Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:21 pm 

I've noticed that a lot of regulars have yet to discover the magic that Black Metal provides. So, this thread is to help them (and others of course, not just regulars) to discover it.

Basically, you just have to come here, describe the sound you want and your favourite genre and we'll hint you towards that.

Keep'em coming :)

Link to the M-A Top 100 BM Albums Survey:

http://rateyourmusic.com/board_message/ ... is_1191962

http://www.metalfighters.com/

Last edited by Mors_Gloria on Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:26 pm 

Great thread. I want extremely hateful black metal, in the vein of Belketre and Mutiilation; insane vocals and raw production are required. I haven't found a single band more hateful than the two I mentioned, so I'll be grateful if someone can find something more hateful.
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Joeltl1349
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:27 pm 

I'm already familiar with the genre, but I'm a huge fan of vocalists who sound like they've cracked and gone demented. My favorite of these are Famine/Neige from PN/Mortifera and that guy from Enochian Crescent. What other vocalists sound batshit crazy? The more severe the better.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:28 pm 

Good idea for a thread. I wonder if Witcher'll post.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:29 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:
I'm already familiar with the genre, but I'm a huge fan of vocalists who sound like they've cracked and gone demented. My favorite of these are Famine/Neige from PN/Mortifera and that guy from Enochian Crescent. What other vocalists sound batshit crazy? The more severe the better.

Try Bilskirnir and Akitsa.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:30 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:
I'm already familiar with the genre, but I'm a huge fan of vocalists who sound like they've cracked and gone demented. My favorite of these are Famine/Neige from PN/Mortifera and that guy from Enochian Crescent. What other vocalists sound batshit crazy? The more extreme the better.

Try "Genesis Of A Satanic Race" by Lust. The best is the Spear Of Longinus cover at the end with three voices going at once. Musically, it is probobly different than what you are expecting.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:34 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:

Skjeld from Nyktalgia. He's also in Sterbend as well (but they're nowhere near as good musically). He's part of the screeching school, and a very good part of that school at that. Listen to the song Cold Void to get a good idea of just how extreme he can be.

Also, you mentioned Famine (whose vocals I adore), if you haven't already, check out his Valfunde split with Amesoeurs. His vocals on Sérénade De Verlaine are out of this world. So much emotion and passion, he truly sounds sick.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:34 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:

Or just check out M8L8TH and Silencer.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:36 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Joeltl1349 wrote:

No, no. We are supposed to be recommending him GOOD bands. Not joke bands.

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Joeltl1349 wrote:

Personally, I like both. He also used the word crazy so Nattramn is what he looks for :p

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:39 pm 

Okay, six posts on his request, not a single one on mine... :nono:
yeah, it's ironic, they are so pretentious, yet one can say that at least they don't pretend. They don't release some techno-rap-whatever album and say "on this record we tried to sound like in our old days"

Mors_Gloria
See? Marge was right!! ^

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:41 pm 

Kruel wrote:

It is not so easy to find something more hateful than Mutilation :ugh:

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:42 pm 

Mors_Gloria wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:
Mors_Gloria wrote:
Joeltl1349 wrote:

Personally, I like both. He also used the word crazy so Nattramn is what he looks for :p

Please, he's about as crazy as you or me.

Then again, you may be right. I mean, there are only a handful of people who ever get sent to psychiatric institutions, right? That's why there are only a few such institutions in the whole world...

C'mon, he's just a normal guy and they milked the story to get attention.

Joeltl1349
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:45 pm 

Kruel wrote:

I'm real sorry about that, but some fellas are lucky and some ain't :)

Thanks for the reccos. I've heard of most of those bands, but never checked them out, so I'll do so.

