Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:46 pm 

DanFuckingLucas wrote:
0kill wrote:
Please don't credit my words to droneriot, DanLucas. :lol:

I apologise, I deleted the wrong part of the quote. I was only quoting him anyway to raise that I'd heard he'd been banned - though it might just have been from the IRC.

Yeah, that's it. I freaked out a bit when Morrigan seriously compared rational doubt in the official 9/11 theory to believing in creationism, and probably overreacted... But seriously, can you blame me? Is that fucking far-fetched or what?

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:14 pm 

droneriot wrote:
Yeah, that's it. I freaked out a bit when Morrigan seriously compared rational doubt in the official 9/11 theory to believing in creationism, and probably overreacted... But seriously, can you blame me? Is that fucking far-fetched or what?

Wow, that's like, totally not what happened! :lol: And by the way, so far there hasn't been any rational doubt in the official 9/11 theory - all the "alternative" theories do not remotely hold up under scrutiny. Yet their staunch adherents cling to them with the same religious fervour as creationists/IDers (similarly with the Holocaust deniers/revisionists), so yeah, it's not far-fetched at all.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:17 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Wow, that's like, totally not what happened! :lol: And by the way, so far there hasn't been any rational doubt in the official 9/11 theory - all the "alternative" theories do not remotely hold up under scrutiny. Yet their staunch adherents cling to them with the same religious fervour as creationists/IDers (similarly with the Holocaust deniers/revisionists), so yeah, it's not far-fetched at all.

I never mentioned any alternative theory. No idea where you pulled that one from.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 pm 

droneriot wrote:
I never mentioned any alternative theory. No idea where you pulled that one from.

You didn't have to, the 9/11 "truthers" all have their pet theories. Those that don't and simply "doubt", well, don't matter anyway because they were not what I was talking about. Besides, it's pretty meaningless to simply doubt something and just stop there.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:39 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
droneriot wrote:

You didn't have to, the 9/11 "truthers" all have their pet theories. Those that don't and simply "doubt", well, don't matter anyway because they were not what I was talking about. Besides, it's pretty meaningless to simply doubt something and just stop there.

How is it meaningless? I think that is exactly the problem of said "alternative theories", because people desperately think they need to come up with an alternate theory just because the official one doesn't make sense to them. Personally, as someone once said, I believe in the axiom "If the emperor has no clothes on, then the emperor has no clothes on." Or, as someone else once said, "The lack of a better explanation does not make your assumption true." I don't believe doubt requires a "better explanation", I think it can be more than perfectly valid on its own.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:37 am 

I would say it depends. You are right that if you don't have a better explanation, you shouldn't hack your way into finding one. Fair enough.

However, my comparison to IDers and creationists was specifically against people who believe in alternative theories - which, so far, are all wacky. Perhaps there are people out there who simply have found credible holes in the official story without attempting to provide alternative answers, but I have yet to encounter a single one of them who asked halfway decent questions that haven't already been answered.

In regards to this case, though, what I mean by "it's meaningless" is that if you simply doubt the paradigm without a solid reason, you are doubting for the sake of doubting, which is useless and even counter-productive. And if you do have a good reason, i.e. you (impersonal you here) have found severe holes in the official story that cannot be explained by any rational mean, then if you do take it to its logical conclusion you will inevitably come up with an alternative theory. For example: if you somehow found strong evidence that there were explosives in the tower, then it follows that others with higher access to the evidence than you have found this specific evidence, too, but have chosen to tell another version of the story instead. What's the logical conclusion to that? That the officials are all thoroughly incompetent (and you, the random guy on the internet, is better than them), or that they all lied. Maybe they had a good reason to, and you won't jump to "it's an inside job!!" theory, but you still adhere to the "they lied/covered it up/etc" theory.

