Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:04 pm 

Band name: Concrete Sox
Genres: Hardcore punk/thrashcore (early), Crossover thrash (later)
Existed: early 1980's-early 1990's

I have two albums by this band and I believe they were time and time again trying to be submitted into the Archives by users but got rejected. I tried submitting them once and they got rejected but I have proof of them being metal.

Their earlier stuff is hardcore punk with a lot of thrash metal influences but their later material (a release called Sewerside) is definitely metal sounding style and technique-wise with it's Suicidal Tendences style riffs and crusty vocal styles. That album sounds too much like "Crossover" by DRI.

Their's a myspace page up for them created by a fan but I wouldn't suggest checking that page out to validate they're metal (it has only their hardcore stuff up) so if any mod is interested, I can upload an album by them showing their metal stuff and let me know if I can submit them into the archives.

Comments?

My eBay page which usually has rare OOP metal shirts and CD's: Click Here

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:29 pm 

please do upload it.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:17 pm 

Alright, I will do that later and you can be the judge to that.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:10 pm 

Okay, here's their 1989 release called "Sewerside" which sounds a lot like Attitude Adjustment, Excel, The Exploited, D.R.I., The Accused and other style hardcore bands who had a crossover edge, all whome are in the Archives anyway.

The whole album is pretty much hardcore with thrash metal. Most of the songs feature thrash metal style riffs while some have hardcore riffs. "At Tea With Satan" is actually suppose to be a parody of Venom's "At War With Satan" I believe. Meh that's trivial nonsense which is not important now to mention but whatever. Check it out and judge if it's metal enough to be considered crossover. IMO, this is crossover thrash.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7IP5U1EB

Corimngul
Freddled Gruntbuggly

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:16 am 

They are both metal and good enough for me. Both crossover or crossover thrash are suitable genre descriptions.

I just noted that Impulse Manslaughter are listed as thrash, and thrash only. Really Sewerside more metal than IM ever was, and while I don't agree with people who deem IM entirely hardcore, calling them anything more metal than crossover is a lie.
Because I hate ID 100369. Numbers 19, 29, 39, 49, 59 are incomplete and I hate it!

MMisantropo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:07 pm 

Listening to it right now... so far my impression is that they were still a punk band with the occasional metal influences, nothing more than that. I've heard GBH and Agnostic Front albums that are far more metal, and neither band is in the archives. The vocals, guitar tone and overall aesthetics are still 100% punk.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:47 pm 

The same may be said for bands in the Archives like The Accused, Verbal Abuse, Excel and especially The Exploited, all whome personally I'm surprised are in the archives. Concrete Sox sounds very similar and play in a style like the above mentioned bands.

Concrete Sox have always been way more metal influenced than Agnostic Front and technical (if that means anything) anyway and while the album has it's hardcore elements, it's still pretty metal with it's thrash riffs and rhythm style playing.

Is there any other MOD who thinks different for this band being submitted into the archives?

MMisantropo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:33 pm 

The Exploited are here because their 2000's post-reunion album is allegedly thrash (never heard it myself).

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:43 am 

I say no.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:43 pm 

UPDATE: Okay, so I uploaded another album which is as many call it "raw crossover thrash" style hardcore punk. Check out the Metal Download Thread for the download of the LP from 1984 "Your Turn Next".

Now if the style of music on that album isn't metal enough to be on the Archives then blow me down and call me a persevering cunt for trying to get a band into the archives. I remember MODS on the archives saying that "an album's heaviness doesn't make a band metal, but it's the technique/style they play which make them metal." That album isn't "heavy sounding" in nature (it is a vinyl rip so it sounds quite muffled if you ask me) but the technique in the guitar is very thrash metal inspired and pretty technical to be just plain "punk" music. Hence why many people who know the band consider them to be an early crossover band.

Just to make yet another comparison, if early hardcore style bands like S.O.B., Excel, The Accused and so on are here, then Concrete Sox deserves some recognition in the Archives because they've always been quite metal at least on their earlier releases before moving more to a more pure crust punk/thrashcore sound on later album.

frigidpony
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:20 pm 

Concrete Sox - definately crossover.

Impulse Manslaughter! I haven't thought of them for a while. Who ever said they weren't entirely hardcore is right on, they had a strange style.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:14 pm 

Thanks but now I'm just waiting to see what a MOD thinks of it.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:56 pm 

http://rapidshare.com/files/19130169/Your_Turn_Next.zip

That is the direct link to a Rapidshare download of the album "Your Turn Next" (1984), Concrete Sox's first album released. All of the tracks definitely have some thrash metal influence in them, or some sort of metal influenced. Crossover in my mind if you ask me.

I'll also be willing to upload a split album they did as well that showcases more of their metal sounding hardcore. They did a split with Heresy released on Earache records and that album has a much more metal-sound to it.

Thanks.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:08 am 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:

That is the direct link to a Rapidshare download of the album "Your Turn Next" (1984), Concrete Sox's first album released. All of the tracks definitely have some thrash metal influence in them, or some sort of metal influenced. Crossover in my mind if you ask me.

I'll also be willing to upload a split album they did as well that showcases more of their metal sounding hardcore. They did a split with Heresy released on Earache records and that album has a much more metal-sound to it.

Thanks.

