Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
fourrobert13
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am 

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megade ... evealed-2/

Looks good and I hope it's not another Super Collider.

Lagartija
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:56 am 

"05. Me Hate You" :durr:
I very much doubt I will be at all interested in this, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:20 am 

The titles are predictably awful but the actual article makes me slightly optimistic, which is stunning considering the band. It sounds like Dave has loosened up and allowed Chris and Kiko to write, which is exactly what Megadeth needs more than anything. That, coupled with how he seems annoyed with how popular Rust in Peace is, makes me think this'll be somewhere between United Abominations and Endgame.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:05 am 

I CANNOT WAIT TO READ "POST AMERICAN WORLD"'S LYRICS. Mustaine is such a nut-job that that song can only be gold. But, yeah, that article actually made me kind of excited - seems like a lot of different ideas swirling around there.

But....

"the part that [Kiko] played is very Chopin-meets-MEGADETH, if that makes sense." :puke:

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Folkemon_
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am 

Hmm 2 covers, has there ever been a good album with 2 covers on it?

Napalm_Satan
Ever-Opening Flower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:56 am 

I feel as though we will get an album that is even more inconsistent than Super Collider. Titles like 'Conquer... Or Die!' (the ellipses! They're back!) along with the same boneheaded tripe as 'Me Hate You'.
Nice to see a cover from Budgie in there, though. If it is anything like the Thin Lizzy cover from the last album it will be cool.

Folkemon_ wrote:

Some versions of Anthrax's Persistence Of Time contain covers of Discharge's 'Protest And Survive' and Joe Jackson's 'Got The Time'. That album was awesome, to my mind at least.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:18 am 

Folkemon_ wrote:

When I bought "Kill em All" in the 80s it came with "Blitzkrieg" and "Am I Evil".

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:24 pm 

90% of those look like new Slayer songs and vice versa. Hopefully its the best album in at least 20 years.

InnesI
The Goat Fucker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:02 pm 

This can go either way but I'm sure its better and will feel more relevant that Super Collider. Mustaine hasn't felt inspired in quite some time now but he always has the ability in him. Megadeth is my favourite band of all time so I always look forward to anything they release. I just hope I won't be disappointed like with the last three records.
I've also been called a satanist, communist, right wing, nazi-apologist, conservative dipshit, muslim (lover), PC, feminist, neoliberal, boot licker, verbal masturbator and an eternal low-key fascist enabler! Please add your projection too.
Ad hominem

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:10 pm 

Well, it doesn't look good. I don't think Megadeth fucks up often, but right now my spidey sense tells me it's going to suck. I'm still eager to hear it and hope to be proven wrong.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:35 pm 

I for one, am getting quite optimistic. An interview a while back said that Chris had a lot of involvement in making it more thrashy. Chris made it clear from the beginning that he didn't want to participate if they made something remotely similar to Super Collider. I don't know if this was in an interview or in the Chris Adler Cyberarmy livechat, but for example; Dave wanted to make the Budgie cover at first similar to the original. But Chris talked him into adding double bass and make it more 'Megadeth'.

I also see the Pledge updates because I'm an cyberarmy member and while the pieces are short and not always good quility, it seems the riffs are way sharper, heavy and faster than what they did on the last few albums. A lot reminded me of things coming off the first 5 albums.
But there was also a slide-guitar solo. Don't know what to think off that. Could have left that off the album imo.

Also, I've seen some videos of their live performance in Quebec with Kiko and Chris. And while you definitely can notice that their two new guys, there's way more energy going on than with Broderick and Drover. Saw them two times with the last line-up. And while the second time was better (they also played better songs the second time), Drovers drumming is so god damn boring.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:50 pm 

So, a few things right off the top:

1. Looking at the fact there's 13 original songs, I am nearly convinced there's going to be a few 3:00 minute-long thrashers sloshing around, To me, that possibly says Dave & Co. know how to really trim the fat.

2.Sonically, if this is as good as Thirteen, I will be happy. Thirteen is their next best after Endgame, and until I hear something official, I think asking this to be on par with Endgame is a bit of a stretch. Angra is a heavy metal band, and I'm totally not opposed to some mid-paced action as long as it's catchy / groovy and fits within the context of the song. Dave Mustaine rarely writes a half-good song. The song is either a good song or a bad song, full-stop.

