Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:55 am 

Better late than never? Congrats, 'Murica.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/27/us/su ... mid=tw-bna

Quote:
In a long-sought victory for the gay rights movement, the Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the Constitution guarantees a nationwide right to same-sex marriage.

Justice Anthony M. Kennedy wrote the majority opinion in the 5 to 4 decision. He was joined by the court’s four more liberal justices.

(Fucking lol @ Scalia's saltiness.)

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:59 am 

For very obvious reasons, I'm quite happy about this. This is a very important day in history, and hopefully we never go backwards from it.
Hehe, foreskins.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:01 am 

Amazing to hear. My gf and I were already planning to visit some of the Pride festivities in Chicago this weekend, and I can only imagine how things will be now.

(And of course, watching the flood of people saying "What's next, u can marry ur horse?!" will always be funny.)

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:04 am 

This is long overdue and I'm glad to see that at least the majority of the SCOTUS got it right. Congrats to all those whom this positively affects.

On another note, I can't wait until Scalia retires and gets the hell out of public life. The guy is an extreme reactionary who has no business being on the Supreme Court. He would burn the country back to the Gilded Age if he could.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:11 am 

Actual quote from Scalia's dissent opinion: "Ask the nearest hippie".

This guy is not only a judge, but he sits on the Supreme Court of the most powerful nation on Earth. And he writes tripe like this in official opinions. I hope he comes the laughing stock of history, christ...

Also :lol: :

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:11 am 

Great! Are all states now going to recognize CCW permits issued by other states?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:14 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
(And of course, watching the flood of people saying "What's next, u can marry ur horse?!" will always be funny.)

I forget the name of the comedian, but there was this dude I saw on TV who was seriously fucking funny, and he made a joke about this line of thinking that basically went like "What's next, marrying animals? Dude, I EAT animals. If I was a goat, and you said that either you were gonna chop me up into bits and cook me, or let this weird farmer suck my dick, that's not the hardest decision I've ever had to make as a goat."

...Not that I'm trying to get a discussion started here about marrying farm animals, it just made me laugh.
Hehe, foreskins.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:28 am 

Fantastic news for everyone, the statement made me emotional:

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:34 am 

Now to see how that pastor from Texas that promised to set himself on fire if gay marriage became legal tries to weasel his way out of it.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:36 am 

Wasn't there a couple who said they'd divorce if this happened as well? That ought to be funny.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:37 am 

Divorce in the name of God = Most Christian thing ever.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:42 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Wasn't there a couple who said they'd divorce if this happened as well? That ought to be funny.

They were Australian. Since abortion is legal I figure they should also kill their children.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/austral ... -1.3109285

Anyway, good news. There is a lot I don't understand about the religious right worldview, and the frothing bigotry and 'sanctity' of marriage crap has always really baffled me.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:48 am 

Because they think morality and laws should be based on Biblical values, and because they cherry picked "no man shall lie with another man" to be one of the few Old Testament values they choose to honor, that should become part of the law of the land.

The glorious part of this, besides equality becoming law of the land like it always should be, is watching the religious right and ultra-conservative Fox News/Drudge Report/The Blaze types losing their shit over this and those of us on the correct side of history knowing that they cannot do jack shit about it anymore.

MonumentalBlackArt
Magic Mike Jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:49 am 

Hey! Nicely done!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 am 

Should've happened a long time ago, but good, this is how it should be. It's insane that so many politicians wasted our time talking about being against gay marriage for so long. The idea seemed to be "we don't have anything against gays as people, but marriage is only between a man and a woman." Or "separate but equal" - which, need I not remind, has some rather bad connotations and is a horrible way of thinking.

But it's good now. It's progress moving forward the way it was intended to. Hopefully we can start to just push this all behind us - though, unfortunately I bet we'll get a handful of dissenting cavemen coming out of the woodwork trying to reverse it, etc.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:56 am 

Turns out that a few of those cavemen are running for president.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/2016-ele ... 6-20150626

Remember: People are going to give these idiots money for the next year and a half and vote for them.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:23 pm 

About fucking time America, about fucking time.

I don't understand all the hate and shit from the religious community. I mean the bible tells us/them (whatever you want to say) that God shall judge all in the end, not some douche on a crusade for presidency. If you're truly a person of God that's how you should live, love thy neighbor and leave all judgement to God. At least that's how they should act.

