Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:45 pm 

I find Bates Motel intriguing. The show can very addictive to me sometimes. Masters of Sex isn't bad either.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:43 am 

True Detective episode 6

Spoiler: show
Good episode, the infiltration of the high end party felt like a Bond movie, great ending with the car running off and The Black Angels playing.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:48 pm 

So, Mr. Robot, S01E06, happened. I was just able to check it out tonight. Wow, what an episode. There was a lot more swerving, misdirection and way more emotion.

I'm really enjoying how the story veers between larger, grander plot points, and then immediately rope directly into a smaller, more personal story or event which keeps everything cohesive and tight. My original fear was the show was going to go the way of an Ocean's 11, where the entire season becomes about the "score" or the "job". There's still a semblance of that, but it feels more "day in the life" which keeps everything feeling smaller and more direct in terms of impact, especially on Elliot.

EDIT: I completely rewrote this post to tighten it up.

Last edited by ~Guest 98976 on Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:18 pm 

Mr Robot is the best thing on TV right now. Anyone checked out Humans? I couldn't get the first ep to play, not sure if I should "hunt it down with fuller force" or not.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:44 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Mr Robot is the best thing on TV right now.

I like bits and pieces of it. it feels like it could've been a nice book or movie, as it has that 'Project Mayhem' vibe about it. but it also seems to me like they're stringing it out a little, as if they know they're going to run out of clever content pretty quickly.

waiguoren wrote:
Anyone checked out Humans? I couldn't get the first ep to play, not sure if I should "hunt it down with fuller force" or not.

did you get that 265 encoded one that most players don't grok? (instead of standard 264)
apparently the normal torrents are getting shut down pretty hard for some reason.

Humans is pretty disappointing to me so far. it seems like one of those shows that doesn't respect its audience or have high aspirations.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:52 am 

Erotetic wrote:

did you get that 265 encoded one that most players don't grok? (instead of standard 264)
apparently the normal torrents are getting shut down pretty hard for some reason.

Humans is pretty disappointing to me so far. it seems like one of those shows that doesn't respect its audience or have high aspirations.

Could be, couldn't find a plug-in for it so just deleted it. Well, Humans is a remake of a Swedish show, although I think it is written by the same guy? So it's basically self-plagiarism, which is always tricky - are you self-plagiarizing because you are too lazy to copy someone else, or are you doing it because you will only copy the best?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:47 am 

waiguoren wrote:
Mr Robot is the best thing on TV right now.

:beer: Yep, it's great. Episode 6, like FD said wasn't quite part of the main story but shit it was dramatic, truly well written and shocking. I think it will make Elliott realized the powers he has at his disposal and how much they can affect the world.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:41 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Episode 6, like FD said wasn't quite part of the main story but shit it was dramatic, truly well written and shocking. I think it will make Elliott realized the powers he has at his disposal and how much they can affect the world.

Kind of. While it didn't have Elliot going after Evil Corp, it had Angela doing so, albeit in a more direct manner than Elliot and his "crew".

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:49 pm 

Anyone know any good short tv shows, any genre, around the range of 15 to 20 minutes? I'm sick of 55 minute length reels of filler that's so often present with new tv shows becoming a marathon I've not the time to sit through.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:53 pm 

I seriously doubt thus will fall into the realm of what you're looking for but M*A*S*H is one of my all time favorite shows (I'm currently rewatching it myself on nextflix) and all the episodes clock in right around 24 minutes.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:36 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Anyone know any good short tv shows, any genre, around the range of 15 to 20 minutes? I'm sick of 55 minute length reels of filler that's so often present with new tv shows becoming a marathon I've not the time to sit through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFyknxWCrkA

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:45 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

Peep Show might have eight "seasons," but each episode is like 20 minutes long and there are only 6 eps per season.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:48 pm 

waiguoren wrote:
volutetheswarth wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFyknxWCrkA

Dammit I watched that ep and enjoyed it.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:08 am 

waiguoren wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFyknxWCrkA Dammit I watched that ep and enjoyed it.
^Get a load of Mr. Swedish Chef from The Muppets.

