Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
All Music Is Bad Or Okay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:19 pm 

This is my first post, just to get that outta the way.
I'm super into bands like Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Siouxsie, even Depeche Mode honestly, and I'm looking for bands that are influenced by that kinda noise. I'm looking for bands more like Atriarch than Paradise Lost (Although I do like some of those early albums)

I have a preference for black metal, but if anyone knows other, non-cheesey goth influenced bands of different style I'm open to checkin' 'em out, gimme suggestions pls! Thank you.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:02 pm 

Well the easy recommendation is In Solitude's last album Sister.
I haven't heard the yet to be released Tribulation song save for one song but if its a representative track they seem to be headed in a similar direction.

I guess if you like Fields of the Nephilim you could check out Solstafir.

All Music Is Bad Or Okay
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:41 pm 

I'm digging the In Solitude album, thnx for the recommendation. I've definitely listened to Solstafir before but I'll revisit it because I don't remember it at all.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:40 am 

Fields of the Nephilim's last two albums were pretty much metal as it is. Especially the last one (Mourning Sun) was brilliant.

Also, some of Killing Joke's albums are pretty metal : for eg. Hosannas ... and the s/t from 2003.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 am 

Tiamat's late 90s to late 2000s albums definitely have a strong Sisters of Mercy streak throughout them. 'Skeleton Skeletron' isn't really metal, but it's some of the closest Sisters of Mercy worship I've heard. 'Prey' and 'Amanethes' are metal, and also have quite a bit of SoM influence; a song like "Light in Extension" is pretty easy to tell, while others are more subtle, but it's one of the better recs out there, I'd say.

KaiKasparek wrote:
Every Ozzy solo up to No More Tears is essential USPM

Jophelerx wrote:
If you think heavy metal and USPM are the same, why use the term USPM at all?

KaiKasparek wrote:
Exactly.......

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:54 am 

Moonspell, especially their "Irreligious", "Darkness And Hope", "Sin/Pecado" and "The Butterfly Effect" albums.

Rosner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:18 pm 

You should check Nightingale's debut album ""The Breathing Shadow": Dan Swanö is a big fan of gothic rock and the album pays tribute to the genre in some sort of way.

Katatonia's Discouraged Ones is, IMO, their most gothic rock-esque album. It really sounds like a heavier version of The Cure (mostly thanks to Jonas Renkse impersonating Robert Smith), and it's very depressing:

Aégis by Theatre of Tragedy is a very good album in this style. It may seem a cheesy goth band at first, but it has a really cool All About Eve/The Eden House vibe to it:

Type O Negative is an easy answer (R.I.P. Peter Steele, 5 years today). The had a HUGE gothic rock influence (they even used a drum machine like Sisters of Mercy's Doktor Avalanche) on their classic album October Rust:

Also you should listen to Nefilim's Zoon: when Carl McCoy disbanded Fields of the Nephilim, he made an industrial/death metal album with A LOT of gothic influences; is like Fields of the Nefilim with metal riffing:

Speaking of Nefilim, when McCoy reunited Fields of the Nephilim, some of the member of Nefilim formed their own band, NFD: it's a like a softer Nefilim, with pretty good riffing. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it:

Finally, I want to recommend two albums that may seem awkwardly placed here, but trust me, they are very related to gothic rock. The first one is Kreator's Endorama: a very different album for the band, it's really influenced by goth in an awesome way:

Hell, the even did a cover of Lucretia My Reflection!

And the other album is Rotting Christ's A Dead Poem: they were in Century Media's rooster in the second half of the 90s, a time when a lot of the label's bands started to change their style to incorporate a lot of gothic rock influences. They have a couple of albums that mix their characteristic style of black metal with gothic rock, but A Dead Poem is my favourite. Maybe not what you are really looking for, but it's worth a try:

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:55 pm 

Self-promotion alert.

