Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
prezuiwf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:55 am 

I searched for Badlands and nothing came up in the master reject/delete list, so I figured I'd plead my case here.

Basically, I'm wondering why Badlands would not be considered for inclusion. They are definitely metal-- while some of the stuff they do is more hard rock than metal, 3/4 of the band was made up of pure metal artists and most of their music easily qualifies as metal, even if it has a blues/southern tinge.

Moreover, Die Happy, an extremely similar band, is already in the archives, meaning there is a clear precedent for including bands that incorporate this general sound. I should make it clear that I own all albums by both of these bands and I would even consider Badlands to be more metal than Die Happy. Sun Red Sun, another very similar band (whose name was even derived from a Badlands song), is also included in the archives.

I tried to submit this band but cancelled it after learning that they were on the reject list. I would be fully prepared to submit it again if I received the go-ahead. Anyone who doubts the metalness of this awesome band is highly encouraged to listen to sings like "High Wire," "Dog," or "Ride The Jack" to become convinced.

prezuiwf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:01 am 

Ah yeah, one more thing...

The site rules state that the following are considered metal:

"Side-projects of metal band members (ex: Pain, Wongraven, Die Verbannten Kinder Eva's)
Note that side-projects will only be eligible if they have at least one release on a label with worldwide distribution (to avoid a flood of bedroom/MySpace bands)."

This band includes Jake E. Lee (ex-Ozzy Osbourne), Ray Gillen (ex-Black Sabbath), Jeff Martin (ex-Racer X) and formerly Eric Singer (ex-Sabbath, KISS). Also, they were on Atlantic, which I'd say qualifies as major worldwide distribution.

MMisantropo
Magnificient Degluter of Yummy Ants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:14 am 

It does not fit in the side-project definition. Don't know about it being metal, though; I'm not familiar with their music.

Evenfiel
Heavy Metal Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:39 pm 

prezuiwf wrote:
I tried to submit this band but cancelled it after learning that they were on the reject list. I would be fully prepared to submit it again if I received the go-ahead. Anyone who doubts the metalness of this awesome band is highly encouraged to listen to sings like "High Wire," "Dog," or "Ride The Jack" to become convinced.

When you ask if a band can be accepted, post the songs for download instead of waiting someone to listen to them. Even better - post an album for download. For borderline bands we judge by album.

Btw, there is a thread designed for such requests.

Stormrider
The Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:39 pm 

Well since i'm a mod who actually owns the albums i'd say it's kinda critical to include them. The do have a heavy edge, but to my opinion they are more heavy edged bluesy hard rock than real heavy metal. Judging from the music point of view we'd have to accept bands like Whitesnake, Blue Murder or Mr. Big too if we'd include Badlands since both bands have material that offers a similar heavyness to their material.

i'm not sure if the side project rule will be enough to include them, but if so we'd also have to konsider some more bands of the same mold.

So i'd say nay to this inclusion, not because i don't like the band, more because of the "consequences"

http://www.musik-sammler.de/sammlung/stormrider
http://connect.collectorz.com/users/stormrider/music
https://www.facebook.com/EdenLiesObscured

prezuiwf
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 pm 

Stormrider-- I recognize your concerns, but a couple things:

1. I don't necessarily think Badlands can unequivocally be grouped in with those bands. Sure some of their stuff, particularly on their first album, may sound somewhat like those bands, but on Voodoo Highway and Dusk there is a lot of balls-out, heavy stuff that is far more metal than either of those bands. As I said, as someone who has heard their stuff, can you honestly say that "Dog" or "Ride The Jack" are not metal?

2. Even if you felt you'd have to include bands like Whitesnake and Blue Murder... would that really be so bad? To be honest, I was shocked that they weren't on the site in the first place. Their sound might not be balls-to-the-wall thrash, but you'd be hard-pressed to find people who really don't consider them to be metal at all. Plus, if anything, Whitesnake should probably be in based on the "importance" standard like Deep Purple and Rainbow (they basically single-handedly kept blues rock alive up through the mid-80's and, during their "hair" period, they were one of the most important acts around). I understand that the consequences might exist, but I'm not sure how bad those consequences really are.

Also, in response to Evenfiel, I'm sorry for using a new thread instead of the other one, and I'm sorry for not posting the songs. I'm a n00b, I admit it. I'll do it right next time.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:32 am 

prezuiwf wrote:
(Whitesnake) (they basically single-handedly kept blues rock alive up through the mid-80's and, during their "hair" period, they were one of the most important acts around).

The MA aren't all that interested in blues rock unless it has historical significance. Whitesnake were one of many on a long line of blues rock bands from the 70s that decided not to change all that much into the 80s. They didn't start blues rock, and the influence they had on early HM groups is very minimal.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Reply to topic