Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:22 pm 

Album art (not particularly safe for work):

Spoiler: show

And an image the band posted to Facebook revealing the release date:

No tracklist announced yet that I can find. Either way, I'm quite looking forward to this, and not just because Cradle's one of my favorite bands. They seem to be at the best they've been in many, many years, especially live, and Dani's voice is at a level it hasn't been since the early 2000s. The last three albums were quite good, so I can only hope Hammer of the Witches is on par with those, if not better.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:39 pm 

I bought Godspeed when it came out and liked three or four tracks quite a bit, but sort of lost interest afterward. The artwork looks a lot better/classier than the pseudo-CGI crap they have been using lately, so let's hope the music holds up.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:45 pm 

Cool. I enjoy Cradle's output, last few albums have been very solid listens (let's forget Thornography ever happened, alright?) and they manage to change the sound just enough to keep it interesting yet familiar. Looking forward to a song.
You'd not take the splendor instilled
And I just couldn’t ask for more"

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:59 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
(let's forget Thornography ever happened, alright?)

And most of Nymphetamine. But honestly, got not problem with the rest of their output. Damnation and a Day is sorely underrated.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:23 pm 

Pretty cool cover art, Satan and nude women, safe but awesome! I might check it out, the last one I heard (and bought) was Godspeed and I liked it. The things I checked from their 2 latest weren't very good at all though. I wasn't even aware that Paul Allender was out (his White Empress band looks terrible), perhaps the 2 new guitarists will be able to reinvigorate the band a little.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:31 pm 

Damnation and a Day just rambled on waaaay too much, and I'm normally a fan of of overstuffed concept albums (though "The Promise of Fever" rips). I've got a soft spot for Thornography, though I totally understand why it's derided, it works in one of those "dumb fun done properly" ways for me.

But yeah, digging the cover art; kind of Dusk-esque and it'd be cool if it ends up being a bit more atmospheric along those lines. The last two albums were good (and Godspeed was great) but suffered from a few unneeded tracks too many.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:52 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Damnation and a Day just rambled on waaaay too much

I agree. Not a terrible album, but mostly forgettable until nearer the end where the best songs reside (Babalon AD, Mannequin, The Smoke of Her Burning). Their output's been decent since Godspeed, so hopefully this will at least be on par with the past three.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:04 pm 

I read one of Cradle's Facebook posts a few weeks back and Dani said something about the new album having a progressive approach. Other than that I really have no clue how this album will turn out, but I'm keen to hear it. Regarding the last three, I like Darkly... the best, and Godspeed... was really good if not too overlong and repetitive. Manticore... was kind of boring to be frank; I can't remember most of the songs on it. I'll have to revisit it.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:38 pm 

Last year I came across this which mentions some song titles: ‘Enshrined in Crematoria,’ ‘Misery Code,’ ‘Yours Immortally,’ ‘Achingly Beautiful, ‘Dantiesque,’ ‘Blackest Magic in Practice’ and ‘Deflowering the Maiden Head/Displeasuring the Goddess.’ But who knows how accurate that will end up being.

They filmed a video for a song called 'Right Wing of the Garden Triptych,' hopefully that will be out in the next few weeks.

So yeah, the artwork is very COF, the song titles are very COF, the only thing that worries me is the massive lineup changes, even by this band's standards.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:17 pm 

Gorgeous artwork! Definitely their best in a long time! Let's hope the music is as good!

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:37 pm 

The artwork is better than Manticore but not as good as Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa. Hopefully the music will be better than the last album as well.

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:45 pm 

That old man's head above the "W" is kind of freaking me out...

Anyway, Manticore wasn't too memorable overall, but I could have fun with all their latest stuff that came after Snorenography.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:06 pm 

Thornography has exactly four good songs: Dirge Inferno, Rise of the Pentagram, Under Huntress Moon, and The Snake Eyes and the Venomous, and that last one isn't even on the main album. Everything else ranges from mediocre to outright shitty. That cover of Temptation in particular is just fucking awful.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:44 am 

Manticore was not the best they could have offered. Mainly because Godspeed and Darkly were excellent albums and they had a much greater work with the keys. I was pleasantly surprised when they came out because I had not expected such a good albums after a couple of mediocre albums.

I have great expectations, the cover album looks good, plus the concept and explanations given by the band about how the album will sound have kept me hyped. I hope they will not disappoint me!

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 am 

Subrick wrote:
Thornography has exactly four good songs: Dirge Inferno, Rise of the Pentagram, Under Huntress Moon, and The Snake Eyes and the Venomous....

Dirge Inferno is mostly good, but the chorus doesn't really do it for me. That's a recurring issue with Thornography - too many choruses are either lackluster or downright annoying. Having heard every Cradle full length except the debut, Thornography is easily the weakest.

I did enjoy your review of Godspeed, by the way. I consider that their best "recent" (past 10 to 12 years) album.