The band I currently play in may be of interest: Jesus Fix. Kind of metallic goth/punk which I always describe to people as a mix of Killing Joke, The Cult and Motorhead. New album coming soon, but here's a selection of old tracks from before I joined their ranks:

https://jesusfix.bandcamp.com/track/jesus-fix
https://jesusfix.bandcamp.com/track/judgement
https://jesusfix.bandcamp.com/track/die-again
https://jesusfix.bandcamp.com/track/forever

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:40 am 

The name "Jesus Fix" reminded me of a band I haven't heard in a hot fucking minute, Creaming Jesus. I'm not sure if they meet the prerequisite of not being cheesy, but I'm also pretty certain that no goth or post-punk-influenced metal band does, so:

and a questionable Cure cover for good measure:

(actually, it's not all together terrible, but I think it could've benefited a lot just from having tighter musicianship)

Also, someone on here recommended Hybernoid to me some time ago, and they had a nice, gloomy post-punk influence in their music, so I figure this is a good place to recycle that recommendation on their behalf:

In a similar vein to Hybernoid but way more Godflesh-y, there's Spinewrench:

Of these three, Hybernoid probably comes closest to Atriarch.

Just for good measure, here's Shadow Project, though they sound more like Sabbath-influenced deathrock than anything like JD or KJ. Maybe you won't hate them:

and one of the more withdrawn tracks that has a bit more in common with the "post-punk sound":

balbulus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:27 am 

Seconding the Hybernoid rec above, I can't believe I didn't think of them myself. Superb band. In fact it may well have been me that recommended them to you before, I used to rec them all the time.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:44 am 

It may have been you (if so, thanks. I've recommended them loads myself in turn).

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:21 pm 

Moonspell, especially their "Irreligious", "Darkness And Hope", "Sin/Pecado", "The Butterfly Effect" and "Omega White" albums.

TheUnhinged
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:08 pm 

Glad I found this thread, this is the kind of stuff I love. I'm very surprised to see no mention of Tiamat, Stillborn, or Babylon Whores in here.

However, since OP seems to be looking for something a bit darker, here are a few bands that I feel may be a bit closer to something like Atriarch in terms of execution and bleakness.

The Gault - Even As All Before Us (pure blend of deathrock and drone/doomy stuff)

Beyond Dawn - Pity Love (kind of like My Dying Bride meets Sisters of Mercy, topped off with some avant-garde stuff along the way)

Lavra - Bluenothing (once again, perhaps a bit overly experimental, but generally a blend of gothic rock and doom)

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:02 pm 

The industrial metal band Punish Yourself may be a bit overproduced, but still has some goth vibe on it

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:33 pm 

Two of my favorite black metal bands that apparently take big cues from dark 80's post-punk are Forgotten Woods and Verdunkeln.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 pm 

Forgotten Woods da bess. I'd recommend the first Joyless album too if you like Forgotten Woods, OP.

I'd even recommend checking out the subsequent Joyless albums, though they're not metal.

ColeMiner
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:03 am 

Check out Dreadful Shadows. They are more rock than metal to me but they are in the archives. Sounds like a darker metallic version of The Cure

into_the_pit
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:00 am 

try ghost kommando (nice fitting vocal delivery especially) and von goat/sixx/von sirius. all pretty much different, but some of these might fit your vague request.
"Chainsaw Gutsfuck."

Yayattasa
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 10:32 am 

The whole 90's death doom scene evolved to something more or less like that in the 2000s.
I refuse to give metalsucks any web traffic.

Dr_Prozac
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:42 am 

Try 13 candles, I've heard some of their stuff and it sounds to me like purely goth rock, but theymust have at least some metal influence in some of their albums because they are in the archives (http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/13_Candles/17379)

They have already mentioned Aegis by Theatre of Tragedy but I must insist, this is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

You may also try with some of the stuff by On Thorns I Lay

You can also try Lacuna Coil until Comalies (included).

And though I think this bands are more influenced by classic/symphonic music than by goth rock you may like Morten Veland era Tristania and the first two albums by Sirenia, specially At Sixes and Sevens

Another band that I think you would find worth trying is Draconian, though it's mostly a doom metal band.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:50 pm 

Early septic flesh?

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:00 pm 

You guys, I'm pretty sure OP's not coming back... :lol:

Karlabos
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:37 pm 

Who cares about the OP? I came here to see the recs myself =p