Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:12 am 

"167,467 people like this"

Can you say "paid likes?"

I mean, if you are gonna go ahead and buy likes on FB, at least try and be discreet about it. Holy shit, I know they aren't that well-known due to their reviews on here, although I'm sure that gives them a little notoriety...

https://www.facebook.com/thrashordie.fl/?fref=ts

"How can you tell?" One might ask. Well, some of their recent posts get less actual/legit likes than MY personal facebook posts. What a crock...
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:44 am 

I stopped to believe in "likes" since i have seen things like the Evil Lucifera facebook page... Check that out, you will burst in laughter!
Their videos have more likes than views!

thesilentenigma
Puddlemonkey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:15 am 

I'm so tr00 and kvlt I have no idea what you two are referring to.

No Mosh
No Core
No Trends
No Facebook

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:25 am 

Nah, it's a great tool if used correctly.. Pages like the Blut Aus Nord one are awesome: he posts very frequently music he likes and he has some of the best musical taste i've ever witnessed, both in and outside metal!

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 am 

Is Thrash or Die really even that bad?

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:23 pm 

Is it possible some people like it as an expression or a movement but don't really care anything about the band?

And they did have that comedic video, right? Let's not assume most metal fans care about music and aren't blown away by superficial stuff.

But yeah, I see a lot of apparent like-buying out there.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:02 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
Nah, it's a great tool if used correctly.. Pages like the Blut Aus Nord one are awesome: he posts very frequently music he likes and he has some of the best musical taste i've ever witnessed, both in and outside metal!

Wait..... I tried looking for Blut Aus Nord's page and only the wiki one showed up! WHERE IS IT!

Paganitzu
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:11 pm 

https://www.facebook.com/blutausnord.official

That's one of the annoying things about Facebook- half the time you look up a band you won't even be able to find their page through the search bar. I've had to refer to this site for the proper link many times. And yeah, paid likes are definitely a thing. Pretty obvious when you see pages with over 100,000 likes getting single digit "likes" on their own posts. In fact I would imagine it does more harm than good for any actual fans as far as FB's algorithms deciding who should see a post in the first place.

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:41 pm 

Thank you, this is one of my favorite metal bands but I had very little insight into them outside the actual music, shit I didn't even know where to buy their albums before!

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:12 pm 

i dont know if they paid likes because random people of my friends list liked them...

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 pm 

Paid likes are great....I put $60 towards a podcast I do and got 300-500 likes in a week. I worked for an online retailer once that invested $25 GRAND in facebook marketing and they have MILLIONS of like. You'd think "they can't be real" but I literally watched business triple over a few months. Ridiculous.

ageofdishord
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:05 pm 

They use to post a lot of viral videos and memes.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:11 am 

Paganitzu wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/blutausnord.official

That's one of the annoying things about Facebook- half the time you look up a band you won't even be able to find their page through the search bar. I've had to refer to this site for the proper link many times. And yeah, paid likes are definitely a thing. Pretty obvious when you see pages with over 100,000 likes getting single digit "likes" on their own posts. In fact I would imagine it does more harm than good for any actual fans as far as FB's algorithms deciding who should see a post in the first place.

Yeah, I often have trouble finding bands through the search bar. I always just go into google and type in "band name facebook" and am able to find it pretty easily. I'm surprised Facebook's search function isn't better by now.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:57 am 

MyrVarg wrote:

no, but its by no means outstandingly great either.

I've listened to the "Poser Holocaust" LP and it is pretty much what you can expect from the title: A third rate parody of 1980's style thrash, with third rate Exodus and Overkill riffs, a singer who sounds maybe a bit like Zet from Exodus, and songs about killing posers, zombies, mixin' it up in the pit: you know, basically trying too hard (like a lot of modern thrash bands do) at playing 80's styled speed thrash. Its listenable, but just like you'd expect, its way too generic and forced. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, or give it a "like" or "Dislike."

As for people paying to get "likes" well, thats lame and pathetic. If you want people to like your band so much, write better songs!!

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:59 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
MyrVarg wrote:

no, but its by no means outstandingly great either.

I've listened to the "Poser Holocaust" LP and it is pretty much what you can expect from the title: A third rate parody of 1980's style thrash, with third rate Exodus and Overkill riffs, a singer who sounds maybe a bit like Zet from Exodus, and songs about killing posers, zombies, mixin' it up in the pit: you know, basically trying too hard (like a lot of modern thrash bands do) at playing 80's styled speed thrash. Its listenable, but just like you'd expect, its way too generic and forced. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it, or give it a "like" or "Dislike."

As for people paying to get "likes" well, thats lame and pathetic. If you want people to like your band so much, write better songs!!

So basically Fueled by Fire's first album?

