Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:33 am 

Expedience wrote:

It's silly by Opeth standards. Just listen to the first 30 seconds, it sounds like circus music.

After about 8 listens, this is weaker than Heritage for me.

At first listen I thought it was weaker than Heritage and felt like a 2 out of 5. But it kinda sounded better after a couple of listens. I guess my review sums it up. It's just stale, nothing more, nothing less. Has been done before and better as I've stated in my review. It's not an Opeth album. It's just an average progressive rock album. For instance, if want better modern prog rock I would rather listen to this:

Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:42 am 

doomster999 wrote:
I guess my review sums it up. It's just stale, nothing more, nothing less. Has been done before and better as I've stated in my review.

Couldn't agree more with that review, 'stale' was what first came to my mind too. I'd give it 3, maybe 3.5. It's competent. I still think Heritage is better though.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:46 pm 

Expedience wrote:
I've also been revisiting their albums since BWP and to my surprise I'd have to say that Watershed (which I had previously ranked among their weakest) is the strongest and Ghost Reveries the weakest, the others somewhere in between. Damnation by itself was never a favorite but when you consider it's a double-album, that raises it up immeasurably.

I gave Watershed a recent listen and had a fairly similar experience with it. It always felt more like a filler transitional effort in the grand scheme of things but songs like Coil, Porcelain Heart, and Heir Apparent really help it stand on its own merits. Of course, my opinions differ as I have a soft spot for Ghost Reveries and there's never been an Opeth album better than Damnation in my eyes.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:40 am 

New one has some really cool ideas and passages on it - all that goofy shit going on in the second half of "River" is really cool, Eternal Rains is just nice, and some other treats. That whole half step minor key middle eastern shindiggery is dead to me though and plenny o that abounds on this album.

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:53 am 

I like this one a LOT more than Heritage. Maybe it is just me but the ideas seem more thought through and flow better
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:07 am 

Yes I'd agree, just generally better songwriting and not just galleries of riffs.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 1:53 pm 

Ok here's the deal on Pale Communion. Yes, it's better than Heritage. It's nothing like Ghost Reveries except for maybe the ballads on that one, I don't understand the continual comparison to GR. What really surprised me is how melodic and focused the songwriting is. This is definetly closer to Damnation than Heritage was, in atmosphere and in songwriting. It's got the same overwhelming bleakness that every Opeth album has but it is even more effective, to me, on PC because it's juxtaposed against more colorful music than ever before - flutes, strings and synths everywhere. And River is in a fucking MAJOR KEY.

This is a decidedly UNproggy prog album. It's about as prog as Rainbow was cira Rising. There is way more focus on cinematic songwriting and catchiness than exploring the outer sonic darkness.

Some of Mike's best songs are on this one: eternal rains, river, moon above sun below and faith in others are all some of the best songs he's ever written.

There's a section of voice of treason were he almost goes into a death growl but instead just husks his voice up a bit, it's effective

Mortaeus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:03 am 

I definitely don't like the direction Opeth is headed. I want "Blackwater Park" back... but there's only so much of that a band can do before it gets stagnate also... If they wanted to go softer, at least they could've taken more of a "Damnation" approach. Oh well.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:18 am 

The guys lost it. Even if Mike was always the main songwriter (especially since MAYH), he clearly went nuts with the 70's prog shit. Peter at least had some vote and focused him a bit, when he left the band it went to the toilet. Lopez could have made a WAY better job than Axe on this new direction.

Man, I was invited to play Damnation live with some friends. Hell, that album is actually quite decent.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 5:07 pm 

I'd have to agree that their metal stuff was better than the prog stuff. I doubt they will ever top Watershed. That's their pinnacle IMHO - perfect atmosphere, monstrous riffs, good variety of vocals, haunting lyrics. Even the ballad on that one is good.

capeda
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:24 pm 

I forgot they even put this out... slipped under my radar. Downloading it now from iTunes. So strange... I own all of Opeth's stuff. Every album and live DVD anyway, and I think they put on the best live show I've yet to see (well, from a musicianship standpoint anyway). After Heritage, though, I'm worried that they're no longer interested in writing music that I find mentally engaging. Not that Heritage was bad... just... not what I want to hear.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:44 pm 

capeda wrote:
I forgot they even put this out... slipped under my radar. Downloading it now from iTunes. So strange... I own all of Opeth's stuff. Every album and live DVD anyway, and I think they put on the best live show I've yet to see (well, from a musicianship standpoint anyway). After Heritage, though, I'm worried that they're no longer interested in writing music that I find mentally engaging. Not that Heritage was bad... just... not what I want to hear.

Boo, buy the real thing! :???: Well, Pale Communion is a large improvement over Heritage, I think you'll like it. Let us (me) know.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

LuciferionGalaxy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:18 pm 

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah wrote:
I'd have to agree that their metal stuff was better than the prog stuff. I doubt they will ever top Watershed. That's their pinnacle IMHO - perfect atmosphere, monstrous riffs, good variety of vocals, haunting lyrics. Even the ballad on that one is good.

Fair statement. Everything on Watershed is near perfection. It is a true prog album: getting better with each repeated play. Opeth whole discography is always on my playlist after more than a decade of listening to them. Class act.

-LG

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:33 pm 

Pale Communion was my pick for album of the year last year and I still stand by that. It may not be my favorite Opeth album, Still Life holds that honor, but it is an absolutely brilliant album. Great songwriting with loads of emotion.

Like your reviews?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7