Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:37 pm 

I just discovered this website today. I tried the search function to no avail. I'd like to find unique metal covers of songs that were not originally metal- for example "Disturbed" - did Genesis' "Land of Confusion". I have been on youtube obviously and found different stuff that I find interesting. Any ideas would be appreciated. I have been a rabid music fan and musician since 15 years old... seeing Blue Oyster Cult and Zeppelin in 1975 live...... Judas Priest 1984... and ton's of rock bands that are not of interest to the metal fans here it appears from the description.

Hope this question is welcomed here, this is my first post...
Thanks.

Manic Maniac
Grammaritically Challengated

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:30 pm 

Fractal Gates did a cover of Cheap Trick's "Mighty Wings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQMT3Vwgns

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:31 pm 

Entombed have done a bunch. Here's a good one...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:14 am 

You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

ironmaidens_666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:41 am 

Scorpions have done a few.
Gloria Jones/Soft Cell cover.
Spoiler: show

T-rex cover.

Beatles cover.

Tin Soldier cover.

The Kinks cover.

Rolling Stones cover

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:00 am 

it happens a lot of times, but the results are often terrible
(look at the "born to be wild" cover by slayer or amorphis's cover of "light my fire"..)
ill' remember two good ones:

Realm did a really awesome thrash cover of "eleanor rigby" by the beatles on their debut album, check it out!

Spite Extreme Wing did a strange if good cover of "Helter Skelter" again by the beatles with the frontman of Forgotten tomb singing.. it stays pretty close to the original for few minutes, then starts a blast beat madness

Manic Maniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:11 am 

I just remember Dead Horse's cover of B-52's "Rock Lobster."
And to add more to the list:
Sodom did a silly cover of The Trashmen "Surfin' Bird."
Many bands, such as Slayer & Thunderstorm, have done a cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, though they usually don't play them in it's full version.
Paul Di'Anno did a cover of Wild Cherry "Play That Funky Music."
Witchfynde did a cover of Rolling Stones "Paint it Black." (Most covered song ever)
Bruce Dickinson did a cover of Mott the Hoople "All the Young Dudes" as well as Alice Cooper "I Wanna Be Elected." (With Mr. Bean)
Cinc did a lot of covers on their "French Cancan" album, including Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street" & Mickael Sombello "Maniac."
Redemption also had a lot of covers on their "This Mortal Coil" album including Starship "Jane" & Toto "Hold the Line."
Lastly, not sure if you count this as Metal, but Deadsy did a cover of Rush "Tom Sawyer." Not a bad cover, really.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:57 am 

there was this Peaceville compilation also. I don't think it was very successful on the whole, but its basically what you're asking for...

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Peacevil ... ase/924810

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:23 pm 

Another cover of The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby", this time by Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_3JIN5Vso

Doomsday
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:02 pm 

There's a few. I'm partial to the Animals cover myself.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:32 pm 

RoryGFan, your search terms are way too wide/vague... if you're looking for covers of specific artists/songs, you can do a search on the mainpage, by typing the song title or "[band name] cover" and selecting "song title" on the dropdown menu... the same for youtube :)

since you mentioned that genesis cover, though, in flames have covered that as well, and imho it's a superior song.

~Guest 342247
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:37 pm 

To/Die/For - (I Just) Died In Your Arms [Cutting Crew Cover]
Something from the northern gothic scene:

To/Die/For - (I Just) Died In Your Arms [Cutting Crew Cover]

To/Die/For - In the Heat of the Night [Sandra Cover]

Firewind - Maniac [Michael Sembello Cover]

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight) [ABBA Cover]

Dragonland - The Neverending Story [Limahl Cover]

Gamma Ray - It's a Sin [Pet Shop Boys Cover]

Turisas - Rasputin [Boney M. Cover]

Elvenking - Heaven Is A Place On Earth [Belinda Carlisle Cover]

Northern Kings - Take On Me [A-ha Cover]

Children Of Bodom - Lookin' Out My Back Door [Creedence Clearwater Revival Cover]

Disturbed - Shout [Tears for Fears Cover]

Graveworm - Holding Out for a Hero [Bonnie Tyler Cover]

Heavenly - When The Rain Begins To Fall [Jermaine Jackson feat. Pia Zadora Cover]

Cradle Of Filth - Temptation [Heaven 17 Cover]

Edge Of Forever - What A Feeling [Irene Cara Cover]

DragonForce - Ring Of Fire [Johnny Cash Cover]

Sorry for the long post
Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNOEAOrw14

thementalpatient
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:39 pm 

Graveworm also did a cover of REM's "Losing My Religion."

