Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:21 am 

Hey, I thought we start up a non-metal 2015 album thread. I'm sure there's lots of albums to look out for so let's hear it!

Additionally I have trouble keeping up with bands outside of metal so this'd be a good way to update my and everyone's memory with recent news.

For myself personally, there's retro space-synth Dynatron's latest which I imagine will be more dramatic and powerful than before, new synth artists usually get better with each album, and hopefully The Prodigy will lift their game and deliver something that at least equals or surpasses The Fat of the Land. Ok, your turn!

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:42 am 

First of all, I hope the latest Rome album will be released in a normal version. I bought the "Die Aesthetik der Herrschaftsfreiheit" box set, but this time I felt there was too much stuff I don't care about included in the deluxe version for "A Passage To Rhodesia", plus the price was higher, even the minimum price of ca. 86€ was way more than I would have wanted to spend on this.

Other than that, I certainly look forward to the second Beastmilk album. With Kvohst on the mic, there isn't much they could do wrong. Same goes for Vaura, but right now, I'd probably rather like to hear yet another Kayo Dot release, "Hubardo" and "Coffins on Io" were both simply brilliant.

I would love to hear a new album from Oneohtrix Point Never next year. "R Plus Seven" was kind of a mind-blowing experience for me.

And that remix-album for Run The Jewels 2 with only cat sounds being used is a definite buy for 2015 :-D

Additionally, I'm hoping for new stuff from Infected Mushroom, Klimt1918, The Knife or Fever Ray, Ulver, Julia Holter and many more.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:37 pm 

First of all, I'm waiting for Arditi's "Imposing Elitism" to be released on CD, since it has only come out on tape. Besides that, I can't wait for the new Marilyn Manson and the new Prodigy.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:58 pm 

I'd say Faith No More will be the most hyped release of the year and with good reason. Personally I don't know how they couldn't deliver in terms of their multiple style output, the two new songs available aren't exactly exciting but I imagine it'll be better than Album of The Year.

I'm curious about Red Hot Chili Peppers 2015 release, because the funk/rap style seems to be on the back burner and I'm curious if they will reinvent themselves well with all the talk Flea has promised. Certainly they produce better music when not vying for a double album, Stadium Arcadium was mostly tired and forgettable.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:42 am 

Yeah, I find it a little odd next to no one has commented yet given it's such an easily approachable thread question prime for discussion but whatever.

I'm keen for Songs from The Black Hole by Prong as Ruining Lives was easily Prong's best release to date. Every song hit a home run with plenty of variety and no tracks were skippable, that's gotta be some record in terms of groove rock/metal. I think a majority of bands can do cover songs exceptionally if given the appropriate spin so we'll see how it goes. After rising above and beyond the forgettable 'Carved into Stone', I see nothing but great things.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:55 pm 

According to Wikipedia there are a few releases in 2015.

Faith No More, Noel Gallagher, Coldplay, Duran Duran, Fleetwood Mac, Muse The Offspring, RHCP. The one I hope turns good is Muse, I was really disappointed by their much lighter albums in the past few years. I want something heavy from them.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:19 am 

Yahko wrote:
According to Wikipedia there are a few releases in 2015.

Faith No More, Noel Gallagher, Coldplay, Duran Duran, Fleetwood Mac, Muse The Offspring, RHCP. The one I hope turns good is Muse, I was really disappointed by their much lighter albums in the past few years. I want something heavy from them.

I'll be satisfied if they release something similar to The Resistance, although I would greatly favor a harder edge to their music such as found on Showbiz. I thought their latest was bullocks apart from a couple of songs, just an overblown mix of non-enjoyable music with very little to remark about, other than Muse trying to be Queen.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:32 am 

...I'm excited for the upcoming Jack Ü, What So Not and Skrillex EPs.

*is an enemy of music*
Hehe, foreskins.

Exigence

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:06 pm 

I feel like Tom Waits is plotting something but chalk that up to hopeless optimism.

Z0MBIE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:57 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I feel like Tom Waits is plotting something but chalk that up to hopeless optimism.

*EXCITED....EXCITED...Excited...fuck.*

Seriously, I hope you're right, even though I haven't seen or read anything that would indicate something new.
Lesson #0 in life: don't be a fucking retard.

childrenofthenight wrote:
Would you say you were touched by Satan's Almighty Penis?

Last.fm

Exigence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:23 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Seriously, I hope you're right, even though I haven't seen or read anything that would indicate something new.

He signed with a new booking agent and there were just rumors of a tour brewing. Seriously he keeps shit so under wraps, the last update on his site was hyping Chucky Weiss' new album back in the Spring.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 pm 

Z0MBIE wrote:
Exigence wrote:

Just remember Aphex Twin released his new album after however many years and total lack of updates this year. Might happen.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:36 am 

Unity wrote:
First of all, I'm waiting for Arditi's "Imposing Elitism" to be released on CD, since it has only come out on tape. Besides that, I can't wait for the new Marilyn Manson and the new Prodigy.

you really should get a tape copy, tapes capture the pure totalitarian soul of the music better than cds do

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:50 pm 

bug_man wrote:
Unity wrote:

you really should get a tape copy, tapes capture the pure totalitarian soul of the music better than cds do

Heh, I guess so, but I'm more into CDs! ;)

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:09 pm 

I`m looking forward to a lot of non-metal stuff, primarily Kendrick Lamar, Lupe Fiasco, Sleater-Kinney, Ice Cube, Tech N9ne, Method Man And Redman, Nas, MC Ren, Cypress Hill and Q-Tip. Gonna be a great year for hip-hop.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:00 pm 

The new Prodigy is coming!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_Is_My_Enemy

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:27 am 

Rumours going around of a new Death in June album later this year.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:29 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

Hooray! I'm always up for some new DI6.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:30 am 

Unity wrote:
The new Prodigy is coming!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_Is_My_Enemy

All the demo's and live versions I've heard sound much better than Invaders Must Die. Much more simple and less happy rave.

