Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:02 am 

Being a long time fame of both these bands I have noticed some similarities between Cronos and Gene Simmons. Cronos does the tongue thing and similar stance during live shows. And Cronos' singing is also similar.

Has Cronos ever mentioned Kiss as an influence?

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 am 

In the biography on their official website, they do cite them as an influence regarding the theatrics and aesthetics. Along with Alice Cooper.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:44 am 

Kiss is "not metal", yet I think you'd be very hard pressed to find any older metal musicians who were not influenced by them.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:11 pm 

M-pire of Evil even covered this track (if I remember correctly). Venom were definitely influenced by KISS.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:24 pm 

Kiss was one of my dad's favorite bands so I grew up with them, but later on after discovering black metal they just confuse me. They dress like demons and spit blood but sing about cars, bikini's, and highschool? WTF?

Nothing against them they put on a great show. They just seem more like an anachronism now. They definitely had an aesthetic influence on metal but musically probably not anymore than other 70's hard rock bands.

chugging_pus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:26 pm 

Proof is in the pudding

https://m.youtube.com/?#/watch?v=HoCCxCJ6ZUM

I'd add that years ago bands like AC/DC, KISS and others were often termed "heavy metal" before shit got too extreme

Desperta_Ferro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:44 pm 

In those days Kiss was as metal as you could get, along with Queen getting called heavy metal and all that.

Then of course Sabbath and Priest pushed everything forward and that changed. But the obvious influence is there.

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:09 pm 

bronxeel wrote:
Kiss is "not metal", yet I think you'd be very hard pressed to find any older metal musicians who were not influenced by them.

Same deal with Led Zeppelin and Van Halen (though the "hard rock" details permeate the former much more).
I didn't know children book fans were so angry.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:20 pm 

I remember them saying they wanted to be wilder and crazier than Ozzy, Kiss and Alice Cooper when they started. Image of course, 'cause those guys had people shitting their pants back in the day. But them being into the image it's safe to assume they're into the music as well. :D

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:12 pm 

No surprises. KISS were huge and the main gateway drug into heavier musical realms in the 1970s.

OneRodeToAsaBay
Unangeschnallt den Bullen reingefahren

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm 

Niklas Sanger wrote:
Kiss was one of my dad's favorite bands so I grew up with them, but later on after discovering black metal they just confuse me. They dress like demons and spit blood but sing about cars, bikini's, and highschool? WTF?

Nothing against them they put on a great show. They just seem more like an anachronism now. They definitely had an aesthetic influence on metal but musically probably not anymore than other 70's hard rock bands.
This is almost exactly how I felt when checking out Kiss as a teen after already listening to metal for a few years. A lot of the look and sound is still pretty enjoyable but, man, definitely needs more Satan. *shakes head*

BURlAL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:57 pm 

OneRodeToAsaBay wrote:
This is almost exactly how I felt when checking out Kiss as a teen after already listening to metal for a few years. A lot of the look and sound is still pretty enjoyable but, man, definitely needs more Satan. *shakes head*

Ha, that was my experience with Danzig. Evil? This is fucking blues! But ended up being one of my favorite vocalists.

If anyone wants to hear Kiss being heavy I would suggest Revenge and Carnival of Souls.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:03 pm 

If you find yourself wishing that KISS were a full-blown metal band please treat yourself to Black Death from Cleveland. Their 84 album reminds me a lot of Gene and the boys. Their comeback album as Black Death Resurrected also cooks.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:37 am 

bronxeel wrote:
Kiss is "not metal"

Why is that placed in quotes?

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:15 am 

Does it matter whether it's metal or not? It's not sacrilege to listen to non-metal.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:16 am 

If Venom's music was KISS + punk rock then what punk bands were Venom influenced by at the time?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:44 am 

Dead1 wrote:
Does it matter whether it's metal or not? It's not sacrilege to listen to non-metal.

It's important to be able to tell the difference between metal and non-metal. Many cannot do so and thus have a false understanding of the Truth (metal being the only Truth mankind can rely on). Of course it's ok to enjoy non-metal. It's ok to enjoy video games too, but you wouldn't want people to be unable to differentiate between video games and real life, right?