I'm a bit tired from kendo so I hope that makes sense. Anyway, to summarize, I agree that doubt itself is valid on its own... so long as there is evidence to back it up, and I have yet to see a single such case, much like I have yet to ever see an intellectually honest creationist. In this, my comparison stands. :)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:52 am 

Morrigan wrote:
I would say it depends. You are right that if you don't have a better explanation, you shouldn't hack your way into finding one. Fair enough.

That was my point. Just because there are holes in the official story it doesn't mean that the 9/11 was a conspiracy by the Illuminati aided by the cigarette smoking man from X-Files and his extraterrestrial allies. People who jump to conclusions from doubts in the official story are indeed nuts, I fully agree with you there.

Quote:
However, my comparison to IDers and creationists was specifically against people who believe in alternative theories - which, so far, are all wacky. Perhaps there are people out there who simply have found credible holes in the official story without attempting to provide alternative answers, but I have yet to encounter a single one of them who asked halfway decent questions that haven't already been answered.

In regards to this case, though, what I mean by "it's meaningless" is that if you simply doubt the paradigm without a solid reason, you are doubting for the sake of doubting, which is useless and even counter-productive. And if you do have a good reason, i.e. you (impersonal you here) have found severe holes in the official story that cannot be explained by any rational mean, then if you do take it to its logical conclusion you will inevitably come up with an alternative theory. For example: if you somehow found strong evidence that there were explosives in the tower, then it follows that others with higher access to the evidence than you have found this specific evidence, too, but have chosen to tell another version of the story instead. What's the logical conclusion to that? That the officials are all thoroughly incompetent (and you, the random guy on the internet, is better than them), or that they all lied. Maybe they had a good reason to, and you won't jump to "it's an inside job!!" theory, but you still adhere to the "they lied/covered it up/etc" theory.

I'm a bit tired from kendo so I hope that makes sense. Anyway, to summarize, I agree that doubt itself is valid on its own... so long as there is evidence to back it up, and I have yet to see a single such case, much like I have yet to ever see an intellectually honest creationist. In this, my comparison stands. :)

The thing is just that there are absolutely physical impossibilities in the official stories, most prominently that a building with a steel structure cannot collapse in freefall without said steel structure being previously exploded, pretty much the only part of that retarded Loose Change documentary I could agree with, too, because it is based on a well-known scientific fact. Still that doesn't mean that George W. Bush personally planted explosives in the building or any tinfoil-hattery of the sort.

Here's a theory that is obviously not true, but would, on a theoretical level work with the basics of the original official story work out: How about that in the WTC buildings, there were really outdated fire extinguishers that caused really strong explosions when subjected to heat, collapsing the steel structures? Yep, I know it's something I just made up, but it doesn't suggest any conspiracy, and it actually would give a reasonable explanation to something that would otherwise be physically impossible to happen.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:09 am 

droneriot wrote:
Here's a theory that is obviously not true, but would, on a theoretical level work with the basics of the original official story work out: How about that in the WTC buildings, there were really outdated fire extinguishers that caused really strong explosions when subjected to heat, collapsing the steel structures? Yep, I know it's something I just made up, but it doesn't suggest any conspiracy, and it actually would give a reasonable explanation to something that would otherwise be physically impossible to happen.

They would have to be some really, really big fire extinguishers. Or explosions.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:15 am 

caspian wrote:
droneriot wrote:

They would have to be some really, really big fire extinguishers. Or explosions.

Ah, but you know Americans are a bit more light-hearted in what chemicals they put into products they sell. ;) For example, not sure if it was true or just a rumour though, I think one time I've heard that the original American version of Red Bull is illegal in almost every other country in the world because it is considered too hazardous in everywhere else, but in the United States the original version is still sold legally. But as I said, not sure if that isn't just an urban myth. Still, the United States have a reputation for having a little less concern for safety for the sake of economic efficiency, so who knows what their old fire extinguishers were filled with, hehe.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:19 am 

droneriot wrote:
caspian wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Ah, but you know Americans are a bit more light-hearted in what chemicals they put into products they sell. ;) For example, not sure if it was true or just a rumour though, I think one time I've heard that the original American version of Red Bull is illegal in almost every other country in the world because it is considered too hazardous in everywhere else, but in the United States the original version is still sold legally. But as I said, not sure if that isn't just an urban myth. Still, the United States have a reputation for having a little less concern for safety for the sake of economic efficiency, so who knows what their old fire extinguishers were filled with, hehe.

