Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:19 am 

Just wondering, but what would happen if a band threatened to take legal action agaisnt this site unless they took their band down? (for breaches of copyright or whatever)

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:24 am 

Ignore this

If a band does not want to appear on the internet then they should not make an official page/myspace or not release a demo/album and just stay rehearsing in their garage with their pathetic dreams of becoming rockstars one day

Did you get "threats" about legal issues? if yes you can forward me the email :) ill laugh at it and then answer :)

well of course if people want their real names (or family names) removed, no problem we can do that

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am 

I never understand why people whine about "copyrights": theys hould be pleased to appear here (especially if they are an obscure band) and ONCE FOR ALL understand that the site does not make money with their name: WE ARE JUST AN INFORMATION SITE... not selling their discs or others

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:29 am 

If you want a good laugh about threats & legal issues, read this thread from january :D

CK's adventures ;)

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/vie ... 86&start=0

Malfunction
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 am 

There's no doubt that all discog info etc is free information. What about lyrics of copyrighted bands? Do you need permission to reprint them in a non-profit way or not? Underground/myspace acts are no matter of discussion anyway.

RegularK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:34 pm 

There are some lyrics up for Gorgoroth (although they seem to be written by a monkey and have random(?) words), their legal team has managed to remove about 99% of all of their lyrics from the internet but not yet from Metal-Archives?

Only 4 tracks off of Incipit Satan, could those songs be exceptions to Gorgoroths "don't print lyrics" idea?

I believe legally they could force Metal-Archives to remove lyrics for copyright infringement, but I'm not an eLawyer. Have to take into consideration where the MA servers are located since that may prove to deter legal actions.

What fucking band could possibly not want to be on MA?

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:37 pm 

RegularK wrote:
There are some lyrics up for Gorgoroth (although they seem to be written by a monkey and have random(?) words), their legal team has managed to remove about 99% of all of their lyrics from the internet but not yet from Metal-Archives?

Only 4 tracks off of Incipit Satan, could those songs be exceptions to Gorgoroths "don't print lyrics" idea?

I believe legally they could force Metal-Archives to remove lyrics for copyright infringement, but I'm not an eLawyer. Have to take into consideration where the MA servers are located since that may prove to deter legal actions.

Considering there are no Countess lyrics on Metal Archives, I think asking respectfully and politely would work better than threatening with legal action.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:11 pm 

Gorgoroth are morons :rolleyes:

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:12 pm 

As far as we are concerned, there is no way to sue MA based on our unwillingness to remove a band or lyrics, but as Droneriot pointed out, if the band asks us in a polite way, we can remove the lyrics.

Gorgoroth can't sue us. How are they going to do that? "You're going to jail because you decided to transcribe and publish one of our song's lyrics". :lol:

RegularK wrote:

A few. :rolleyes:

Str8Hate
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:45 am 

christkiller wrote:

Careful now ... lest you be kidnapped and tortured and be sacrificed under Satanic rites.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:47 am 

Str8Hate wrote:
christkiller wrote:

Careful now ... lest you be kidnapped and tortured and be sacrificed under Satanic rites.

bouhhhhhhhh I'm so afraid that I peed in my pants :lol:

*shudders* :D

WilliamAcerfeltd
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:03 am 

christkiller wrote:
Did you get "threats" about legal issues? if yes you can forward me the email :) ill laugh at it and then answer :)

well of course if people want their real names (or family names) removed, no problem we can do that

No, I was just wondering.

Agathocles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:28 am 

There is no problem with it. The amount of money you would need to raise in order to have a lawsuit, is really not worth it. At best, if a serious band like Gorgoroth were to want something, it might be considered and an agreement would be met, but it's really not something we have to worry about, since the majority of our information exists somewhere else as well, one way or another. The age of anonymity is for the most part, over.

Shadoeking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:44 am 

Do you have a list of bands that don't want to be on this site? I would be interested to know that.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:53 am 

Shadoeking wrote:
Do you have a list of bands that don't want to be on this site? I would be interested to know that.

hummm no list but some Black Metal bands (not very known), some bands that are not "proud" of what they did or don't wanna be remembered

At some point apparently Akhenaten from JUDAS ISCARIOT wanted his band t be deleted as was trying to have his name removed from the whole internet

PiotrB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:27 pm 

I also know about some peoples who don't want to be here :P
I don't understand them, why they released something and now they don't wanna be remembered

Agathocles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:17 pm 

Piotr_Bojka wrote:
I also know about some peoples who don't want to be here :P
I don't understand them, why they released something and now they don't wanna be remembered

Yes, you would think so. If you want to be anonymous, just don't try and do anything. But if you try to have some sort of impact upon the world, whether it be through music or whatever else, then generally speaking, the world will in some way take notice of you.

The case with Akhenaten, was interesting, and just simply impossible really, and he just eventually gave up, though I remember seeing the majority of interviews of his disappearing, etc. But the whole sense of urgency to erase yourself from history seems pointless to me, since for the most part, it is inevitable anyway. It's an incorrect understanding of ego, and the assumption that others are going to be very interested in your life and what you do. In 10 years from now, the only black metal bands that will really be remembered by most are going to be the main ones, and that's it. For him he at least has some sort of an influence on black metal, for everyone else that has been trying to do it, the required parameter of being relevant and having an influence on metal is not even there. There's no need to get paranoid over having your information on the internet, you're not that special. Go ahead and get a myspace, go ahead and submit your shitty demo, because in 10 years nobody but your mother will really care, and nobody really cares right now.

vryce13235
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:08 pm 

To my knowledge, as long as the MA is not supporting libel there is nothing illegal about the band pages. The reviews are just free speak. The lyrics may be an issue, but I agree few parties will take the time to contest that.

Reply to topic