I've never personally had much of a problem with Concrete Sox. Their moniker kills it for them a lot because of its hardcoreistic goofiness, and some of their songs are much punkier than others i.e. "Sustain the Orgy",
meanwhile stuff like "Intellible Quest", "New Breed", parts of "Civilized" and "Your Turn Next" are just as metal as the crossover bands already here. Adding them wouldn't be the worst thing to do, but I'm just a lone gunman.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:49 am 

Gutterscream wrote:
Funeral_Shadow wrote:

Thanks.

I've never personally had much of a problem with Concrete Sox. Their moniker kills it for them a lot because of its hardcoreistic goofiness, and some of their songs are much punkier than others i.e. "Sustain the Orgy",
meanwhile stuff like "Intellible Quest", "New Breed", parts of "Civilized" and "Your Turn Next" are just as metal as the crossover bands already here. Adding them wouldn't be the worst thing to do, but I'm just a lone gunman.

Agreed; they do fit as candidates for being in the archives.

They certainly do have hardcore leans (they later did become more hardcore oriented) but that first album as well as some later EP's have a real crossover/metal feel to them.

I myself don't see anything wrong with them being here; they are much more metal than other mere crossover bands already in the MA.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:57 pm 

Definitely quite thrashy.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:09 am 

If it even helps, I just found out another release from 1987 that's definitely crossover thrash metal called "Whoops Sorry Vicar!" which is so much in the vein of the Accused, Municipal Waste, D.R.I. and any other related crossover bands. Definitely metal if it helps to upload it if you wish to verify MODS.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:49 pm 

Fuck it, here's the upload to the album "Whoops Sorry Vicar!" CD released 1987 (this is a rerelease version with superb sound and bonus tracks.)

http://rapidshare.de/files/24084110/CSW ... yvicar.rar

Definitely metal once again. If a decision is made, then can a MOD let me know if I can submit them into the Archives? Thanks.

christkiller
Black Metal Elite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:51 pm 

Nightgaunt wrote:
I say no.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:17 pm 

christkiller wrote:
Nightgaunt wrote:
I say no.

Okay, so we have The Exploited here and Discharge who aren't remotely near metal but a band evidently ten times more metal than most typical crossover acts on the Archives now wouldn't be accepted here? It makes no sense.

Listen to "Whoops Sorry Vicar!" and hear how similar it is to most other contemporaries like DRI, Hellbastard, The Accused and others already in the Archives.

Earlier I said to listen to "Sewerside" but I realized that wasn't a great example to use for their crossover stuff because that album leaned more towards a later crust hardcore sound than being metal, but their earlier stuff like "Your Turn Next" and "Whoops Sorry Vicar!" definitely bleeds metal.

Technically speaking, I already have one MOD who said it wouldn't hurt to have them here in the archives, but I'll wait to see what Mmisanthropo says being he wanted to hear another album which I told him I'd upload.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:33 pm 

Discharge isn't here for their early stuff.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:20 pm 

Even then, their later stuff isn't really metal IMO nor is The Exploited's later stuff. Still, Concrete Sox really haul more metal ass than any other crossover band listed on the site.

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:40 am 

Any MOD checked out that album "Whoops Sorry Vicar!"? If that's not metal, then shit, The Accused or Suicidal Tendencies cannot possibly be metal then :-P

Whoops Sorry Vicar! (1987)

This sounds almost too close to thrash metal in the vein of early Exodus, except not as technical with their guitar solos.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:41 pm 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
Any MOD checked out that album "Whoops Sorry Vicar!"? If that's not metal, then shit, The Accused or Suicidal Tendencies cannot possibly be metal then :-P

Whoops Sorry Vicar! (1987)

This sounds almost too close to thrash metal in the vein of early Exodus, except not as technical with their guitar solos.

Sounds downright metal to me. MMisantropo?

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:15 pm 

Mmisanthropo told me to submit them (finally!!!!!!) and I've done that. I left a note on the band submission saying that a mod told me to submit them. There is still a ban on the band submission so I hope no other mod whose reading it will think that I'm trying to bullshit them or something.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:23 pm 

Accepted.

cemeteralgarden
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:29 pm 

Evenfiel wrote:
Accepted.

:headbang: :D

Funeral_Shadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:21 pm 

cemeteralgarden wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:
Accepted.

You can say that again. It's about time they're in the Archives!

If anyone has information on the releases listed in the Additional Notes area, please submit them into the page and add them into the discography.

Sodomatic_Slaughter
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:17 pm 

Funeral_Shadow wrote:
cemeteralgarden wrote:
Evenfiel wrote:
Accepted.

You can say that again. It's about time they're in the Archives!

If anyone has information on the releases listed in the Additional Notes area, please submit them into the page and add them into the discography.

Ufff it tooks a lot of posts and time but finally we got them in the database :metal:

What's with Heresy...;)

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:20 pm 

Never thought I'd agree with Funeral_Shadow. ;)

Cool stuff, glad the mods gave you trouble, because it gave me two good downloads, hehe.

Nightgaunt
I'll Swallow Your Soul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 pm 

Next time, use the proper channels.
The bizarre lattices were all around. Sticks and bits of board nailed together in fantastic array. It should've been ridiculous. Instead it seemed oddly sinister--these inexplicable lattices spread through a wilderness bearing little evidence that man had ever passed through...

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.