Heh, I still find that unlikely but perhaps it's not entirely impossible. Here, we get dudes from the companies who come round every 3-6 months and replace the extinguishers with new ones (government regulation and whatnot), which is why I find the idea a bit strange.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:24 am 

caspian wrote:
droneriot wrote:
caspian wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Heh, I still find that unlikely but perhaps it's not entirely impossible. Here, we get dudes from the companies who come round every 3-6 months and replace the extinguishers with new ones (government regulation and whatnot), which is why I find the idea a bit strange.

As far as I've heard, Americans aren't the biggest on security regulations. So they might still have their semi-explosive fire extinguishers after fifteen years or so.

caspian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:30 am 

I NOW DECLARE THIS THREAD TO BE ABOUT FIRE EXTINGUISHER SAFETY

Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:30 am 

droneriot wrote:

I think you mean China.

paskogen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:42 am 

According to what I may or may not have heard about your country, it's possible there are urban legends regarding alleged happenings that are conceivably substantiated by other possibilities. Maybe. How can you disagree?

Manowar is fucking your chick regardless of the condoms.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:47 am 

Morrigan wrote:
droneriot wrote:

Wow, that's like, totally not what happened! :lol:

I actually have a log of the conversation that got him banned, which I can post/PM if relevant parties are interested. I won't publicize it without Morrigan's say-so, however. Also, the computer it's on is currently defunct until I get new memory, but it should arrive tomorrow.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:56 am 

droneriot wrote:
The thing is just that there are absolutely physical impossibilities in the official stories, most prominently that a building with a steel structure cannot collapse in freefall without said steel structure being previously exploded, pretty much the only part of that retarded Loose Change documentary I could agree with, too, because it is based on a well-known scientific fact.

:durr:

http://www.911myths.com/html/freefall.html
http://www.debunking911.com/freefall.htm
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=76763

By the way, your silly theory about fire extinguishers IS an alternative theory. So much for stopping at the doubt...

Deaths_Design
Anti-Christian Miscreant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:06 am 

I hate this thread.

I hate it so bad.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:18 am 

droneriot wrote:
Morrigan wrote:
droneriot wrote:

How is it meaningless? I think that is exactly the problem of said "alternative theories", because people desperately think they need to come up with an alternate theory just because the official one doesn't make sense to them. Personally, as someone once said, I believe in the axiom "If the emperor has no clothes on, then the emperor has no clothes on." Or, as someone else once said, "The lack of a better explanation does not make your assumption true." I don't believe doubt requires a "better explanation", I think it can be more than perfectly valid on its own.

Hah, well, I didn't see the discussion in question, but this topic has been up for debate a lot recently among some people I know. I've just read Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" twice and I'm not in the mood to accept any theory at face value, and humans are masters of the argument that appears logical but in fact takes you nowhere, so I definitely agree with this sentiment.

Doubt is beautiful.

Thorgrim_Honkronte
Imperius Rexxz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:28 am 

Umberto Eco rules, and that's a good book. I LOVE The Name of the Rose.

Strange Death Metal

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:34 am 

Thorgrim_Honkronte wrote:
Umberto Eco rules, and that's a good book. I LOVE The Name of the Rose.

I've got that one, but haven't read it yet. I definitely plan to crack it this year. He is a hellishly great writer.

NeglectedField
Onwards to Camulodunum!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:48 am 

droneriot wrote:
For example, not sure if it was true or just a rumour though, I think one time I've heard that the original American version of Red Bull is illegal in almost every other country in the world because it is considered too hazardous in everywhere else, but in the United States the original version is still sold legally

One rumour I hear is that the current legal version has extracts from bulls' testicles or semen. Would take a whole lotta bulls if you ask me.

