* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Orphaned_Light
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:07 pm 

Lord_Jotun wrote:
Pyrus wrote:
He describes the music (at least, from his standpoint), but it seems like this description could apply to about 300 different albums.

Agreed. This is the main weakness of the review IMO.

Well that along with all of the excessive genre bashing makes for a weak negative review, which I loathe the most out of all reviews.

Manchester_Devil
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:09 pm 

Great EP - 87%
Written by OlympicSharpshooter on April 19th, 2004

I joined the Metal Archives fairly recently, so I didn't get a chance to do a St. Anger review(it would've received an 84), so this is the next best thing. What you've got here is one of the better songs on St. Anger(issue "Sweet Amber" as a single dammit!) plus a bunch of really solid live cuts. Whatever you say about Metallica, they've always gotten the job done live, and they've been really on for this tour, much more so than the rather limp performance captured on the S&M album and DVD.

I'll start with the title track. Like the album itself, “The Unnamed Feeling” owes itself to both old and new Metallica. It's sort of a statement on the metal scene in general in that regard. We sit in the middle of a paradigm shift in metal history. The definitions are changing. Just as the 80's metal crew started declassifying traditional metal like Aerosmith into the vague "hard rock" category. Now metalheads, the hardcore ones, are starting to revisualize the genre, to expand it's boundaries. But there are some who resist. Fuck you, maybe SlipKnot and Disturbed are louder, faster, and harder than anything Iron Maiden ever put out but I'll be damned if I call them metal. They are "hardcore", "metalcore", or worst of all "mallcore". Pffft.

St.Anger is not a hardcore album, "The Unnamed Feeling" is not a mallcore song. It's a metal record. On the whole the St.Anger got more in common with traditional metal than with The Deftones, but still it's being flayed for being progressive and new. We may look back and find out that St.Anger is a true landmark in the progression of metal. But maybe it won't, so let me step off of my soap box and talk about the release at hand.

Like every other Metallica song(except "2x4" it's good, and in fact "The Unnamed Feeling" is probably one of the best songs they've ever done. Fuck calling this nu-metal. No nu-metal act hits this hard, feels this passionate, is built so raw. It'd be like calling Accept a hair band because they have a singer with a high pitched voice. Make no mistake, the St. Anger record shares some common characteristics with nu-metal, and as a fervent hater of Linkin Park and company, and all they represent, it upsets me a bit. But I look beyond.

I see this as a throw back to both “Until it Sleeps” and “Welcome Home(Sanitarium)”. James is at the top of his game with little of the slightly punky tone he'd acquired by Reload. This a real a gem of a performance throughout over a truly rocking riff that has that slow but unstoppable feeling of “No Leaf Clover” or “The Outlaw Torn”, with lyrics that, while reminiscent of “UIS” are among the most dependably solid on the record(sorry boys, but not every song here is "One"). It’s a straight ten, even if James does a passable Jonathan Davis impression towards the end of the song. The difference is that while KoRn bitches and moans so much that it loses it’s power within the first twenty seconds, this comes after a singularly forceful performance by Het and feels much more honest and exposed. Of course, I love Metallica so what do I know?

Of course, if you're one of those who despises new Metallica in any form, the live stuff is still well worth the price of admission. "The Four Horsemen" kicks into overdrive like nobody's business, and you can practically see Dave Mustaine moping about how "Mechanix" was really never as good. "Damage Inc." has always been one of the most intense Metallica numbers, truly shredding the melodic elements that had started to creep into the band's music by the time Master of Puppets came out, and the band does it justice here.

Although it was much publicized that Lars didn't even touch his double-bass live on this song in recent years, he doesn't skimp on it here. I've never really loved this song, but it is a convincing chugger with great lyrics. Don't forget "Motorbreath" either, always one of the better songs on Kill 'Em All I felt. I still don't think they need to do every song from it on this tour, but people have missed it after such a long abscence so...

"Ride the Lightning" works very effectively live, and it makes you wonder how they dropped it from the set for so many years. Did you really need to play "Nothing Else Matters" so often? "Hit the Lights" has such a great chorus, and the punky vibes of the verses work even better now than they did before. Well worth a spin, particularly for it's huge historical signifigance.

