Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:05 pm 

What are some that stick out to you?

One for me is in Nokturnal Mortum's 'Veles Scrolls' when near the end of the song, there's a portion where the instruments break away momentarily and then there's cheesy 'synth-voice'-speak followed by the vocalist going 'gwahh gwahhhh' repeatedly, sounding like he's fucking dying in one of the most dramatic, over-the-top ways possible. It was just a hilarious and unexpected transition, especially the first encounter with it.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:15 pm 

Nocturno Culto screaming "FEEEEEEEEEEET" toward the end of Quintessence. The word actually makes sense in the context of the sentence, but it's just the guitars briefly holding out notes while he screams that before returning to the song, and it sounds absolutely hilarious.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:30 pm 

Taneli Jarva's vocals for the album Amok are ridicolous quite a lot of times, but my favorite moment is the weird "UH-AH!" that he shouts during "forever lost" at 3:17.. what he was thinking? :lol:

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:57 pm 

I can't remember which song it is, but there's a song on Vital Remains - "Icons of Evil" which is basically all blasting (weird, right?), and then it starts to slow down with some chugging riffs and accented notes, and you think a really heavy breakdown (or perhaps melodic/epic part) is coming up..........but instead the band just launches immediately back into a blast beat :lol:. I literally burst out laughing last time I listened to the CD when that part came up. I guess I thought it was funny a) because it's so quintessentially Vital Remains :lol:, and b) it has had this hilarious "NOPE!" factor about it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:14 pm 

I think the funniest parts in metal songs are when they're unexpected. Think James Hetfield's "I am the table!" line. :)

The opening guitar line to Rings of Saturn's "Lalassu Xul" made me chuckle when I first heard it, as well as the sample repetition in Psyopus' "Choker Chain".

I'm sure there's more but those ones stick out to me at the moment.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:48 pm 

Towards the end of the title track of Dodheimsgard's Kronet til Konge there's a line that ends with the Norwegian word "pines," which as you might imagine is not pronounced like a type of tree. And the hesitation before it makes it sound like Aldrahn is shouting PENIS.

It's around 31:16 or so.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:53 pm 

I can't remember the exact track at the moment, but there's a Kalmah song (either on Black Waltz or For The Revolution) where out of nowhere the music stops and an old man grunts. Always confused the hell out of me and I burst out laughing the first time I heard it.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:09 pm 

If we can discuss intentionally funny: some members of Australian band Entrails Eradicated created a "band" called Petrol Powered Goon Bag Holocaust. To my knowledge there have only been two recorded songs, and they are hilarious if you're not adverse to racism or excessive use of the C-bomb. They're basically a parody of Indigenous Australians and their, uh, feelings towards the white population. Ironic because the guys behind it are white. Make of it what you will but it's good for a laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjyyoAeHPzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUmo3eKsxIE

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Auch
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:37 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
I think the funniest parts in metal songs are when they're unexpected. Think James Hetfield's "I am the table!" line. :)

The opening guitar line to Rings of Saturn's "Lalassu Xul" made me chuckle when I first heard it, as well as the sample repetition in Psyopus' "Choker Chain".

I'm sure there's more but those ones stick out to me at the moment.

That Rings of Saturn choice is hilarious. I got like 5 seconds in and just thought "what the fuck?"

I cannot for the life of me remember which song or even album it's from, but there's a Leviathan song where Wrest just throws in an awkward grunt right when he changes riffs and then follows it up a few second later by saying "Come on!" and those both always throw me off, no matter how often I listen to the song. What sucks is both of the riffs are really energetic so that just kind of pulls me out of the song and I can feel myself crack a bemused smile.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:51 pm 

This is war, huh? Wow!

TheLastSucker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:27 pm 

Off the top of my head I would say the outro in As Tyrants Fall by Fleshgod Apocalypse.
You have that unabashedly stomping brutality of the song with its searing guitars and the piercing snare and suddenly it shifts to this royally mellow symphonic musical melody.

Was quite taken aback the first time. Very funny now though.

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:56 pm 

There is of course Taake with "I survived the *boing* of death!" https://youtu.be/Qjkt7yCf0nU?t=3m6s

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:58 pm 

FastKill's vocalist had this really annoying vocal affectation he did on their first album, where during breaks of songs he would just go, "AY YI YI!" into the microphone. I guess being the vocalist he felt he just needed to make noise. The tone of his voice makes it pretty funny in retrospect.

Also, in the beginning of "Death Ride" by U.D.O., Udo does this strange thing I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. He groans twice, and they both sound like he's seconds before passing out. I have no idea really, what the context is, but the story I've made up in my head is he's on a fast roller coaster (hence the title "Death Ride"), and for whatever reason he just passes out. That's all I got. :lol:

~Guest 366798
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:22 am 

Almost all Asspera songs have a funny moment.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:43 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
I can't remember the exact track at the moment, but there's a Kalmah song (either on Black Waltz or For The Revolution) where out of nowhere the music stops and an old man grunts. Always confused the hell out of me and I burst out laughing the first time I heard it.