Pain did a Björk cover I think.

Entombed also did a few covers of songs, songs like KISS's God of Thunder:

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:54 pm 

Found another two very well done covers worth checking out, both made by Greek Black metal band Nocternity:
"Pagan poetry" by Bjork and "Crystal tears:end titles" by Vangelis from his blade runner movie score

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:54 pm 

Enjoy!
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Milo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:48 am 

Artillery did Razamanaz.

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:37 pm 

Wow, I am blown away! THANK YOU FOR ALL THE RESPONSES! I am amazed quit frankly, as my experiences on other types of discussion boards have few if any responses.... I only posted that a few days ago and never came back to see the responses until today someone PM'ed me. I DO REALLY Appreciate the effort and did not realize that many responses would occur for a first time post and so shortly!!!!! Appreciate it. I will dig into it all right now.

Thank you very much!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:47 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
Fractal Gates did a cover of Cheap Trick's "Mighty Wings"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kQMT3Vwgns

Just logged on today since my first post....
Thanks man, YEAH That's a good example of what I am looking for. that sounded better that Cheap Tricks version which I actually did not realize they did that song for Top Gun... listened to theirs also for about 10 seconds... ugh. My only comment would be is I am not into too much deep voice growling sounds, at least for too much of the song. They put the chorus' in more disernable vocals and liked that all for the hook of the song... cool....

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:58 pm 

schizoid wrote:
Entombed have done a bunch. Here's a good one...

I will need to look for others... I was never an MC5 fan really, but mildly familiar with them... this amped up that song for sure.
Cool. New band to check out... Thanks! Speaking of Detroit. How about any Iggy Pop stuff done in Metal- "Cock in my pocket" for example from Metallic KO... wonder if anybody did that. (My band did but it wasn't anything special, and done way back in 79'.... )
Or Alice Cooper from detroit. Any Heavy Metal stuff. I know of course "Under my wheels" was done by Slash/Gun's and Roses- gotta be some old alice stuff out there metalized.
THANKS!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:06 pm 

Nochielo wrote:

Yeah, Stones tunes are cool. Paint it black was done by the punk band the Avengers I remember seeing them live
back in late 70's. And lot's of others have covered it, such a kick ass song. "Wild Horses" it gets covered alot too. I wonder about "Sympathy for the Devil"???? (Not Natalie Merchant though ha..., that did not fit to hear her sing it ha) Gotta be some lesser known bands that did that in Metal. The offspring (I know punk again, me disculpas) did "under my thumb" amped up.... liked that too. Thinking out loud too here too really old stuff that the original was even lame (IMHO) the Peter Green Version of "Green Manalishi"... and Joan Baez' "Diamonds and Rust"- both when Priest took them and injected their venom into the songs- damn.... awesome.... Love this type of stuff. Thanks!!!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:43 pm 

[quote="ironmaidens_666"]Scorpions have done a few.
Gloria Jones/Soft Cell cover, T-rex, Across the universe, TIn Soldier, All day and night, Ruby Tuesday...
Love all these versions and Klaus' melodic voice... and the arrangements. Great choices. I had no idea
the Scorpions did all of these! Thanks for posting that and taking the time to put em all up.

Side notes. I owned the original 45 from Soft Cell... in punk collection days. It's gone and given it away though. Across the Universe was
done in a version I like actually by Fiona Apple-

I realize it isn't metal but I like her voice on it...