In the end, this is not an essential release, but it is a very good one. The songs could be better chosen, but I'm sure classic thrashheads will get all misty eyed for tender youth and lost brain cells. A great combo of new and old.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd reckon he's new to metal, otherwise; how could one say that St. Angry and the singles it spawned did Metal as a genre a favour? TO THE OVENS I'd say!

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:21 pm 

Sorry you don't agree with it. It stays.

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:21 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Sorry you don't agree with it. It stays.
agreed, it's a good review.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:23 pm 

Yeah, people have forgotten about that little bit that said,
Quote:
And by that, I mean a review that truly begs the question, "Who was so high/drunk/asleep that they accepted this?". Not just a review you disagree with, or that's merely average.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Sorion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:03 pm 

Written by Cinerary on August 23rd, 2002

The longest song on the album is 2:38, and i don't give a fuck. These german perverts release their second CD with 21 tracks of perversion and pummeling madness. The vocals performed by drummer Sascha Pahlke (although he uses harmonizers and pitch shifters) are as gutfucking br00tal as you could imagine. If you enjoy Hemdale, you'll definatly love these sick fucks.

Best songs: "Spank Me - Fuck Me - Fill Me", "Lesbian Duo Dildo Fuck", "Candy Teen Pussy Pleasures" and "Koala Cunt"

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=3947

Honestly. This review tells me that the longest song is 2.38, and that the vocals are gufucking br00tal. (wow he used that as a positive description?!)

Not to mention that it increases the album's average quite a lot.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:39 pm 

Hmmm...it's iffy, because to be honest, how much description can you write about something like that? Taken into consideration.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:36 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Hmmm...it's iffy, because to be honest, how much description can you write about something like that? Taken into consideration.

Doesn't that, in itself, say something about the album?

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:14 am 

ARGH. Fifty thousand dollars and a handjob to the man who brings me the severed head of PumpkinFlyFree.

I'm subjecting unworthy reviews to the guillotine, and about thirty of them have been his. Keep the oven fodder coming, people; I've got the spare time to nuke them if you submit them.

Orphaned_Light
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:24 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=12482#612

Written by PowerMetalGuardian on May 30th, 2003

I am glad I had the opportunity to listen to this album, and then review it for everyone. Isis is considered death metal, but I am not to sure on that. Not a lot of people have heard of Isis, I know I never have until now. And I wish I never heard of them. Celestial is definetly something else! It has ambient sounds at points, long songs, whinny vocals turned to death metal vocals (not really dm vocals, more of a pissed off screaming to your face turns red), and detuned guitars that use the same riffs over and over. Take the crappy death metal vocals, throw in the song length of Opeth songs, the detuned angst of Godsmack, and some ambient noise, and you have Isis.

It is easy to break down this album into three parts because of the three Sgnl (Signals). The first track, which is the first signal, is nothing up until 50 seconds in the track. All you hear is someone typing on a keyboard. Then we are sent into Celestial (The Tower) with a powerful riff and some weird noise. The riff isn't bad, however two minutes of the same riff is just lame, and honestly quite boring! At two minutes we see whinny vocals turn into supposedly death metal vocals. It's not death metal, it is screaming till you pass out, which is very obnoxious. After 9 minutes of this crap, the next song rolls in, Glisten. Halfway through this six minute song, it sounds like they use the same riff that they played in Celestial, but it's not (I had to check six times). It is awfully close though. The vocals are totally mellow/whinny, they just get worse every song. Swarm Reigns isn't any better. Clocking in at another six minutes, the vocals now get an annoying distortion added to them. At least three minutes of the song is devoted to a drum beat and the sound that is quit similar to walking around in the tunnels of the video game Half-Life.

Sgnl 2! Absolutely nothing but a buzzing noise and more Half-Life sound effects. Deconstructing Towers, starts off with a cool riff, but it is too detuned for me. Seven long agonizing minutes of the same riffs used over and over, no solo's to liven things up. No vocals either, which could be a good or a bad thing. If they were trying to hit the ambient sound on this song, they missed it by..oh about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 miles.

Sgnl 3...er is this the same thing as Sgnl 2? No, this one is shorter, but it is the same thing basically (same noise and stuff). Collapse and Crush actually has some decent riffs, but it's relatively slow. At least this song is only 5 minutes long, but there is nothing to it. It does harsh vocals that would make any metal head throw up their lunch. C.F.T. is the push over, it starts off with this clean riff. The riff stays with the song about 3 minutes (zzz). Then it adds crappy, whinny, feedback guitars at the end. Nonthing else to this song. Gentle Time is the song that makes you realize this isn't death metal. The vocals are clean and have a distortion to them, almost like they are faded. And Sgnl 4..Hello! I am not even going there...lets just say the same thing as Sgnl 1, but reverse.

