Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:14 pm 

So it's been 7 years since Gin, and Slow Forever is finally dropping. There's definitely been some turmoil in the band, with Phil leaving once due to artistic differences and their brief reunion being broken up again with Phil being booted for questionable conduct. Charlie Fell was a great replacement (if you haven't checked out Lord Mantis's Pervertor do yourself a favour and do so), and in this first full song his vocals are absolutely savage. Gin will be a hard album to follow up, and with only one full song and an interlude released so far it's hard to say how the whole album will play out, but so far I'm pretty optimistic. One thing I really liked about Gin was how distinctly American it was, and the unnamed interlude definitely captures some rustic, rural American vibes (think Townes Van Zandt via Steve Von Till). The full song was pretty cool, but in some parts sounded a bit close to Lord Mantis (not that that's a bad thing), but when the big dumb sludgy groove riff comes in at the end with those cool leads, it totally crushes. The "tribal" drums seem toned down, and i hope the rest of the album isn't like that as they are a huge part of what made their last two albums so special. Even if it's not as good as Gin, I have a feeling this will be really good.

I guess that's a good as time as any to stop ranting, what are your guys thoughts on this?

Beast Whip:
http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/20 ... beast-whip

Untitled instrumental:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:04 pm 

I'm holding off on listening until I can hear the album in full. Their last two albums are some of the most unique and impressive in recent metal history, so I'm beyond excited for this.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 pm 

I think this will be worth a listen at least. Cool band. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

t1337Dude
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:37 am 

dystopia4 wrote:
I guess that's a good as time as any to stop ranting, what are your guys thoughts on this?

I think the word you're looking for here is "raving". Ranting is more when you're angry about something.

Anyways, I thought that little trailer was really cool. Interesting music and imagery. Though I have to admit, as much as I want to like this band, it's not easy. Both 'Gin' and 'Eater of Birds' put me to sleep. Gave both albums multiple spins and both are one of those very few albums where absolutely nothing comes to mind when I try to remember anything that happened in any of their songs. Perhaps it's the similarity to "Tool" that some people have mentioned? It's odd because I feel like this sort of band is my bread and butter, yet it's really missing a tantalizing atmosphere to keep me interested. Or maybe the atmosphere is there and the album is too nuanced for me. That's my 2 cents.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:45 am 

Fuck. Yes.

I have been waiting pretty eagerly for this track. I'd say this is my most anticipated album of the year. The song sounds pretty good. We'll have to wait and see how this one stacks up to 'Gin' and 'Eater of Birds' which are both some of the best American black metal albums, period. So far things sound good. The part around 6:40 reminds me a bit of one of the riffs from "A Clean, Well-lighted Place" and is all around a pretty infectious groove. The best part of the song by far is Fell's vocals. I thought it'd be hard to match the vitriol in McSorely's vocals, let alone find someone who can top it, but I'd say Charlie does just that. Some downright venom savagery spewing out of that man's throat.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:27 pm 

t1337Dude wrote:
It's odd because I feel like this sort of band is my bread and butter, yet it's really missing a tantalizing atmosphere to keep me interested. Or maybe the atmosphere is there and the album is too nuanced for me. That's my 2 cents.

It's interesting that it's the (lack of) atmosphere that turns you off. The dark Americana sort of atmospheric touches are nice, but never really thought of them as a band where the atmosphere is the point of the music. For me it's the riffs, Wunder's unique drum style and the power of the vocals that draws me in.