Think about it.
darkeningday wrote:
Peep Show might have eight "seasons," but each episode is like 20 minutes long and there are only 6 eps per season.
Nice, as with most British tv. On a similar note you reminded me of Spaced which was 25 minutes an episode and Nick Frost/Simon Pegg at their peak.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:36 am 

Spaced is awesome. Fawlty Towers maybe? As far as sitcoms with laugh-tracks go, that's about the best ever. And it clocks in at a whopping 12 episodes in total.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am 

darkeningday wrote:

I tried that but couldn't get through the first minute. (but I will persist one day, since I still have every ep!)

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:36 am 

Honestly, the pilot of Peep Show is pretty awful... It got a lot better quickly, though.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:30 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:

As an Aussie you might get a kick out of Flight of the Conchords. Black musical comedy, takes the piss out of New Zealanders a lot and is far superior to other TV mockumentaries such as Parks & Recreation and the Office.

And speaking of old British comedies, I just had a first-time run through of Only Fools and Horses and it's right up there with Fawlty Towers and Blackadder. Great, great stuff and strangely underrated.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:12 am 

^ Thanks for the recs, Only Fools and Horses brushed under my radar but watching clips now and am impressed.

I'm slightly familiar with Flight of the Conchords but I'll give it a look see, along with essentials I've neglected to watch like Arrested Development.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 pm 

Just watched the newest True Detective episode.
Fuck.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 am 

Expedience wrote:
As an Aussie you might get a kick out of Flight of the Conchords. Black musical comedy, takes the piss out of New Zealanders a lot and is far superior to other TV mockumentaries such as Parks & Recreation and the Office.

Original Office is still king, but FotC isn't mockumentary in the same way Parks & Office is. Conchords is a lot closer to something like Party Down, which is also really good and worth watching for smart comedies. One of the only American ones I truly love.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:20 am 

I almost lost it at the end of True Detective S02E07. Jesus.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:56 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Expedience wrote:

Original Office is still king, but FotC isn't mockumentary in the same way Parks & Office is. Conchords is a lot closer to something like Party Down, which is also really good and worth watching for smart comedies. One of the only American ones I truly love.

I'd say that's what saves it. Parks is absolutely cringeworthy to watch and doesn't hold a candle to the dry, uniquely British humor of the original Office. US TV should have steered well clear of that style.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:07 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:

what part of the end? I'm feeling pretty detached from this whole season. may as well have been an episode of Alias or something.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:30 pm 

Meditari wrote:
Just watched the newest True Detective episode.
Fuck.

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:41 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:

Heard that.
I liked Paul, but watching him die was hard. :(

Season finale next week is 90 minutes. Hopefully it'll carry the momentum of the last few episodes.

Obligatory Last FM Link

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:49 pm 

Honestly I'm not even sure I care about the main plot at this point, but the characters are interesting and the things that happen to them are exciting and the acting is great - the whole scene where Frank dealt with his traitorous underling was fantastic. I've kind of given up on expecting this season to be the "full package" that the first season was, and the occult stuff has been almost entirely dropped since the weird crow mask guy, but it's a very entertaining cop thriller show with a darker edge than usual, and that's fine by me.

Maybe the season finale will suddenly reveal a whole world of weirdness we've only gotten the tiniest glimpses of so far, but we'll just have to find out, I guess.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:53 pm 

I just kinda wish...
...we got some of the more revelatory stuff an episode or two earlier, or at least planted the seeds for it. For example, the Russians should've returned an episode or two earlier. Maybe they show up and it's all, "why are you guys back?", and then the revelation hits in episode 7 as it does. But maybe it only works because of the immediacy of the revelations and the following shit everybody is in now. Not sure.

Failsafe...
I have to agree. It's clear it was never about the details. Stuff that was being driven towards in the beginning episodes aren't even a prospect now, it seems to be more on how everybody is reacting and what their plan is to get out of the shit.

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 pm 

I like how the story has evolved, specifically the blue diamonds and the orphans, who I assume are behind Caspere's murderer, especially after the revelation of Erica/Laura working as his secretary. But as said, the characters are compelling and interesting, and I'll be shocked if the finale is a bust. I do miss the occult stuff a bit, but I'm glad this season has set up its own lore without piggybacking off the first season's structure.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:48 am 

wait has it gotten better since episode 5? I watched it with a friend and we both decided mid-episode to give up on the show.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

GuntherTheUndying

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:49 am 

Yes, the last few episodes have been fantastic, better than the others. Keep in mind I thought it was fine to begin with, so perhaps I'm bias, but the last few episodes have been really gripping.