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:53 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:

i wonder if it will be better than that boring as hell piano thing

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:36 am 

Lana del Rey and Of Monster and Men are the most anticipated releases for me. I think that the dubstep trio Nero will be release a new album as well. I hope that London Grammar will release something new too, their debut was a tasteful piece of art.

Trobar de Morte(fantasy/folk music) will release a new album, more great news for me. :D

Fejd(svensk folkmusik) will release a new album, probably in the second half of this year, as far as I know they were going to add electric guitars, something which dissapoints me deeply.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:20 am 

Honestly, don't really know what's suppose to come out this year but I'll respond to a few things said in the thread. A new Tom Waits album would be really cool, although I feel like his last one, while good, was a very average album in comparison to his usual standard. Kendrick Lamar and Nas should be cool, even if Nas albums always have a fair amount of filler these days (he's still the fucking man and Illmatic is the best hip-hop album in the history of the genre). Lamar is one of the only mainstream rappers with any talent these days. Can't say I'm overly exited by a new D16, while I love some of his older material, most of the newer stuff I've heard left me rather apathetic. Also, Man's Gin will be releasing the previously unavailable Rum Demos from 2005 in August and I'd be really interesting in hearing those.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:02 pm 

Yeezy season approachin

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:59 pm 

Neither Billy Talent nor The Hives haven't released anything in three years, so with any luck we'll get one of each!

~Guest 214846
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:41 pm 

Scorntyrant wrote:

There's a recent interview where he mentions the working title as "What Will Become Of Us" and that he's planning it for 2016.
http://deathinjune.org/wiki/index.php?t ... ve_Loafing

There hasn't been anything announced yet that I'm too hyped about. I'm assuming there will be a new Lust for Youth release at some point considering their past release schedule, so I'm down with that.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:39 am 

VERY excited there will finally be a new Zombi album this year. After the successful tour in 2013 with Goblin and Steve Moore filling in for their 2014 shows, they'll hopefully get some more exposure when it's released. My expectations are stratospheric, but I'm confident the duo will deliver.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:09 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:
Neither Billy Talent nor The Hives haven't released anything in three years, so with any luck we'll get one of each!

I don't know about The Hives but Billy Talent released an album two years ago and a best of last year with two new songs. They potentially could release an album late this year but I'm think it'll be next year.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:27 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

Billy Talent released an album two years ago and a best of last year with two new songs.

Dead Silence came out in 2012. All of their albums have been 3 years apart give or take a couple months. But you're right, given the best of it's likely a new one won't be until 2016.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:22 pm 

Right now it's Ghost Atlas' Immortal Youth. Didn't even know this was dropping until last week. Jesse Cash is on a streak of phenomenal material. If you're into rock / post-hardcore or Erra then this is a must.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctUUT729fwE

Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Windom Earle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:03 am 

I'm hoping Actress puts out something new. Anything really would be awesome. Basic House. Burial! Cheatahs. Inventions. I can't wait for the new Strung Out album.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:01 am 

Jesus has ANYONE heard this new Retox song yet?

Man this is good stuff.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:34 am 

Yeah I like it quite a bit although I do prefer YPLL. It's maybe a touch under The Dillinger Escape Plan due to lack of singing and vocal harmony but songs are short and fast tempo so it's not much of a bother, 'Death Will Change Your Life', 'We Know Who's The Prick', 'The Inevitable End', plus the single are probably my favourite tracks. I usually throw in Fascination Street from the split as a bonus track to finish.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:44 am 

I generally let non metal was over me much more. MA does make it a lot easier to keep track of non metal. I am looking forward to the new Magma however.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:28 pm 

Newest Europe single "War of Kings" sounds very promising. New Whitesnake is being announced soon too.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:58 am 

Rainbow wrote:
Newest Europe single "War of Kings" sounds very promising. New Whitesnake is being announced soon too.

I really need to check this out. I have alwyas liked Europe and they are absolutely awesome on the stage.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:07 am 

I'm actually waiting how the new Florence and the Machine album would turn like. I fully listened to both Ceremonials and Lungs, the past few weeks, and she grew on me. I always knew the name and a few singles like Shake It Out and Dog Days are Over.

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:34 pm 

The new UFO album is actually pretty good. It starts a bit slowly but pucks up and Vinnie Moore shreds on some of the songs. I'm liking it a lot.

Like your reviews?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:29 pm 

New Godspeed You! Black Emperor due at the end of March. This one's only a single LP, 40-ish minutes. I'm actually real excited about it since I do enjoy Slow Riot quite a bit and even think that the individual discs of Lift Your Skinny Fists... work really well as 40-ish minute albums. It's probably blasphemy or whatever but I also found those two ambient tracks on the 2012 album to be pretty dull affairs and would have preferred that album without them, but the other two tracks were incredible so I have high hopes.

More info: http://cstrecords.com/cst111/

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

NewEnglandDoom
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:12 pm 

The new John Sykes album. 15 years since his last one. I can't wait.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:22 pm 

Pines is pretty sweet. It's from the Zeitgester music group, same guys that formed Valborg, Owl, and Klabautamann.

https://zeitgeister.bandcamp.com/album/five-letters

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next