Also, anyone else think that the album cover totally looks like Darth Vader? :lol:

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:38 pm 

Pre-orders are up today, from Cobalt's Facebook page:

COBALT "Slow Forever" pre-orders in all its formats (2xCD/2xLP/Digital) now live. Those who pre-order the 2xCD will see their order ship well before the March 25th release date. 2xLP pre-orders will ship most likely around mid-April depending on vinyl production with the hopes there are no delays. Canadian customers specifically, we'll have copies of the 2xLP in our mailorder around the time of the album's release. EU customers will be able to purchase the 2xLP via Season Of Mist around the time of the album's release likewise.
2xCD/2xLP can be pre-ordered here:
https://profoundlorerecords.merchtable.com/?no_redirect
2xCD/Digital (via Bandcamp) can be pre-ordered here:
https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.co ... ow-forever
iTunes pre-order (for the digitally inclined) here:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/slow- ... 1081121321
And a new track called "Beast Whip" can be heard here to get a glimpse of what "Slow Forever" will entail:
https://soundcloud.com/profoundlo…/cobalt-beast-whip/s-6wdFj

I'm about to order a copy now. This band hasn't let me down yet and I doubt this release will either.

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:40 am 

Thanks to the OP for some information I didn't know. I can't think of anyone better suited to step into Cobalt than someone from Lord Mantis.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:21 am 

I'm very much into Eater of Birds and Gin, so I'm looking forward to this. I hate to admit it, but Eric Wunder's vocals were quite integral to my appreciation of their sound. We'll see how the new vocalist fares.

So far he sounds like a hardcore vocalist, like Refused or something, and I'm not impressed.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:46 am 

I like the previous two albums even though I still feel like I need to give both more spins. I like the two new track. Especially the non-metal one. I look forward to this.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:28 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I hate to admit it, but Eric Wunder's vocals were quite integral to my appreciation of their sound. We'll see how the new vocalist fares.

But Erik is still in the band so how does that change things? And his vocal parts were always minor, as I'm guessing they will be on this album.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:36 pm 

Pretty sure he mistook Erik for Phil. Anyway, I kind of see what he meant by hardcore vocals - Cobalt has always been influenced by crust and there's definitely a bit of that at work. However, Refused is sort of a silly comparison and his vocals are mostly of the filthy black metal variety in that song (extra points for the Tom Warrior beanie grunts, though) and are not too far off from what they were in Lord Mantis.

The best scenario would be Phil not leaving, but I completely understand why Erik wouldn't want to put up with his racist/homophobic/sexist etc comments on social media, especially because it makes Cobalt look bad by association and I don't think anyone wants people to assume falsely that they're in an NSBM band. Either way, I think Charlie is the best possible replacement and his unhinged vocal style totally fits the band.

CircleovZaphyan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:41 am 

That new song is a vanilla toe tapper compared to the last two albums. The new vocalist sounds like the opposite of "unhinged", as described above. And the end sounds like Tool.

I guess if I want unhinged and intensity, Phil's band Recluse is where to look. I still want to hear the whole new Cobalt though since ive been waiting long enough.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:20 am 

narsilianshard wrote:
Ilwhyan wrote:
I hate to admit it, but Eric Wunder's vocals were quite integral to my appreciation of their sound. We'll see how the new vocalist fares.

But Erik is still in the band so how does that change things? And his vocal parts were always minor, as I'm guessing they will be on this album.

Sorry, wrong name. Phil McSorley is the ex-vocalist, of course, and his vocals were integral. :D

dystopia4 wrote:
Anyway, I kind of see what he meant by hardcore vocals - Cobalt has always been influenced by crust and there's definitely a bit of that at work. However, Refused is sort of a silly comparison and his vocals are mostly of the filthy black metal variety in that song (extra points for the Tom Warrior beanie grunts, though) and are not too far off from what they were in Lord Mantis.

Yes, the majority of the vocals in the song I heard are screams - like Refused, I think, but I could be wrong - but sometimes they lose the grit halfway, while some lines are delivered clean from the start, in a way that definitely reminds me of those high-pitched yells bands like Refused have. On the whole the vocals aren't nearly as intense and savage as McSorley's, or good black metal screams in general.

There are probably more apt comparisons in crust and such, but aside from a handful of black metal fusion bands, I can't even name any.

