Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
concertmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:35 am 

Well, I have added the above two reviews to the official queue, and have written a not quite so glowing review for Axenstar's first full-length CD as well. Let the powers that be decide if any of this is worthwhile!

imperialgoat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 pm 

Is this review worhtwhile?

Here we have Ninnghizhidda's first album, and while not great,it is still a worthly album. It certainly isn't the most original thing in the world, but solidly done.

First off, the good points of the album. The production of this album is very good, especially for this style. You can hear everything clearly, but it isn't overpolished rock star shit. It also keeps everything in it's place, allowing the instruments to work with each other instead of competing with other. It has a nice heavy tone throughout, not skull crunching heavy, but not trebly or whiney either. Also the vocals are pretty good, going between a Black Metal style rasp and Death Metal growls, usually in the same song. There are also some female vocals present, tastefully done and adding to the album and not detracting from the overall experience. The instruments pretty much stay with each other, not going off on their own. This allows the musicians to show their skills without engaging in musical masturbation. One highlight worth mentioning is the acoustic guitars, which add a nice touch, when used.

Now the bad points of the album. As I mentioned in the opening, it wasn't the most original sounding album to these ears. I don't know if Ninnghizhidda was trying for this or not, but it sounds a lot like Morbid Angel with keys to me. I'm not saying the band stole riffs from Morbid Angel, just similar sounding. The first time I heard this band, I thought it was some long lost Morbid Angel track from Domination. In fact, the Death Metal growls sound similar to David Vincent. Another thing was the keyboards. Do we really need them in every single track? Now, I like keyboards, but only when they add something to the song. The keys in this album seem randomly thrown in at times, like the band said "Hey, we don't have any keys in this song, we can't do that!"I'm not saying they are all crap, they just appear randomly and without point sometimes.

Overall, I would say this album is a solid, but not spectacular release. Recommended to fans of Dominate era Morbid Angel and fans of keyboard laden Black Metal.

Minotaur
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:10 pm 

I'd say it's pretty good written but not anywhere close to a truly good review. I still think it would be accepted by most moderators, anyway, you have nothing to worry about.

imperialgoat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:03 pm 

Thanks for the advice. After reading what you said, I submitted it and it was approved. Also, not to sound like a dick, but I really didn't think it was outstanding or the greatest thing ever. That was the first review I've ever written, I was just hoping it wasn't a shitstorm that everyone would be dumber for having read.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:41 pm 

Damned Evenfiel, locked the topic while I was replying. *shakesfist*

Just in case the original poster makes it to this topic, here's the reply I wrote in response to his/her last post:

Myself wrote:
Kittay wrote:
As for there not being enough about the music, there is enough. More than enough if you ask me.

"The drummer is the best in the world, the band plays brutal Death Metal, 'Phobophile' is the most melodic song, something about Lord Worm is cool (but I won't tell you what) and everything is AWESOME."

That's the entire content of your review as far as "about the music" goes. Go figure.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

~Guest 3496
Exterminator 666 Does Not Answer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:51 pm 

Actually, I locked the topic. Evenfiel isn't a forum mod, and can't lock topics.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:00 pm 

PhantomOTO wrote:
Evenfiel isn't a forum mod,

Ah yes *ehem* I'd actually know that if I didn't always mix him up with Esoteric... who isn't even active anymore. :uh oh:

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:38 am 

Well, i sent this review and i got an email says the review is acceptable but it is poorly formatted and difficult or annoying to read.
can someone edit it please or help me to improve it?

[review on dragonforce-inhuman rampage]
"Inhuman Rampage" is the worst album I heared in 2006.
All the songs has the same structure:
Melodic intro, then pouncing into high power singing with swift double bass drumming, simple melodic chorus plus some verses breaking into sequence of guitar and keyboards leads ending with the same chorus- without any variation.
Maybe some guitar players will find the guitar technique interesting [although i didn't, and im guitarist] but this album don't worth any dollar or time.
The lyrics also very stupid ["Rise over shadow mountains blazing with power!" or "Heroes of the night are calling See the promised land is falling"] , seems like the band played too much D&D....
Final line: very kitsch and boring album without any atmosphere or originality.
After 2-3 times i heard it..i couldnt stand it anymore!

concertmusic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:07 am 

Here are some basic grammaar corrections and structural changes, without changing any content:

[review on dragonforce-inhuman rampage]
"Inhuman Rampage" is the worst album I heard in 2006.

All the songs have the same structure: Melodic intro, then pouncing into high power singing, with swift double bass drumming; simple melodic chorus, plus some verses breaking into sequence of guitar and keyboards leads, ending with the same chorus - without any variation.

Maybe some guitar players will find the guitar technique interesting (although I didn't, and I am a guitarist), but this album isn't worth any dollar or time.

The lyrics are also very stupid ["Rise over shadow mountains blazing with power!", or "Heroes of the night are calling See the promised land is falling"] - it seems like the band played too much D&D....

Final conclusion: A very kitschy and boring album without any atmosphere or originality. After I heard it 2-3 times, I couldnt stand it anymore!

Sean16
Moody Tabulator of Torn Hymens

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 am 

Well, most obvious... IT'S TOO SHORT!

Try to expand every point a bit, and don't forget to put spaces between your paragraphs (the site doesn't recognize indents) - that's for the "formatting" stuff.

You could also develop on the overall mood of the album (why doesn't it have "any atmosphere"? why "kitsch", exactly?), the musicians' abilities, the songwriting... I agree everything is in germ in your review, but barely one sentence for every point isn't enough.

Be also careful with your grammar - e.g. all the songs HAVE the same structure, etc. - that might be for the "annoying" stuff.

Of course these are just little suggestions. I agree Dragonforce is a terrible band on many aspects (though I've heard far worse as well), so I guess it shouldn't be difficult to write an extended negative review for it...