The Original Quiet Riot that played in the Whisky/Starwood in LA clubs with Randy Rhoads/Rudy Sarzo did Tin Soldier....
This is a crappy video/audio but at least it's
documenting it. They did the song on their first Sony album but it sounded pretty bad, so won't post it here.

I like Ruby Tuesday better this way, than the Stones... imho. Thanks for all!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:25 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
it happens a lot of times, but the results are often terrible
(look at the "born to be wild" cover by slayer or amorphis's cover of "light my fire"..)
ill' remember two good ones:

Realm did a really awesome thrash cover of "eleanor rigby" by the beatles on their debut album, check it out!

Spite Extreme Wing did a strange if good cover of "Helter Skelter" again by the beatles with the frontman of Forgotten tomb singing.. it stays pretty close to the original for few minutes, then starts a blast beat madness

Slayer Born to be wild-
. I never liked Steppenwolf's version to be quite honest- so this kicks it. As a matter of fact while some of the classic BOC stuff I like and been to see them 8 times starting in mid 70's, their version is better, but not that much better than Steppenwolfs. Live BOC Born to be wild
I have read all over that the term "Heavy Metal" from Steppenwolf originated from this song but have difficulty in believing their were the originators.

Light my fire- Amorphis-

The Doors really... that's different sounding and glad to see covers like this.

Eleanor Rigby- Realm:

Wow. Nice. I only heard Godheads version before :

The Spite extreme version said it was on "Vltra" this is to me so avant garde , I just can't hear the Helter Skelter song! My brain is hurting now listening to that!!! Wow, heavy stuff alright. Thanks for all the suggestions....

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:13 pm 

Manic Maniac wrote:
Dead Horse's cover of B-52's "Rock Lobster
And to add more to the list:
Sodom did a silly cover of The Trashmen "Surfin' Bird."
Many bands, such as Slayer & Thunderstorm, have done a cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly, though they usually don't play them in it's full version.
Paul Di'Anno did a cover of Wild Cherry "Play That Funky Music."
Witchfynde did a cover of Rolling Stones "Paint it Black." (Most covered song ever)
Bruce Dickinson did a cover of Mott the Hoople "All the Young Dudes" as well as Alice Cooper "I Wanna Be Elected." (With Mr. Bean)
Cinc did a lot of covers on their "French Cancan" album, including Gerry Rafferty "Baker Street" & Mickael Sombello "Maniac."
Redemption also had a lot of covers on their "This Mortal Coil" album including Starship "Jane" & Toto "Hold the Line."
Lastly, not sure if you count this as Metal, but Deadsy did a cover of Rush "Tom Sawyer." Not a bad cover, really.

Looked those up too:
Rock Lobster: -
Like the tempo change at the end... really creepy Rob Zombie sounding version....

Sodom: Surfin Bird:
Reminds me of the Ramones version sort of.... except that gargling sounds.... cool.

in-a-oh-my-god-a-devida.... that I can't get into. It was such a long drawn out song to begin with.... ha.

Play that funky Music-
Lot's of guitars on this one. Like that. Metal sounding is missing though... kinda thought some more deep tones.... cool that he had the balls to record this song.

Paint it Black-
Like this morbid dirge sounding version.... nice. I like this alot.

All the Young dudes-
Live version- Bowies tune he gave to Mott the Hoople... their really only known tune unfortunately as I liked them. He also does AC/DC's Bon Scott "Sin City:-
Regarding Mott the Hoople- anybody interested in this heavy stuff with Ariel Bender on Guitar- always liked epecially their live album and this Rock N Roll Queen, et al- medley:
. Pretty heavy for it's time. Ian hunter still is out there gigging like 76 years old. Older than Mick Jagger. I will continue on here.... a load of thanks!!!! I am only down 1/2 the list of posts you have all sent me... This is a goldmine of ideas you guys have given me of ones I forgot in my brain too.

Bruce Dickinson/Maiden did a Montrose tune "I got the fire" from Paper Money album...
Remember playing that at alot of parties when I was a kid.... great tune. Paul Dianno did his version also:

Elected- Bruce Dickinson/Mr. Bean:

CinC French CanCan I see listed in this reference site but cannot find anything on web or youtube to listen to.

