Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:16 pm 

According to Insomnium's Facebook page (link below), they are set to release a new album on September 23rd which features one 40-minute song. I've got to say that I definitely did not expect this, however I imagine it will sound like normal Insomnium with many songs wrapped into one. I've enjoyed each of their previous albums, so I'm excited for this one.

https://www.facebook.com/insomniumoffic ... %22O%22%7D

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:26 pm 

That sounds terrible. It's hard enough for me to sit through an Insomnium album since all their songs sound the same. Unless they do something very, very different I can't imagine this being an easy listen.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:53 pm 

I'm sceptical but excited. Insomnium has been resting on their laurels since Across the Dark, doing pretty much the same thing over and over since that album. So it's nice to hear they want to shake things up on at least a conceptual level.

Deathwish77
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:59 pm 

I bought the first 4 cheap based on the reviews on here and I agree that all their songs tend to blend together. It could also be that I'm not as big on the softer sounding melodic death as I used to be. Vittra on the other hand...

tahu157
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 4:20 pm 

Hmm. The only similar project I've listened to is Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation, another "one long song" album. I've heard it a few times but I honestly couldn't tell you what it sounds like. I'm afraid that's what's going to happen here.

Evoken
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:13 pm 

I wonder if this is going to be truly 1 track on the CD or one long song broken up into a bunch of different tracks.

Either way I'm interested in hearing it, I've always liked these guys but lately their albums are a little too by-the-numbers. I'd like to hear them experiment a bit instead of pumping out similar albums all the time, so doing a 40 minute song is definitely a big change for them.

Speaking of this band, they really need to go back and remix the One for Sorrow album. That album has the most annoying production I've heard in ages and I still can't figure out why. I'm not sure if it's too much treble or what, but something about that album's recording bothers my ears. Anyone else notice this?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:31 pm 

Evoken wrote:
Speaking of this band, they really need to go back and remix the One for Sorrow album. That album has the most annoying production I've heard in ages and I still can't figure out why. I'm not sure if it's too much treble or what, but something about that album's recording bothers my ears. Anyone else notice this?

Yeah, me. When I reviewed the album I was wondering why no one else mentioned it. It's the one thing that kills the album's potential, aside from the writing.

As for this 40 minute song, Edge of Sanity did it 20 years ago and it worked. Insomnium can still put out a good album so I think they have it in them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 pm 

what are you two on about? :/

Spoiler: show

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:13 pm 

Really hope it's a gapless album like Between the Buried and Me's 'Colors' album. Otherwise, I have no desire to listen to a 40 minute song more than a couple times. I'm not gonna go panning to my favorite part of the song all the time, and I rarely can listen for 40 minutes continuously.

TheDefiniteArticle
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:26 pm 

Edge of Sanity pulled it off. Edge of Sanity were a good band. Insomnium are not a good band, and accordingly will not pull it off.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:27 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Really hope it's a gapless album like Between the Buried and Me's 'Colors' album. Otherwise, I have no desire to listen to a 40 minute song more than a couple times. I'm not gonna go panning to my favorite part of the song all the time, and I rarely can listen for 40 minutes continuously.

Umm...Doesn't Colors have gaps? That's why they're split up into individual tracks.

Insomnium are a solid band, and I enjoyed Shadows of the Dying Sun. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:45 pm 

I've kinda been losing interest in this band for a while now...I guess I like the overall sound they've carved out for themselves but either that sound itself is kind of limited or the band has had trouble figuring out what to do to make it more interesting. A concept like this is pretty drastic (if it truly is one 40 minute song) so maybe this will be the exciting change they need to get folks like me interested in listening again.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:07 am 

Last album was great so I have good expectations. A 40 minute song sounds quite risky,though. But perhaps as Kauan did its really a one song divided in several parts which can work.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:11 pm 

Wilytank wrote:
Indecency wrote:

Umm...Doesn't Colors have gaps? That's why they're split up into individual tracks.

Insomnium are a solid band, and I enjoyed Shadows of the Dying Sun. I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Nah, there are no gaps in colors. If your music player has gapless playback, there shouldn't be any stops in the entire album.

Purabid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:27 pm 

I have always liked their longer 10 mins songs more and wanted an album full of long songs but didn't expect a one song album. This should be interesting.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:33 am 

Indecency wrote:

Nah, there are no gaps in colors. If your music player has gapless playback, there shouldn't be any stops in the entire album.

Wasn't your point about being able to go to a certain part? A single 40 minute song wouldn't have any gaps.

Skurge
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:06 am 

I know I'm just a jackass, because my first response to this was, "Well, haven't they been writing the same song for years already so how is this somehow going to be different?"

