Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
conquer__all
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:45 pm 

I will be going for Amorphis, but other than them and Vattnet Viskar this is disappointing line up. Einherjer and Primordial better be playing on the same day as I'm only buying a one day pass for this.

BottomFeeder1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:16 pm 

Going for Razor and beer tent brethren... I predict injuries during razor.. Chip teeth, fractures, ect.... Impetuous Ritual, Inverloch more

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:25 pm 

The last announcement wasn't too OMG, but I am not going to be THAT GUY and I'm going to say that the good bands on it were solid. The lineup as a whole for next year is just fucking solid. Couldn't ask for much better!

SkullFracturingNightmare
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 pm 

Shit, I'd pay full price just for Razor alone.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:43 pm 

Couple more bands just added

Quote:
There were a few bands that we thought would be ready in time for Monday’s announcement, but they ended up confirming several hours after it. So, these 3 bands have been added to MDF XIII to officially round out the billing:

Skinless – Added to the Thursday, 5/21 show at the Ottobar
Suffocation – Added to the Edison Lot.
Tombs – Added to the Edison Lot.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 am 

Suffocation, that's what I'm talking about! In that same update the Thursday show(s) were posted too. There's one at Soundstage and one at the Ram's Head, which I'm guessing run concurrently.
Quote:
Thursday, May 21st @ Rams Head Live:
Bevar Sea
Conan
Iron Man
Jex Thoth
Mantar
Primitive Man
Ufomammut
YOB

Thursday, May 21st @ Soundstage:
Ciborium
Devourment
Internal Bleeding
Mortal Decay
Origin
Skinless

You can sort out which venue is catering to which genre for yourselves.

EDIT: From MDF's Facebook page:
Quote:
The Thursday 5/21 Death Metal show at Ottobar has been moved to SOUNDSTAGE. This means that early bird ticket holders CAN access this show without a separate ticket purchase.

Note that there is a possibility that the Thursday show at Soundstage will be from about 5-10 pm, but we will confirm the start and end time later.

We WILL have shows at Ottobar on Wednesday and Thursday, but we won't book bands for those shows for another month or two. These shows WILL require a separate ticket purchase.

Also, we WILL have free shows at the Sidebar again between Friday-Sunday.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:00 pm 

Got my all venue 4 day pass on Saturday, can't wait to head up there for this

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:04 pm 

Got mine too! Looking forward to it.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:56 pm 

Pre-fest gig tickets are now available. Not a bad little show to warm us up for MDF

Quote:
MDF XIII PRE-FEST PARTY

Wednesday, May 20, 2015
@ Ottobar (Baltimore)

Doors at 6:30 pm
ALL AGES

Full list of confirmed bands:

INCANTATION
MASACRE (Colombia)
DISMA
FUNERUS
DRAWN AND QUARTERED
GATH ŠMÂNÊ

Tickets are on sale NOW!
http://www.missiontix.com/events/produc ... fest-party

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:27 pm 

Not a bad show at all! I'd love to see Disma and Masacre, as well as Incantation again. I don't think I'll be able to get to Baltimore that early, though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:48 am 

Hmm, Disma and Incantation sharing a stage? Could this mean a Pillard cameo during Incantation's set?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:49 pm 

Damn, would like to see Drawn and Quartered but no way am I making that show.

Edit: Anyone going wanna get me a shirt? :-D

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:03 pm 

Just a heads up. If anyone made reservations to stay at the Mt. Vernon Hotel. They were sold and are renovating the place. They are closed and 99% likely NOT OPEN in time for MDF. We stay there every year and had reservations for 2015 and heard about the sale. We called and after a couple of days someone responded and said construction has been pushed back and to MAKE OTHER ARRANGEMENTS. Thier website doesn't say shit. Thanks a lot Mt. Vernon, great business you're running there.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:18 pm 

Metal Church has cancelled and are being replaced by Blood Red Throne. Here's the official word:
Quote:
Due to the fact that Metal Church are currently without a singer, they have cancelled their appearance at MDF XIII. Blood Red Throne (Norway) are filling the vacant space on Saturday at the Edison Lot. They will be making an exclusive US appearance at MDF XIII.