Also, I do own the Amesoeurs/Valfunde split.. Unexpectedly though, I received it on vinyl format (which I guess is probably the only format on which it was released). I do have a record player, but I need to find a way to get those songs on my iPod.. point is, I haven't listened to it yet.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:45 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Great thread. I want extremely hateful black metal, in the vein of Belketre and Mutiilation; insane vocals and raw production are required. I haven't found a single band more hateful than the two I mentioned, so I'll be grateful if someone can find something more hateful.

Try other LLN bands. Seviss, Torture, and Torgeist are all on par with Belketre and Mutillation in terms of rawness and hatefulness.

ZackP
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:46 pm 

stuff in the vein of negura bunget?

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:47 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:
Kruel wrote:

I'm real sorry about that, but some fellas are lucky and some ain't :)

No need to be sorry, my request was pretty tough to begin with, as Mors_Gloria pointed out.

In fact, Mutiilation's vocals are pretty fucking "crazy," now that I think about them.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:48 pm 

Joeltl1349 wrote:
Also, I do own the Amesoeurs/Valfunde split.. Unexpectedly though, I received it on vinyl format (which I guess is probably the only format on which it was released). I do have a record player, but I need to find a way to get those songs on my iPod.. point is, I haven't listened to it yet.

I'm not too sure about getting tracks off of vinyls, but do yourself a very big favour and listen to it. The Valfunde side is amazing. Takes a couple of listens to really let it sink in, but after that you have yourself some incredible music. The Amesoeurs side is also very good, if you don't mind heavily punk influenced music. It's hard to describe. Not as good as Ruines Humaines though.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:48 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
Kruel wrote:

Try other LLN bands. Seviss, Torture, and Torgeist are all on par with Belketre and Mutillation in terms of rawness and hatefulness.

Actually I wanted something other than LLN, since I was already planning to do a great check-out of the whole LLN on some weekend. Should have clarified. Anyway, thanks for the reply. :-)

mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:52 pm 

I want bleak, depressing, hopeless black metal, almost exactly like Transilvanian Hunger (the only black metal record I own).

My favorite genre is thrash, with a healthy dose of death. I like my metal fast.

But that's not what I'm looking for, really. I want the complete opposite of technicality; I want pure, unadulterated atmosphere. Remember, think TH.

Thanks!
:D

Joeltl1349
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:55 pm 

Call_From_The_Tower wrote:
Joeltl1349 wrote:

I'm not too sure about getting tracks off of vinyls, but do yourself a very big favour and listen to it.

My dad said something about hooking up the record player to the stereo system and hooking that up to the 8 track recorder we have, and then I could burn the tracks onto a CD. It should work.. hopefully. I don't feel like going to sit in my music room everytime I wanna listen to it/I want to listen to it while bussing and whatnot.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:59 pm 

@mpawluk:
Yngizarm, Sword Of Darkness, Svartthron, Ulver, Man Among Stars,
In The Woods..., (old)Godkiller, Forest of Fog, Burzum(ambiant years) all have a very well pronounced atmosphere. If you need help finding MaS, try looking around blogspot or soulseek. Its very limited material.

If you want BM with Technicality though, check out Hidden In The Fog ;)
It even has atmosphere to it.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:59 pm 

mpawluk wrote:
I want bleak, depressing, hopeless black metal, almost exactly like Transilvanian Hunger (the only black metal record I own).

My favorite genre is thrash, with a healthy dose of death. I like my metal fast.

But that's not what I'm looking for, really. I want the complete opposite of technicality; I want pure, unadulterated atmosphere. Remember, think TH.

Thanks!

Give Spitehowling's "Born To Die For Evil" a listen. Obviously, there is nothing like TH, but this I think you will enjoy a good deal. Very High quality material, despite the fact that the guy looks like Uncle Fester.

Last edited by Lord_Hate on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:01 pm 

iAm wrote:
Yngizarm, Sword Of Darkness, Svartthron, Ulver, Man Among Stars, In The Woods..., (old)Godkiller, Forest of Fog, Burzum(ambiant years) all have a very well pronounced atmosphere.