[edit] Re-listening to Thornography now, and I forgot how much I like the chorus to Lovesick for Mina. Still their worst album though, and still plagued by crappy choruses on too many other songs. :nono:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:21 pm 

http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cr ... hes/508035

Tracklist released. The digipak version will have 2 bonus tracks as well.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:37 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Nochielo wrote:
(let's forget Thornography ever happened, alright?)

And most of Nymphetamine. But honestly, got not problem with the rest of their output. Damnation and a Day is sorely underrated.

I may be one of the few people that really likes Nymphetamine, Nemesis and Filthy Little Secret are the two songs that are likely to get skipped, but the rest I enjoy and gets spins every now and then.

Subrick wrote:
Thornography has exactly four good songs: Dirge Inferno, Rise of the Pentagram, Under Huntress Moon, and The Snake Eyes and the Venomous, and that last one isn't even on the main album. Everything else ranges from mediocre to outright shitty. That cover of Temptation in particular is just fucking awful.

I think giving it Under a Huntress Moon is generous and I remember the bonus tracks being better than 80 percent of the album, but I haven't heard those in years. Dirge Inferno is a fun Cradle-in-your-face track but Rise of the Pentagram is untouchable, as far as I'm concerned. What a beautiful song.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:59 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
http://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Cradle_of_Filth/Hammer_of_the_Witches/508035

Tracklist released. The digipak version will have 2 bonus tracks as well.

Almost has Dark Funeral type looking song titles, with dani looking like a member.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:01 pm 

Dunno man, it's typical Cradle of Filth song titles.

I sort of liked Thornography :( Neat trad metal influences, groovy and catchy as fuck. Nymphetamine is their worst in my opinion. I'm revisiting their discography starting with Godspeed and it's as good as I remembered, fucking cool story too. I'll revisit Dusk and Her Embrace, Cruelty and Midian soon too. I was looking at the Dusk booklet and I always liked this picture, I think that's the best one of CoF!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:08 pm 

IMHO, to me their worst is the "From The Cradle To Enslave" EP.

lordcatfish
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:16 pm 

Nochielo wrote:
I may be one of the few people that really likes Nymphetamine, Nemesis and Filthy Little Secret are the two songs that are likely to get skipped, but the rest I enjoy and gets spins every now and then.

I think it's their best post-Midian album. Some tracks are better than others, but I'd say there isn't really a weak song on it (except maybe "Gilded Cunt". It never really clicked with me).

As for Thornography, it's enjoyable enough but certainly one of their weaker albums. "Tonight In Flames", "Lovesick for Mina" and "Under Huntress Moon" are all great songs. I really can't stand the bass drum sound on the album though. Awful.

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:21 pm 

Havent checked out COF since Godspeed(Ten Leagues Beneath Contempt is still one of my favorite COF songs) but this looks pretty awesome.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:34 pm 

Nochielo wrote:

Funny considering Nemesis is one of the few songs on Nymphetamine I really liked.

ChildClownOutlet wrote:
Havent checked out COF since Godspeed(Ten Leagues Beneath Contempt is still one of my favorite COF songs) but this looks pretty awesome.

And that's the only song from Godspeed I don't like.

Oh, and I forgot "Tonight in Flames" when talking about the few good songs from Thornography. I really dug The Foetus of a New Day Kicking years ago when the album first came out, but now it's firmly in with the rest of the album as being not that good.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:59 pm 

Never being much of a CoF fan in the first place, I actually really enjoyed Thornography for leaning on the thrashier side of things than presumably their previous albums. Whether that says anything about their intention with that album or how things were different prior to or after it doesn't have much bearing on me - I like it for what it is on its own. Nevertheless, the titles here do pique my interest. Maybe it's time to go back and revisit them in full.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:18 pm 

Well Thornography is mostly speed metal with some thrash elements and the occasional blackened flourishes. It's also their most uninspired album to date. It's a constant question of whether it's worse than Damnation and a Day, though. That album's pretty bad, and it has even less good songs on it.

DaBuddha
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:37 pm 

I'm greatly anticipating this album and I hope the change of guitar players has brought in some fresh ideas and reinvigorated the music. The last 3 albums all somewhat sounded the same. They each had that one token catchy, radio song and the rest were either super fast or thrashy. I also hope the t-shirt designs are better than they've been in recent years.
We spread our wings and fly away

Just tell Nocturno Culto you were too busy getting stoned to burn down churches, he'll understand.
Darkthrone - My Anti-Drug

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:33 pm 

The last three albums are similar but different. Godspeed was like a modern answer to Dusk and Her Embrace, combining both savage brutality and haunting atmosphere. DDVA is plagued by a poor mix that places the synths above the guitars, but musically it's a little more savage and extreme than the previous. Manticore was like turn-of-the-century Cradle riffs mixed with Dimmu Borgir orchestra, only not bloated and accenting the music rather than swallowing everything whole.

Also, they still produce the Jesus is a Cunt shirt, so to me, any of their modern shirts don't matter.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:10 am 

I really liked Manticore so I'll be checking this out.