I had my fingers-crossed in hope that Mike Howe would sing for Metal Church, as I'm sure many others did, but apparently that was not meant to be. I wish they could have gotten a classic heavy metal band along the lines of Metal Church, but that's the way it goes.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:21 pm 

Oh god dammit. When I read that last week I thought it said Blood Red Fog :(

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:41 am 

Dragged into Sunlight out, Gnaw Their Tongues in.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:49 am 

Update from MDF on FB:

Spoiler: show
MDF XIII is getting close, which means it's time to report inevitable band changes! We are addressing all of them in this post.

- INVERLOCH have been forced to cancel their MDF appearance due to a combination of medical and visa problems.

In a statement issued by the band, "We are devastated to have to pull out of MDF 2015, and have tried every avenue we could to get the band to the U.S for the first time. Unfortunately, at this time, it is not to be. We want to thank MDF for giving us the opportunity to play in the first place, and thanks to all of the fans for their ongoing support - we hope to make to the U.S. as soon as possible."

INVERLOCH were scheduled to play 2 sets, one of 1 which was going to be a diSEMBOWELMENT set. DRAWN AND QUARTERED have confirmed to play on Friday at Rams Head, and MASACRE (Colombia) have confirmed to play on Sunday at the EDISON LOT.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm 

There were a couple Soundstage changes as well:
Quote:
- SUFFERING MIND cancelled all of their upcoming U.S. shows, including their appearance at MDF. NEKROFILTH have confirmed to play on Friday at Soundstage.

- ENTRAILS MASSACRE have cancelled their appearance at MDF due to a member not receiving clearance to travel to the U.S. CORRUPT LEADERS have confirmed to play on Sunday at Soundstage.

I'm happy with the change myself. I wanted to see Drawn and Quartered and Masacre but I can't make the pre-show Wednesday.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:23 pm 

That is exactly how I saw it. Stoked for Masacre

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:06 pm 

The set times are online:
Spoiler: show

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:28 pm 

Mobb Deep :???:

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:16 am 

Pizzahifive?

edit: Holy fug, Melt Banana. Haven't heard that name in a while.. I remember seeing them play (think they opened for Bungle), and the drummer's snare hand was basically just a blur.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:57 pm 

I spent a lot of money for Defenders of the Old so I have not bought a ticket yet. I like visiting Baltimore to buy the latest Metal at Sound Garden in Fells Point, attend shows etc. However, have things there now permanently changed? Is Baltimore still viable? Here's a picture of an attempted stabbing during Saturday's riot?

Also, the mayor let the riots go on. At any moment, a different spark could ignite things.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:10 pm 

No word from the MDF organizers regarding this. Just have to hope things blow over by the time the fest rolls around.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:17 am 

There has been word. They specifically said the festival will go on as planned. There is no reason why one night of protests that turned violent in some instances would lead to the cancellation of a festival in the same city a month later.

NorthernDarkness6
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 3:11 pm 

I like visiting the Fells Point, Hampden, and Mt. Washington sections of Baltimore but this parody video is worth watching.

Last edited by NorthernDarkness6 on Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 pm 

That has nothing to do with the festival. Keep your zany conspiracy theories to yourself. Consider that an official warning.

herrieman72
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 pm 

I have an all-day-all-venue ticket for MDF 2015. My friends were eager to come too, mostly for Bloodbath, Sodom, Suffocation and D.R.I, but they bailed out on me [all these bands do/did Dutch shows this year]. It's my second MDF, I also went in 2010: here's my adventure http://www.mruforums.com/f22/maryland-d ... 5-a-10888/

My friend Tom has tickets for Thursday - Soundstage
Friday - Edison Lot
Saturday - Edinson Lot
Sunday - Soundstage

We have some double tickets, that's the punishment for ordering tickets drunk :/

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:16 pm 

Cool, I'm guessing you'll have one of those nice reviews after the fest! I've read a few of yours and they make me want to go to a European fest (never been).

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 1:53 pm 

Sodom cancelled. 2 days before the fest, some BS about the US govt not mailing the paperwork. Shits blowing up on Derpbook

demonomania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:22 pm 

NO!