EDIT - I hadn't seen concertmusic's answer before posting

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:43 am 

Thanks for you both dudes.
I will add more contens to "concertmusic" improved version.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:14 am 

Hello. I've done quite a few reviews (over 100 now, I think), and I have no idea if they're any good, or totally crap. So here's one of my reviews picked at random, not my best or worst. I'd welcome some criticism on it.

Not exactly the most exciting release ever. - 60%

Doom Metal is one of the genres where anything can happen. Unlike, say, Death or Thrash, Doom songs can go for ages without any problems, and all sorts of different moods and styles can be added. You can add Jazz, you can add Ambient, you can add a Death Metal feel, you can add Post Rock. Morgion, however, add a whole lot of bland to their version of Doom Metal.

So.. what does it sound like? Put simply, Morgion combine heavy-ish riffing with lots of clean parts. Not a bad thing, as long as you do it right. You don't want to sound like a Doom Opeth. The Slow, Sabbath like riffing is decent, but the production isn't raw and thick enough for this album. Doom needs heavy, crushing guitars, and while the guitars aren't exactly weak, they're not heavy enough to ever make the songs really heavy. Some songs, like Ebb Tide and She, the Master Covets (terrible song title) get close to achieving the crushing, overwhelming waves of distortion that you need in Doom Metal, but none really get over the line. Maybe it just means the bass isn't turned up loud enough. Regardless, it's not quite as heavy as you'd like it. The growled vocals are great though, and fit the songs quite well.

Unfortunately the clean vocals are terrible. They are disgusting. The singer has one of the weakest clean vocals I've heard in a long long time. There's no power in his voice, no volume. Basically, it sounds like he's still nervous of singing in front of people. It's a pain really, because the clean vocals come in during the best parts.. the clean bits. The heavy parts are adequate, but the clean bits are pretty cool. Ebb Tide has a great tranquil intro, with some subtle and fairly awesome synths, and The Mourner's Oak has a long, steady build up, and is maybe the one song where the clean vocals don't completely ruin the tune. The one complaint with the clean bits is that they all sound fairly similar. Very similar, really.

In the end, the whole album just drags on into one long monotonous dirge. A bit more variation would be good! So, would I recommend this? Well, no. I'm not exactly going to run back and refund my CD, and it could be a lot worse, but this is a cd that the instant you put it on, you forget it's on.

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:54 am 

It's a decent review, Caspian. Watch your capitalization, especially concerning style names i.e. Death Metal, Ambient - not proper nouns and comes off amateurish. Decent length. Grammar seems okay except for the comment above. You're not going to win any awards with it, but it's not oven fodder material either.
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:13 pm 

could anyone help me with the review im doing of Metallica - Metallica...

-

Metallica – Metallica

The Last Great Metallica Effort.

Note the title; it is not “The Last Great Metallica Album”. Metallica’s 1991 self-titled album is either a pariah or opus depending who you ask. I am writing this from the angle of a kid who was barely over 1 year old when this album came out and had none of the “METALLICA SOLD OUT!” mindset, because this has been part of Metallica since I got into them.

With the onset of the 90’s music was in a major change. Grunge was taking over the mainstream with bands like Soundgarden, Nirvana, Pearl Jam and to a lesser extent Alice in Chains. Hair Metal had shrunk from the major player on the pop charts to barely being a footnote on the musical spectrum. At the same time Metallica was going through many changes too. They fired longtime producer Flemming Rasmussen, was it because of the muddled production of “…And Justice for All”? And they still hadn’t (did they ever?) jelled with Jason Newsted. There were many questions to be sorted out in the Metallica camp.

It is fitting that such a major change happened at this time. With the introduction of “outsider” producer in Bob Rock, they acquired a producer who already had many bands on his resume, albeit none being in the ilk of Metallica. He helps achieve the strongest production job put to record by Metallica.

That leads me into the band, and the sound, that some of their respective instruments took on this album.

First off is the vocal and rhythm guitar work of James Hetfield. The vocals are near perfect, they are in the mix at a spot that is fairly pleasing to the ear. Also they sound stronger and more “hard rock” than anything before. The vocals don’t sound as high or as though they have been overdubbed, as they sounded earlier. The rhythm guitar is a one of the driving forces of the album.

Say what you want about Kirk Hammett, he is an extremely talented guitarist hands down. He delivers probably one of the best performances of his career. Most notable is that the solos are more “hard rock” than “heavy metal”. There are no faults with his performance on the “Black Album”.

Jason Newsted’s performance on the “Black Album” really cements his status as top notch bassist. Sure he will forever live in the shadow of Cliff Burton. But anyone who depreciates Jason Newsted for what ever reason (“he picked”, “he was there during Load and Re-Load” or the one that pisses me off the most “He’s not Cliff”) should just shut the fuck up.

After the “…And Justice for All” debacle, were the drums clicked and clacked, and were just way to far up in the mix, the “Black Album” has some of the strongest sounding drums put to record. They are thunderous, heavy, and spot on. They are not as complex, which might be a complaint for some, but I think they work great with the music. Maybe the last album by Lars that made you think “man this guy is good”.

The contents of the album are usually the most scrutinized element of this album. Some say they have a few good songs and then filler, but what are their reasons? Sure this is weaker songs on this album but there is not anything that takes away from this album.

