Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 pm 

Smoking pipe, anyone?!

Tips, suggestions, favourite pipe tobacco, strong or sweet?
Anything related to pipes

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:50 pm 

I took to smoking a pipe recently....but sadly I broke it the other day. Tapping it against my boot a bit too hard to empty it and the stem snapped. Been smoking Borkum Riff cherry cavendish.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:58 pm 

Damn, that's unfortunate. I'm currently making mine, since my father has the right carving tools. Of course not the stem, just the shaping of the bowl, since I have no idea how to carve proper holes.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 pm 

Been smoking my Dagner pipe lately, finally breaking it in real good. Do not break in a pipe using Orlik Golden Slice because it's absolutely yuck sick gross. It's delicious in pipe's that are already broken in though , I promise. I normally stay away from aromatic's because I'm not sure what they add to the tobacco to make it aromatic, only Virginia's and English's here. I highly suggest Mississippi River, Frog Morton Cellar, and Hearth and Home's Larry's blend. Also there is a huge pipe smoking community on youtube worth checking out, Dagner and Stogie Farts channels are worth checking out. :)

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:30 am 

Glass piece count???

Used to smoke a tobacco pipe but it was ridiculous this fucking punk kid with a bowl, but now I've got my glass and other pipe pieces for the ganj.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 am 

Crack pipes count???

Used to smoke crackton crystal but it was making me incredibly itchy like an anchovy, now I make my own and apart from rapid hair loss and blackouts I feel good.

Last edited by iamntbatman on Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
User was warned for this post.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:45 am 

C'mon guys, let's keep the hilarious joke posts out of here while this thread is still in its infancy, aye?

To vaguely contribute: I would never consider actually smoking a pipe as I spent too many years living with heavy smokers to want to subject my lungs to it anymore, but goddamn do I ever love the smell of some really good pipe tobacco. Is there any way I can use it in a potpourri or something just to make my apartment smell nice?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:29 pm 

Iamnbatman, pipe tobacco is usually not inhaled, but just ''tasted'' in the mouth. Inhaling it would give you some serious coughs, as it's some heavy stuff! So lungs should not really suffer from smoking pipe... Anyway, the taste in your mouth is a bit different from the smell - enjoyable nevertheless.

So, to answer your question, if you really really like it, I suggest smoking pipe (also, pipes are not addictive like cigarettes, so if you intend to stop for an extended period of time, or forever, it won't be difficult at all).

I suppose you could burn some pipe tobacco in a small bowl or something if you don't want to actually smoke it... But I have no clue if it could work.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 pm 

I smoke a pipe once in a while. I inherited a good briar from my dad, who got it in Ireland in the 70s. Has a sterling silver collar, pretty neat. He fell out of the habit of smoking it and so gave it to me when I showed an interest. I basically smoke whatever tobacco is on hand - I'm not choosy at all and probably have horrible taste, but it's just a once-in-a-while thing for me, maybe once a month. It's a lot more "contemplative" than smoking a cigarette, what with the whole ritual of filling up the pipe, tamping it down, getting it going, etc. I find it's good for stimulating thought and conversation, but if I'm already in a down mood it just tends to make it worse for some reason.

I'm sure it makes me look like a pretentious twat too, but fuck it! I came by pipe smoking honestly and I genuinely enjoy it.

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:31 am 

failsafeman wrote:
It's a lot more "contemplative" than smoking a cigarette, what with the whole ritual of filling up the pipe, tamping it down, getting it going, etc. I find it's good for stimulating thought and conversation

Exactly, It's also more enjoyable in the autumn/winter, when it's cold.
It's stimulating and calming.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:19 am 

I tried it before when I wanted to seem like Gandalf. I eventually got sick of how it seems to burn the tip of your tongue all the time. No matter what I did, I always seemed to get that bite on my tongue.

boduus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:34 am 

Kahalachan wrote:
I tried it before when I wanted to seem like Gandalf. I eventually got sick of how it seems to burn the tip of your tongue all the time. No matter what I did, I always seemed to get that bite on my tongue.

Maybe 'cause you sucked too strong, not gentle enough ? I'm not sure though

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:22 pm 

I've been smoking for a couple of years now. About 6-7 years I guess. I don't smoke that often because when I do, I prefer to do it during the cool late summer/early autumn evenings. Rest of the year is either too cold or too hot. And I like to taking my time and enjoying a nice glass of scotch. As for tobacco, I tend to favor ones that are smooth with nice wood-like flavors.

This is what I use. Brigham Voyageur.
Spoiler: show

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:20 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:

It might be you were getting it burning too hot - the smoke shouldn't be that hot by the time it hits your mouth. Also, which direction does the whole at the end of the mouthpiece point? Mine actually points upward, rather than straight back, which helps as the roof of your mouth is less sensitive to heat than the tip of your tongue.

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:58 am 

Tongue bite also comes from smoking too fast and in quick succession of each other. Sip it as you would wine by taking slow drags and really taking your time smoking the pipe. I normally take three long drags, blowing out after each of course, then waiting about thirty seconds to a minute before starting my next series. Hope this helps. :)

Reply to topic