Necrobiotik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:30 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

I sort of liked Thornography :( Neat trad metal influences, groovy and catchy as fuck. Nymphetamine is their worst in my opinion. I'm revisiting their discography starting with Godspeed and it's as good as I remembered, fucking cool story too. I'll revisit Dusk and Her Embrace, Cruelty and Midian soon too. I was looking at the Dusk booklet and I always liked this picture, I think that's the best one of CoF!

Sextrash ?

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 pm 

Yeah, they were very heavy into the whole vampirism thing back in the mid-90s. Principle, Vempire, and Dusk both deal heavily with the subject, and Cruelty's about the literal Blood Countess.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:41 pm 

Subrick wrote:
Yeah, they were very heavy into the whole vampirism thing back in the mid-90s. Principle, Vempire, and Dusk both deal heavily with the subject, and Cruelty's about the literal Blood Countess.

Even though I like all of their albums, I really miss the vampiric years! ;)

HenryKrinkle31
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:56 pm 

Hell yes. I know this band gets shat on quite a bit, but I love them anyway, so I will look forward to this and most likely enjoy the shit out of it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:06 pm 

Unity wrote:
Subrick wrote:

Even though I like all of their albums, I really miss the vampiric years! ;)

There's at least one song about vampires on the new one, "The Vampyre at My Side"! Daniel's lyrics are so great, one of the best lyricists in metal, for sure.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:25 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

IIRC this pic was also released as a poster with the girl having no clothes on (at least her top)…

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:41 pm 

Now that variant on the poster I've never seen. Not even on Cradle's forums, which has a many years old thread for rare and obscure pictures of the band.

Deviante
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:49 am 

Looking forward to this. They've been on a decent roll since Godspeed (which is the best of their latest three), albeit Manticore was a step down from the previous two albums.

What is making me the most interested in this new album is the fact CoF have been killing it live since like '14 again and the fact they have new blood in the band. I was thoroughly impressed at some of their recent live vids from 2014 (like this) - Dani hadn't sounded that good since like '99ish. I dunno what happened to the man as I don't follow the band so much anymore, but it's quite baffling if you consider the fact he sucked live for like over 10 years and then all of a sudden he pulls off those vocals in his 40s - without looking at the video I might be thinking I were listening to the 90s CoF...

Anyway, I think there is a lot of potential in here that they could tap into, if the new guitarists deliver in the riffage department and if they decide to go for a more extreme approach, closer to their 90s-era.

Time will tell.

Nochielo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:47 am 

Deviante wrote:
live vids from 2014 (like this)

Goodness gracious, that's sick! Dani ripped through that. Hearing songs off Cruelty (my favorite album by them) being made justice is amazing. Since Marthus came in it's like the glory days all over again. I think the guy may have had a big hand in their resurgence, but I can only speculate.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:05 am 

Deviante wrote:
-post about Dani's vocals-

And remember that Dani's a smoker too, so it's even crazier that his voice is as good as it is right now.

HobbyGobby
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:29 pm 

I was really surprised to see this. I was certain that Dani's voice was just going to give out. Might be an interesting listen regardless. I was not a fan of their last album by any means though, so we'll see how this goes.

LordEuronymous
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 9:37 am 

Subrick wrote:

V Empire, not Vempire... people often think it's mistitled as "V Empire" but it's not. It is literally the Roman numeral "V" and Empire which makes sense considering it's Cradle's fifth release. That being said, that EP has the best production any Cradle release has ever had and is one of my favourites.

I can't wait for the new album, I think their past 3 albums are a bit repetitive and now that Paul is finally gone there'll hopefully be some (positive) difference. Every song sounds similar to each other on their past 3 albums, I liked several songs though: Shat out of Hell, Honey and Sulphur, Darkness Incarnate, The Cult of Venus Aversa, Deceiving Eyes, Lilith Immaculate, The Spawn of Love and War, The Abhorrent and Siding with the Titans are all great songs.

Deviante wrote:
Looking forward to this. They've been on a decent roll since Godspeed (which is the best of their latest three), albeit Manticore was a step down from the previous two albums.

What is making me the most interested in this new album is the fact CoF have been killing it live since like '14 again and the fact they have new blood in the band. I was thoroughly impressed at some of their recent live vids from 2014 (like this) - Dani hadn't sounded that good since like '99ish. I dunno what happened to the man as I don't follow the band so much anymore, but it's quite baffling if you consider the fact he sucked live for like over 10 years and then all of a sudden he pulls off those vocals in his 40s - without looking at the video I might be thinking I were listening to the 90s CoF...

Anyway, I think there is a lot of potential in here that they could tap into, if the new guitarists deliver in the riffage department and if they decide to go for a more extreme approach, closer to their 90s-era.

Time will tell.

Dani had vocal nodules in the mid 2000s which is one reason, and he had an allergic reaction to yeast products (beer, bread, etc.) which fucked up his throat more. During 2004 he lost his voice and canceled a lot of concerts. And yeah, the recent concerts are fucking amazing:

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next