Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:13 am 

Shit, I thought Cannibal Ox had a big falling out and broke up. Going to have to get myself a copy of the new one.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

witchbitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:36 am 

[youtube]https://youtu.be/vJwKKKd2ZYE[/youtube]

It's a bummer he's incarcerated at the moment but hey, at least you know he's not fake.

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:34 am 

Quote:

The weather's started to feel like spring here, and I've been driving to school blasting early Scarface all week, the only rapper who can write a line like "I can't talk to my mother so I talk to my diary" and still be gangster as fuck.

That whole album (The Diary) is a masterpiece. It's like Illmatic in a way, only one guest MC for one verse and no skits to speak of. So strong, so dark.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:28 am 

witchbitch wrote:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/vJwKKKd2ZYE[/youtube]

It's a bummer he's incarcerated at the moment but hey, at least you know he's not fake.

This was hilarious. Some kind of genius, Andy Kaufmanesque deconstruction of the garbage that modern hip hop has become. I really liked his faggy dance too!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:11 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
This was hilarious. Some kind of genius, Andy Kaufmanesque deconstruction of the garbage that modern hip hop has become. I really liked his faggy dance too!

If you thought that was funny, see him doing his dance in front of label executives

When i see these rappers, they remind me Sean Price's lines from the 22 second mark

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:21 pm 

Hahah oh my GOD I had to turn that dancing video off immediately. That makes my skin crawl. I mean he is literally soft shoeing for a room full of white people. So gross.

Yeah, this is EXACTLY the kind of artist he's talking about. That original Schmurda video is just too funny to me. I've watched it at least 4 times. All those finger guns...so many finger guns...

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:34 pm 

So supposedly (really hoping this isn't a hoax), Non Phixion is doing a anniversary tour? I thought there was tons of bad blood between some of those guys so I was super hesitant to believe it but everyone I know whose opinion about hip hop I respect is telling me it's true! And I'm lucky enough to have them swing through my town in April. So fucking cool.

Lamar's new album is pretty cool. Some of the stuff comes off as a bit too experimental and doesn't achieve great songs, but I appreciate the desire to play it outside the box. The more straight up rap/hip hop sections are on point, though.

Right now I'd probably say Mad Child is my favourite. Dope Sick was amazing and Lawn Mower Man and his recent Switched On EP are both pretty great (Switched On does feel a bit stale at times). He's just got such a good flow, yeah he recycles rhymes but his flow is always really satisfying.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:39 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
Hahah oh my GOD I had to turn that dancing video off immediately. That makes my skin crawl. I mean he is literally soft shoeing for a room full of white people. So gross.

Yeah, this is EXACTLY the kind of artist he's talking about. That original Schmurda video is just too funny to me. I've watched it at least 4 times. All those finger guns...so many finger guns...

:lol:
More people have been shot with finger guns than with real ones

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:43 pm 

I wonder if celph titled's ever gonna release that second album. I think it was supposed to come out in like 2011 and it's just been pushed back ever since. I know he does alotta stuff with AOTP and that Demigodz group, but damn.

Oh, and any opinions on that odd future group? I can't stand Tyler the collector but Earl Sweatshirt's stuff is actually kinda cool.

Slaytanic55
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:19 am 

I guess it's not 'hip hop' in the most traditional sense, but I feel I have to give a mention to Death Grips. The new album sounds awesome and I'm super stoked to see them in June.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:46 am 

I keep hearing good stuff about Death Grips' new album but I haven't listened to it yet, I should probably do that at some point.
I've been listening to Earl Sweatshirt's new album a lot this week, it's a lot like Doris but more darker and "mature" (I hate describing music with that word, but it's kinda fitting for once). Apparently he's cut ties with that odd future group, I never really cared for anyone else in that collective. Earl seemed like the only genuinely dark rapper in the midst of a bunch of pseudo horrocore rappers. I Don't like Shit, I Don't go Outside sounds as depressive and dark as the album title would imply.
Faucet is probably my favorite track right now

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:55 am 

I've yet to seriously get into deathgrips, even though they are widely acclaimed, I find them tough to listen to.

Action Bronson's newest album is pretty dope. The beats are out of control.