3. Realistically, this can't be any worse than Super Collider. The only thing worse than Super Collider is Risk, and you need a special kind of shitty to top either of those.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:01 pm 

If Adler was finally able to not only give Mustaine the reality check he's deserved but also got it to register and take to heart, then this might be worthwhile. Not great, but better than what there's been for a long time.

With Toby Wright producing and Josh Wilbur mixing, at least it'll sound different tonally than the last four(!) albums, which already have strikes against them for being practically the same thing rewritten over and over again, never mind the weird rhythm guitars and overall awkward digital vibes.

The lyrics, subject matter, and vocals are entirely non-factors at this point. None of them have been utilized properly in years so there's no use in caring one way or the other. Shut up and play your guitar, Dave. That's when you've been at your best.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

I Am the Law
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm 

Jasper92 wrote:
I for one, am getting quite optimistic. An interview a while back said that Chris had a lot of involvement in making it more thrashy. Chris made it clear from the beginning that he didn't want to participate if they made something remotely similar to Super Collider. I don't know if this was in an interview or in the Chris Adler Cyberarmy livechat, but for example; Dave wanted to make the Budgie cover at first similar to the original. But Chris talked him into adding double bass and make it more 'Megadeth'.

I also see the Pledge updates because I'm an cyberarmy member and while the pieces are short and not always good quility, it seems the riffs are way sharper, heavy and faster than what they did on the last few albums. A lot reminded me of things coming off the first 5 albums.
But there was also a slide-guitar solo. Don't know what to think off that. Could have left that off the album imo.

Also, I've seen some videos of their live performance in Quebec with Kiko and Chris. And while you definitely can notice that their two new guys, there's way more energy going on than with Broderick and Drover. Saw them two times with the last line-up. And while the second time was better (they also played better songs the second time), Drovers drumming is so god damn boring.

Forgive me for being a pessimist but I'm pretty sure they've said similar things about almost every album since The World Needs A Hero. I'll believe it when I hear it.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:14 pm 

I doubt it'll be a the return to the classic quality like Overkills latest 3 albums were.

gabber
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:34 pm 

Currently, the most horrendously inconsistent band on the planet.

15 tracks... I become all prejudiced when I see that... to me anything between 8 and 10 is ideal. 15??! I guess I grew up in the 80's when all of the best albums had a maximum of 10 tracks. I don't like the look of 15. They tend to drag.

FasterDisaster wrote:
Realistically, this can't be any worse than Super Collider. The only thing worse than Super Collider is Risk, and you need a special kind of shitty to top either of those.

I know. I have had to deal with self hate for almost two decades because I love 'Breadline'. Yes throw things at me, call me lame. It's embarrassing. So because Super Collider didn't have a Breadline, it is for me even worse than Risk.

I will please entry anus
Oh my god! Give me spicy pussy
Pussy is good smell
Shit is bad smell

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:08 pm 

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm getting the impression that it'll be heavier and just about anything would be better than Super Collider short of an attempt at aping Lulu...

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 pm 

I generally agree that 15 tracks is a bit too many for one album. Sure he may have "trimmed the fat" in terms of song structures/lengths but its really only punk/hardcore bands (and grindcore bands to a lesser extent, in the rare cases where their music is good enough) that can get away with that many songs on an album. I still get the sinking feeling it will be very inconsistent in terms of song quality though.

Sadly, to me, Megadeth hasn't been relevant in almost 20 years. Dave Mustaine has become speed metal's version of Ted Nugent- An obnoxious blowhard who loves to hear himself spout controversial shit, but he is still a heck of a guitarist- once in a great while anyway.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38 pm 

15 tracks? I already know it will have plenty of filler and I'm not really sure if there'll be any really good tracks. Maybe good drumming and solos but songs? Dave said the SC material reminded him to KIMB so no, it won't sound remotely like proper Megadeth.