That said, I'm going to give this a shot because I still love Insomnium and I am dead honest when I say that I listen to The Day It All Came Down in its entirety at least once every couple of days. I still crank a whole bunch of their tracks on a regular basis, too. "When the Last Wave Broke" still has an intro that gives me the completely irrational urge to bang my head no matter where I'm at, be it at home by myself or standing in line at the fucking bank.

Maybe I've just somehow gotten so curmudgeonly when it comes to metal that I've somehow looped completely around and wound up in an opposite mindset that's entirely too easy to please, but to hell with it. Bring on the funeral doom-length tracks that can contain an entire power nap within their duration. If I wind up not liking it, the Earth's core isn't going to randomly behave like a dying star and become a red giant that obliterates life as we know it. I might complain, because I've been known to do that from time to time, but I think everything will be okay in the end.

Unless the red giant thing actually happens. In which case, well, here's my last statement: I always had a crush on Harley Quinn, Slayer kind of bores me, and I am super depressed that The Prophecy was so terrible after it's third film. One might argue that it sucked after the first sequel, or indeed that it was never good, but I'm willing to give it some leeway since the forth and fifth installments were so bad and at least the third movie still had Christopher Walken. Also, fuck whoever is responsible for the Legacy of Kain never getting a proper continuation. If that is your fault, please look into the mirror and realize something: You are why the video game industry can be a complete shitfest.

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:54 am 

Following in Swallow The Sun's lengthy footsteps, I see. Well, their triple album was actually quite good so Insomnium, who are the other really good doom-tinged Death Finnish band could probably pull off a 40-minute song. But seriously, what the what???

I just recently got deeply into them and I prefer their longer songs but 40 minutes does seem a bit much.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:14 pm 

I realized I lost all interest in Insomnium when I discovered Noumena. Very similar and extremely overlooked, they and Kalmah (who just entered the studio!) are now the only Finnish melodeath acts I care about. Insomnium are far from bad, but they'll have to do something really really different to capture my attention again.

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 4:59 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
I realized I lost all interest in Insomnium when I discovered Noumena. Very similar and extremely overlooked, they and Kalmah (who just entered the studio!) are now the only Finnish melodeath acts I care about. Insomnium are far from bad, but they'll have to do something really really different to capture my attention again.

Noumena only have one solid album (Absence), Insomnium still don't have any big chink in the armor. The similarities between these two lessened with Shadows of the Dying Sun, and Winter's Gate should make the difference even clearer.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:42 pm 

I actually liked Shadows of the Dying Sun a lot, but this sorta worries me. It sounds drastic, like "Oh crap people are losing interest we need to do something crazy", when really the last album showed them trying out some new ideas anyway (the blasting on "Black Heart Rebellion" and such) so it seems like they're trying some wild idea when there's no real need to. They carved out their niche and they've been essentially dominating it since day one (who comes close, Be'lakor?) and this just seems like them going massively overboard out of nowhere. I mean, I'll still listen to it, but they're not a band that throws weird curveballs like Crimson, nor have they based nearly their entire career on "Look at all the weird shit we do!" like Gorguts, so I just don't see the point.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Blizk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:54 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
It sounds drastic, like "Oh crap people are losing interest we need to do something crazy", when really the last album showed them trying out some new ideas anyway (the blasting on "Black Heart Rebellion" and such) so it seems like they're trying some wild idea when there's no real need to. They carved out their niche and they've been essentially dominating it since day one (who comes close, Be'lakor?) and this just seems like them going massively overboard out of nowhere. I mean, I'll still listen to it, but they're not a band that throws weird curveballs like Crimson, nor have they based nearly their entire career on "Look at all the weird shit we do!" like Gorguts, so I just don't see the point.

Markus talked about this one song album thing in an interview for a Finnish magazine, and apparently the idea was first tossed around before he was even in the band (to those who are not aware, he and the band are long-time friends). It would be less likely to see a release like this from Insomnium if it was 2006, the current state of music industry probably allows more artistic freedom to make this stuff a reality.

The band certainly don't need this kind of a sidestep to just regain interest. Shadows is easily their most played album on Spotify since its release.

Last edited by Blizk on Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:56 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
it seems like they're trying some wild idea when there's no real need to.

Well I'm really just expecting them to release another typical but solid Insomnium album. Only this time all songs will be connected with interludes instead of just the first two tracks.....

Direnotes
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:25 pm 

I liked a few of Insomnium's newer albums but I'm not going to deny the lesser songs sound like filler. I have, however, heard songs spanning way over 40 minutes before that HAVE worked so it's possible that this might be good.

~Guest 338282
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:35 pm 

Insomnium is for me one of those bands I can trust enough to blindly buy wathever they release. Above the Weeping World, Across The Dark and One For Sorrow sound perfect to my ears, solid 10/10 albums. And like Purabid I always thought their lenghty tracks (>7 mins) were the stronger ones. That said, I have huge expectations for this new one.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:28 pm 

Album cover released. Looks alright.