Odin AllFather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:34 pm 

see ive always likes rap when i was young i listened to a lot of 2pac, wu-tang, eminem, etc.

now that im older i appreciate people with musical talent and people who put a lot of work into their music (which is why im becoming more obsessed with metal).

Now there are a few rappers i respect. the main one these days worth mentioning is kendrick lamar - hes very talented and cares about his music.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:09 am 

The first time I heard Action Bronson I thought he was doing a collab with Ghostface or somethin..

Just found out this other sick Bosnian rapper called Genocide just put out a new album late last year. He's got some really amazing beats and instrumentals, but he's kinda fallen into that Vinnie Paz clique of some hair-brained Alex Jones theory shit that I could care less about in between some pretty sick tracks about Bosnia and Islam, not to mention some pretty good guest appearances, somehow rap in Slavic languages just sounds cooler than English. His flow and delivery are second to none and has an undeniably old school feel to it, and it's impossible to find anywhere online for less than $9.99.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:13 am 

that album's way more slick than I'd have expected!

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:43 pm 

@Jonpo, did you hear Sean Price is dead? :(
And i was anticipating his new EP.
Man, i'm sad for real. I've listened to him so much, for so long, it feels like i know him personally.
Effortless multi-syllabic rhymes, incredibly funny, yet hard as fuck.
R.I.P Big Ruck, one of my all time favorites.

RapeTheDead
Stoned Jesus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:01 am 

RIP Sean P. So oddly unexpected. I always thought he fuckin' killed it on this opening verse. Really poetic yet colloquial and cold tone to the flow. Vinnie Paz probably has some of his best lines he ever spit in this song, too. Yet another genuinely talented rapper taken from us too soon.

SKYLESS AEONS
SENTIMENT DISSOLVE
HELL IS OTHER PEOPLE

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:37 am 

fuck, that's shitty :(

RIP.
respect.
on with the tribute:

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:49 am 

@RapeTheDead
Oddly unexpected indeed. That was literally one of the last things i expected to hear. Man I love that song, one of Paz' best verses for sure.

@Erotetic
Nice selection right there :np:. It's my first time hearing that 7eventhirty joint.
Boom bye yeah is a Sean P classic.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 am 

Aha. Didn't know there was a thread about my other main love in life.

I'm devastated about Sean P. I'll be listening to Monkey Barz every day for a while now. Absolute stonker of an album.

I've also been rinsing Dre's Compton since it came out on Friday. On something like my tenth listen now and it's just grown and grown. Hugely diverse selections of excellent tunes. Granted, the production (which is stellar) outdoes the rhyming on many songs but Dre and co still hold their own with some good verses. Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dogg and Eminem's guest verses really shine too (Eminem's one is probably the most thrilling I've heard him sound in a long time). It's absolutely the album I've been waiting 16 years for. Both as summation of his career and relevant to the modern scene.

Now, I want to bring something potentially controversial to this here thread. I don't know if any of ya listen to British hip-hop at all but I'm a huge fan myself and want to represent some of my favourites. A lot of people criticise this sort of thing since they don't associate Britain with the hip-hop spirit etc. etc. but honestly, the country has a lot to give the genre.

So here are a few of the biggest in the underground scene right now (spearheaded by High Focus, an incredible label that is on the rise):

Psychedelic hip-hop from Jam Baxter:

Eccentric alternative hip-hop from Dizraeli and the Small Gods:

Good vibes from The Four Owls (produced by DJ Premier):

London's most stoned, Fliptrix:

Hugely expressive poetry from Edward Scissortongue:

And finally the legend that is Chester P:

Hope ya enjoy some of those. Just some examples of the thriving underground scene over here right now.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:43 pm 

I'm so pumped to check out Compton, haven't had a chance to yet, but it's gotten such great reviews... The Chronic 2001 is one of those albums for me that just transcends genre for me, one of my favourite and most memorable albums of all time.

The new ASAP Rocky album was pretty decent too, there were some stinkers in there, though, but the really good songs (the opening three especially) are fantastic. Vince Staples' Summertime '06 has been my absolute favourite so far, though, probably like it better than Lamar's (it's close), although I have to admit it took a while for it to grow on me. Plus Vince just seems like a straight up good dude, he's funny as fuck too. Any thoughts on these two?