Well, I've been going for many years, even attended the first one. So Sodom or no Sodom, I'm guaranteed to have a good time. See everyone there.

"Everyone welcome back the Hoffman brothers, a new beginning for great guitarists and people."

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm 

There's always at least one major cancellation, and honestly, while I'm bummed, I can do without Sodom. I'm just glad it's not Bloodbath, or Arcturus, or Amorphis, to name a few... That said, Solstice filling the headlining spot? C'mon, I know Sodom's shoes are too big to fill on such short notice, but what an anticlimactic way to end the day. Solstice isn't bad by any means, but a lousy choice for a headliner. Unless Solstice is playing earlier in the day and another band is headlining; now that I read the announcement a second time it looks like that's what might happen.

Edit: Yup, just read in the comments that Razor is playing in Sodom's place now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:51 pm 

Sodom cancelling their MDF appearance is one of Ryan and Evan's long-running inside jokes, I think.

putrenista
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:06 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Mobb Deep :???:

Yeah, I just read about that. Pretty cool actually. I hope it goes over well.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 6:01 pm 

As lame as it is, Sodom cancelling last minute again is hilarious. My friend and I are just going for Sat and Sun, and probably would've just done Sunday if not for Sodom being a headliner. Sucks for people who traveled for Saturday only, etc. You know a lot of those Saturday-only tickets (and of course some weekend passes) were sold based on the fact that Sodom's name was on the bill. Now they are just supposed to accept that they are not getting what they paid for? I realize it's not Evan/Ryan's fault, but if I were in their shoes I'd feel a need to do something for those customers, if only as a gesture. Maybe they will.

Heading out tomorrow morning, would like to see some of you guys!

P.S. If anyone reads this who is going to see Drawn and Quartered and wants to get me a shirt, I'll pay you a $10 service charge! I have a thumbs up for the one transaction I made on the trade forum here if that counts for anything. :lol:

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:44 pm 

Read some reports and watched some footage of Suffocation, Amorphis, Demilich, etc. Looked like an awesome time. Anyone here who went want to share some stories?

MetalCheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:02 pm 

I was at the Edison lot on Sunday. White bandana and Chasm shirt. I'd heard/read complaints about the sound during the first three days, but on Sunday it was excellent. The mix for Amorphis's set was perfect.

Hour long sets should be reserved for headliners. From 4 o'clock on each band had an hour. I like Winter but it felt like they played until Winter.

But that's just me. Excellent festival. Everything is ran so well, the people are mostly decent, and there are tons of merchandise and food options. If you haven't gone and are on the fence... Go.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:11 am 

I was there Friday through Sunday. I'm terrible at reviews so I'll just share some highlights and observations.

Cianide was the first band I got in the crowd for on Friday. Their first song was butchered by the loud bass boom, but they fixed that before playing Mindscrape as the second song. That was a relief for me because that was the only song I wanted to hear. I'm only familiar with their first album so I didn't recognize many of the tracks they played. Even with the loud bass gone, the sound remained rough throughout their set.

I skipped Vallenfyre in favor of getting some food. Their albums didn't do anything for me, but from what I could hear in the background, they actually sounded really good. Nice and tight sound. I did notice that Adrian wasn't drumming for them. Greg Mackintosh had some funny banter in between songs; at one point he was saying it was the band's biggest dream to play in a car park in Baltimore, haha.

I got back in the crowd for Master. Pretty clear mix, and they ripped through their set. Paul Speckmann's vocals sounded great and it was nice to hear some blazing solos. There seemed to be an issue with lead guitar being too low in the mix the rest of the fest, though. Arcturus, Primordial, and Bloodbath had quiet solos, from what I can remember (all three sounded great otherwise).

Didn't pay much attention to Lock Up, not my thing. After them Aura Noir played. I stuck around for the whole set and was excited to see them but was a little underwhelmed. Their mix was flat and muddy.

Suffocation kicked ass. Great tight and punchy sound. Probably the best sounding set all day.

