Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:25 pm 

New song sample can be found here:
https://www.profoundlorerecords.com/aby ... new-album/

From Profound Lore,
Quote:
With “Antikatastaseis”, ABYSSAL have taken things to a much more notable level of grandeur. With a more refined sound and production, “Antikatastaseis” takes the band’s level of dark atmosphere, ambience, and abstract death metal technicality to a sonic plateau even more massive and monolithic. A bit different than the previous full-lengths, while not forsaking the sheer brutality and darkness, “Antikatastaseis” brings more clarity and melody to the ABYSSAL sound with the addition of even more experimental dark ambient noise-like segues, while heightening the sense of abstraction and technicality even more.

To be released June 23rd, tracklisting for “Antikatastaseis” goes as follows:

I Am The Alpha And The Omega
The Cornucopian
Veil Of Transcendence
Telomeric Erosion
A Casual Landscape
Chrysalis
Delere Auctorem Rerum Ut Universum Infinitum Noscas

Here's the artwork,
Spoiler: show

I already like the song better than anything on “Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." Seems to bring back some of the grandeur and melody that made “Denouement” so good but that was sadly missing on "Novit..." I was really hoping to see a new album from these guys this year, and in true Abyssal fashion the announcement came out of nowhere. I am very excited.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:03 pm 

Yeeeeesssssssss! One of my favourite bands ever. Can't listen to the song right now but I can't wait for this. This band has released 2 essentially perfect albums. Thats some great art, too.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:15 pm 

Very awesome I was wondering when the next installment would be coming.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 pm 

Oh yes! Unfortunately I'm in the same position and can't listen to the new track at work, gonna be in my mind all day. But cannot wait, love both albums these guys have put out

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 am 

Sounds totally great as usual. I'm not noticing anything really dramatically different as the post suggests, it's still sounds like Abyssal only more fuller in it's audio soundscape, maybe more overt melody than usual but the riffs by and large are consistent with what's come before, it sounds more beat driven and commonly structured too.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:45 am 

this is gonna be awesome, love both their albums lot's and that song is great.

Last.fm

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:24 am 

Pretty good track, no riffs as expected for a band moving onto Profound Lore, but it's got a great sound and plenty of energy.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:18 am 

Bigger fan of Denouement over Novit but I welcome the new album nonetheless. Currently listening to the track and it sounds evil and dark as fuck!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:23 am 

Oh my yes. The new song sounds great, can't wait to hear the whole thing.

edit: Listened through Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius twice again today. God damn this album is good, just bleak as hell. Really stoked for more.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:32 pm 

I enjoyed the track a bit more of a 'wash' in the riffing department but I'm quite fine with it.

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:09 pm 

Damn, and here I thought they couldn't get any more massive

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:10 pm 

This is fucking great. The track ruled hard, and it sounds like they have an actual drummer? Or am I just wishing that? Either way, this goes on my to buy list, and to echo the sentiments on the cover, yes it's awesome. Good news indeed.

My collection

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:20 pm 

I've never really listened to this band but that cover is absolutely gorgeous and makes me want to check em out.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:59 pm 

Another new track, with once again, a beautiful display of melody. Already digging these two new songs A LOT
http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2015/06 ... c-erosion/

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:51 pm 

Very excited for this one. Fuck guitar riffs.

EDIT: that last part of the new song just melted my mind. I also like how they snuck the fucking circus riff into whatever they were playing at the beginning

Cruciphage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:58 pm 

Went to check it out at Profound Lore and discovered the album is shipping before its expected release date. You can order it right now, which you should do. They've been one of my favorite bands since I discovered them and I've actually been checking Metal Archives every day since the beginning of the year to see if there was any word on a new album. "Perfect" is about the only word that comes to mind when I listen to this band.

ColdBecoming
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:43 pm 

whole thing now streaming at profound lore bandcamp, guess my weekend plans are sorted now:

https://profoundlorerecords.bandcamp.com/album/antikatastaseis

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:41 am 

^ This is really damn good. Probably my favourite of Abyssal so far, there's just so much melody and variety in drums and guitar, a little like Owl's first in some ways. Felt genuine moments of spine chills from the epic nature of some sections, particularly the last 11 minute song.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:52 am 

I'd say this could be the best from them so far, and I was not expecting them to top “Denouement."

How they seamlessly have blended this brand of death metal with soaring melodies (which at times resemble something you'd hear from a post-black metal band) is amazing.

Easily one of the more immediately impressive albums of 2015.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:51 am 

Curious why nobody has shared their thoughts besides the OP. I'm gonna assume most are waiting to hear it on CD, or waiting for the perfect audio set up. Listening to it by flaming torch light under a glowing red moon.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:13 pm 

yea I like having the album in my hands before I listen. I expect greatness

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:22 pm 

I’m not 100% sure how I feel after a few spins. It certainly is more diverse but it wanders a fair bit into warm, dreamy territory. Heck some parts are positively uplifting! Some of the experimentation works (the choir-esque voices on Casual Landscape are sick as hell) but other parts, ehhh not as much.

Considered by itself the album is pretty damn impressive and the majority of it is exactly what I was hoping for. But it doesn’t quite have the same feel of being a giant fucking monolith of crushing, enveloping bleakness. I’ll have to listen to it more though, it’ll probably grow on me.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:40 am 

This absolutely rules (though I'm only on the first track right now...). It feels a lot more immediate than the last record, and I really love the soaring lead melodies.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:52 am 

I'm not completely sold on "Antikatastaseis".
I absolutely love "Novit Enim Dominus Qui Sunt Eius", but "Denouement" didn't do anything for me, as it was far more too ambient for my taste, and I find that "Antikatastaseis" is in the same vein.