This album plain out sucks. The ambient presence is missing, or really hard to find. Death metal vocals! What death metal vocals? All I hear is a whinny singer who tries to spew out hate, but in return spews out his remains. Riffs are choppy, make no sense, and are recycled over and over again. Hell the only thing that was ok was the drumming. I urge every metal head to stay away from this. Unless you like nu metal sounding riffs and gay vocals, along with 9 minute songs...It truly is a waste of your life!

I've always thought this review sucked. He obviously is quite the uninformed individual when it comes to this music and I have no idea why he listened to it. Just like I wouldn't want a mallcore fan reviewing death metal, I don't want a Power/Thrash metal fan reviewing Drone Doom stuff, but maybe that's just me.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:36 pm 

Quote:
And by that, I mean a review that truly begs the question, "Who was so high/drunk/asleep that they accepted this?". Not just a review you disagree with, or that's merely average.

:roll:

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 6:50 pm 

What Os said. It stays.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:19 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1033#376

Quote:
Heavy...Damn Hell Ass Heavy - 87%
Written by Rottrephile on January 16th, 2003

I popped this cd in and was once again reminded that Bolt Thrower is possible the HEAVIEST band in creation. Everything is nice and slow, which is not my style. Despite that, I couldn't help but become hypnotized into a headbanging delirium. Granted, the guitars play monotonous, but they are so heavy, it doesn't matter. Some other bands should take note of this (I'm looking at you Cannibal Corpse). The drums aren't great either, barely even audible at points, but it doesn't really matter because your brain is vibrating at an even rate, reducing you to a headbanging zombie. Do yourself a favor and stick this or any other BT cd in your car and cruise all night long.

I'd give it a 2-2.5 out of 10.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1033#79

Get rid of this one too.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=840#79

And this.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:42 pm 

1st and 3rd deleted. Ktulu's isn't that bad.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:47 pm 

This one is pretty lame. The only real description is a short comparison to another band.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1302#6269
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:51 pm 

Guillotined. And I'm considered taking the blade to the other two as well, or at least EmperorDeath's.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:00 am 

Pyrus wrote:
Guillotined. And I'm considered taking the blade to the other two as well, or at least EmperorDeath's.

If you're considering the other two, you might as well consider these, too...they're also pretty skimpy on content, especially the one for 'Dark Medieval Times.'

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1305#170
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1308#170
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:26 am 

Axed the first one, and decided to leave those two I mentioned alone. I'm a reasonable man.

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:43 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=336

I think this review is pretty bad. It does not describe the music at all..... Bad choice of instruments and vocals, what the hell does that mean? Comparing it to Marilyn Manson.... Ok.... in which way?

This is what the review says:
This album is crap, sounds like Marilyn Manson :rolleyes: , No surprises, (bad choice of instruments and vocals :scratch: ) I didn't like it.
That's pretty much all that I can get from this review.

Nuke Please.

Quote:
Written by Satanic_Warmonger on March 23rd, 2004

We have here an album which could be best summed up as... CRAP. While listening to this the main band that came to mind was Marilyn Manson, all this album really shows us is that Dimmu Borgir even in their early days were still no good, nothing special, not even full of suprises. Glittertind was the only really potential song on this entire album, all else, sucked beyond all belief, this is mainly due to the bad choice of instruments and bad choice of vocals which is mostly clean singing in Norwegian. This album just isnt played much, ive probably listened to it once, you dont need to step in crap twice to know if it stinks haha...

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:15 pm 

UNDER
THE GUILLOTINE

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:17 pm 

Thank you :thumbsup:

Lord_Jotun
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:19 am 

Quote:
Written by Satanic_Warmonger on March 23rd, 2004

We have here an album which could be best summed up as... CRAP. While listening to this the main band that came to mind was Marilyn Manson, all this album really shows us is that Dimmu Borgir even in their early days were still no good, nothing special, not even full of suprises. Glittertind was the only really potential song on this entire album, all else, sucked beyond all belief, this is mainly due to the bad choice of instruments and bad choice of vocals which is mostly clean singing in Norwegian. This album just isnt played much, ive probably listened to it once, you dont need to step in crap twice to know if it stinks haha...

