Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:28 am 

Given it a few listens and it's a ripe favourite but will need a few more to determine it's rank. My favourite tracks are Honeysuckle, the title track, Fugue, Limerent Death and Wanting Not So Much To As To, while a strong mention of Nothing to Forget for it's excellent groove heavy chorus. Fugue is probably the best electronic song they've done while Wanting Not So Much seems like the culmination of everything they've done stylistically to it's experimental peak.

What are you thoughts on Dissociation?

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:43 am 

At first I was a bit underwhelmed but I'm giving it another chance. Let's see.

Korpgud
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:09 pm 

I've been enjoying their records progressively less since Miss Machine, with One of us.. being their lowest point in my opinion.

I haven't formed an opinion on the album as a whole yet. Most songs seem to have good parts, but also bad parts, and that's a turnoff. I'm finding myself mostly enjoying things they haven't tried on previous albums, like the tempo increase at the end of Limerent Death (Greg's vocals are just insane!), or that spoken word part in Wanting not so much to as to, or even that part at 0:12 in Surrogate (reminds me a shitload of The Mars Volta). Otherwise, I'm pretty tired of their constant recycling of the tritone and dissonance in general. The intro to Honeysuckle just seems like lazy writing.

As I'm writing this, I'm realizing that I don't really like it when they "take it down a notch" and play more regular hardcore stuff. Or at least, I haven't enjoyed most of their more hardcore stuff for the past albums.

DoomGuild
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:33 pm 

The album is ok. That's all I can really say. I've listened to it a few times and I'm still in the middle with it. I only like certain parts about Dillinger to begin with. Personally i'm not a fan of the chaos. I like melody. Dude has a good voice. He just released a side project album with someone from NIN and Depeche Mode called The Black Queen that is pretty fucking interesting. Kinda grows on you.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 pm 

Certainly mixed opinions. Much of the criticism I don't understand beyond personal taste.

My overall opinion is it's not as good as One of Us Is the Killer or Option Paralysis but better the inconsistent Ire Works, the songs featured on the former two are more defined, atmospheric and memorable. The lyrics and singing/vocal work by Greg Puciato on Option Paralysis especially are some of Dillinger's very best.

Reply to topic