Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:13 pm 

Ok, so I logged into my account at a local library once, and forgot to log out. I went to that same library about 3 months later (yesturday), and I was still logged in to my account..

Now, I know it might be a hastle for members, but having your account instantly saved on a computer unless you manually log out can be dangerous for your account. From what I know, I could be instantly logged into my account on my friends computer, and not even know it.

this can cause hacking problems, and get people dursted because of someone elses actions.

just a thought..

thanks

DeathForBlitzkrieg
A Dead Man's Robe

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:07 am 

Yeah, just ask Burzum36. :lol:

On some message boards you can settle the time after which you'll be automatically logged out, but you also can set it that you'll never be logged out. I think that wouldn't a bad idea at all.

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:31 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
Ok, so I logged into my account at a local library once, and forgot to log out. I went to that same library about 3 months later (yesturday), and I was still logged in to my account..

Now, I know it might be a hastle for members, but having your account instantly saved on a computer unless you manually log out can be dangerous for your account. From what I know, I could be instantly logged into my account on my friends computer, and not even know it.

this can cause hacking problems, and get people dursted because of someone elses actions.

just a thought..

thanks

It is your fault. You use the Internet Explorer? Or perhaps another browser in which the deletion of cookies after closure option is not activated.

This idea was implemented years and years ago when the traffic was slow and people did not want to wait that long for the websites to load. So the cookies stayed on the computer in order to limit the traffic to a minimum; only a limited number of cookies had to be renewed in a new session. Nowadays this option - keeping the cookies (session-cookies or the sort) - senseless as the speed of the internetaccess' of the users has increased a lot and those small files are downloaded in a blink of an eye. Now the cookies are a risk because they can contain malware and users tend to delete them after a session. Only the IE (6; I do not know how it is with version 7) has no option that deletes the cookies after the closure of the browser.

Cookies are just a waste of harddisk space.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

Reply to topic