Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
zwell0890
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 1:12 pm 

I have recently become increasingly interested in the psychedelic rock music of the late 1960's and early 1970's. Bands like Ultimate Spinache and Hawkwind. Anyway, I was curious if there are any metal bands out there that have been influenced by those sounds....outside of maybe stoner. I did some research and apparently psych-black metal is a thing. But does it stop there?

What are some good psych metal bands I should pick up on?

Thanks!

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 2:10 pm 

The first thing coming to my mind when reading the thread's title was Lake of Tears' "A Crimson Cosmos" and the
albums that followed this one… Mind you that they make heavy use of keyboards and don't sound that 60s or 70s
like (imo) but mushrooms and weed seem to be have taken a major role ;)

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 4:02 pm 

Skeleton of God's 2nd album combines death metal with psychedelic/space rock

These guys do that with black metal but they are a bit more prog rock based.

Obelyskkh are more on the stoner/sludge/doom side of things

Jesters of Destiny are a bit like hawkwind but trad metal

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 6:04 pm 

Oneironaught (mix of prog metal with psych metal):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lx1P2JQd7YI

Blood Ceremony:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AW9VPOYolDI

Nachtmystium (psych Black Metal)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xb6BfcMBu34

Oranssi Pazuzu (same as the above):
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YqD5uuBge-E

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:51 pm 

Hail Spirit Noir! Psychedelia ala King Crimson circa 69, mixed with black metal. Oh yeah. Pneuma is A+.

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:56 pm 

Vediog Svaor is a one-man psychedelic/70's prog rock meets black metal band. Only one album was released but it's honestly one of my favourite black metal albums ever.

I haven't personally listened to them much but I hear a lot of great things about Hail Spirit Noir being another psychedelic/prog rock black metal band. Vocals aren't my cup of tea so that's why I can't get into them, but you may enjoy them as well.

OM is a must have for any psychedelic metal listening. While they are more lumped in with the sludge/doom metal side they aren't typical in that sound at all. Very exotic middle-eastern Hindu based psychedelic metal band. Has Al Cisneros of SLEEP and Emil Amos of psych-y post-rock band Grails in it. Very impressive. Saw these guys live several times under psychedelics and it was the most mesmerizing and powerful experience ever.

I'm also not familiar with much material from A Forest of Stars but their debut album is a grand masterpiece of psychedelic black metal from the UK. Not so much in the 60's/70's style but it's definitely worth checking out. The violins make the atmosphere so much more bizarre.

EDIT - Didn't realize Hail Spirit Noir was mentioned right above me.. but here's another that I forgot about.
Night Heir! The vocals are, again, not the best (imo) but musically very good. Kind of black metal meets psych rock, not sure how to describe it, but worth checking out. I enjoy them.

http://nightheir.bandcamp.com/

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:30 pm 

If you like the jangly droney opium den kind of thing then Horseback will do the trick. I'm not sure they're really metal though, aside from those vox.

To get the obvious out of the way, you've listened to Enslaved, I take it? Pretty sure Hawkwind is a big influence on Ivar, more prominently in the post Mardraum stuff. Axioma Ethica Odini seems to be the fan pick of this era. You can tell they've got some psyche influence going all the way back to the first EP though. Head trip stuff.

I think God Seed's I Begin has some psychedelia smuggled into it but not to the point of a beating over the head. Even apart from the overt keyboards, the riffing and the overall tone reminds me of a spacey drug induced jaunt.

Finally Howls of Ebb. They are a brain exploding.

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:35 pm 

If you expand "psychedelic" to include Krautrock, then Aluk Todolo may be of interest, they combine elements of krautrock and black metal into something very hypnotic and ritualistic. Features the guy behind Vediog Svaor, who was mentioned a couple of post above.

https://aluktodolo.bandcamp.com/

UnholyAnalDeathWorship
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:13 pm 

Ooh, thanks for sharing that balbulus, definitely checking this out..

elf48687789
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:54 am 

This will come as a surprise, but Dokken Dysfunctional album, in particular the first few songs but some others too.

Spoiler: show

The 90s were a weird time, there was no more glam around, they experimented.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:47 am 

Some of the finest examples of this genre for me are Tiamat's "Wildhoney" (a very diverse album wich mixes death/doom and various forms of psychedelia) and "a deeper kind of slumber" (wich fully exploits their Pink Floyd influences)
also Amorphis's "Elegy" is a incredible mix of Melodic death metal, folk and doom with strong Hawkwind and The Doors undercurrent, you must hear to believe it! =)
I also second lake of tears!

Also psychedelic black metal features a huge amounts of really good bands: As other posters said, Enslaved and Hail spirit Noir are astounding, but you can't forget other great bands like Oranssi Pazuzu, Thantifaxath, Klabautamann, Kerbenok..

Reply to topic