So a couple of verses sung with clean vocals on a single song (the rest of the clean vocals on that one are spoken words, actually) make an album "mostly clean sung"? *proportions scream in agony*

Tharamyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:04 am 

Mercyfulfate666's latest review (CoF - Cruelty...) is gawdawful.
mercyfulfate666 wrote:
Cruelty and the beast is an epic classic from Cradle of Filth. After this album filth started to change their sound so I guess you could call this the last classic filth album with the exception of “Midian” even though they changed their sound that is a classic. The songs are epics with excellent guitar playing and screeching vocals with classic drumming. It is a concept album and tells the story of the Countess Elizabeth Bathory (like the Venom song) but you don’t need to listen to the album all the way through to enjoy it, anyway the story is kind of complex this story is kind of complex. This album is classic from its first three seven minute epics to the final seven min. epic at the end.

Once Upon Atrocity- This is just an incremental track to start the album.
There really isn’t anything special about this song.

Thirteen Autumns and a Widow - This song is probably one of the best Cradle of Filth songs of all time. It starts out slow and then gets heavy with excellent riffs and tempo changes. The song has some many riffs and it still flows together so good its insane. This song is a classic. Cradle of Filth songs are so complex but they flow together so well, it’s amazing and it shows that they have talent in writing music.

Cruelty brought thee orchids- this is another epic like the song before. It has more of a slower style than the first but this is still a classic. This song might take time to grow on you but after awhile you’ll realize this is a classic.

Beneath the Howling Stars- this is another epic song with complex riffs and classic drums. Out of the first three epics this is the weakest and takes the longest to grow on you.

Venus in Fear- this is another instrumental track that consists of Dani's screaming vocals and the female vocalist moaning.

Desire in Violent Overture- This is another classic song with excellent riffs. Its sorter than the previous three epics but still is an amazing song.

The Twisted Nails of Faith- this is again another classic song with many tempo changes making this a complex song.

Bathory Aria- this is an eleven-minuete epic that consists of three different parts. The first part is slow and pretty short. The other two are about five minutes each and are similar so it’s hard to tell them apart.

Portraits of the Dead Countess- this is another instrumental track. There is nothing special about this one.

Lustmord and Wargasm (the lick of Carnivorous Wounds)- This is another and seven minute epic and a great way to end a classic album. This is probably the one of the heaviest songs on the album because there are not many tempo changes.

Disc two- Limited edition contains a second disc with two songs and three covers. Cradle of Filth is paying respect to the elders of metal. They cover Venoms "Black Metal" which is a classic. It sounds much better than the original. Iron Maiden’s "Hallowed Be Thy Name." They did an amazing job with this; they re-created a classic and gave a different sound to one of the best metal songs of all time and Sodom’s “Sodomy and Lust” which is excellent also. The other two songs are "Lustmord and Wargasm (the Re-licking of the Cadaverous Wounds." This is the same as the one on the album with only a few, almost unnoticeable changes which are the absence of the female vocals and some extra guitar riffs here and there. Finally there’s “Twisting further nails (the Cruci-fiction mix.)" I have no clue what this song is it’s some kind of dance/techno mix and it’s not metal.

Overall this album is a masterpiece and all fans should get this now. This is a good place to start for new fans.

Wow, an album with excellent guitar playing and classic drumming?

The track-by-track is one of the worst I've ever read.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:28 pm 

Links, guys. I'm not hunting those reviews down myself, especially when I don't even know what the first one is for.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:57 am 

ODIN DEMANDS A SACRIFICE.

Keep 'em coming. Be harsh. Be br00thal. PURGE THE WEAK FROM OUR DOMAIN.

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:34 am 

:lol: Odin is my favorite God

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:04 am 

Take a look at the incredibly minimalistic reviews for this album:

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=286

EDIT: NightCrawler got the two really bad ones.