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:33 pm 

Ambitious to make such a long song for this genre of metal. I will check it out despite not caring about the band because they are putting in the extra effort.

Rottir
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:07 pm 

I've always enjoyed Insomnium but hate this idea. Though if it's not cut up into tracks I'll just do my own hatchet job. More cleanup work for Last.fm.

GanoesParan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:57 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
BastardHead wrote:
it seems like they're trying some wild idea when there's no real need to.

Well I'm really just expecting them to release another typical but solid Insomnium album. Only this time all songs will be connected with interludes instead of just the first two tracks.....

This is what I'm expecting as well. Hopefully they make it work, I haven't been disappointed with an Insomnium album yet.

Dead1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:27 pm 

It can't be any more boring than the rest of the crap these guys churn out.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Edge of Sanity pulled it off. Edge of Sanity were a good band. Insomnium are not a good band, and accordingly will not pull it off.

Totally agree.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:37 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Album cover released. Looks alright.

Good album cover but not excellent. I was expecting something more wintry and spectacular.

Last edited by Paganbasque on Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevetehgreate
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:12 am 

Well this looks interesting.Maybe they do some insane prog-death stuff like Opeth or Edge Of sanity or maybe some crushing funeral doom like the third part of that new Swallow The Sun album

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:59 am 

Skurge wrote:
Maybe I've just somehow gotten so curmudgeonly when it comes to metal that I've somehow looped completely around and wound up in an opposite mindset that's entirely too easy to please, but to hell with it. Bring on the funeral doom-length tracks that can contain an entire power nap within their duration. If I wind up not liking it, the Earth's core isn't going to randomly behave like a dying star and become a red giant that obliterates life as we know it. I might complain, because I've been known to do that from time to time, but I think everything will be okay.

Well, a stunner would be that everything would be okay if that red giant thing really did occur. So many problems solved with one catastrophic event. No joking or trolling, it would be glorious. As much as there'd be people who would not like that to happen, there would be many others such a event would do such good for.

[This reply brought to you by an unexpected case of insomnia, posted in a thread about, well, Insomnium--- who I find to be a pretty ho-hum band but nevertheless has some catchy tunes to these ears. They're basically a band that can impress you *after* you've moved on from the "gateway" bands that got you into metal, but over time, eventually exposed as simply not up there with the bands of legendary/timeless status, etc. A 40 minute track by them? Hmm, my first thought at this hour is that sounds potentially helpful in finally getting me to fucking sleep. An entire power nap (and more), indeed!]

Skurge wrote:
Unless the red giant thing actually happens. In which case, well, here's my last statement: I always had a crush on Harley Quinn, Slayer kind of bores me, and I am super depressed that The Prophecy was so terrible after it's third film. One might argue that it sucked after the first sequel, or indeed that it was never good, but I'm willing to give it some leeway since the forth and fifth installments were so bad and at least the third movie still had Christopher Walken. Also, fuck whoever is responsible for the Legacy of Kain never getting a proper continuation. If that is your fault, please look into the mirror and realize something: You are why the video game industry can be a complete shitfest.

That's some set of (pretend)-last words there.

Oh, on the video game thing: it could be much fucking worse than that. Like what happened to the Heroes of Might and Magic series. Former original developer who knew what they/it was doing goes bankrupt along with its incompetent publisher--- new developer takes over the series--- they/it don't know what the fuck they/it are doing and proceed to ruin the series' formerly good reputation over the last ten years, releasing several inferior flawed-to-shit successor games which don't even come close to the spirit of the timeless originals.

So yeah, at least Legacy of Kain has a good untampered-with legacy. Yeah.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:18 pm 

Here's the first look at the album. I'm really excited about this one. Even the very little of the song that they played sounds very promising.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:08 am 

ObservationSlave wrote:

Here's the first look at the album. I'm really excited about this one. Even the very little of the song that they played sounds very promising.

Wow, ok Im hype. This sounds pretty great.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:20 am 

Both the concept and the samples sound pretty fine. Count me cautiously hyped!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:30 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Ambitious to make such a long song for this genre of metal. I will check it out despite not caring about the band because they are putting in the extra effort.

:lol:

The only one song album I've ever liked is Ysengrin's To Endotaton. I think it's flawless, yet I only listen to it once in a very long while because it's such a chore to listen to a 40 minutes long song.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:25 pm 

First review I've seen:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/insomnium- ... te-review/

AMG overall has pretty good taste and I mostly trust their thoughts. Sounds promising!

Spiner202
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:32 pm 

I've given it a listen, but I don't recall too much about it. It sounds decent to me. Seems like there is a lot less hype and interest over this record than the last one, and after one listen, Shadows of the Dying Sun seems much stronger.

frostyj66
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:15 am 

I'll probably listen to this once and be done with it. Single-song album concepts just don't work with me and certainly not with my playlists.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next