Paying for likes, a questionable search function, and deliberately limiting the number of people who see your posts unless you pay them more make Facebook one of the worst sites for music promotion. Bandcamp is pretty great but it's a shame that there's really no other site with anything resembling mass exposure. Shit like this makes me wish I had had a band during the MySpace era...

Something, something, like my band.

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:14 am 

At least Fueled by Fire got out of their poser killing phase pretty quickly, if the looks of their next two albums is anything to go off of. I've only heard Plunging into Darkness and it's been quite a while since I heard it, but if I recall, their production improved a ton and they gave it a rest with some of the typical retro thrash cliches. I wouldn't say it's an album that would change the mind of anyone who already didn't like them, but they're far less shitty than they were.

Thrash or Die's just been shit since day one and I was surprised when I found out most of the members have been around for a while, so they ought to know better than to think the world needed another stereotypical retro thrash album, let alone one of such a high, obnoxious caliber.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:50 am 

Isn't there like an unwritten rule that says you can't put the name of the subgenre in you band name ? No ? Maybe people think it's one of those 'facebook groups' . That could kinda explain it, but what I'm really wondering is, what the hell is Marquez doing here ??? :-D

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:57 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
Isn't there like an unwritten rule that says you can't put the name of the subgenre in you band name ?

Well, somebody's gonna have to share this bad news with the fifty billion metal bands that have 'black' or 'death' in their names...

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:54 pm 

Machine_Dead wrote:
Isn't there like an unwritten rule that says you can't put the name of the subgenre in you band name ? No ?

Chuck's not gonna take this shit...

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:51 am 

considering death are pioneers of generic death metal.

XcKyle93
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:26 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

According to who? You and the geniuses at ANUS?

The band that I am/was in opened for them in DC a while ago. They were pretty funny guys who could play well, but uh, yeah, definitely not my favorite thrash band ever...

Niklas Sanger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:15 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:

Generic as in increasingly evolving in a progressive direction with every album?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:22 am 

I thought this was a well known fact. I'm sure you can attribute some of this to paid likes, but I was under the impression that most people liked the page for its "internet culture" content and not so much the band itself. I would never underestimate the ability for memes to popularize a page. Rings of Saturn set a good example and a lot of bands have become successful following that (except ROS was one of the few instances in which the content was actually funny. Years ago it was anyway).

also BURN at the Death comment.

tomcat_ha

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 pm 

well if you leave a fruit outside it changes progressively too.
doesnt mean its really getting any better.

CloggedUrethra
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 am 

I'd assume paid likes are just a part of the marketing strategy for popular bands like these.

~Guest 298739
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:13 pm 

I think this would be better fit as a tweet than a thread...

MetalCrest of Darkness
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:54 pm 

Facebook likes do not translate into record sales, or albums sales. If Thrash or Die or Warbringer, had campagins to raise money for tours, traveling expenses or record a album with funds from a fund raiser. I know Thrash or Die, had have little or no money in those fundraisers, while I believe Warbringer has enough fans if there record contract expires, they could get enough money, to record a album and sell it or give it to the fans, if they ever did the fund raiser. Facebook likes mean nothing, I see bands with 37 MILLION likes, but if they release a album, it may sell 500,000 albums overall. I only use the like function for the 700 artist who albums I am ACTUALLY going to buy in 2016...etc. I never in 2016. Click "like" for a band who I used to like before they became washed out or ate-up, and release albums just to fulfill a record contract, because they ran out of ideas, and conviction and talent. My CD budget these days is pretty low these days, around $600 dollars a month, I never download music. But when I attend concerts I try to bring around $500 to $1000 a concert. And buy lots of merchandise.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:33 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
"167,467 people like this"
Can you say "paid likes?"
I mean, if you are gonna go ahead and buy likes on FB, at least try and be discreet about it. Holy shit, I know they aren't that well-known due to their reviews on here, although I'm sure that gives them a little notoriety...
https://www.facebook.com/thrashordie.fl/?fref=ts
"How can you tell?" One might ask. Well, some of their recent posts get less actual/legit likes than MY personal facebook posts. What a crock...

Facebook is shit. Who cares?

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:17 pm 

wait...Metalcrest of Darkness, you bring five hundred to a thousand dollars with you to a concert?? I'd imagine you could buy a LOT of merchandise with that kind of dough.
I tend to have limited funds too, and pick and choose what CD's to buy- usually I'll listen to it before deciding to buy it. Although I have never spent $600 a month on CD's- I'm guessing, it sounds like you make quite a bit more money than I do. Thrash or Die would NOT be on my CD want list. WarBringer, well, I'd be far more likely to spend money on one of their discs.

And I never pay attention to facebook likes either. I'm not even ON facebook, and plenty of people like me.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.