Some of the better songs include: “Enter Sandman”, maybe the most overplayed song on radio besides “Paranoid” and “Stairway to Heaven”. However “Enter Sandman” is a fucking great song and an excellent way to set the tone of the album as the opener. Next up is “Sad But True”, a brooding, heavy and dark song. The best song on this album in my opinion. The 4th track “The Unforgiven” is a solid, slower, ballad but has a hard edge to it. I don’t have any feelings that this was a cheesy sellout ballad, just a soft song. Following “The Unforgiven” is “Wherever I May Roam”. “Wherever I May Roam” sounds like Metallica has added the sitar to their musical arsenal. It is the longest track on the album, unlike many longer tracks by Metallica, it doesn’t twist and weave throughout the song, it is one steady riff for the most part. “Nothing Else Matters” and “Of Wolf and Man” are 2 of the later tracks; both are strong really strong and help keep the momentum into the back end of the album. “Nothing Else Matters” feels a bit like the early part of “Fade to Black”, especially James’s vocals, and the acoustic intro. “Of Wolf and Man” is a headbanging tune, which is one of my favorites, and has a tendency to get stuck in your head. Bright spots, yet inconsistent: “Holier than Thou”, “Through the Never”, and “The God that Failed”. I would say that this is a good album on the basis that it is good from track 1 to track 12, which in my book is the definition of good to great album.

Overall, I can’t see why this album is so hated by some, it contains strong songs a great performance. The only downside, and it really doesn’t pertain to this album is, after the “Black Album” Metallica experienced a major creative decline. This is a perfect introduction into Metallica for any new fan.

-

thats it....thanks for reading....any help would be really appreciated :)

Sean16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:43 pm 

caspian wrote:
Hello. I've done quite a few reviews (over 100 now, I think), and I have no idea if they're any good, or totally crap. So here's one of my reviews picked at random, not my best or worst. I'd welcome some criticism on it.

As you ask us to judge your overall work, I'd say I read a bunch of your reviews and they're fa from being the worst I've seen here. They might often be a tad short, but some people prefer short, straight-to-the point reviews so it's more or less a matter of taste.

At least you tell us about the music, and even if you often could go more into details I prefer that to people who write three paragraphs of general comments about the band, three others of useless scenery then eventually two miserable lines about the album they're supposed to review.

And last but not least you're an occasional doom metal reviewer, a pretty rare species here in M-A. Keep on reviewing doom albums !

I also agree with Gutterscream, and God knows how much Gutterscream is qualified to tell about reviews ;)

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:53 pm 

Finally, the correct fucking topic. :grin:

Posted these a small time ago. I have two reviews up. One is Black Tribe's Inferno, and the other is Sunn0)))'s Black One, respectively. Too much black?

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=20770
Quote:

Bizarre, and yet, interesting. John Gill presents us with his Inferno, and not Dante’s. Raw and almost haphazard at times, Black Tribe’s Inferno gives us Black Metal with an Industrial plague, with a captivating, disturbing, yet bothersome work. I think there is something very honest about the outcome of Inferno, and I feel optimistic about the experiments with instrumentation, aside from all of its criticisms.

Boldly cacophonous, Inferno’s Industrial strains have a strange fit into the Black Metal form presented here. Songwriting is intentionally vibrant and forceful, and usually either candy or poison for the ears. The programmed drums are almost intentionally catching; the sound varies as infectious, energetic, and even annoying at times. It has a very strong “stomping” feel that I enjoy. There are even times when I don’t think the drums fit well. These moments are brief, and aren’t engaged in dynamic moments in the song where momentum has built up. It’s not a point to be exaggerated upon or overlooked, however. Guitar work is varied as well. It has that drone, and that sometimes dull cut when too loud, but overall works in most of the material to give it more an approval in effort. The way that the guitars (either real or programmed) fit the theme of the songs also works prominently without dulling thin in most cases. Gill’s vocals have the sharp, static-like sound that fit well into the paradigm of much Electronic and Industrial-flavored Black Metal. Within the understanding of the usage of instruments, the probable limitation of resources makes it commendable and contrastingly erroneous at times; the error is utilized (somehow serendipitously) to create harmoniousness, and the harmony can fall into error.

There should also be a point made about other instrumentation as well. The use of keys evens out the “surface” of the album, but I don’t think it was exactly used for what I’m inferring. The keys give an added touch of melody that widens the audial spectrums tastefully. There are also an added number of samples that assist in spicing up the compositions as well. Gunshots, explosions, yells, and flowing water can be heard. This makes the songs’ stream run even more richly than expected.

The actual composition of Inferno is the key in what is novel listening. A use and buildup of instrumentation increases texture, which increases listening depth. Songs can be either slow, blazing fast with feedback, or simply riding the wave of ambience into a new theme introduced in a piece of a song. “Funeral Obsession” could be said to have a “suicidal” feel, but I’d rather feel mesmerized by the riffs reminiscent of Ildjarn. It’s minimal, contagious, and notable for use of pleasant tempo change, accelerated with compelling emotion. “Eine Selbstmordnotiz in E-Moll” is a great example of Gill’s use of textural ingredients. A low speed, morose riff terminates into an ambient bridge into a minimal tune. I extremely liked the piano in the end of the song, although I don’t think it fit well into the tempo; the tune gets stuck in my head though. The intro, “Semtex & Cocaine” was merely a drone with programmed drums and guitar introduced in. Simply demented and grotesquely appealing. The covers are interesting as well. From the infernal screech of Gill’s cover of Mayhem’s “Pure Fucking Armageddon,” to their mystically absurd interpretation of Emperor’s “Cosmic Keys to My Creations and Times,” I’ll be expecting covers just as bold in the future.