I will Sorley miss his vocals. :boo:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:11 am 

Listening to this again and I'm definitely missing Sorely's vocals. They were savage and perfectly in line with the music. Hearing this vocalist I think he does the job but I'm not feeling the venom behind them like it was before. Still like the song and all but I'll have to wait for the whole thing before I could fully absorb it.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:15 am 

Ilwhyan wrote:
I will Sorley miss his vocals. :boo:

As much as that pun was overused in the thread about them potentially breaking up, I'd be a liar if I didn't say I chuckled a little.

I'm really not expecting them to outdo Gin or even Eater of Birds for that matter (two of my favourite albums), but I'm still very optimistic about this. I mean come on the last riff of the fast section and the main riff in the end part - two of the most goddamn fun riffs I've heard in a minute. I'm also interested that they finally have lead guitar, so I guess they're going to try some new shit on this one. I can see why you guys don't like Charlie's vocals, but I really like crust and I like what he's done with them here. Phil will always be the best vocalist of Cobalt, but if Pervertor shows anything it's that Charlie is capable as being about as savage as Phil when he wants to be. Who knows, maybe he sounds a bit different in different songs. Erik is definitely the mastermind behind the band, but Phil made it dangerous. I don't think they're a black metal band anymore, anyway (Chris from Profound Lore said there was very little BM on this release). Hell, Gin wasn't even that black metal, that was just the closest term that fit (I could probably count the amount of trem riffs on one hand).

Anyway, ordered the burnt orange vinyl of this, packaging looks awesome and I can't wait.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:38 am 

Never liked Lord Mantis at all. Lame replacement, though I'm glad Phil's out of the band. I just wish Erik had found someone better.

I'll still give this a shot though, for sure.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:45 am 

Phil's vocals were pretty ferocious, and one of my favorite aspects of the band, but they were just an intense delivery of a fairly conventional black metal style. Fell on the other hand sounds inhuman and much more fierce. Reading through the comments, I guess I'm in the minority, but I consider him to be an upgrade.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:37 pm 

i have to listen again but the vocals really are a noticeable step down. New song also feels more hardcore in general though. Kinda reminds me of slower powerviolence parts as it doesnt really feel sludgy either.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:29 pm 

Powerviolence? Really don't hear it, alf.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:52 pm 

im not saying it is powerviolence but that the slow sludge like riffs reminds me of slow powerviolence riffs you know when those bands crawl down to a slower speed.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:35 pm 

Think he's just ripping off Tool, tbh.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:18 pm 

Another song debuted.
http://www.stereogum.com/1863160/beast- ... ing-board/

I'm still listening, so I won't offer my thoughts just yet.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:56 pm 

takes a while to get going but then its good

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:18 am 

That long rambling write-up was actually somehow pretty awesome.

Man, this is some pretty out there shit, even for Cobalt. Ultimately enjoyed it, though. Drums are really dope on this one, and it's pretty crazy that he wrote the drum parts before the rest of the song. Nice to see bass finally play a prominent role and it looks like Cobalt is a band that does lead guitar now. Cool shit, Wunder is a really creative dude.

Bonus fun fact: apparently at one point during his stint in Nachtmystium, Charlie smashed Blake Judd's head through a bus window. I would pay good money to see a recording of that.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:26 pm 

New song "Cold Breaker"
https://soundcloud.com/profoundlorereco ... ld-breaker

Shaping up to be a good album.

EDIT: Song and interview with Charlie Fell here.
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/cobalt- ... rlie-fell/

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:55 pm 

Fuck man, what a crazy interview. Heroin, beating up (and getting beat up by) cops ect. Guess you have to have been through some crazy shit to front this band. The song is a pretty badass rager, more in line with Gin than the other two. The tribal drums are back in full force, it's more to the point and it looks like the lyrics are still awesome. Think I'll hold off from listening to anything more from this album until it arrives in the mail.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:45 pm 

Entire album streaming btw
http://pitchfork.com/features/show-no-m ... ghtenment/

CrippledLucifer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:59 pm 

Holy shit what an absolute beast of an album. Not disappointed in the slightest even though my expectations were stellar for this one.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:29 am 

I haven't listened to it yet and I'm expecting it to be quite good, but god damnit why does it have to be so long?