And this whole sanctity of marriage they're going on about, total bull shit. Straight people have long since destroyed "the sanctity of marriage" and continue to do it harm. I mean wasn't there a dude who married a stuffed My Little Pony doll or some shit like that? That's the kind of shit that should be outlawed.

Also can't wait to see a preacher set himself on fire and hear that those Aussies got divorced.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:34 pm 

Well that was a little anti-climactic wasn't it?

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:38 pm 

What'd you think would happen? Gays storming the whitehouse?

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:41 pm 

Nah I wanted a laser battle.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:59 pm 

Given the decades of push-back from Roe-Wade I was surprised the court took up such a wide-ranging case, I figured they would stick to more narrow rulings on gay marriage. This happened a lot sooner than I thought it would; hopefully it stays that way.

Unfortunately,

Subrick wrote:
those of us on the correct side of history knowing that they cannot do jack shit about it anymore.
Empyreal wrote:
It's progress moving forward the way it was intended to.

there are too many people in this country (and many others) who think like that^. I hate to break it you but this is entirely reversible, like anything else. If there's one thing the current Supreme Court should have made clear to everyone by now, it's that there is no permanency in American law. The last five years have seen them overturn decades of campaign finance law and what many (though not me) would consider decades of progress in firearms legislation. They also rolled back one (major) provision of the Voting Rights Act; if someone as recently as 2005 had suggested that the VRA would be so seriously damaged a few years later, we would have all laughed.

This isn't limited to American law; it's applicable to everything from social mores to international relations. The notion of "progress" in history is, in a word, ahistorical, as are related turns of phrase like "the right side of history." Societal changes are not linear. In this case, people need to stay eternally aware of what major movers of American culture (chiefly the religious right) craft in response to this, and pay attention to how their lawmakers respond. I would like to remind everyone that pro-choice proponents are still fighting (and in many states, losing) the wars over abortion and reproductive rights 40 years after Roe v Wade.

Quote:
Well that was a little anti-climactic wasn't it?

Well, if it's fireworks you want, no need to feel disappointed. Like I said, this isn't over. Sadly.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 1:24 pm 

Nice job USA! I guess if you've finally managed to bring about this bit of overdue social progress, it means the necessary condition for our own government to do something pro-humanity for a change by following suit have been met.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:08 pm 

Bout time. The next step forward is to teach real science in all of our nation's schools. We could also switch to renewable energy.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:43 pm 

Yeah, but that's so boring let's all just get into another arms race with Russia instead or block the escape routes of North African and Middle Eastern refugees or something.

On a different note, did y'all know that Scotus is latin for Scot? I guess we can be glad the court didn't rule like Duns Scotus would have though. I think the guy, who argued that Mary was retroactively absolved of original sin because Jesus being born from a sinful mother would have been inappropriate, probably wouldn't have seen gay marriage as terribly appropriate.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:11 pm 

Quote:
Ken Paxton: Texas Attorney General Says Supreme Court Ruling Does Not Change Definition of Marriage.

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton urges county officials in Texas to not immediately begin issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples if the U.S. Supreme Court rules that gay marriage is legal

“No court, no law, no rule, and no words will change the simple truth that marriage is the union of one man and one woman," Paxton said Friday after the court ruled in favor of same-sex marriage.

Yep, it's already begun.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:19 pm 

Ahh yes, just like a certain Alabama did following the Civil Rights movement...

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:39 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
The notion of "progress" in history is, in a word, ahistorical, as are related turns of phrase like "the right side of history."

...for better or worse. Well put.

On topic, it's great news, but I can't shake the feeling of frustration that it took this long. As Earthcubed noted, the fight is not yet over but still, today is a great day, at least some celebration is in order! Cheers to any and all couples whose union is now recognized in a court of law.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:45 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
The notion of "progress" in history is, in a word, ahistorical, as are related turns of phrase like "the right side of history."

Here you're seemingly trying to discredit meta-historical notions as ahistorical (which in itself does not discredit anything of course, you first need a historicist relativism for that). Though it may be that I'm misinterpreting you and you're merely saying that these views disagree with factual history (although then you have no grounds for criticizing the second expression which makes no factual claim), which brings me to:

Quote:
Societal changes are not linear.

