09. Straight to Hell
10. Ten Thousand Ways to Die

Sample of It Lives:

And assuming the last track is the same as on the recent EP:
https://obituary.bandcamp.com/track/ten ... ays-to-die

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:16 pm 

Meh. A new Obituary record isn't exactly cause for excitement anymore, and the sample provided does little to change that. It just sounds tired and stale.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:16 pm 

Not excited about anything Obituary's done for a while.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:27 pm 

Incidentally, have non-debut self-titled albums ever been good? I guess Queensryche was okay.

babysgottalocomotive
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Inked In Blood was the best and heaviest thing they'd done for a long time. Self-titling a late career album follow up is a big move.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Nice production, but I'm hardly excited here. "Loathe" from last year was very cool, though.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:11 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Incidentally, have non-debut self-titled albums ever been good? I guess Queensryche was okay.

Flotsam and Jetsam. I guess Sodom is alright too.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:14 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Absu's was amazing

InsaneSniper
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 pm 

There's also Voivod and Candlemass.

Didn't care for Inked in Blood, but I'll probably give this a listen. I'm not expecting much, though.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

Is it just me or is that very lazy titling and very lazy cover artwork?

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:39 pm 

gabber wrote:

Hopefully. Since laziness is about not doing what it takes to achieve a specific goal. And in art, both music and painting, the goal is in the mind of the artists. It's not for anyone else to judge it as lazy, since that would involve assuming that they had a specific goal, and were too lazy to achieve it, when in reality they may not have had that specific goal.

why
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:07 pm 

Dembo wrote:
gabber wrote:

Hopefully. Since laziness is about not doing what it takes to achieve a specific goal. And in art, both music and painting, the goal is in the mind of the artists. It's not for anyone else to judge it as lazy, since that would involve assuming that they had a specific goal, and were too lazy to achieve it, when in reality they may not have had that specific goal.

You sayin that about an Obituary album cover that doesn't feature much more than their logo so from now on I'll know whatever you say is worthless. Thanks for the service

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:44 pm 

It's like they got as far as designing the logo and decided that was fine as it was.

Shame too because just judging by the orange and grey tint with the stone/concrete-y texture look on the grey side, that logo could've been put to some nice artwork (y'know, at least to give you something positive to say about the album in case the music ain't cutting it).

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:25 pm 

why wrote:
You sayin that about an Obituary album cover that doesn't feature much more than their logo so from now on I'll know whatever you say is worthless. Thanks for the service

Read again. I'm talking about all artwork and the relation to the artists goals, not this exclusively. Also, how ironic that your claim is that a disagreement about one thing make you conclude things about the worthlessness of future statements.

It's not like a less-is-more type of approach is that uncommon in metal, music or art in general. And I'm sure many would rather walk around with this cover on a shirt than with several of their previous ones. So even with the approach of looking good, this may win over many other "non-lazy" ones. It's just arrogant to talk about laziness just because an artwork is simple or clean.

Also, this one even have alot of detail in the logo if looking closely, which makes the accusation of laziness even less justified.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 pm 

I think black backgrounds only look good on digipaks (and vinyl covers and shirts obviously.) On jewelcases it always looks terrible.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 pm 

04. End It Now

Yeah, good idea.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:14 pm 

I'm excited for the album and will buy it. I really liked "Inked in Blood", easily the best album they've released in many years, and have faith that they'll put out a good one here. The cover is a bit boring but I get why they did it (makes sense for the very "simple and to-the-point" nature of the band). Plus, Kenny Andrews is an incredible guitarist, his work with the band so far has been phenomenal.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 pm 

Dembo wrote:
why wrote:

Read again. I'm talking about all artwork and the relation to the artists goals, not this exclusively. Also, how ironic that your claim is that a disagreement about one thing make you conclude things about the worthlessness of future statements.

It's not like a less-is-more type of approach is that uncommon in metal, music or art in general. And I'm sure many would rather walk around with this cover on a shirt than with several of their previous ones. So even with the approach of looking good, this may win over many other "non-lazy" ones. It's just arrogant to talk about laziness just because an artwork is simple or clean.

Also, this one even have alot of detail in the logo if looking closely, which makes the accusation of laziness even less justified.

Your opinion =/= everyone's opinion.

Even you've gotta admit, this is not what one would call a 'sensational' album cover. The logo with a snake around it. Wowsers.

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:33 pm 

gabber wrote:
Dembo wrote:
I'm talking about all artwork and the relation to the artists goals, not this exclusively. Also, how ironic that your claim is that a disagreement about one thing make you conclude things about the worthlessness of future statements.

Your opinion =/= everyone's opinion.

Even you've gotta admit, this is not what one would call a 'sensational' album cover. The logo with a snake around it. Wowsers.

For the first statement, the same goes for you and everyone else, and no-one have implied otherwise.

For the second one, no-one called it sensational or anything. Huge gap between an artwork not being sensational and being lazy. Also, the details in it are way more than the snake. Hence the need for a closer look.

A quick count reaches about 70(!) faces of various looks in the logo, + the dragon or whatever + the snake + the colours. LAZY!

Here's a bigger picture for anyone who wanna check the detail-count themselves: https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a0631589612_10.jpg

But even without any of the detail you'll see at a closer look, it would have been arrogant to call it lazy, since it would involve assuming to know what the goal of the artist was, which was my whole point. So in this particular case the accusation of laziness is very odd for two reasons.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 pm 

^ Goddammit, man. I'm marginally interested in this album and you're spoiling that for me by acting like a spastic retard. Knock it off.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 pm 

People aren't impressed with the cover, Dembo. Get over it.