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:29 pm 

PvtNinjer wrote:
I'm so pumped to check out Compton, haven't had a chance to yet, but it's gotten such great reviews... The Chronic 2001 is one of those albums for me that just transcends genre for me, one of my favourite and most memorable albums of all time.

The new ASAP Rocky album was pretty decent too, there were some stinkers in there, though, but the really good songs (the opening three especially) are fantastic. Vince Staples' Summertime '06 has been my absolute favourite so far, though, probably like it better than Lamar's (it's close), although I have to admit it took a while for it to grow on me. Plus Vince just seems like a straight up good dude, he's funny as fuck too. Any thoughts on these two?

Compton is pretty good man. You know To Pimp A Butterfly is already being considered a masterpiece!? I've heard that Summertime '06 is excellent. I haven't got a good listen of the album yet so I can't give a opinion.

Oh, and by the way, the new Trae Tha Truth album is out.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm 

Beer Baron wrote:
@Jonpo, did you hear Sean Price is dead? :(

It was a surprise to me, but I don't know why, the more I thought about it. He rapped constantly about mixing really hard drugs, pills, liquor. He talked about smoking crack as well as selling it. I'm not that surprised he died in his sleep I guess. He wouldn't want anyone to say RIP. He was a villain to the end. I believe he was the best rapper ever, personally.

Morton Salt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:15 am 

Just copped these albums on cassette from Amazon for cheap.

Been digging the 90's Rap-a-Lot/Houston rap scene for a minute, anyone else a fan?

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 pm 

I'm a fan of Geto Boys, Scarface solo stuff and the Chopped and Screwed style in general. I don't know other Rap-A-Lot artists specifically.
I can spend some time with Trap music, mainly because of the amazing production, but the MCing lets it down often.
Maybe the world will revert back to the Dark Ages in that sense. Like, 100 years from now, "Enter Sandman" will just be a folk song that anyone can play at any time and that no one in particular will own the rights to.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:58 pm 

Dhranna, you need to check out S.U.C, if you haven't heard about the group already. I know you're from the UK so I'll take a shot you may not have heard of DJ Screw. I'll Recommend you some Screw tapes: DJ Screw - Ain't No Sleepin' (Big Wood Personal Tape), DJ Screw - Who Next Wit Plex, DJ Screw - Da Funk Is On Your Mind. DJ Screw - Leanin' On A Switch, DJ Screw - Codeine Fiend, DJ Screw - Sippin' Codeine. There's also a song from a Screw mixtape called Gangsta Strut/You Can't See Me. I believe that particular song is on The Next Episode tape; I can go as far as saying that it's the best Screwed song I've ever heard. One last thing, if you get a chance to listen to Ain't No Sleeping', wait for the Big Pokey freestyle on Down Wit My Nig**. He really beasts on that track.

For some reason I got a little excited when I saw your message. I'm from the area where the style of the H-Town rap originated.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:12 pm 

I found out Sean Price died in the worst way possible, through a Vice article link yesterday. Dude wasn't all that old and in pretty decent shape, just came outta nowhere sorta like when Lord Infamous died. I only started getting into his music lately after seeing you guys post some song links on here.

I didn't really give Vince Staples' Summertime 06 a good chance, listened to like the first 3 tracks and decided it wasn't as good as Hell can Wait. I'm probably gonna end up re-listening to that later tonight.

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:11 pm 

came on here expecting a terrible discussion but i'm really surprised and happy to see houston getting love. everybody should listen to big moe's city of syrup album at least once. Probably my favorite hip hop release, but maybe it's just because i'm from houston.

should i bother checking out compton? i know eminem is on it and i can't stand anything that's ever came out of his mouth.

the_bard_of_osyrhia
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:44 pm 

Compton's pretty excellent on the whole. Fantastic and very diverse production and some great, though often simplistic, verses too. Lyrically it's Dre looking back over his career as well as writing a fair deal of straight up brag material. Eminem's only on one song so he certainly shouldn't ruin the experience for you.

http://www.last.fm/user/Argaalofthemyst

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3