Reaper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:10 am 

Quote:
Nice Ambient Album! - 93%
Written by RobgorothBlackMetal on December 24th, 2003

My second Mortiis review;
A couple of weeks/months ago I reviewed the kind of 'electronic' Mortiis album called "The Smell Of Rain". This time I review the ambient album called "Crypt Of The Wizard".
There's a big difference between the old Mortiis albums and the newer one's.
Mortiis changed from typical ambient/darkwave to industrial/darkwave, with very typical sounds.
This album is one of those Ambient albums. I can't describe this album different then "fantastic". Why? I'll explain.
The music made by Mortiis, is very, very unique. Not that standard Ambient produced by many many more artists. Every track contains an different sound, all very unique.
Best songs on this album are:
Vandreren's Sang (5)
Den Bordreune Regnbuen (6)
I Morket Drommenende (9)
Especially the last one is very great. Actually I Morket... contains 2 songs in one. I starts with very beautiful, indian kind of music, made with pan-pipes. After 2 or 3 minutes it switches to an happy folk-tone sort of melody.
Not an very complex album, but for sure great enough to try!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What A Great Album - 95%
Written by Minas_Morgul2 on December 24th, 2003

This starts off with the majestic and medieval sounding "Ferden og Kallet" and continues throughout the album in that vein. With brilliant use of the keyboards Mortiis manages to bring you through the motions of a medieval world, and by closing your eyes you can visualise the images created by the weaving sound scapes. Put more simply, this album is a masterpiece; the closest, in my eyes, anyone has come to telling a story without words.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This IS what Mortiis should be.. - 94%
Written by Intoxicata on October 1st, 2003

This is true Mortiis.

"Crypt Of The Wizard" is an instrumental album,and to the best of my knowledge has NO lyrics at all.

Each of the 14 tracks is performed solely by using electronics and synths,and the end result produces some very dark brooding music.

"En Sirkel Ov Kosmisk Kaos"(A Circle Of Cosmic Chaos)is my personal favourite.Its a very schizophrenic track,it starts off with one of the perkiest electro hooks ive heard in a while,then does a 180 on itself and goes into creepy sound effects,and Mortiis starts growling,the closest thing on the cd to lyrics.

The album is basically a bias of perky and doomy songs,most of which really are memorable,and really do give you chills.And THIS is what makes this album so good.

It really cannot be compared to anything else ive ever heard.
If you have only heard "Smell Of Rain"this album will surprise you a lot.

Well Worth the purchase

My God! All three of the reviews for that album suck ass. That's gotta be some kind of record. My brain hurts from reading those 3 reviews. Oy, the pain.

~Guest 2214
Of Runes and Men

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:24 am 

Reaper wrote:
Quote:

This IS what Mortiis should be.. - 94%
Written by Intoxicata on October 1st, 2003

This is true Mortiis.

"Crypt Of The Wizard" is an instrumental album,and to the best of my knowledge has NO lyrics at all.

Each of the 14 tracks is performed solely by using electronics and synths,and the end result produces some very dark brooding music.

"En Sirkel Ov Kosmisk Kaos"(A Circle Of Cosmic Chaos)is my personal favourite.Its a very schizophrenic track,it starts off with one of the perkiest electro hooks ive heard in a while,then does a 180 on itself and goes into creepy sound effects,and Mortiis starts growling,the closest thing on the cd to lyrics.

The album is basically a bias of perky and doomy songs,most of which really are memorable,and really do give you chills.And THIS is what makes this album so good.

It really cannot be compared to anything else ive ever heard.
If you have only heard "Smell Of Rain"this album will surprise you a lot.

Well Worth the purchase

Haha that was one of my first reviews,and yeah,its not that good.Ill rewrite it if needs be

Tharamyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:41 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Links, guys. I'm not hunting those reviews down myself, especially when I don't even know what the first one is for.

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=69

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:42 pm 

Osmium–I'm leaving that last review. It's pretty borderline, but since it's the only review left, I'll keep it there until somebody writes a better one.

Deleted that CoF review, and a few others.

UltraBoris
Speed Metal Satan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:09 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Osmium–I'm leaving that last review. It's pretty borderline, but since it's the only review left, I'll keep it there until somebody writes a better one.
I suppose I'll leave it too, though it's really a "2" in my book. But only because Tox promised a rewrite. So, BRING IT. ;-)

Tharamyr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:17 pm 

Pyrus wrote:
Deleted that CoF review, and a few others.

While you're at it, more mercyfulfate666 reviews that suck ass:
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=68
http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=72

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:07 pm 

Nuked and nuked. As well as two or three others for the second album. Now I'm going to rape mercyfulfate666's selection of reviews.

