Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:31 pm 

Trevor wrote:
that's an absurdly low % of profit although when you're selling millions of CDs a lot of money has been spent on promotion, TV ads, etc. so you'll get a smaller % per album than if you were selling them from your basement but it's pretty hard to believe that it's less than 10 cents.

How much does a popular band on say Metal Blade or Century Media gets per album? It must be more than that

It is absurdly low, but that's how it's been in almost all contracts I've seen with any major label. I reiterate though, there is no such thing as a "standard" contract, they are all different in their own ways, but as far as royalties for sales go, this is near what the final amount is going to be.

Strange Death Metal

orionmetalhead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:39 pm 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:

Recording contracts vary greatly from band to band, there isn't any real constant. In fact from my knowledge (and after taking courses in music business law), artists get anywhere from 5 to 8 cents per record sold.

This. Underground labels usually will give the artist more per record after they cut their losses.

Trevor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm 

but I presume that 10 cents is added to the few cents the band gets every time their song is played on the radio ? I'm curious about what the breakdown is at the end of the year, % of revenus from albums sales, % from radio plays, % from shows, % from merchandise, etc.
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=18983

Trevor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:47 pm 

are you really telling me that Borknagar only got 10 cents from me when I bought their latest album ?
http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... hp?t=18983

Gothbag
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:47 pm 

Spanish politicians are evil jerks but not evil enough to have music downloading banned.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:50 pm 

Trevor wrote:
but I presume that 10 cents is added to the few cents the band gets every time their song is played on the radio ? I'm curious about what the breakdown is at the end of the year, % of revenus from albums sales, % from radio plays, % from shows, % from merchandise, etc.

Ah, the royalties gained from public performance are different from mechanical royalties, which are purely album sales. Yeah you do get more from performance as well, but those are given out by your Performing Rights Organization, such as ASCAP or BMI.

Strange Death Metal

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:07 pm 

Just came across this:

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid= ... 2&from=rss

Quote:
"A federal judge in Connecticut has rejected the RIAA's 'making available' theory, which is the basis of all of the RIAA's peer to peer file sharing cases. In Atlantic v. Brennan, in a 9-page opinion [PDF], Judge Janet Bond Arterton held that the RIAA needs to prove 'actual distribution of copies', and cannot rely — as it was permitted to do in Capitol v. Thomas — upon the mere fact that there are song files on the defendant's computer and that they were 'available'. This is the same issue that has been the subject of extensive briefing in two contested cases in New York, Elektra v. Barker and Warner v. Cassin. Judge Arterton also held that the defendant had other possible defenses, such as the unconstitutionality of the RIAA's damages theory and possible copyright misuse flowing from the record companies' anticompetitive behavior."

Strange Death Metal

exulceration
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:47 pm 

Regarding blogs, (don't know if this has been posted before), but I've seen mentions of downloading from blogs...eyeball records did try (and I say "try" because I haven't followed the story past the blog shutting down temporarily) over sharing whole albums from their label...

indiehq.com/2007/04/19/eyeball-records-brings-down-music-blogpirating-site-kinixtion/

I apologize if this adds nothing to the conversation or is of no importance. I just remember reading about it months back. :)

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:47 pm 

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02272008/bu ... _99428.htm

Dunno who's seen that, but basically, the artists were promised money from the lawsuit settlements with Napster, Kazaa, etc., but haven't received their money.

idioteque04
Doesn't know how right he is. ^

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:06 pm 

SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
How the fuck will I be able to get my metal?

you will have to buy cds

RaggedDruid
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:11 pm 

idioteque04 wrote:
SigurdOrSiegfried wrote:
How the fuck will I be able to get my metal?

you will have to buy cds

Well, no SHIT, Sherlock Holmes. But a lot of metal isn't distributed in the US, and if you import it you're basically going to be bleeding money out of your ass for the next month. Assuming you're a college student.

pinksalt13
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:03 am 

I don't think downloading music is completelty 'right'...but I'm just too poor to afford all the music I want lol.

As soon as I get a high paying job...or a rich husband, I'll buy everything I listen to.

HIDE_TEH_LUNIX
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:08 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Ok guys - lets see this through on our part.

Are we still in this shit, even though those who download do it from mostly non-major labels and mostly non-major artists? For instance, I primarily get songs from artists that are from minor labels in other European countries - would this really affect these ass hole companies?

One more thing, which Western European country has the least strictest rules on piracy?
Possibly Holland, court ruled here that downloading is never illegal because Dutch laws state that the one offering a product must take care of legal business like pay taxes and such and the consumer only has to take it. Seems only logical that they make such a decision. Downloading is perfectly legal, uploading is not.

And as a mathematician, I am against patents and copyrights in general, that you can own the right to a piece of information completely displeases me as a mathematician. And it is in fact why I loathe chemistry as a science. Because it is the norm they patent their scientific research, how is that a scientific mentality?

cinedracusio
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:20 am 

I wonder what would the copyright infringement penalty be for downloading some Vermyapre Kommando, Necro Paris Catacombes, or any album long gone out of print for virtually ignored acts, for that matter? Sharing communities are communities that represent cultural expansion. Downloading DJ Tiesto, house compilations, the latest 50 Cent album, drum'n'bass and such shit (well, there are lots of metal bands that suck but aren't promoted), should not question only the person's budget, but also the person's sanity. Especially on Soulseek. Hope these buttplugs don't stumble upon this treasure of a program.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7