LSD_25
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:02 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
droneriot wrote:
The thing is just that there are absolutely physical impossibilities in the official stories, most prominently that a building with a steel structure cannot collapse in freefall without said steel structure being previously exploded, pretty much the only part of that retarded Loose Change documentary I could agree with, too, because it is based on a well-known scientific fact.

:durr:

http://www.911myths.com/html/freefall.html
http://www.debunking911.com/freefall.htm
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=76763

By the way, your silly theory about fire extinguishers IS an alternative theory. So much for stopping at the doubt...

My favorite theory was the Occam's Razor violating mass system of supremely complicated high-heat explosives demolishing collumns while sufficiently heating an equally complex system of Thermite to cut into underlying support structures. But that still doesn't compare to the theory that whats-her-name gave which said that the government planted molten metal on the site to hide the use of an outer-space lazer to take the towers down. Or the theory that the plane's didn't exist and David Copperfield helped the government with mirrors to make the public believe there were planes.

Hydrogen_Cloud
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:13 am 

Do you guys love Puissance? Because I love Puissance.

http://puissance.info/nine.html

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 am 

I didn't read the links posted by Morrigan, but I can assure you that a steel structure can collapse after an impact that tears away the fire insulations and a few tons of kerosene and a few tens of tons of other stuff burning around it. Once a steel beam reaches something like 600...650 degrees Celsius, it's structurally on the level of spaghetti.

Also, the lower floors will collapse once the top falls, simply because the potential energy of a 20-story block of WTC 300 meters above ground is enormous. I can't see anything wrong with the official explanation.

Protecting the beams and pillars from fire is a major item on the list of costly things in steel-frame buildings.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am 

Yea, the girders don't actually have to liquefy to collapse. I'm not even an engineer, and I know that! Haven't any of these nubs stuck a metal spoon in the fire and seen how easy it is to bend when it's red-hot? It's so silly when these college kids with (supposedly) brains in their heads say that "jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel" as if that were something significant. I guess they just lack common sense.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:37 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Yea, the girders don't actually have to liquefy to collapse. I'm not even an engineer, and I know that! Haven't any of these nubs stuck a metal spoon in the fire and seen how easy it is to bend when it's red-hot? It's so silly when these college kids with (supposedly) brains in their heads say that "jet fuel doesn't burn hot enough to melt steel" as if that were something significant. I guess they just lack common sense.

I guess a building structure is not made of the same steel a spoon is, there are different alloys that are heat resistent (or a least more risistent than a spoon)
Not hearsay but the will of man

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:40 am 

Well obviously, but the same principle still applies. When heated up, metal gets more pliable before it actually melts.

spaced
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 am 

Put on your tinfoil hats everyone! The government are sending the secret space aliens to plant mind control drugs in our food to turn us into sniper zombies so we can kill Vladimir Putin!

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:34 am 

Hydrogen_Cloud wrote:
Do you guys love Puissance? Because I love Puissance.

http://puissance.info/nine.html

Wow, I kind of want to sell all my Puissance CDs now. I knew they were bleeding heart leftist idiots (and huh they support Ron Paul now? WTF? :lol:, but that takes the cake. Oh well, they still make decent music.

~Guest 126069
Skanky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:20 pm 

NeglectedField wrote:
droneriot wrote:
For example, not sure if it was true or just a rumour though, I think one time I've heard that the original American version of Red Bull is illegal in almost every other country in the world because it is considered too hazardous in everywhere else, but in the United States the original version is still sold legally

One rumour I hear is that the current legal version has extracts from bulls' testicles or semen. Would take a whole lotta bulls if you ask me.

Every version of Red Bull has been made up entirely of Chuck Norris's urine.

dmerritt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:23 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
...it's pretty meaningless to simply doubt something and just stop there.

Completely agreed. If 9-11 was a conspiracy...so what? What's the ultimate significance? The fact that our government has been hijacked by criminals? When was this not the case?

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.