Saw this in a comment, found it funny:

01. Taco From Within
02. Fatal Taco Illusion
03. Conquer Tacos... Or Die!
04. Tacos In State
05. Taco Hate You
06. The Emperor's New Tacos
07. Dystacopia
08. Taco To The Brain
09. Last Dying Taco
10. Post Taco World
11. Look Who's Taco
12. The Taco Is Real
13. Poisonous Tacos
14. Melt The Taco Away (BUDGIE cover)
15. Foreign Taco Policy (FEAR cover)

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:40 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I generally agree that 15 tracks is a bit too many for one album. Sure he may have "trimmed the fat" in terms of song structures/lengths but its really only punk/hardcore bands (and grindcore bands to a lesser extent, in the rare cases where their music is good enough) that can get away with that many songs on an album. I still get the sinking feeling it will be very inconsistent in terms of song quality though.

Sadly, to me, Megadeth hasn't been relevant in almost 20 years. Dave Mustaine has become speed metal's version of Ted Nugent- An obnoxious blowhard who loves to hear himself spout controversial shit, but he is still a heck of a guitarist- once in a great while anyway.

Just wanna say my all time favorite Thrash album has 17 tracks on it ofcourse it was original released as a demo still point being 15 tracks isn't too much by any means.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:31 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:

When I bought "Kill em All" in the 80s it came with "Blitzkrieg" and "Am I Evil".

Those are US-only bonus tracks so they don't really count. If I was to name a true example of albums with 2 covers that are excellent i'd say the first two Megiddo full lengths ;)

Also, I currently have no intention of buying this or even bothering to listen to it. If the responses when it drops are mostly that of gobsmacked surprise at how great it is I may reconsider but as of now, post-Endgame Megadeth holds no interest for me whatsoever.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 pm 

This will be terrible. Based on the song titles and Dave's last few albums, it will be the worst of the worst. Fuck this band. Kiko was better used back on albums like Aurora Consurgens and Aqua - shame he's relegated to this garbage now.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:55 pm 

If it's half as enjoyable as Endgame it will be twice as enjoyable as Super Collider. Obviously we can't expect anything on par with the older albums, but I will be VERY happy with anything as good as Endgame. But, at this point, I'll take what I can get from Megadeth. If it's four or five good tracks, so be it. I'm optimistic though, especially the talk of making a "thrash metal" record.... But talk is cheap, time will tell.

Last edited by ThePoop on Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:39 pm 

Personally, I think that it would be as good, compared to Super Collider, as Death Magnetic was, compared to St. Anger. Or can it be worse... ? :scratch:

Can't be worse like Lulu! Oh, Lulu makes me feel sick... I'm the fucking mistress dread... :puke: :durr:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:50 pm 

I AM THE TABLE

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:52 pm 

Were you like 8 years old when Lulu came out? What's with this weird fascination of yours? It hasn't been trendy or even relevant to so much as mention it in like four years. Only a couple guts will get this, but you're Tomming hardcore right now.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm 

Why do people still care about new albums from these dinosaur bands? They work a lot better as a traveling museum exhibit, playing their good songs in concerts directed at people who didn't get to see them in their prime.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:55 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Why do people still care about new albums from these dinosaur bands?

1. Because they sometimes have some good songs
2. We've heard the old songs 1000 times
3. The new generation of metal hasn't brought the quality like the old school did

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:58 pm 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Why do people still care about new albums from these dinosaur bands? They work a lot better as a traveling museum exhibit, playing their good songs in concerts directed at people who didn't get to see them in their prime.

Optimists always hold out hope that their old heroes can return to form.

Rykov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:09 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
3. The new generation of metal hasn't brought the quality like the old school did

I couldn't disagree more with this sort of attitude. There's plenty of great metal being made by modern metal bands if you're willing to actually give it a try-- certainly stuff that's leagues beyond the drivel the big old school thrash bands are shitting out these days.

For my own part, I honestly didn't bother listening to Supercollider, and I probably won't bother listening to this. I might check it out if the forums are suddenly awash with talk of how much of a departure it is from the steady line of otherwise shitty-to-mediocre albums Megadeth has been pumping out these last 20 years, but then, people also hailed Endgame as a brilliant return to form.

mastamonkeynutz wrote:
Also if you want to make a joke please do so but please put lol after so I can know that Fred Durst isn't really dead.

Temple Of Blood
Old Man Yells at Cloud

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm 

Rykov wrote:
Temple Of Blood wrote:

I couldn't disagree more with this sort of attitude. There's plenty of great metal being made by modern metal bands if you're willing to actually give it a try-- certainly stuff that's leagues beyond the drivel the big old school thrash bands are shitting out these days.