Quote:
I hate to break it you but this is entirely reversible, like anything else.

Here you're arguing that social change is not irreversible, which only refutes very naive theories of progress that nobody actually believes in.

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:02 pm 

Good news. I see it as a glorious victory over the Religious Right. It will be interesting to see the reactions of those who threatened "civil war" if gay marriage were legalized.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:11 pm 

Well that's Canada's gay marriage tourism business down the tubes.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:30 pm 

The amount of butthurt from the extreme right is... well, it's simply joyous to behold.

E.g.: http://www.citizenlink.com/2015/06/26/w ... oe-v-wade/

:lol:
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:46 pm 

Tears. Delicious, salty tears.

http://wonkette.com/589558/wingnuts-ver ... to-america

Edit: Brian Brown uses Dred Scott as an example of an "illegitimate court ruling" that will "further plunge the Supreme Court into public disrepute." Dead.

Brainded Binky
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:51 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
Given the decades of push-back from Roe-Wade I was surprised the court took up such a wide-ranging case, I figured they would stick to more narrow rulings on gay marriage. This happened a lot sooner than I thought it would; hopefully it stays that way.

Unfortunately,

Subrick wrote:
those of us on the correct side of history knowing that they cannot do jack shit about it anymore.
Empyreal wrote:
It's progress moving forward the way it was intended to.

there are too many people in this country (and many others) who think like that^. I hate to break it you but this is entirely reversible, like anything else. If there's one thing the current Supreme Court should have made clear to everyone by now, it's that there is no permanency in American law. The last five years have seen them overturn decades of campaign finance law and what many (though not me) would consider decades of progress in firearms legislation. They also rolled back one (major) provision of the Voting Rights Act; if someone as recently as 2005 had suggested that the VRA would be so seriously damaged a few years later, we would have all laughed.

This isn't limited to American law; it's applicable to everything from social mores to international relations. The notion of "progress" in history is, in a word, ahistorical, as are related turns of phrase like "the right side of history." Societal changes are not linear. In this case, people need to stay eternally aware of what major movers of American culture (chiefly the religious right) craft in response to this, and pay attention to how their lawmakers respond. I would like to remind everyone that pro-choice proponents are still fighting (and in many states, losing) the wars over abortion and reproductive rights 40 years after Roe v Wade.

You're basically saying that this nation would be forced backward at any time. This is very disquieting.

ratedgdr
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:21 pm 

I'm happy about the ruling, while both of my fundamentalist parents are enraged.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:16 pm 

This is good news, I can't help but feel there'll be a retaliation from pockets of backwards scum though, the can never accept it and view violence as their only recourse. Hopefully police presence is stepped up around any parades or public events associated.

J_Ason
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:37 pm 

Hang on guys, let's all stop being enthusiastic about this and remember that caring about anything is gay.
"I concur" -John Wilkes Booth
"I have been shot in the head, but at least I got to read that kickass blog" -Abraham Lincoln

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:27 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
The amount of butthurt from the extreme right is... well, it's simply joyous to behold.

E.g.: http://www.citizenlink.com/2015/06/26/w ... oe-v-wade/

:lol:

"Give now to protect your family."

There are so many things wrong with that sentence. Maybe I can start getting gay couples to pay me to advocate for the banning of different-sex marriage.

In all seriousness, it is still so difficult for me to comprehend the level of bigotry that so many of the leaders in the US have. The disconnect between the everyday American, and the people representing us seems to only lengthen over time.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:57 am 

I can't say I've seen a single rant against this historic vote today, not like I've gone outta my way to read some poorly spelled rant about "morels" and families being destroyed, but still. Really drives home how quickly this big, scary country went from thinking gay people would give you the AIDS to deciding they should be able to have the same rights.
In terms of how quickly all this happened, it was pretty much over the last couple years as far as I remember. Seems like after 2012 or so pretty much everyone was on board with the whole "everyone has the right to get married and lose half their shit in a divorce 5 years later" thing.

Anyways, this is really cool. Having a celebratory white Russian and some Islay Scotch. Not because it's Friday or this country did something cool for a change, I'm just a drunk and it's a Friday night.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:58 am 

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:02 am 

^ Oh my god... :lol: get rekt
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next