Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:39 pm 

From the Dark Tranquillity Facebook page...

We're pleased to announce our 2015 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR with no other than Insomnium. These are the currently confirmed dates:

Jan 4: New York, NY - The Gramercy Theatre
Jan 5: West Springfield, VA - Empire
Jan 6: Philadelphia, PA - The Trocadero
Jan 7: Worcester, MA - The Palladium
Jan 8: Quebec City, QC - Dagobert
Jan 9: Montreal, QC - FouFounes
Jan 10: Ottawa, ON - Mavericks
Jan 11: Toronto, ON - Opera House
Jan 12: Pittsburgh, PA - Altar Bar
Jan 13: Cleveland, OH - Agora Ballroom
Jan 14: Kokomo, IN - Centerstage
Jan 15: Joliet, IL - Mojoes
Jan 16: Minnesota, MN - Triple Rock Social Club
Jan 17: Winnipeg, MB - The West End Cultural Center
Jan 18: Saskatoon, SK - Louis Pub
Jan 19: Edmonton, AB - Starlite Room
Jan 20: Calgary, AB - Republik
Jan 22: Vancouver, BC - The Venue
Jan 23: Seattle, WA - El Corazon
Jan 24: Portland, OR - Hawthorne Theatre
Jan 25: San Fransisco, CA - Slims
Jan 26: Anaheim, CA - The Grove
Jan 27: Tempe, AZ - Club Red
Jan 29: Dallas, TX - Neon Trees

Like your reviews?

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:02 pm 

Saw them live in 2010, damn good show. I'll keep eyeing this as the year progresses to see if I can make it.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:29 pm 

By this point I've seen DT 8 times and it's getting old. Maybe if they change-up the setlist a bit it could be interesting but other than that, meh.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:37 pm 

Marking my calendar!

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:42 pm 

Holy ass fuck. *Checks Jan 23rd*

[Friday]

:bow:

My first concert was DT back in 2007 and that was the only time I saw them. Insomnium I've never seen and of course I love them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:44 pm 

I'll be going but I'm really not happy about the Chicago land venue, Mojoes kinda sucks and they pretty well butchered the sound for DT last time around. And fingers crossed they don't bring Omnium Gatherum back again.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:40 pm 

Ooohh. Never seen these guys before but I did see I think a live stream or DVD recording of them in Italy one time and it was pretty cool. I don't get why they're announcing it so incredibly far in advance though.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:10 pm 

Looks like I'll be going to Virginia for this one.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:09 pm 

Indecency wrote:
Ooohh. Never seen these guys before but I did see I think a live stream or DVD recording of them in Italy one time and it was pretty cool. I don't get why they're announcing it so incredibly far in advance though.

That was most likely Where Death is Most Alive, filmed in Milan. A good recording! And I've yet to see them myself. I always seem to be busy when they come around but I'm adamant about seeing them this time.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:58 am 

Mysticaloldbard wrote:
That was most likely Where Death is Most Alive, filmed in Milan. A good recording! And I've yet to see them myself. I always seem to be busy when they come around but I'm adamant about seeing them this time.

Yeah that sounds familiar. It was definitely a great recording, everything could be heard nicely from what I remember. I knew of Dark Tranquillity prior to seeing that video and they had been in my library but I never paid much attention to them until after watching it.

the_heathen
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:45 pm 

I might go Insomnium would probably be worth the time although Dark Tranquility isn't really my thing neither is Gothenburg Melodeath in general.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:21 am 

I finally got my ticket for this. The setlist for the European tour right now looks heavy on Construct, Fiction, and Damage Done songs. We'll see if the US tour is any different in that respect!

I have to listen to Construct again. I played that album a lot back when it came out, but now it's been over a year since I've heard it and I can't remember much from it. I've also got to go through Insomnium's discography. The only album I have of their's is One for Sorrow. It's all right, but I wasn't keen on the clean vocals. Found them pretty grating.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:08 pm 

I can't believe these dinguses announced this show in Jun. Feels like I forgot about the bands already. I still really want to go though and I'm hoping the show doesn't get ass packed.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:11 pm 

The opening act at the Seattle show is called Sausage Slapper. God dammit.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:36 pm 

narsilianshard wrote:

My how this scene has changed.......

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:29 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
narsilianshard wrote:

My how this scene has changed.......

I looked them up. I was not enjoying it. They're a stock joke band.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:37 pm 

Saw this show last night and had a good time. The crowd was exceedingly rowdy during DT's set. Half the time the band got a kick out of it, the other half they seemed pissed off. Way to many stage divers on that small stage. I enjoyed the setlist; nothing from before Projector and only ThereIn from that album, but as a fan of newer Dark Tranquillity I didn't mind that at all. They played quite a few songs off Construct and I appreciated them more live than I did on the album. Maybe it's because they were interspersed with older songs, but as crazy as it sounds, I thought the new songs were some of the strongest tunes of the night.