SculptedCold
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:39 am 

So you've got enough to keep you occupied for the seven years until the next record. =D

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:41 pm 

Probably so long because he had 7 years of material to work with. Dank album on the whole, seems to be leaning more towards a weird progressive crusty hardcore sound (seen people call it black'n'roll and even metalcore wtf) than anything black metal this time and I'm completely ok with that. Overall I think Charlie did a really good job as much as I'd have liked another album with Phil. Seems like Erik's really grown as a musician, bass is prominent for the first time and it looks like he's comfortable playing leads now (they sound kind of like Bolt Thrower in parts). The riffts are good and his drumming has reached god-tier levels. "King Rust" is really cool, kind of seems like a sequel to "Two-Thumbed Fist". "Elephant Graveyard" is so fucking fun, especially that chorus. Production is massive, too.

But holy shit guys, that hidden track. After that Type O Negative-esque 'your stereo is totally broken, bro' prank came imo the coolest part of the album. I'm assuming it's Erik on vocals here and man, did he ever do a cool take on the sound of Sonic Mass. Also, some of the coolest drums there I've ever heard.

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:46 am 

This is actually one of the better double albums I have heard as far as metal goes. Not too many dull moments or filler tracks to be heard. Was skeptical of the addition of Charlie Fell at first, but he does a good job here. Definitely gonna buy this.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:38 am 

Yep, the album is a scorcher. I took one listen on the stream and I was thoroughly impressed at how engaged I remained through the 80+ minutes. No filler at all (which previous albums had a bit of), so this is definitely a must buy if it wasn't already. I'm pissed at myself for not springing for the burnt orange vinyl, but oh well.

On a related note, does anyone know if "Seige" is on the vinyl? Doesn't appear to be on the track list for the LP.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:40 am 

I would assume so since it's a double LP and Stew Craven is there on my Gin vinyl. I'd be kind of annoyed if Siege wasn't there because it's my favourite song off the album, but I'm sure it just doesn't appear on the track listing since it's a hidden track.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:36 am 

"Seige" was on the tracklist for the CD version but not the vinyl on the Profound Lore webshop which is the only reason I ask. But yeah, I can't imagine it wouldn't be. Until I'm sure it's the only thing keeping me from getting the LP, because it is a pretty fucking great track.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:08 am 

Woah, glad to hear all the words of praise here. I've only heard the preview tracks so far, and I really liked them! It's good to hear that the rest of the album is just as good! I know maybe my gripe about length seems silly, and you are probably right. I prefer my music be taken in 45 minute chunks, but I'm always willing to make an exception if the music is tight!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:26 am 

Beast of an album. Won me over after liking it before but wasn't totally convinced. So much good stuff in here to warrant the long wait and turbulence of the band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:28 am 

Ok so here are a few takeaways after a couple listens

- I think the second disk is by a narrow margin, the stronger half of the album. Both are fantastic however.
- Charlie Fell gives a fucking ferocious vocal performance throughout.
- Beast Whip, Elephant Graveyard, Final Will and Seige are my favorite tracks.
- My initial impressions are telling me I enjoy this slightly more than 'Eater of Birds' and slightly less than 'Gin.' But it's as different from either as 'Gin' is from 'Eater of Birds' so the comparison isn't necessarily warranted for any reason other than their being Cobalt albums.

I had HIGH expectations, and I can't say I'm disappointed. I'll be listening to this for awhile. So many good moments.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 am 

Possibly my album of the year so far. I agree with dystopia that it's basically not black metal, it's some sort of very riffy southern influenced blackened crust/sludge and it's totally awesome. It fits the current metallic hardcore movement where there's a thin line between metal and pv/crust/hc/whatever but it's still Cobalt and original. There's no bad moments, even the shorter interludes like "Animal Law" or "Breath" are great.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next