Obligatory Last FM Link

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:59 am 

Yeah, the momentum's really picked up since the middle of the season. I've also been on the positive side of the fence about this season from the outset; it hasn't been as undeniably amazing as the first, but it's still the best detective series going right now and just a really well made show in general. I'm sure as hell looking forward to
the rampage that looks about to ensue. So many characters on a fatal edge right now, and with so few allies…really curious to know who'll make it through.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:21 am 

I just watched through most of that Wet Hot American Summer show (two episodes left). It started out pretty weak. Not bad or anything, but just not all that funny. About halfway through the season it really started to pick up and by this point in the season I'd say it's definitely on par with the original movie. If you liked the movie at all but were unsure how well they'd do with a TV show just give it a shot. Only eight episodes at less than thirty minutes apiece.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:47 pm 

Just watched Jon Stewart's final episode of The Daily Show. What a beautiful end to his run, truly. Typically I hate finalies but this one was done so well and with all his emotional in the end you can't help but love the send off. End of an era.

Azmodes wrote:

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:55 pm 

I'll have to check out a rerun or something, he's so legit and authentic. Colbert, Ed Helms, and the dozens of other guys that started there would have been nothing without Jon Stewart.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:04 pm 

Ohh for sure, plus a great many I honestly didn't even know had been a part of the show. I tried to find it on YouTube cause my dvr actually cut if off about 45 seconds to soon :fuck: but didn't have any luck so hopefully you can find it.

Azmodes wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:02 am 

Alright, was feeling like a lazy bastard so I marathoned all of True Detective S2 (other than episode 8 of course) today. I think I agree with the sentiment that it's not *quite* as good as the first season, but it's still good as hell. I really like that they were able to totally change the cast and the location and change the atmosphere of the show to suit the new setting while still retaining that True Detective feel. A few episodes were fairly slow but others were oozing with action and drama so I'm excited to see how everything plays out in the finale.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:57 am 

Yeah. Some of the atmosphere in season 2 is just kind of a reversal of season 1 I think. Season 1 was mostly shot in the light, season 2 in darkness, 1 was mostly in a rural area, the other in an urban area, etc. But the essence and impossibly large scale of corruption is still there, even though expressed in different vices. Both seasons are drenched in so much utter despair and hopelessness that gets worse as the main mystery of the story become clear, and the philosophic side of the show is still there except it's inserted a bit more visually this time around rather than through Rust's monologues and conversations with Marty, which makes sense being by none of our characters (maybes besides Frank) think about their life in the same self-aware way Rust did, and none of them reveal their most internal feelings and thoughts as easily as he did. I'm not really sure how our anti-heroes are going to get out of this one, though. Also, I am irrationally excited about our 90-minute finale tonight!

At this point, with how everything has turned out so far, I like this season on pretty much the same level as the last.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:39 pm 

I've always been a bigger fan of personal drama, demons and conflicts, so I felt pretty disconnected from S01 of True Detective. It was beautifully shot, well-paced, but the main drama just felt so esoteric to me. I dropped off (accidently) around the third or fourth episode, but I definitely want to go back to it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:10 am 

FasterDisaster wrote:
I've always been a bigger fan of personal drama, demons and conflicts, so I felt pretty disconnected from S01 of True Detective. It was beautifully shot, well-paced, but the main drama just felt so esoteric to me. I dropped off (accidently) around the third or fourth episode, but I definitely want to go back to it.

Not sure I follow here, since that's what S1 was to me? Personal drama. I thought the main plot was pretty weak and felt like they basically forgot about it until the last episode, otherwise it focused far more on how fucked up the two main characters were in an awesome way. The last episode was pretty Texas Chainsaw Massacre-ish in a good way though.

The Killing is way more plot heavy and might be why I prefer it. I think it had some of the same staff between these two.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87 ... 182  Next