with this band at all or not, but fully 11 and 1/2 out of 72 minutes of their of their published material is one singular ambient track. I think that's more than enough reason to give them a secondary genre as being Ambient, especially since they have only one release - no demos, EPs, nothing but one full-length album.

Scourge is right, the current tag points out the most prominent and consistent parts of their music. The point of this thread was to correct tags, that are completely and utterly wrong, not for cases like "I think this band is rather atmospheric and yet it is listed as gothic metal only" or " this band is listed as power metal and it is rather melodic, it should be melodic power metal".

One experimental track does not change anything on the generally metal substance of their music, no matter how long it is.

The band never mentioned in the Czech interviews I have read "ambient" as an integral part of the music. They always understand themselves as a metal band. So please, leave it as it is, the current genre gives you a good general idea about their sound. The "progressive tag already includes some uniqueness of their sound.

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:14 pm 

Witcher wrote:
Scourge is right, the current tag points out the most prominent and consistent parts of their music. The point of this thread was to correct tags, that are completely and utterly wrong, not for cases like "I think this band is rather atmospheric and yet it is listed as gothic metal only" or " this band is listed as power metal and it is rather melodic, it should be melodic power metal".

One experimental track does not change anything on the generally metal substance of their music, no matter how long it is.

The band never mentioned in the Czech interviews I have read "ambient" as an integral part of the music. They always understand themselves as a metal band. So please, leave it as it is, the current genre gives you a good general idea about their sound. The "progressive tag already includes some uniqueness of their sound.

Alright, but could someone get rid of the "Symphonic" part and add in "Melodic" because those two ARE completely wrong for LA.

BlackCancer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:49 pm 

Wehmut - Melancholic Black Metal
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=92596
Should be changed to just black metal or "depressive" black metal in my opinion (there's a sample on their homepage): http://wehmut.kohop.de/dateien/wehmutdebutsamples.mp3

LIK - Occult Black Rock
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=16798
Any opinions on this one? I downloaded their second album and listened to some of the tracks, and "Black Metal with rock influences" is all I can come up with.
Here's a track I uploaded to megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GDBIS3GE

Varga -Groove/thrash (early), non-metal (Oxygen)
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=2799
Could be changed to nu-metal (Oxygen)

Antagonist (US) - melodic metalcore/deathcore
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=46098
The "melodic" tag is unnecessary in my opinion.

MMisantropo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:53 am 

Nyaricus wrote:

C'mon, virtually every traditional metal band had one or two power ballads per album. Is it necessary to spell it out as well?

SitraAhra
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:17 am 

Band TALAS,still not Archives,but its quite well known,and I think its listed in Rejected list(prove me if Im wrong).From these 2 samples :

http://www.philnaro.com/talas.html I think that it's still acceptable,but I must hear full Album.SOunds like Trad 80s HM act.Thanks.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:18 am 

SitraAhra wrote:
Band TALAS,still not Archives,but its quite well known,and I think its listed in Rejected list(prove me if Im wrong).From these 2 samples :

http://www.philnaro.com/talas.html I think that it's still acceptable,but I must hear full Album.SOunds like Trad 80s HM act.Thanks.

Wrong thread and I would have to hear the whole album too. The second song sounds promising.

Devilman5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:03 pm 

Ahumado Granujo are listed as straight up goregrind, when they really are moreso a mix of hardcore trance and goregrind, so I guess iIwould label them Cyber/Goregrind

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:50 pm 

Devilman5 wrote:
Ahumado Granujo are listed as straight up goregrind, when they really are moreso a mix of hardcore trance and goregrind, so I guess iIwould label them Cyber/Goregrind

I don't want to listen to it, but someone should probably check the metalness of this band if this is what it's being described as.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:03 pm 

http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=74299

This band is hardly experimental.... hardly thrash... and only death in the sense of death/grind.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:16 am 

Goatfangs wrote:
http://metal-archives.com/band.php?id=74299

This band is hardly experimental.... hardly thrash... and only death in the sense of death/grind.

They are more than enough experimental, when something should be listed as that, than them. You will hear there even some thrash riffs alongside regular death metal and some griding parts.

Anyway, I think this thread is getting senseless. Diverse users are constantly implying here their strange ideas about styles and genres and using them on bands, whose general styles are correct. That is not helpful in any way.

Devilman5
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:40 pm 

TheGrimWombat wrote:
Devilman5 wrote:

I don't want to listen to it, but someone should probably check the metalness of this band if this is what it's being described as.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x20VSHRUSr0

feel free do decide their metalness for yourself,

edit: also listen to the whole song, not just the first 30 seconds

Nyaricus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:28 pm 

MMisantropo wrote:
Nyaricus wrote:

C'mon, virtually every traditional metal band had one or two power ballads per album. Is it necessary to spell it out as well?

Actually, that's a very good point, and I didn't think of it that way. However ballads are a style of guitar and drum-based music - ie metal can easily incorperate ballads into the music style, as it's not something foreign to metal.

Ambient tracks are completely different as they are not metal, and are simply another aspect of the bands music. Burzum has listed under genres as being Ambient, for example, because within his discography he has dabbled in Ambient music. Lykthea Aflame, within their discography of one have dabbled in Ambient music, hence my original argument.

cheers,
--N

Demether14
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:18 pm 

for example, armenian band Ambehr (located now in russia) is not heavy metal, and ambehr has never been playing heavy metal. they played thrash-death on their demos, and from the first album to now times they play melodic death metal with folk influences!

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:24 pm 

Demether14 wrote:
for example, armenian band Ambehr (located now in russia) is not heavy metal, and ambehr has never been playing heavy metal. they played thrash-death on their demos, and from the first album to now times they play melodic death metal with folk influences!

http://www.myspace.com/theambehr
The music hear has only minimal death elements, it is some mix of power and folk metal, something like older Elvenking.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 103  Next