That aesthetic choice of mixing ambient loops with actual metal riffing is rather dubious to my ears (piano part in Veil of Transcendence, chanting in A Casual Landscape). It sounds like I'm listening to a metal album while playing a game whose music I forgot to turn off...

Some parts are really enjoyable, but I don't find it a great album.

Also, am I the only one to hear some later-DsO influences?
To separate art from entertainment doesn't make sense anymore.

my trade list

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:28 am 

What were they thinking when they arranged that music box or whateverthefuck part in Veil of Transcendence? It doesn't start to make sense or sound remotely good layered behind the guitars until the song is almost over. It's actually incredibly annoying...the rest of the album is pretty solid, though I think I still like the previous two more.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:36 pm 

Dragunov wrote:
What were they thinking when they arranged that music box or whateverthefuck part in Veil of Transcendence? It doesn't start to make sense or sound remotely good layered behind the guitars until the song is almost over. It's actually incredibly annoying...the rest of the album is pretty solid, though I think I still like the previous two more.

I'm pretty sure that was completely intended. And I like the idea behind it. They make you want to enjoy a more solemn, tranquil part on the album only to bludgeon it to death at the moment you would expect one of the more uplifting, epic riffs to come in. And during it your mind focuses on the piano, as it's the most recognizable part of the music, while it's being violated by the rest of the music. And they top it off by uniting the two at the end of the song. I just don't yet know if I actually like the idea in action. :-P

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:46 pm 

^ The concept may be interesting, but the result is disappointing.

my trade list

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:08 pm 

Actually I thought Abyssal left it in the mix without a fade accidentally. It's only one song though so it's hardly bothersome.

I don't see the 'obvious Denouement similarity' the above poster mentioned.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:52 pm 

Well, Denouement and Antikatastaseis share a similarity in the fact that they both have too much ambient parts that disrupt the flow of the music, whereas Novit is just a grinding behemoth from start to finish.

But I'm probably biased as I am not really an ambient fan.

my trade list

Dragunov
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:39 am 

henkkjelle wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was completely intended. And I like the idea behind it. They make you want to enjoy a more solemn, tranquil part on the album only to bludgeon it to death at the moment you would expect one of the more uplifting, epic riffs to come in. And during it your mind focuses on the piano, as it's the most recognizable part of the music, while it's being violated by the rest of the music. And they top it off by uniting the two at the end of the song. I just don't yet know if I actually like the idea in action. :-P

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. I've listened to the album a few more times over the past couple days, and that particular part hasn't quite grown on me yet. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

Oddeye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:02 pm 

I literally discovered this album and it fucking crushes. Had to order it directly.

Dragunov wrote:
henkkjelle wrote:
Dragunov wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was completely intended. And I like the idea behind it. They make you want to enjoy a more solemn, tranquil part on the album only to bludgeon it to death at the moment you would expect one of the more uplifting, epic riffs to come in. And during it your mind focuses on the piano, as it's the most recognizable part of the music, while it's being violated by the rest of the music. And they top it off by uniting the two at the end of the song. I just don't yet know if I actually like the idea in action.

Yeah, that makes sense I guess. I've listened to the album a few more times over the past couple days, and that particular part hasn't quite grown on me yet. Maybe it will, maybe it won't.

This part is the only thing that I am not sure that I like about this album. The music box takes away all the focus from the heavy guitars which is perplexing. I also thought it might be a mistake, it would be interesting to hear the bands comments about it.

One thing is for sure, I never quite heard anything like this before. Maybe it will grow on me.

DeathfareDevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:44 pm 

That "music box" part, which unless we're talking about two different things just sounds like a piano to me, is probably my favorite passage on the album and one of the coolest things I've heard in a while. It feels cinematic but in a crazy and intense Requiem for a Dream way, that simple theme repeating amid the chaos and getting crushed under the weight of all the other music rising around it, til everything is united in that final melodic resolution (which could've gone on forever as far as I'm concerned). I get chills now just hearing it in my head. I admit that it was a little odd at first, but like I said, once the music synced back up, everything made sense and felt sublime.

Whatever I'd been expecting from Abyssal, this album is beyond it. I get that it's not as relentlessly pulverizing and disorienting as the last one, and I can understand why that won't appeal to folks, but for me, the balance between harsh and tranquil (at least by Abyssal standards) is much appreciated. My only two complaints are a) it begins to feel formulaic, as almost every song has that same pattern of building to a kind of post-rock crescendo, and b) those crescendos sometimes fade out too soon. Other than that, consider me wowed.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:53 pm 

DeathfareDevil wrote:
Whatever I'd been expecting from Abyssal, this album is beyond it. I get that it's not as relentlessly pulverizing and disorienting as the last one, and I can understand why that won't appeal to folks, but for me, the balance between harsh and tranquil (at least by Abyssal standards) is much appreciated.

I think if I had discovered this album out of the blue I would have been doing back flips. It really is pretty damn awesome. Buuuuut I can't quite shake the feeling that some parts are just a bit too mellow and dreamy, compared to what I had expected anyway.

Fair play for Abyssal, he obviously wanted to do something more dynamic and I'd say he succeeded for the most part.

Reply to topic