Dembo
Dumbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
^ Goddammit, man. I'm marginally interested in this album and you're spoiling that for me by acting like a spastic retard. Knock it off.

By talking about how simple and clean artwork doesn't mean lazy? And is your interest of any album depending on how others are commenting on the cover art?

One guy asked a question, I responded, others responded to me, and so on. It's a forum, not a blog.

volutetheswarth wrote:
People aren't impressed with the cover, Dembo. Get over it.

Neither am I, if it makes you feel better. My discussion is about how accusing an artist of laziness involve assuming a specific goal of theirs which may not be their true one. I've not commented on the overall quality of the artwork.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:04 am 

One of those people who won't quit until someone says they're right.

Dembo, you're right. 100% completely right, ok?

I will please entry anus
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:30 am 

chaossphere wrote:
04. End It Now

Yeah, good idea.

FOURTH DEGREE BURN

yeah, that cover is about as inspired as i'm sure this album will be. i'll pass

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 am 

Dembo wrote:
ModusOperandi wrote:

By talking about how simple and clean artwork doesn't mean lazy? And is your interest of any album depending on how others are commenting on the cover art?

One guy asked a question, I responded, others responded to me, and so on. It's a forum, not a blog.

I'm going to grant you the undeserved benefit of the doubt that you're being rhetorical and not actually trying to insult my intelligence.

As a reminder, I don't entirely disagree with you, but you're moving past defending your position and into arguing semantics for the sake of it. Let it be and move on. The artwork is hardly the selling point to begin with, or else they probably would've wound up giving it a different title.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:09 am 

Last time i've heard this unneccessarily pedantic way of discussion was when i was working with criminal defending lawyers :lol:

Boring titles, boring artwork and a boring preview sample:
Pretty much the description of any post-classics Obituary album... The fact that they still have more than two fans really shows how good those two albums are

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:46 am 

Its quite typical to see a simple artwork with the logo when a band releases an homonymous album. Too bad because Obituary usually has some cool artworks. I dont have such a great expectations but we will see what happens.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 am 

Really strange with the cover, as the last few albums had some really good artwork. Kind of a funny coincidence how Six Feet Under's is almost totally white. I think it's safe to say that Broken Hope or Suffocation will have the best cover this year.

Tornado
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:21 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Trouble! Arguably their best!

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:46 am 

Tornado wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Deranged and Hypocrisy also had rather good self-titled albums. In fact Deranged is probably their best effort.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:20 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Incidentally, have non-debut self-titled albums ever been good?
Spoiler: show

HamburgerBoy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 pm 

Obituary's last inspired album was released 27 years ago. There's barely a band I would be less excited to hear a new album from.

Tornado wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Beat me to it.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:50 pm 

Obituary is just good ol' fashion catchy death metal fun. Their hayday obviously is long gone though, but they can still come up with some fun stuff and live they are definitely one of the funnest bands around.

Anyway, as for this new album, it seemed to come on quite fast and sudden. Didn't even know anything was in the works and all of a sudden a new album is coming out in a couple months. Odd, especially after all the hype for Inked in Blood.

For some commentary on this new album, it seems like everything about this has been rushed and I fear it won't be all that great. However, I'm pretty much an Obituary junkie so I reckon I'll at least find it okay. Although I'm honestly terribly disappointed with that "cover art", or lack thereof. I mean, c-mon Obituary, if you're going to come out with a new album in 2017 that's also going to be self-titled, at least come up with a cool cover art. Not some lame logo redesign and slap that on a jet black background. Lazy as fuck. I don't even want any additional merch with this album due to that. Just the CD.

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

New song, Sentence Day is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LQj6dhbqI

Lots of Heavy Metal influence due to all the soloing. And I like that it's a short, faster song.
Drums could've been higher in the mix. The a bit too thick guitar sound drowns the drums a bit.
I think John Tardys vocal perfomance is better than on Inked In Blood, which wasn't his best.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:05 pm 

Really liked that, great stuff. I was surprised to hear how long the solo was, but I actually think it worked quite well. John's vocals sound killer, as always.

Master_Of_Thrash
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:44 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:

Yes, I think some are very well done. Sodom and Suffocation's self-titled albums are great, as far as I'm concerned.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:15 pm 

That sounded good to me! I love the 80s heavy metal lead 1:30 in, and the solo 2 minutes in sounds like it belongs on a German speed metal album. The production's way better than Inked in Blood's, too; more unhinged and natural sounding. Fairly excited about this album now.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:59 pm 

Yeah, this song was really lively for a later Obituary song.

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:07 pm 

Pretty fun, are they taking the modern Kreator route now?

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:50 am 

Jasper92 wrote:
New song, Sentence Day is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LQj6dhbqI

Lots of Heavy Metal influence due to all the soloing. And I like that it's a short, faster song.
Drums could've been higher in the mix. The a bit too thick guitar sound drowns the drums a bit.
I think John Tardys vocal perfomance is better than on Inked In Blood, which wasn't his best.

Thanks!

Its a interesting song, at least they are trying to sound fresh. Its faster and more heavy metal influenced, I dont know if I will like an album in this vein but the track is good and its nice to see that they are trying to add new influences.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next