~Guest 2214
Of Runes and Men

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:45 pm 

UltraBoris wrote:
Pyrus wrote:
I suppose I'll leave it too, though it's really a "2" in my book. But only because Tox promised a rewrite. So, BRING IT. ;-)

This will take me a few days due to a hectic week,but itll get done.

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:56 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=21633#6230

Quote:
A good album that got me into the band - 93%
Written by headbanger on March 28th, 2004

I had a lot about Iron Maiden on the Internet. Mainly compliments and praise about the band. So, after hearing so much, I knew I had to try them out and see just who it was I was hearing so much good stuff about.
I went to the local Target (hey, I had gift certificates to there) and searched the store’s CD collection for Iron Maiden. All they had was Dance of Death. So I decided to buy it. When I got home, I immediately popped the CD into my stereo and listened to it completely from beginning to end.
The one track that stuck out to me the most was “Dance of Death”. After hearing that, a door opened up to me that led me to get into the rest of the CD. Soon after, I began to notice the quality of other songs, mainly “No More Lies”, “Montsegur”, and “Paschendale”. All four of the songs I mentioned have lyrics, instruments, and just a great overall feel to them. “No More Lies” flows smoothly, “Montsegur” is a fast-paced song that is short compared to the other songs on the album, but still good. “Dance of Death” is a long song that starts off really slow, as if the singer was literally telling a story, but speed up to put some feeling into the song. “Pashcendale” is a great war song worthy of being played at my funeral if I die in an appropriate way. It contains an amazing guitar solo, one of my favorites, and has great lyrical content.
This is a great album worth getting. To anybody who is just getting into Iron Maiden or about to get into the band, you should definitely get this album. It will blow you away.

Wasn't this an issue a little while ago?

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=21633#1991

Quote:
Still Fucking Going! - 89%
Written by langstondrive on September 20th, 2003

I really refuse to believe that a band can continue to put out insanely good albums after albums, then get a new singer, suck, and return with the old singer and kick the world's ass again. Fresh on the heels of 2001's "Brave New World" comes "Dance of Death". 11 songs of pure Maiden's interesting brand of metal. Wildest Dreams is very good, underrated as it is, it comes nowhere close to being the winner of this album. In fact, that title goes to Paschendale, which is another true Iron Maiden epic song. Great riffs and song changes characterize this song as well as the other epic on this album, Dance of Death, which is an equal song. Age of Innocence is an incredible song packed full with riffs. An excellent album from a band that refuses to quit. (It would have been 2 or 3 points higher if not for Montsegur's retarded chorus).

Wildest Dreams - 9/10
Rainmaker - 10/10
No More Lies - 9/10
Montsegur - 7.5/10
Dance of Death - 10/10
Gates of Tomorrow - 8.5/10
New Frontier - 10/10
Paschendale - 10/10
Age of Innocence - 10/10
Journeyman - 9/10

Tehh-minate, please.

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=29944#2613

Quote:
Triumphant Return - 99%
Written by Thrasher666 on March 18th, 2004

This is the best Deicide album in years. Much better than In Torment in Hell and Insineratehymn (which were rumored to be just albums put out to get off of Roadrunner Records). Now Deicide released this album on Earache..and all I have to say is...IT KICKS ASS! Reminds me of a mix of Once Upon the Cross and Serpents of the Light. It is not as brutal as Legion, but it certainly is BRUTAL. There's a lot of melody on this album, maybe even the most melodic Deicide album yet. But this isn't Children of Bodom melodic, this is straight DEATH METAL melody!!

If you're a fan of old Deicide and were let down by the past 2 albums, check this one out!!

I'd give this review a 2 out of 10, only because he compares it somewhat to earlier albums.

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=796#2613

Quote:
The darkest death metal album of all time - 100%
Written by Thrasher666 on March 24th, 2004

This album gives you a truelly dark feel. It may be the old school distortion on the guitars, the semi-Darkthrone production, the vocals, the bizarre keyboard section in the title track, or the lyrical content...but this album is DARK. Unlike most DM classics like Deicide or Altars of Madness that make you want to mosh or band your head, this album makes you want to slit your wrists in the dark. The music is completely classic early DM, but I don't know what it is about this album that makes it so sinister and dark. I've yet to hear another album that sounds like this one, so, if you're into metal, CHECK THIS OUT!

By the way, later Entombed sucks.

Until you DO know what it is about this album that makes it so sinister and dark, don't write a review.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:38 am 

I left the fourth one alone, though.