I’ve been told by Gill that the material was difficultly recorded from nine to ten months, and every beat was pasted into Windows Audio Recorder! That’s painstaking. Within a context of self-production, Inferno should be commended for both textural considerations, even with small oddities here and there. Listening here shouldn’t be given over simply to good and bad; oddly, the bad and good crossover into each other’s territory! “I wasn’t going to tell you this,” but Inferno does well in reaching heights infernal (as the name suggests) with such eerie experimental quality and disturbing features. So onward, I say, onward with the downward spiral! (Pun is not intended, but will accept credit for)

http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=87680

Quote:
Continually experimenting with the already non-duplicable efforts of Earth, Sunn0))) progress effortlessly through four full-length albums before rerouting themselves from the conditioning of White1 and White2, and presenting us with Black One. This presentation of Black Metal fused with Drone Doom is by no means the first documented attempt at such an unholy union, but rather, another development brought about by continually mutating their Drone Doom sound with taste, artistic acceleration, and even pushing the sub-genre’s growth as a whole. Covered once again in murky, thick cobwebs of atmosphere, this one is another treasure from the swamps….

This album covers many spectrums of Sunn0)))’s work, particularly their minimalist, noise-utilized, and atonal works. I’d say this album takes some snippets from The Grimmrobe Demos, White2, and Flight of the Behemoth. The particular soundscapes present, then, are of a wholesome variety. It’s the novel composition that makes this album flow especially well.

Considering the comparisons of past Sunn0))) albums, the tone and form are more murky and sinister in intent. The guitars are immensely thick (as expected), and there are a myriad number of other sounds, noises, and vibrations I have yet to identify. Formulaically, the rich sounds in combination with droning guitar and bass immediately marry into a construction of things eerie, macabre, ghoulish, and even at times mystical/spiritual. I think that here, a deeper importance of atmosphere is understood, where in previous efforts, there was not enough audial “space” allowed to prevail. The inherent subtleties with vocal work done by O’Malley in “CandleGoat” and the exceptional vocal work of Malefic in the disturbing, chilling “Bathory Erzébet” (he reportedly recorded in a casket within a hearse) are some examples of how that blackness flourishes on the album. Hell, even the lyrical content of “CandleGoat” is an excerpt from Mayhem’s “Freezing Moon.” The grimness here is so thick it could be cut into slices and served.

I take it that the whole album should not be overlooked in any way. Black One is not entirely a fusion of Drone Doom and Black Metal, but a further evolution, experimentation, and blackly-influenced work. “It Took the Night to Believe” is a resoundingly grim, haunting, and notable track. The main parts consist of a rhythmic drone, led by a tremolo riff that plays a funeral procession for the entire universe. Wrest’s chthonic tone gives an extra interesting layer to the track, but does not command any extraneous attention. The simplicity of this track, as well as the sludgy, prehistorical “Orthodox Caveman” is the primitive simplicity of Sunn0))) that is mesmerizing, as well as enjoyable. And as grandiose as many Sunn0))) songs are, the ones presented here are nothing less of paradigm shifts in the sands of Drone Doom. “Cursed Realms (of the Winterdemons),” a cover of Immortal’s song from the album “Battles in the North” is a track noteworthy of Drone experimentation. Amidst Malefic’s ghastly shrieks, the song has no significant structure for part of the song; the verses here are laid against a frozen landscape created by harsh, howling feedback, which gives way to a trumpet-blowing drone, a herald of an icy tomb. The song builds in its urgency, raising feedback, until the bow breaks in a blizzard of encrusted feedback, accompanied by atonal echoes. The resonance of the final notes sounds a grave and final resolution fitting to the track. I think the song fails in its need to actually “cover” the Immortal material, whereas this is more of an interpretation. Nonetheless, I think that it is admirable that it wasn’t some sludgy copy-and-paste, but rather, a literal interpretation of the material.

The usage of collaborating artists on Sunn0)))’s albums has very much worked in their favor. Upon initial listening, I would’ve thought that such a collaboration with previously guest starring artists, along with the work of Wrest (Leviathan) and Malefic (Xasthur) would have an overshadowing effect on the overall effort, due to their popularity with the Black Metal underground. However, the work does not exploit excessive use of their flair, successful in evading imperfections that both artists face.

Because Sunn0))) is so prolific within the Drone Doom scene, I can only say that this album is a landmark in Drone’s development not because of invention, but it is the mark of Sunn0)))’s juggernaut influence on drone and their work with other artists that will have future Drone enthusiasts claiming this one to be a classic. Let’s see in the next ten years….until then, you can both suffer and marvel in this album’s epic drones.

Sean16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:34 pm 

About Rickjames's reviews first... There isn't really much to say. Well-written, good formatting, good musical description, exactly the kind of review I enjoy reading. You should definitely write more of those!

About erickg13's Metallica review... Well, the first thing that bothers me is precisely it's ANOTHER Metallica review ;)

More seriously now, the construction is a bit iffy. You begin by describing the scene and the band, devoting one paragraph to each member, and eventually all the songs are gathered in one paragraph which sounds too much like a disguised track-by-track. You see, it could work fine for an unknown album most of us haven't heard of, but it's a bit easy for an album EVERYONE has already listened to.

Your grammar is sometimes a tad odd. Re-read your last paragraph, for instance... I'm pretty sure it lacks something like an "and" in the first sentence, and I've some troubles with the second one as well.

The length is fine. Once again, I'd say your major problem is you don't come with anything really ORIGINAL to say about such a well-known release. Don't take it wrong, I'm the first to admit I'd probably be unable to come with anything worthwhile to say, good or bad, about the black album.

But it's just my humble opinion. :)

erickg13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:02 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
About erickg13's Metallica review... Well, the first thing that bothers me is precisely it's ANOTHER Metallica review ;)

More seriously now, the construction is a bit iffy. You begin by describing the scene and the band, devoting one paragraph to each member, and eventually all the songs are gathered in one paragraph which sounds too much like a disguised track-by-track. You see, it could work fine for an unknown album most of us haven't heard of, but it's a bit easy for an album EVERYONE has already listened to.