Lord_Hate wrote:
Give Spitehowling's "Born To Die For Evil" a listen. Obviously, there is nothing like TH, but this I think you will enjoy a good deal. Very High quality material, despite the fact that the guy looks like Uncle Fester.

Thanks, guys. I'll get on all of this right away.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:04 pm 

Also consider "Campo De Mayo" by Campo De Mayo, "Endless Dismal Moan" by Endless Dismal Moan, and look into the all of the big second wave Norweigen bands, and the classic bands from that region and time period. Mayhem, Burzum, Gorgoroth, Ulver, Carpathian Forest, other Darkthrone albums... these are all things you should be familiar with.

You know, "recommend me aptmospheric black metal" is way, way too broad a request. You've got to narrow that down somewhat, I can think of tons of bands.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:07 pm 

Kruel, you want hateful black metal. That's like saying you want a French baguette. Well, here goes...Ildjarn, Der Sturmer, Pesttanz, Abruptum, Wintergewitter, Thor's Hammer, and Branikald are all very fucking hateful.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:11 pm 

DBettino wrote:
Kruel, you want hateful black metal. That's like saying you want a French baguette. Well, here goes...Ildjarn, Der Sturmer, Pesttanz, Abruptum, Wintergewitter, Thor's Hammer, and Branikald are all very fucking hateful.

Black Tribe, Prosatanicum, Bone Awl, Fuck Off And Die!, Carpathian Forest, Blackthrone, Campo De Mayo, Dead Raven Choir, Zyklon B, Xenophobia, Kroll... Again, this is definitely a request that needs to be narrowed down.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 pm 

DBettino wrote:

I don't get the analogy, but thanks nonetheless.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:12 pm 

mpawluk wrote:

Thanks!

For depressive BM, check out Taarma and Defaillance. They're from Pakistan and France, respectively. Defaillance is one of my personal favorites.

Also, you'd enjoy the American bands Hills of Sefiroth and I Shalt Become. Of the two, I actually prefer Hills of Sefiroth.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:13 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
DBettino wrote:

Black Tribe, Prosatanicum, Bone Awl, Fuck Off And Die!, Carpathian Forest, Blackthrone, Campo De Mayo, Dead Raven Choir, Zyklon B, Xenophobia, Kroll... Again, this is definitely a request that needs to be narrowed down.

Well, what if I narrow it down to "more hateful than Mutiilation"?

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:14 pm 

Kruel wrote:
DBettino wrote:

I don't get the analogy, but thanks nonetheless.

I was trying to make a joke. Whenever I go to the store and see French bread, it always says 'French baguette.' As opposed to what, a Russian baguette? It's dumb, I know, but it always makes me laugh.

Lord_Hate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:15 pm 

Kruel wrote:
Lord_Hate wrote:
DBettino wrote:

Well, what if I narrow it down to "more hateful than Mutiilation"?

Take Branikald off the list. :lol:

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:17 pm 

Joyless88 wrote:
Kruel wrote:

try monarque, Ziel Bevrijd, and Csejthe.

That Ziel Bevrijd/Csejthe split is sweet.

Also, someone mentioned Bone Awl. I was going for more ambient hateful stuff, but this is a very good band.

mpawluk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:19 pm 

Lord_Hate wrote:
You know, "recommend me aptmospheric black metal" is way, way too broad a request. You've got to narrow that down somewhat, I can think of tons of bands.

I'm talking on almost the wavelength that Kruel is. I want the most atmospheric of atmospheric. Very little to no technicality or even wank in any case. Vocals don't matter to me. Just the records that seem to make the sky greyer or the room a little colder.

Call_From_The_Tower
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:20 pm 

Joyless88 wrote:
mpawluk wrote:

Thanks!

try austere out. they are awesome

They're that Australian band kind of in the vein of Burzum, yeah? If so, then yes, they are good from what I remember.

Kruel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:25 pm 

Now I'm flooding with recs. Thanks guys.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 142  Next