OSheaman
No one cares about your title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:22 pm 

I didn't. It's gone. :thumbsup:

Osmium
The Hateful Raven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:01 am 

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=304#5306

Quote:
One of the greatest live albums ever. - 98%
Written by music_shadowsfall on March 28th, 2004

This is easily one of the best live albums I have ever heard. Nearly all of Iced Earth's best songs are on this 3 disc album. Not only that, but each song sounds better than they originally did on their respective albums. The audience participation is also great. The only thing I dislike is Barlow talking in between some of the songs. I don't mind this on most live albums, but he just sounds pretty fucking stupid on this.

But whatever. The first disc is my favourite of the three. The highlights include Burning Times, Pure Evil, Melancholy, Travel in Stygian, a Question of Heaven, and of course, Dante's Inferno. This version sounds a lot better than the Burnt Offerings version did, and it is easily the best song in the whole album. Disc 2 has some of their best songs, and some of their worst. Last December, Angel's Holocaust, Stormrider, Path I choose, the Something Wicked Trilogy and Iced Earth are all performed extremely well. Unfortunately, on this CD are also I Died for You, one of the worst Iced Earth songs in existence, and Watching Over Me, another pretty bad song from the crew. Disc 3 also kicks ass, with great tracks like Stand Alone, Brainwashed, Diary, and Blessed Are You.

This simply is an amazing live album. I suggest that both fans new to Iced Earth and older fans buy this, as it beats any studio release of theirs by much.

This review can be summed up as follows:

The songs sound better. I don't like Barlow talking between songs. :tracklist:

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=304#1852

Quote:
Priest, Maiden...you both have been beast fucked - 99%
Written by KreatorOfDestruction on October 26th, 2003

Live After Death and Unleashed In the East have been, arguably, the best Live metal albums ever made. Their reign at the top has been fucking destryoed, or rather joined by one of contempory metal's brightest stars: to quote Mr. Barlow, "ICED FUCKING EARTH!!!!". After a scary moment when Matt fails to hit the opening note of "Burning times" all is made well as the band ascends to the level of Metal Gods as this double (and for the fortunate, tripple) disc live beast makes chopped live out of your ear drums and makes you involuntarily throw the horns intot he air and bang your head like you have hair growing down to your arse. This was the first Iced Earth cd I had bought, and sadly...nothing else they have even touches the performance here. As soon as Dante's Inferno rung its final chords I knew then and there that this was one of the greatest albums ever put out. It is absolutely true that an amazing band doesn't just play for an audience, they enslave that audience and make sure that every damn one of the audience members can not function without hearing that band over and over again...Iced Earth has accomplished this with this amazing recording. I have had it since the day it came ou, and I sit here on October 26, 2003 still listening to this album as if I had just purchased it.

I know live albums don't have to be described in great detail. However, one should mention if the sound is any different from the studio version, instead of writing the tracklist or "I like this album" 30 times.

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=298#1632

Quote:
Classic melodic death album - 81%
Written by VladTheImpaler on June 1st, 2003

First of all I want to say this is much better then the Haunteds latest album "One kill wonder" and it's kind of sad they had to split up(don't know why) and go diffrent ways. The brothers' Björler does a much better performance in this album and so does...everything else. Blinded by fear is not a good start, I feel nothing really special to this at all. After that song the first and maybe even the best song comes along in "slaughter of the soul", then it just goes on and the riffs in cold(1.45) is one of the best moments in the whole album. Songs from 2-5 and "the flames of the end" are the reasons why I rate this album as high as I do 'cause they are the others are just in avarage good but not as good as these 5.

Best moments of the album: Slaughter of the soul, cold, into the dead sky
Not as good: Blinded by fear, suicide nation

This is better than a funhouse mirror.

~

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=298#170

Quote:
Blinded by excellence - 93%
Written by HawkMoon on November 21st, 2002

Okay. What we got here is a timeless masterpiece. That SHOULD be enough said.. but what the heck. Last opus from swedish deathsters At The Gates (r.i.p.) and the best so-called Gothenburg metal you can find. Although not very similar to In Flames and such, this is more death/thrash, mostly fast-paced, very melodic and always brilliant technical riffing. That should be
enough too, go get this now goddamnit!

The album may be timeless, but your review is not.

Pyrus
Rabbi of Riffage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:11 am 

Killed, spared, killed, superduperkilled.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 239  Next