Your grammar is sometimes a tad odd. Re-read your last paragraph, for instance... I'm pretty sure it lacks something like an "and" in the first sentence, and I've some troubles with the second one as well.

The length is fine. Once again, I'd say your major problem is you don't come with anything really ORIGINAL to say about such a well-known release. Don't take it wrong, I'm the first to admit I'd probably be unable to come with anything worthwhile to say, good or bad, about the black album.

But it's just my humble opinion. :)

thanks!

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:32 pm 

Sean16 wrote:
About Rickjames's reviews first... There isn't really much to say. Well-written, good formatting, good musical description, exactly the kind of review I enjoy reading. You should definitely write more of those!

Thanks, I try to be informative and stimulating (to the point where one might want to hear the music) and not be too dull or verbose.

Reaper_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 pm 

I would like some feedback on my new Xasthur and Doomsword reviews. I understand that the Doomsword one is probably the weeker of the two as it might be seen as having too many analogies, but I guess that it could pass if I've done them right. I don't usually review albums in the "Hey dude this is metal" type of way, but the Doomsword review did end up that way. Thank you.

Xasthur - Telepathic With The Deceased

Doomsword - Doomsword

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:40 pm 

Edit: Fixed.

Last edited by RickJames on Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 pm 

Yes, I am interested in feedback concering my reviews...

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:28 am 

Sorry about the mix up. In the Xasthur review, I would've liked more in-depth elucidation on song structure and production value, and its cohesion as a whole. The Doomsword review seems to be fine, despite its small amounts of cliché context (and about one grammar error), which can be overlooked. I also appreciated that you noted Doomsword's unique style as well. Keep up the good work. :)

Sean16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:39 am 

@caspian: as you asked us last week for feed back about your reviews, there's a little thing that bothers me about your recent Suffer the Silence - A Welcoming to Departure review... It's overall a good review, but some sentences are a tad reminiscent of the other review on the page - a review, as you may guess, I know very well!

It's more generally something I'd already noticed in my very case. Before reviewing a release I less and less often read other reviews for the same release, as I think it always more or less consciously influences me. In fact, I now read other reviews just right before submitting my own review (so that I ensure everything I say hadn't already been said). I also often write reviews for albums with no reviews, which is of course another solution!

I'd like to know what other reviewers think about this...

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:52 am 

I'm an attention whore, so I'd like some feedback for my Countdown To Extinction review: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=668

--------------------------

I want to get this out of the way first: Countdown to Extinction is a letdown.

In Dave’s heyday Megadeth was great, which is why it’s all the more difficult to listen to an album released by them which is so watered down. This isn’t about the clean production, because that’s hardly bothersome. I’m not even talking about Megadeth “selling out” or its radio-friendly tendencies here; Mustaine didn’t “sell out” until the late nineties, and 1994’s Youthanasia was Megadeth’s most radio-friendly album at the time (although this still did better than Youthanasia on the charts). And lemme tell ya: Youthanasia is easily better than this. Even if Youthanasia wouldn’t have been as much of a natural and logical progression from Rust In Peace than this was (and it would’ve been harder to accept by the diehard ‘Deth fans), it is nowhere near as uneven or forgettable as this.

If the only ‘Deth song you’ve heard is Symphony of Destruction, it’s hard to imagine why this is such a letdown. I know I found it hard to imagine; After all, Rust In Peace had imaginative riffs to spare, scores of beautiful solos and is just a beautiful album all ‘round and Symphony was a simple yet effective track… so, why are a quarter of the tracks here both exorbitantly simple and bland? For those who have listened to this album, I am of course talking about This Was My Life, Foreclosure of a Dream, Countdown to Extinction and Captive Honour (although to be fair, Captive Honour has a catchy chorus, I’ll give it that). I’ve listened to this album time and time again and I don’t have to have the album playing every time I want to evaluate it, yet I had to use fucking Wikipedia just to remember these tracks, that’s how forgettable they are. Altogether these songs are as basic as all shit and lack the crunch that any one of the good songs have. To top it all off, if I was held hostage by a group of terrorists, had a gun pointed at my head and had to memorize the choruses of these four songs in under five minutes, I’d only be able to remember the lines “Foreclosure of a dream” and “Captive honour, ain’t no honour” before having my brains blown out. That’s pretty much all I can remember from these: Not even three lines from four different choruses. It may seem selfish to blame the album for my forgetfulness, but keep in mind that I’ve listened to this album more times than I care to count and I’ve owned it for at least a year now.

Further, some of these tracks are so dull that it’s disheartening just listening to how hard the boys are trying NOT to go ballistic with their guitars and drums just for the sake of trying to achieve radio airplay. I’m aware that Megadeth were trying to progress, but this was only the second album with Friedman, yet it sounds like any schlub could have played these notes... or at least, most of them. The Friedman/Mustaine combo had only lasted for one album before this one, and dammit, that’s a fucking crime if there ever was one.

Furthermore, Dave: I love you man, in fact I idolize you, but when it comes to Psychotron and High Speed Dirt… just stick to your usual subject matter. Pretty please? Really folks, you could be the last person on planet Earth stuck in a hangar one hundred miles away from the nearest oasis, and listening to these tracks would still be embarrassing. Don’t get me wrong, these tracks aren’t necessarily bad, they’re just… Eeeungh. That’s the best word I could use to sum these up: Eeeungh. It’s also odd how upbeat these tracks are considering the demeanor of the others.