YUP, Man of the King. Starts off then all of a sudden you get a GUAH!

Acidgobblin
Literally a puppy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:50 am 

The Det Som Engang Var (song) "owl call" always struck me as rather peculiar...

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:55 am 

Not metal, but at the start of the song The Changeling by The Doors, Morrison does these two grunts that sound like he's either getting punched in the gut, or he's struggling to get up from his chair.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:58 am 

Sigh - Gundali - 3:08
Spoiler: show

This track is from the debut album of the Japanese black/avant-garde metal band Sigh. And the lyrics are about some kind of inner evil awaking within the body of the narrator (the vocalist), but there is this part, and I know it's supposed to be about some kind of transformation, but he says "Feeling my body change" and makes a weird noise right afterward, and I could never not picture a teenager that is going through puberty and who's "feeling his body change". Dunno why, but that always cracked me up :P

And it's also an album I'd recommend. It's great, but I just can't get this image out of my head, haha!

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Towards the end of the title track of Dodheimsgard's Kronet til Konge there's a line that ends with the Norwegian word "pines," which as you might imagine is not pronounced like a type of tree. And the hesitation before it makes it sound like Aldrahn is shouting PENIS.

It's around 31:16 or so.

Hahaha! It really does sound like he's shouting penis! Good find :P

Rosenthorn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:14 am 

That moment in Gamma Ray's "Lost in the Future" when Kai lets out a whoop and the band starts playing Oh! Susanna... I nearly spit out my drink the first time I heard that.

Obey the dolphin!

~Guest 302292
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:18 am 

Any time Tom G. Warrior ever introduced a riff with an "UGH". Stuff of legends right there.

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:23 am 

Some of you might find me unoriginal here, but all the vocals on Death - Pierce Me by Silencer are unintentionally hilarious!

Spoiler: show

Vintersorrow
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:56 am 

Well, there's always Pace till' Death by Bathory with its quirky guitar bit at the beginning of the song.

What was Quorthon thinking, we will never know.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:50 am 

Immortal's Unholy Forces of Evil has this moment where singer does this funny and long scream I can't even type out.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:27 am 

For unintentionally funny moments I'd have to nominate the horrible spoken word in Agalloch's "fire across the skyline" off their first album. I SAW THE NIGHTFALL. IT CALLED TO ME LIKE A RIVER OF SHADOWS etc etc. Cringy/hilarious/one of those moments where you get diving for the skip button

here it is! https://youtu.be/PYfczuNm0EQ?t=752

there's another bit in Disillusion's a day at the lake, an otherwise very cool song with a similarly horrible bit of spoken word at the end. Luckily it's a lot shorter.

https://youtu.be/VUYaN2jowLY?t=4

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

GoatBoat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:10 am 

It's completely subjective, but I find a certain part of Burzum's (Black) Spell of Destruction ("the world's tragedy served at my feast") to be hilarious, as I always mishear it as "ARGH! Roast spaghetti served on my feet!"

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am 

Any song with one of those mouth-harps in it tends to do this to me. Sometimes it works fine, like at the start of "One Rode to Asa Bay" - but on many other occasions, the song will be ploughing forward with a thick and convincing atmosphere when suddenly... *boing*... and I can't help but be amused.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:53 am 

Ostrogoth's wonderfully homoerotic chorus to 'Love in the Streets'. It could be a burly gay-pride anthem.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:21 am 

Not sure if funny, but the banjo part on Taake's Myr always make me giggle a little

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:56 pm 

The beginning of 'Brando' off the Scott Walker + Sunn O))) album has this goofy guitar part that sounds like it was taken from Sweet Child o' Mine. It's even pointed out in the youtube comments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA5OtnzNfb8

Von Cichlid
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:12 pm 

The first metal album I ever got was And Justice For All and although it is responsible for me getting into metal I always remembered having trouble with the intro to "Frayed Ends of Sanity". The rest of the album seemed so serious and humorless, so how could Wizard of Oz have made its way onto this! I was only eleven at the time so I really couldn't wrap my head around it. I guess now I see it representing the mundane drudgery of everyday life that can cause insanity to set in.

299796kms
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:33 pm 

Are Sarcofago's lyrics unintentionally funny?

My pick would be from Aglloch's The Painted Fire Across the Skyline. There's a moment where there's a musical break and spoken word section ensues. The problem is the lyrics are completely hackneyed, cliched and awful that I always burst out laughing, even back when I really liked that album.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:27 pm 

299796kms wrote:
My pick would be from Aglloch's The Painted Fire Across the Skyline. There's a moment where there's a musical break and spoken word section ensues. The problem is the lyrics are completely hackneyed, cliched and awful that I always burst out laughing, even back when I really liked that album.