Zurbum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:47 am 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
If Venom's music was KISS + punk rock then what punk bands were Venom influenced by at the time?

I remember them mentioning the Sex Pistols in several interviews, but don't about any other band they might have considered as an influence...

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm 

Dead1 wrote:

I didn't mean to insult KISS or compare them musically to metal. They made good hard rock in the 70's and put on great shows.

I meant that they seem more like an anachronism now because their theatricality and stage performances (wearing costumes, spitting blood and fire etc) mostly carried over to metal whereas commercial rock music has lost much of its theatricality over the years.

And no I don't mean wierdo shock rock like Rammstein or Marilyn Manson, I'm talking about a band that sang disco love songs yet wore armor on stage and spit blood.

Anal Enforcer
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:25 pm 

I read an interview with Cronos where he said he loved KISS's look as soon as he first saw it, but when he heard their music he was disappointed by how un-heavy it was. The concept of Venom was his response. "We wanted to sound like KISS looked" is the quote I remember.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:32 pm 

Anal Enforcer wrote:
I read an interview with Cronos where he said he loved KISS's look as soon as he first saw it, but when he heard their music he was disappointed by how un-heavy it was. The concept of Venom was his response. "We wanted to sound like KISS looked" is the quote I remember.

I read that Venom had a similar attitude about Sabbath back in the day: Apparently Cronos thought the dark atmosphere was cool but then Ozzy ruined it by crying out "No, No! Please, God, help me!"

Metalion_SOS
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:42 pm 

If you want to hear KISS as a 100% metal band, try something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1dls_lnvQ

Element_man
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm 

Metalion_SOS wrote:
If you want to hear KISS as a 100% metal band, try something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c1dls_lnvQ

Thumbs up. Vinnie gets a little stupid on some of the classic KISS tunes but they definitely upped the speed and aggression with him in the band.
Heavy Metal. No new shit.
Encloaked
Dungeon Synth/Fantasy Ambient

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm 

Everyone who formed a band before 1995 were influenced by Kiss. 83% of them liked the music too.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:21 pm 

Zurbum wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

I remember them mentioning the Sex Pistols in several interviews, but don't about any other band they might have considered as an influence...

I would say that's more Motorhead than anything punk.

Last FM

Warty_basaloid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm 

Quote:
CRONOS Oh yeah, I was a big fan of punk at the time — to me, there was nothing else like it, and seeing the Sex Pistols for the first time was just one of greatest things for me. And it wasn’t about some guy being technically correct with his fingerwork — it was more about creating a vibe and an atmosphere and making a connection with the crowd, like the band and crowd were one big gang. Which is something I definitely wanted Venom to be.

We always used to say that Venom was all of our favorite bands thrown into a pot and mixed up — the stage show of Kiss, the lyrics of Sabbath, the speed of Motorhead, the look of Judas Priest. Trying to use as many influences as we could to make the ultimate metal band, but also being original.
https://www.guitarworld.com/features/venoms-cronos-guitar-world-interview

And his love for Rush influenced At War with Satan.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm 

Did anyone ever doubt that most 80s metal bands, especially those with stage show/makeup gimmicks, were influenced by KISS? I'd be more surprised if Cronos had said "what, KISS? who are they?" in an interview.

~Guest 417309
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:44 pm 

Opus wrote:
83% of them liked the music too.

Hey no shame in that! Metal or not KISS have always been a great band. Even their most roasted albums like The Elder and Dynasty seem positively ambitious by today's standards. They usually had a lot of help in the writing department but all of their albums have at least a couple of worthwhile cuts on them. As far as heaviness goes, I'd go out on a limb and say their 1989-1997 era is their best and heaviest period. I'd recommend the albums Hot in the Shade and Revenge to any KISS naysayers.

Opus
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:54 am 

nekrosonic wrote:
Hey no shame in that!

Absolutely not. What I meant was that even if you didn't like the music, they still had an influence on you.

Reply to topic