However, take all of these qualms out of the equation, and you’ve got yourself some very tight tracks. The aforementioned Symphony of Destruction has both catchy verses and a chorus, but are both catchy in completely different ways, and this would have to be the best example of a Megadeth song in which its simplicity and slower pace work to its strengths. We’re all familiar with Megadeth’s precision and mind-blowing technicality along with their overall attitude and subject matter, and we know how well this works with the speed of their earlier material. Remove the speed but retain everything else, and you’re left with Symphony, which is the type of song that every mediocre track on this album should have been in order to have made Countdown the true logical progression from RIP that it’s usually made out to be. Skin O’ My Teeth, Architecture of Aggression and Sweating Bullets follow the same basic pattern but have varying degrees of speed. Naturally the opening track, Skin O’ My Teeth, is the fastest, while Sweating Bullets is placed near the middle of the album and is slower. Make no mistake, it all works well.

The album closer, Ashes In Your Mouth, is the longest track here and is easily my favorite of the album. Chalk it up to my fondness for the more thrashy type of metal (which this album usually doesn’t try to be) or for its speed or for whatever, but I cannot accurately describe, in objective terms, why this is better than the good tracks on this album. If I could hazard a guess though, I’d say it’s because after all of the bullshit tracks here, this arrives like a shining beacon of awesomeness and reminds us of all the good tracks on this album as well as ‘Deth classics from the distant past and make us forget about the monotonousness of the others. Even on its own, it’s a great thrash song. Again: Make no mistake, this definitely works, and if this album had ended one track earlier it would’ve been a big miss.

Overall, if your Megadeth collection isn’t quite complete yet (save for the Risk and Cryptic Writings albums), then skip this one and stock up on the good shit before coming back to this. The reason this gets a 60 is because despite its downfalls, it doesn’t deserve any less than the equivalent of a three-star rating. After all, it IS Megadeth. However, I cannot in good conscience give it any more than that. It’s a C-grade album; If you’re looking to build a metal collection, you wouldn’t start here. If you’ve got a hankerin’ for some Megadeth, then you’d be interested in this… but be warned, you won’t be blown away by any means.

---------------------

I've also got a Great Southern Trendkill review out there, but it's not as good as this, which may make it terrible.

Wretchosoft
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:40 pm 

Thumbs up Vlachos.

Sean16

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:46 pm 

Yes, it's a good review, no doubt about that. If I had to really say something, it will be it may be a tad wordy sometimes. For instance, did we really need the last paragraph?

For the rest I'm far from being a Megadeth specialist so I won't discuss the accuracy. I think there are lots of people around there who would do it far better as I'd do...

And tell me, how could you be an attention whore by asking for feedback in a thread precisely dedicated to feedback? ;)

Vlachos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:46 am 

Thanks for the feedback Wretchosoft and Sean. I agree that I may ramble on at times, so in the future I'll try to be more on-point.

Doomlord_dtr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:53 pm 

My review of Judecca - Beyond What Eyes Can't See

Judecca are quite the perplexing band; not brutal enough to fit the Brutal Death Metal tag yet not technical enough to be included in the realm of Tech-Death. It is well rounded in the old school but not old school itself! The album so-titled “Beyond What Eyes Can’t See” also leaves one in such a strange place. Are they Demilich worshippers paying homage to Baphomet’s brutality or Baphomet clones trying to copy Demilich’s technicality and creativeness?

Musically, this album is of good quality with some creativeness shown with acoustic guitar passages and off-kilter vocals. The duel vocals are (often)excellent, really helping to up the intensity already displayed by the band. Razor sharp riffs come at you from different directions, with enough groove to keep your head banging upon multiple listens. The atmosphere is excellent; akin to the feeling of claustrophobia. This is what really makes the album, as it is something most Death Metal bands have forgot about these days. The attacks are usually kept short in order to keep the intense atmosphere flowing. The song writing is ok but not the greatest nor worst either! The lyrics are the only letdown of the album, as they are most typical of Death Metal bands in general (i.e. about death and gore).

The production is excellent and would most probably resemble Demilich’s “Nespithe”. The vocals are given more weight in the mix similar to Demilich, which also complements the music overall making it a very intense listen. The drum sound is typical circa 1996 in terms of production but works well most of the time. The guitar is vicious and uncompromising; most comparable to Baphomet’s “The Dead Shall Inherit”

I find this album an intriguing listen and as I have stated previously, I don’t know what Judecca were trying to do but it sure is great to hear, if you can track it down. It’s got enough technicality, brutality, atmosphere and killer riffs to keep everyone in the death metal universe, happy.

BlaiseBaileyFinnegan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:27 pm 

Here's my first review, so any feeback is appreciated:

Torche - Torche

It is pretty easy to determine what a band (especially a metal band) will sound like based on the cover art of their album. For example, an unreadable logo, some inverted crosses, and a corpse-painted man screaming at a candle means you're in store for some raw black metal. Likewise, an unreadable logo and something dead being eviscerated, raped, or otherwise defiled prepares you for an album of fast and heavy death metal. So what does a volcano erupting all over a rainbow and some flowers mean? Pretty much exactly what you think. Alternatively, you can think of a bulldozer tearing down a puppy factory, or cyanide lollypops. Intrigued? Confused? Read on.

Torche can best be described as "sludge-pop", which may seem to be a complete paradox, but it really is true: they play bass-heavy sludge metal combined with pop hooks. And it works. Torche somehow seamlessly combine speaker-rattling heavy riffing with melodic vocals and catchy choruses. Don't be surprised if you walk away singing tracks like "Vampyro" or "Fire" to yourself for the next week.

But don't let all this talk of "melody" and "catchiness" scare you away. Right from the opening track, "Charge of the Brown Recluse", the band make it clear that they are undeniably a sludge band (the 9+ minute closer "The Last Word" cements this reputation), with appropriately muddy, grungy (but by no means poor) production values. Save for the vocals, of course, which are clear and very well performed, and contrast brilliantly with the rest of the band.

Ultimately, Torche have written a unique and enthralling debut. The songs may be a little lacking in variety, and some may complain at the relatively short length of the album (just shy of half an hour), but this CD is definitely worth your time and money.