I was most looking forward to seeing Obituary and they delivered. Easily my favorite set on Friday. A demon came over me when they played Don't Care (wasn't expecting to hear that one at all), and Back to One and Dead Silence being played right in a row was really cool. The crowd lulled slightly whenever they played a new song, and there were a handful, but things kicked back into gear whenever an old song started. I never mosh but I got into some circle pit action during Slowly We Rot.

I took it easy and stood far away during Bloodbath's set as I already had a headache before Obituary started. Not much to say besides they played well and sounded good. I'm still not totally sold on Nick's weak, gargly vocals, but they weren't distracting and he had good stage presence.

After some food at Subway I headed over to Soundstage for Napalm Death's set. I'd seen them a couple months before and may have skipped them to see Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, but I was with a friend who hadn't seen them before. In the end I'm glad I stayed. Their set was perfect, drawing from several albums and with a whopping seven songs from the new one. It was cool seeing a proper, old school grind show too with people stage diving every five seconds. It's not often you get to see a big death metal band in that setting (although there was that Obituary show on the floor of a bar a couple years ago...).

Saturday... Got to Edison Lot six minutes after Twilight of the Gods started. I could hear Alan Averill wailing down the street and I started to panic. I had an old schedule that said they started at 2, but they'd apparently been moved to 1:20. Anyway, they sounded really good, and it was nice to start the day with some heavy metal, after the excess of death metal the previous day. They're playing all original songs now, no covers. The old Cradle of Filth fan in me also had a fun time seeing Nick Barker behind the drums (having not cared for Lock Up).

I didn't watch Blood Red Throne, but their reliable, albeit predictable style of death metal sounded good in the background. I cracked up and felt a bit embarrassed as their vocalist started the set by saying, "I wish you were dead. I wish you all were dead, and buried in the ground," or something along those lines.

Einherjer were entertaining and sounded good. Their vocalist's bass crapped out early in the set so their guitarist kept playing and took over vocals which I thought was neat.

Vulcano I skipped because I find them boring. They seemed to get a good response though. I watched half of Bulldozer's set from the beginning though, and they were quite good. The bloody podium that their vocalist stood at was awesome. Their style of music gets tiresome after awhile and I felt my hairline burning in the sun so I ditched them and got a good spot for Triptykon... who slayed. Tom G. Warrior had a grin ear to ear the whole set. I heard a lot of complaints about too much bass or kick drum or whatever, but they sounded great to me, and immensely heavier than most bands did that weekend. Decent setlist starting with Procreation of the Wicked and ending with thats song's main riff. Tree of Suffocating Souls and Goetia were played, probably the best songs off their respective albums, so that was fine by me.

Arcturus... wow. I was completely blown away. Fantastic stage presence from all of them, from ICS Vortex's goofy mannerisms and his hands-in-his-pockets dance, to Knut's swaying jig with his cape and guitar, to the keyboardist's carnivalesque grin the entire gig. In full costume, those guys are just fun as hell to watch on stage. And Vortex sounded phenomenal. No flubbed notes or apologies for being drunk. He also promised a US tour in the next year so we'll see what becomes of that.

I went to Soundstage afterward to catch Wolfbrigade but they took ages to set up, a common theme at the venue. They were on the stage and hadn't begun playing five minutes past their start time, so I gave up a headed over to the Ram's Head for the first time that weekend. I got a pretty good spot for Demoncy who were a treat for me to see. They were one of the first black metal bands I became familiar with outside of the Norwegian scene so their set was a bit of a blast from the past. The Ram's Head has risen in notoriety for indecipherable mixes and quiet guitars, but I had no complaints. Tsjuder, on the other hand, became a complete mess whenever they went into a fast tremolo or blast beat section. Thankfully they do a lot of groovy Celtic Frost stuff and that was headbanging heaven.

Anyway, Demoncy were kind of funny because their set is very repetitive. The vocalist croaks the song name with a boat load of reverb, then sways in his cape as the other guys stand like Secret Servicemen and play, and then kneels with his back to the crowd to sip some water. Repeat this, all the while with Tsjuder's backdrop hanging up. Still, I love their brand of downtuned black metal, and you have to suspend your disbelief to ignore the cheap Halloween costumes and bare stage setup. Things got sillier when the stage manager walked on and told their vocalist to wrap up. They played another song and the stage manager threw a conniption fit and flailed his arms on the side of the stage. I've never seen gear taken apart as fast as it was after that song finished.