Redemption- Jane
The guitars are great, vocals sound sorta too much like the original though. I like the chugging part in second verse.... and the solo. Shredding here. Hold the Line:
also sounds too much like original to being with....

Tom Sawyer- deadsy
This is better heavier and listenable to me... I did never like the Rush version. After 2112 Live album, with the "Farewell to Kings" tour I lost interest in Rush. Did get to sit 11th row and see UFO Michael Schenker like when he was only about 20 years old open up for them though at the Santa Monica Civic.
I see Deadsy did Paint it Black:
Like this version....

Thank!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:14 pm 

schizoid wrote:
there was this Peaceville compilation also. I don't think it was very successful on the whole, but its basically what you're asking for...

http://www.discogs.com/Various-Peacevil ... ase/924810

I see they did U2's "With or without you"

I see they have this live album.. will watch later. Thanks!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:44 pm 

At mid point of going through all the above posts.... I found these-

While My guitar gently weeps- Beatles cover:

Tyrant:
Like the galloping rythym...

Spineshank:
This Spineshank version was one of the first metal covers I found back by accident on my own in like mid 2000's... inspired me to search on and off for new covers in metal.

Others:

Michael Schenker doing War Pigs:

Warren Haynes/Jason Newsted War Pigs:

Rob Zombie- American Band (Grand Funk cover)
I really like this- his version is cool as hell. Loved that song and drums as a kid.

Marilyn Manson- T-Rex cover, 20th Century Boy :

Lanzer- T Rex cover "Children of the Revolution"

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:47 pm 

Unity wrote:
Another cover of The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby", this time by Pain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eB_3JIN5Vso

Yes... I need to look into this band... heavy sounding version... thanks!

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:11 am 

Doomsday wrote:

There's a few. I'm partial to the Animals cover myself.

I listened to them all, and that's quite a few dark ones there. I agree the Animals cover is the best.
Thanks!!!! appreciate taking the time to answer and post the links! Must be nice weather up there in Sweden middle
of summer now! Was talking to someone today about the Northsea Jazz Festival coming soon this year near you.

RoryGFan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:23 am 

aloof wrote:
RoryGFan, your search terms are way too wide/vague... if you're looking for covers of specific artists/songs, you can do a search on the mainpage, by typing the song title or "[band name] cover" and selecting "song title" on the dropdown menu... the same for youtube :)

since you mentioned that genesis cover, though, in flames have covered that as well, and imho it's a superior song.

I do realize the question is somewhat vague and not well defined. My apologies. I tried to use the search engine for specific songs and kept getting error messages and had no luck at all really with simple entries when I first attempted to use it and logging on to this great website. I have been a member on other sites that used vBulletin and some searches work, some don't. Trolling through youtube for hours is fine, and I do that alot but I just thought I would pose the question here on this board. The response I got here was really nice! I had no idea so many responses would come in and had not logged back in until today. It appears that there are of other Metalheads and Rock Fans that alot more knowledge about Metal specific versions of songs and they introduced me to a bunch here....

I will look up the "In flames" version now....

I like it too. Great song that sounds to me better in hard rock or metal than Genesis. I am not a Genesis fan really.
Thanks for the post and help!

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:00 am 

Mekong Delta covered another Genesis song, Dance on a Volcano. It's good, but I don't think they made it particularly "metal".

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:28 am 

would love to hear Mekong cover return of the giant hogweed

another song that comes to mind...

Manic Maniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:52 am 

Don't worry about the IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA covers being too long. Slayer's version is only 3:17 while Thunderstorm is 4:29.

As for CinC, well I found it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVGA1xtd_SM

OlderBudweiser
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:27 pm 

forgot the name of the band, but they are also musicians in leaves eyes, they released 2 albums with 80's tunes.

EDIT: found it. Atrocity with werk 80

StillDeath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 am 

Therion recently released a great album of 60's french pop covers

Reply to topic