Yes, sludge-pop. Trust me, it works.

Doomlord_dtr
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:36 am 

BUMP

I want some feedback for this

Doomlord_dtr wrote:
My review of Judecca - Beyond What Eyes Can't See

Judecca are quite the perplexing band; not brutal enough to fit the Brutal Death Metal tag yet not technical enough to be included in the realm of Tech-Death. It is well rounded in the old school but not old school itself! The album so-titled “Beyond What Eyes Can’t See” also leaves one in such a strange place. Are they Demilich worshippers paying homage to Baphomet’s brutality or Baphomet clones trying to copy Demilich’s technicality and creativeness?

Musically, this album is of good quality with some creativeness shown with acoustic guitar passages and off-kilter vocals. The duel vocals are (often)excellent, really helping to up the intensity already displayed by the band. Razor sharp riffs come at you from different directions, with enough groove to keep your head banging upon multiple listens. The atmosphere is excellent; akin to the feeling of claustrophobia. This is what really makes the album, as it is something most Death Metal bands have forgot about these days. The attacks are usually kept short in order to keep the intense atmosphere flowing. The song writing is ok but not the greatest nor worst either! The lyrics are the only letdown of the album, as they are most typical of Death Metal bands in general (i.e. about death and gore).

The production is excellent and would most probably resemble Demilich’s “Nespithe”. The vocals are given more weight in the mix similar to Demilich, which also complements the music overall making it a very intense listen. The drum sound is typical circa 1996 in terms of production but works well most of the time. The guitar is vicious and uncompromising; most comparable to Baphomet’s “The Dead Shall Inherit”

I find this album an intriguing listen and as I have stated previously, I don’t know what Judecca were trying to do but it sure is great to hear, if you can track it down. It’s got enough technicality, brutality, atmosphere and killer riffs to keep everyone in the death metal universe, happy.

Sean16

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:38 pm 

Well, as it's already been accepted you may guess it's good enough to be included on the site...

Indeed, you keep the focus on the music, so it's fine. Be careful with your grammar though (e.g. most death metal bands have forgotTEN / not the greatest not THE worst either, etc.) but it may just be a matter of inattention (I'm the first to write such things sometimes).

It may be a tad arid and lack of style sometimes, but I'll always prefer to see a review with actual content lacking of style rather than a well-written review lacking of any content.

So yes, it may not be a masterpiece, but it's fine, especially if it's your first review. There is no secret, the more reviews you'll write, the more you'll progress.

EDIT - this post in itself is considerably lacking of style, I'm repeating "it's fine" twice. Oh well.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:58 am 

Wrote this a few minutes ago. It's for Orthrelm's Norildivoth Crallos Lomrixth Urthiln album.

Quote:

You know, when I originally downloaded this album, I deleted it before even listening to it all of the way. It was that awful. Now, for a while I’ve been silently admonishing myself for not having any seriously negative reviews, but I was scarred for months from my initial encounter with this album, so I opted not to bother. I recently thought I should review it from memory, then realized that’s generally frowned upon. It would appear the scars have yet to heal, as I’m listening to it now and can faithfully say I probably could have just as easily done it from memory. In fact, it would have been beneficial to my health.

You see, this album is the sort of thing that I’m pretty sure could magically shorten someone’s lifespan through repeated use. One of those rare Diet Coke’s of music that have no clinically proven side effects but which has a consistent contingent of consternated listeners who insist they’ve received headaches, herpes, elevated levels of anger and all manner of physical and psychological problems. It’s going to be a long time until I hear an album more diseased than this.

The album’s music is the same as it’s effects---diseased. The reason I checked out these guys in the first place was because of the way a friend of sorts described them to me: “John Zorn taken to the next level,” or something equivalent to the way Luc Lemay described Negativa. Being a fan of Zorn’s work, I was intrigued. Unfortunately for my ears and longevity, he left out a few things. This is similar to Naked City and the like, yes; the manic energy is there, as is the improvisational song “writing.” But there is no jazz., so don’t let the Zorn comparisons fool you for that reason. The music is entirely based on guitar shredding, so don’t let the Zorn comparisons fool you for that reason either. Most importantly, the music no melody whatsoever; there isn’t any melody disguised as noise or vice versa; there just simply isn’t any melody at all. It’s completely unlistenable, in other words.

The best way I can describe the album for you is this: imagine if a wizard cast a spell on two little children who had never played an instrument in their life, and this spell enabled them to play really fast. Then imagine that these two children decided to make an atonal shred album. That’s what this record is. Two kids with no knowledge of to properly use either atonality or tonality playing fast, two kids with no idea how to properly use either dissonance or consonance shredding all over the guitar and drums with no ear for melody at all. Here’s another description for you: if I could play this fast after one month of guitar playing, this is what I would sound like. There is no theory here, neither a strict adherence to musical theory nor a rejection of theory in favor of creating their own. This is amateur music of the most painfully embarrassing sort. Sometimes when my brother is playing video games and I want a turn, I find my guitar and purposefully make of the most annoying, irritating, soulless leads, and that’s EXACTLY what this sounds like: a band intentionally trying to be annoying. A band intentionally trying to suck.

Din
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:40 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Wrote this a few minutes ago. It's for Orthrelm's Norildivoth Crallos Lomrixth Urthiln album.

Well, if you don't mind my feedback ...

I had not heard of this band or their album and thus had no knowledge whatsoever on them. Yet after reading your review, I still have no knowledge about them. Your review did not really changed anything. All I got was that you hated the album. That and the band apparently shred. The last paragraph is obviously the most informative and the first paragraph is obviously the least. Personally, I would prefer to read a review that was more informative and less disparaging. I do not mind the subjective perspective since that is what all reviews really are but I feel you did parade your subjective bias a tad bit too much.

