Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
falchenr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:05 pm 

I tried to submit Nocturno Culto as a band, and simultaneously tried to add the 'The Misanthrope' release, but both were rejected by the mods. I was asked by Hellblazer to post this in the forum (please bear with me if this subject has been posted before. I couldn't find it and as this is my first posting in the forum, well...).

Anyway, I'd like to make a couple of arguments for the inclusion of this Darkthrone side-project and the release. Admittedly, this is not a (black) metal project (as I submitted it as), but I do believe it has relevance in that context.

1) Although the DVD itself is mainly a documentary, the DVD does feature Darkthrone material (as well as Aura Noir), even a few Darkthrone videos (two live ones from the death metal period and one promo from the new album).

2) Even though the DVD might not be metal enough (i.e., does not mainly contain metal material), one should consider adding it to the database on the strength of the bonus CD that comes with it. Again, the CD is not metal, but consists of ambient material supplementing the DVD. Main point, however: Why shouldn't this material be warranted for inclusion just as much as, say, Wongraven's 'Fjelltronen' Satyricon side-project?

Allright, please let me know what you think!

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:14 pm 

1) How is Darkthrone material relevant? You want to add it under Nocturno Culto tag and the artist must have their own, separate material under the new name. This argument has to be dismissed from the start.

2) Now, the cd could be viewed as side project and can be discussed further as such, but is there need for another non-metal side projects? You black metal fans are particularly uncritical and are constantly submitting everything related to your beloved artists. Think about it.

3) Dark ambient is not musically related to metal, not at all, and the constant submissions of such projects are principially wrong. It is a subgenre of electronic music. I know, the side project rule, but in my opinion and in opinion of further mods, it should be even more radically modified.

I would personally vote for addition to the Darkthrone discography, since the dvd contains full Darkthrone videos.

falchenr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:25 pm 

Agreed, I should've structured my argument better. However, I'm not necessarily arguing that this release must be submitted under the Nocturno Culto band tag. I actually quite like your suggestion of adding it to the Darkthrone discography instead.

I also agree that the CD with its ambient music isn't related to metal music, at least not directly. But there is no denying that this form of music (or at least some of it) has a strog contextual link to the black metal scene. And I am of course not arguing that ambient music per se should be added to a metal database. I'm simply pointing out that as long as there is room for releases like Wongraven, it is hard to see why Nocturno Culto's release shouldn't count.

On the whole, though, I believe we are in agreement. Thanks for replying!

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:09 pm 

I don't think it should be added to the Darkthrone page, after all, it was released in another artist's name.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:25 pm 

The label for this is Peaceville, correct? If so, then it satisfies both precedent and the current iteration of the side-project rule.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:38 am 

Yes, the thread starter can resubmit, but he should link to this thread and not submit it as black metal.

Another absolutely non-metal project here...:roll:

So that everybody knows what we are talking about:
http://www.metalunderground.com/news/de ... wsid=25288

http://www.peaceville.com/themisanthrope/

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:33 am 

film ? :|
IMO this should be in "Additional notes" on Darkthrone page :]

Malfunction
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 4:51 am 

Piotr_Bojka wrote:

+1

A separate "band" entry is absolutely useless.

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:00 am 

Malfunction wrote:
Piotr_Bojka wrote:

+1

A separate "band" entry is absolutely useless.

I am glad someone sees it similar way. That is where I was coming from.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:56 am 

Metal-archives no need for non-metal bands side project rule is totaly bullshit all the side projects can be mentioned in the additional notes but since MA is fullfilled with non-metal side projects i don;t see why this one is not accepted yet, remove all or accept all (those who are on a worldwide distribution not bedroom side projects).

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:05 am 

maybe we add Credle of Fear then ? :P

Witcher
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:39 am 

GraveWish wrote:
Metal-archives no need for non-metal bands side project rule is totaly bullshit all the side projects can be mentioned in the additional notes but since MA is fullfilled with non-metal side projects i don;t see why this one is not accepted yet, remove all or accept all (those who are on a worldwide distribution not bedroom side projects).

I would be for the total exclusion, or, which would be more widely acceptable, to limit the side projects only to few bands chosen by the owners and moderators, similar rule exists also now.

I for example do not understand, why Liv Kristine (Leaves Eyes) solo work was deleted only days after I have accepted it - clear case of side project-she is still in metal band.

Here you can see, how much problems it brings.

GraveWish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:02 am 

I would be for the total exclusion too, beside with this rules now i don't see why Liv Kristine was deleted too or not add DyNAbyte, the rule should be more clear.

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 am 

GraveWish wrote:
the rule should be more clear.

+ 1

TheGrimWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:22 pm 

I've almost been using MA for a year now (I know that isn't very long compared to a large number of you)...and that side-project rule has always confused the bloody hell out of me...

I agree that it needs to be clearer.

Reply to topic