10 years ago I used to think John Haughm's lyrics were so poetic and deep. Now whenever I listen to Agalloch I can't stop cringing because of them. He takes himself WAY too seriously, especially in live shows.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:02 pm 

Oh God, that Agalloch example is horrible. Even at the peak of my love for them - which was ten or more years ago - that part made me cringe.

Also, lest we forget, 'Nocturno Culto!'

HeavenDuff
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:12 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
299796kms wrote:

10 years ago I used to think John Haughm's lyrics were so poetic and deep. Now whenever I listen to Agalloch I can't stop cringing because of them. He takes himself WAY too seriously, especially in live shows.

It never bothered me. And I mean, if you feel that the guys from Agalloch take themselves too seriously, there are a hundred other examples you could have listed in this thread, especially in black metal. And I mean... of course Haughm takes himself seriously. He puts his soul in his lyrics, and I think it shows. If you don't like the whole mystic/pagan/nature imagery, then sure... it may sound silly... but if you're into this kind of stuff, then it's done pretty well.

And if you know Haughm's personality, then you probably know that he's not forcing it or being pretentious. That's just how he is. He's a private kind of guy, but expresses himself a lot through is music.

Thiestru wrote:
Also, lest we forget, 'Nocturno Culto!'

Haha! Screaming his own nickname in the middle of the track. Always classic. Are there any other places then on The Underground Resistance and A Blaze In The Northen Sky where he does that?

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:30 pm 

Some of the stuff people say is funny here just makes me happily grin. I mean you, you can laugh, but you're probably laughing along, because metal can be a rather gleeful form of music. I dig the hell out of Fenriz shouting "Nocturno Culto!" to introduce the guy who's about to sing, or Cronos going "Mantas!!!" in (I think) "Bloodlust" right before the solo is about to start. Also a singer being overcome with excitement to the point of shouting "Yeah!", or "C'mon!" just before some really heavy part comes in, like he just can't fucking help hismelf because it's just that good, rules, as far as I'm concerned.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:16 pm 

Vintersorrow wrote:
Well, there's always Pace till' Death by Bathory with its quirky guitar bit at the beginning of the song.

What was Quorthon thinking, we will never know.

:lol: DA NA NA NA NAAA NAAA

quickbeam
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:52 pm 

HeavenDuff wrote:
Haha! Screaming his own nickname in the middle of the track.

It's Fenriz shouting it; he's introducing his mate - it's like hip-hop. Agree that it really works in metal. Aura Noir loves it too: "Apollyon destroy!"

As for a couple more hilarious moments, I propose Falkenbach's album '...magni blandinn ok megintiri...' (he might have used this feature in other albums too - I don't know). He throws in this absurd computer-generated voice to, presumably, add to the epic viking atmosphere the music is generating. It doesn't work. I think we're meant to imagine the bearer of this voice as being some mighty and ancient Viking lord, but the effect makes it more Jabba the Hut. Cringetacular, and really takes me out of the album. Good music otherwise. He at least dropped it for the next album.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 pm 

Obligatory mention of maiden's quest for fire. "In a time when dinosaurs walked the earth. When the land was swamp and caves WERE HOME!!!" Also, as much as I love Alexander the great, the lyrics as a whole sound like Bruce just reading from their notes of the figure, rather than trying to form a poem or something less ham fisted with them. Lyric wise, maiden has usually been either on point or complete wtf.

Im glad someone cleared up the Nocturno culto thing before I made an ass of myself. I thought he was saying "Nocturnal thunder!" and it always kinda sounded like the dwarves from warcraft to me.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:08 pm 

Abominatrix wrote:
Some of the stuff people say is funny here just makes me happily grin. I mean you, you can laugh, but you're probably laughing along, because metal can be a rather gleeful form of music. I dig the hell out of Fenriz shouting "Nocturno Culto!" to introduce the guy who's about to sing, or Cronos going "Mantas!!!" in (I think) "Bloodlust" right before the solo is about to start. Also a singer being overcome with excitement to the point of shouting "Yeah!", or "C'mon!" just before some really heavy part comes in, like he just can't fucking help hismelf because it's just that good, rules, as far as I'm concerned.

I completely agree. I fucking love it when singers lose their shit because what's happening or is about to happen is so awesome. 'Go!'

Wilytank
Not a Flying Toy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:39 pm 

Thiestru wrote:
Abominatrix wrote:

I completely agree. I fucking love it when singers lose their shit because what's happening or is about to happen is so awesome. 'Go!'

Yeah, I mean come on people. Why mention those and not "Bullet Eater" or "Ice Dale"? It's something a bunch of bands do.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next