On Sunday I pretty much just wanted to see the last four bands on Stage B in Edison Lot. I got there during Goatsnake, who provided some nice lunchtime music, and then got myself a spot for Primordial, my most anticipated band of the whole fest. I'd never seen them before, and after seeing them once I have to commit to seeing them again. Flawless set. One of the only (if not the only) sing-a-long bands playing that weekend, and my bad allergies be damned, I sang along to every song. A solid setlist, starting off with Where Greater Men Have Fallen, then going to a more classic Primordial sound with Gods to the Godless, and slowing down with Babel's Tower. Actually, there is a song I didn't sing along to: that one. Things picked up again with No Grave Deep Enough, followed by the mandatory Coffin Ships, and then the band finished with a bang by playing Empire Falls. Alan's stage theatrics really add to the experience and I actually enjoyed the afternoon sun during their set. I've always considered them a "summer band" so the heat aided the atmosphere. My favorite set this MDF.

Anaal Nathrakh and Demilich I simply watched from afar because I was getting tired and I knew they wouldn't live up to Primordial's set. They were both very good though, with Demilich having a clearer, if quieter sound. Their banter was amusing too; Anaal's vocalist spread some humorous, some serious cynicism that you kind of come to expect given the music they play; Demilich's vocalist just casually introduced the next song with some jokes (none of that intelligibly croaking the next song business).

I didn't see two of the other juggernauts that day, Skepticism and Neurosis. Well, mostly didn't see. I listened to Skepticism from the picnic tables and peered over a couple times to gawk at their suits in the heat. They're not the sort of the music I can stand in the sun for an hour to listen to. When Neurosis played I went a little crazy and camped out over at Amorphis' stage for an hour. I didn't really pay attention to them, but I remember the last song they played being cool (setlist.fm tells me it was Stones from the Sky). So then Amorphis got on and the crowd erupted into a frenzy; I hadn't seen a crowd that crazy all weekend. Their set flew by but it sounded great. Tomi Joutsen's growls sound 10x better live than they do on the albums - nice and meaty. I was hoping for some sort of tour teaser but they said nothing of it.

After some free bread and cheese sandwiches from Zombie BBQ/Smokerhead, I went over to Soundstage to catch the last of Melt Banana's set. They finished about 20 minutes early and apparently had a merch line until DRI's set started. I should know, I was waiting outside while my buddy was stuck in it. He got me a Melt Banana pin with a cat on it. Anyway, we then headed over to Ram's Head to watch a few Portal songs and called it a night. Until next year!

Also, I don't mind the hour long sets before headliners, personally (and to be exact, many of the bands playing in the late afternoon got 50 or 55 minutes). There are a lot of big name bands in those slots that draw people to the festival. Triptykon, Primordial, Suffocation, Demilich, to name a few. There are some bands who play longer than they should (I agree on Winter), but that gives you time take a break and still catch some of their set.

Caspian88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:57 am 

I pretty much agree with Mysticaloldbard's assessments on the bands I saw (most everything in the Edison Lots).

I also caught some of the pre-fest show - Funerus was exciting and Masacre as excellent apart from constantly reminding us who they were and that they were from South America (also an issue during their Edison Lot performance).

Iron Man was a lot of fun on Thursday night - a lot of energy, heavy riffs. Primitive Man and Usnea didn't stand out so much to me. I left after that, having a massive headache.

Razor was insane - they played probably 3/4 of the Evil Invaders album, the crowd was totally into it, and they debuted a new song (that was probably the low point of the set, though). I'm still bruised from that set.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 am 

Oh yeah, I forgot about Razor. The crowd seemed smaller than it did for the other headliners but just as energetic. I hung out around the back and took it easy. There was a lot of goofing off/partying going on while the rest of you guys went ballistic. The interpretive dancers were a highlight - someone got a video of them here: https://instagram.com/p/3DDHenPgUD/. And I remember the new song, the so-called "Office Fight?" Haha.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next