I often give new bands a try and some of it I really like. But rarely do I encounter a thrash metal album from a newer band that is better from front to back than "World Painted Blood" or "Endgame".

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:26 pm 

Temple Of Blood wrote:
1. Because they sometimes have some good songs

They have occasional tolerable songs. If we use the '80s Megadeth, Maiden, Metallica, et al. stuff as the benchmark for "good," there's hardly any old bands hitting that mark with their new stuff (notable exceptions include Saint Vitus, Pentagram, Iron Man, Black Sabbath, and...?).
Temple Of Blood wrote:
2. We've heard the old songs 1000 times

When was the last time Megashit played "The Conjuring," "Five Magics," "Looking down the Cross," etc.?
Temple Of Blood wrote:

Vektor and the first Hexen album are as good as in-their-prime Megadeth, and are actually way more of a fulfilling listen than the "classics" from Testament and Exodus. There are actually about as many good bands today as there were during any given year in the '80s. It's just that there are way too many mediocre bands being promoted for:
a) cloning retro stuff without doing anything interesting
b) having a stupid gimmick that amuses people for a month or so
c) appealing to a niche market
d) having the "right" politics for whoever they're trying to market to
e) being an older band with name recognition that hasn't done anything of note in years
f) "complex" or "open-minded" stuff that makes listeners feel like they are smarter or are "in" on some hidden knowledge

Megadeth has done most (if not all) of these things to massively over-extend their lifespan.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 pm 

Regarding Endgame, how is an album with 2 uptempo songs, neither of which are particularly fresh or interesting, considered this modern thrash masterpiece? What is it on this album that wasn't accomplished on the two albums previous to the same degree?

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm 

ModusOperandi wrote:
Regarding Endgame, how is an album with 2 uptempo songs, neither of which are particularly fresh or interesting, considered this modern thrash masterpiece? What is it on this album that wasn't accomplished on the two albums previous to the same degree?

To answer the second question, the ratio of riff-based metal songs to radio friendly rock songs is way better with Endgame than the previous two. Would not go as far to call it a modern thrash masterpiece, but for me, it was the most enjoyable Megadeth album since Rust In Peace.

novakm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:27 pm 

I'm not opposed to radio-friendly material. "The System Has Failed" is one of my favorite Megadeth albums and that is more chorus-based than riff based. The hooks just have to be strong, which was not the case with 13 or Super Collider.

I'll have to wait and hear. I loved "Endgame" and "The System Has Failed," but aside from a few songs on "Endgame", their post-2000 material has left much to be desired.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:35 pm 

I'm mostly curious to hear Adler's drumming more than anything else. Which to me isn't a good sign since this is a Megadeth album, so in turn I should care more about the guitar playing. I haven't cared much for their output since Youthanasia and even that album isn't held in very high regard. I'll give it a listen, not likely going to buy it though.

TheTrueSeker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:39 pm 

AblackanatioN wrote:
I'm mostly curious to hear Adler's drumming more than anything else. Which to me isn't a good sign since this is a Megadeth album, so in turn I should care more about the guitar playing. I haven't cared much for their output since Youthanasia and even that album isn't held in very high regard. I'll give it a listen, not likely going to buy it though.

The only way I'd buy a new Megadeth album for the guitar work would be if Marty came back, which is about as likely as Chris Poland coming back at this point.

The only new Megadeth related thing I've gotten into was Mustaine's book, which was actually pretty interesting. Not quite as nuts as Max Cavalera's or as informative as Iommi's, but it's probably the best-written metal memoir I've come across (note: still haven't read Tom G. Warrior's yet; shameful, I know).

TrooperEd
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:26 pm 

I don't see the point of releasing titles, or even getting excited about titles.

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Also, this. It's amazing how many retards mistake groove for songwriting.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:07 am 

TrooperEd wrote:
I don't see the point of releasing titles, or even getting excited about titles.

Temple Of Blood wrote:

Also, this. It's amazing how many retards mistake groove for songwriting.

Im guessing because the recording is done and theyre all confirmed. Maybe the new album is called Death From Within? Hopefully we'll get the art, a song soon.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:31 am 

TheTrueSeker wrote:
Vektor and the first Hexen album are as good as in-their-prime Megadeth

I literally LOL'd. Vektor is cool, but you don't top those influential bands in their prime.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next