Begining the review with the phrase "you know" also felt rather odd since I doubt anyone else would know that which you subsequently wrote. Just my opinion.

Sean16

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:11 am 

Indeed, the guy above is right, your review undoubtedly lacks of musical description. It's a pleasant read though, I find it rather well-written. But as an actual review it's still borderline IMHO.

I've no problem with the "you know", as it's obviously intended to be nothing more than a rhetorical effect I also use (and abuse of).

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:30 am 

Din wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Well, if you don't mind my feedback ...

I had not heard of this band or their album and thus had no knowledge whatsoever on them. Yet after reading your review, I still have no knowledge about them. Your review did not really changed anything. All I got was that you hated the album. That and the band apparently shred. The last paragraph is obviously the most informative and the first paragraph is obviously the least. Personally, I would prefer to read a review that was more informative and less disparaging. I do not mind the subjective perspective since that is what all reviews really are but I feel you did parade your subjective bias a tad bit too much.

Begining the review with the phrase "you know" also felt rather odd since I doubt anyone else would know that which you subsequently wrote. Just my opinion.

You just contradicted yourself, and trust me, the knowledge that they shred is all you need to know. That's all the album is. Literally. Beyond that, I mentioned that it was atonal and energetic. Improvised too, but perhaps I should change that to "spontaneous." "Musical spontaneity," yes that'll do. I found one grammatical error and someone from a different board found a second. Besides that and an attempt at more descriptiveness, is there any other comments?

For those of you who don't believe me about the album being nothing but shred, here's your proof: http://media.putfile.com/some-stupid-aw ... hrelm-song

Now, I don't think someone who had read my review and then downloaded the album out of curiousty would disagree that it's nothing but shred, regardless of whether or not they liked it.

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:07 pm 

Sorry Human666, Encyclopaedia Metallum was forced to reject your review for for Fimbultyr - Ändlösa frågor, for the following reason:

The contents of your review are acceptable, but it is poorly formatted and difficult or annoying to read. Please see the following list of possible problems, correct those you find in your review and then resubmit your work.

- The review consists of a single or too few paragraphs and needs to be broken into more manageable parts.
- There are paragraphs, but they have not been properly separated. Make sure you use two enter strokes between the paragraphs, and please note that indents are not supported.
- You have used enter too often, after every sentence or after every line in the submission window, and the formatting has suffered. Only use the enter twice to separate paragraphs, or once to change lines when needed for other purposes.
- There is supposed to be a space after every comma, period and other kinds of punctuation marks.
- You have not capitalized proper nouns or the first letters in sentences. This may include the review title.
- The number of typos and grammar mistakes is too high. We suggest that you either use a spell and grammar checker, or ask a fluent English-speaker to polish the text.

Your review was:

The main appeal of this demo for me is the atmosphere, the keyboards increase
a grim and evil feeling for the dark guitar riffs and even building some nice interludes
which makes me feel the dark atmosphere of black metal, I wont lie and tell that the
atmosphere is unique for the band, but it still sounds very good...in favor of the
clean and bright production.The singing is sounds just how it has to be done:
typical black metal screams and some clean vocals that fit together very well with the rest of the instruments.The best song in this demo is the last one, "Hel" : it contains
the best riffs in the demo, the best keyboards work and the darkest atmosphere.
The rest of the songs are good too, but "Hel" attracted me more than the others.

Overall, this demo is nice and shows that there are still new good black metal bands out there, let's just hope they aren't gonna stop and they gonna keep up the good work, and even to improve in time.

Sincerely,
Encyclopaedia Metallum
-------------------------------------------------

Can someone help me with that review ^^?

Visionary
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:39 pm 

Wow nice response from whomever rejected that review. Human666 I suggest you follow the advice you were already given in the rejection notice and then resubmit it here.
Because they are not considered metal? This is not fare!!!

Human666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am 

But maybe someone can correct my mistakes?
I didn't found grammar mistakes or something...

Gutterscream
The Last Old Schooler in Town

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:45 pm 

Human666 wrote:

The main appeal of this demo for me is the atmosphere, the keyboards increase
a grim and evil feeling for the dark guitar riffs and even building some nice interludes
which makes me feel the dark atmosphere of black metal, I wont lie and tell that the
atmosphere is unique for the band, but it still sounds very good...in favor of the
clean and bright production.The singing is sounds just how it has to be done:
typical black metal screams and some clean vocals that fit together very well with the rest of the instruments.The best song in this demo is the last one, "Hel" : it contains
the best riffs in the demo, the best keyboards work and the darkest atmosphere.
The rest of the songs are good too, but "Hel" attracted me more than the others.

Overall, this demo is nice and shows that there are still new good black metal bands out there, let's just hope they aren't gonna stop and they gonna keep up the good work, and even to improve in time.

-------------------------------------------------

Can someone help me with that review ^^?

"The main appeal of this demo for me is the atmosphere. The keyboards increase a grim and evil feeling of the dark guitar riffs and even build some nice interludes that make me feel the dark atmosphere of black metal. I won't lie and say that the atmosphere is unique for the band, but it still sounds very good with its clean and bright production. The singing sounds just as it should: typical black metal screams and some clean vocals fitting together very well with the rest of the instruments. The best song on the demo is the last one, "Hel". It contains
the best riffs on the demo, the best keyboards, and the darkest atmosphere. The rest of the songs are good too, but "Hel" attracted me more than the others.

Overall, this demo is nice and shows that there are still new and good black metal bands out there. Let's just hope they're not gonna stop and keep up the good work, improving with time."

I don't know how many more paragraphs you could've gotten out of that without looking like lonesome sentences, but hey....
"No, Lair...but that's a pretty damn good name too!".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 108  Next