Insomnium were also good, but I'm still not familiar with much of their material. I recognized one song from One for Sorrow which I really got into. Wish I familiarized myself with more songs going in. They played maybe 45 minutes with 10 songs, so it's a decent amount if you're mainly going for them.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:29 am 

Dark Tranquillity didn't like the stage divers? I really hope so because I hate stage divers and the venue they're gonna play at is pretty bad for divers (high stage).

I am so pumped for this show. I don't know why but my favorite shows have been melodeath or folk metal and these are 2 of the most melodic melodeath bands out there. I've been listening to nothing but these guys for past week. Only problem with the show is it's a work night, it's gonna be packed, and there's 2 shows 3 and 4 days after it as well so it's definitely gonna be exhausting, but I am sure it'll be worth it.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:41 am 

Well there was this one guy stage diving over and over, and they seemed to get tired of that after awhile. Towards the end of the set, this girl in her teens gets on (Michael was pretty much inviting her) and they hugged. But then she goes up there another two times or so, and by the last song, everyone was trying to get up, so I just left because it was getting ridiculous haha.

Oh, and people were trying to mosh to What Only You Know. That was stupid. Nothing will beat the time Opeth came over on the first Heritage tour and people tried to get their moshing fix during Face of Melinda.

Anyway, I think you'll enjoy the show! I went on a Dark Tranquillity binge myself the past week.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:20 pm 

People will mosh to the stupidest songs. I will never get it and I will never try to.

Any idea if Mikael was giving anyone the mic?

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:29 pm 

Nope, he kept it to himself, and thankfully didn't relegate songs like ThereIn and Misery's Crown to the crowd.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:22 am 

Just wanted to know if it was worth the extra effort to try and learn some words. When I saw Blackguard a couple years back, the vocalist paid a ton of attention to the front row and was more than happy to hand me the mic for a chorus here and there that I knew, but that was about all I knew vocals wise for the band.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:49 pm 

Saw this one yesterday. All in all it was a great show (except for the fact that I was dead tired from an 8 hour monday work day and a soccer game which I had to rush from to get to the venue in time to catch Insomnium, which I managed to do thankfully, and also the venue was warm and I had to pee). I was really impressed with the sets (minus the fact that Dark Tranquillity skipped my favorite song by them, Lost to Apathy). My only problem was that as I was near the left monitor, the stage right guitars were the only guitars I could hear (unless that guitarist was playing nothing, than I could just barely hear the stage left guitars). The vocals were almost inaudible, and the bass was totally inaudible. Thankfully I could still hear the drums fine, but the one side guitars were still too loud in that I could hear every mistake the guitarists would make. Keep in mind that this was for both bands.

Setlists:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/insomnium ... a8574.html
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dark-tran ... a8575.html

Seems like my town is the only town with a recorded setlist so far that Dark Tranquillity dropped 'Focus Shift' for 'Monochromatic Stains'. MS is still a good song but I would have preferred FS since I know it better.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:56 pm 

Good to hear you enjoyed it besides the sound issues. Do you wear earplugs? I find they help sync everything together at some shows, but at other shows they'll muffle a thing or two, usually guitars or vocals. It's a tricky thing. I kept earplugs in during DT's whole set until the last couple songs, and I thought the guitars were too low until I took them out. I had a recurring ring in my right ear a couple weeks before the show so I thought it was best to wear them. About the bass, they're probably using a backing track, but bass doesn't have much of a presence in newer DT so it doesn't bother me that they're playing without a bassist.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:58 pm 

Yeah I always wear earplugs to every show I go to. I had a lot of ringing after the first few shows I went to so I made it a habit to wear them. My ears did seems a bit ringy after this show though which led me to believe the other instruments weren't quiet but rather the one guitar was loud.

I didn't really mind missing out on the vocals and especially not the base. I did wish I could hear both guitar tracks though, especially for Insomnium. It was a bit lame when the far guitarist would be playing a softer acousticy reverby part where as the guy in front of me was just doing power chords. He was the lead guitarist so I heard all the solos but there were a few soft parts and a few awesome rhythm riffs that I missed. Dark Tranquillity not as much but still to some extent.

Zach_Unleashed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:36 pm 

I saw them on the January 15th, and every band that played including the openers killed it. If you guys want check out the band Withering Soul, one of the greatest opening bands i have seen. They Definitely deserve more attention. They classify themselves as Haunted Melodic Black Metal

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:53 pm 

Gonna see them this Friday. So glad they're not playing anything from WATV. Construct I don't mind having reheard it over the weekend. Just feels like a good / decent album limiting itself from being a great one. Insomnium I've got no problem, I've been dying to see them since 2005.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:03 pm 

I never got why people hated We Are the Void. I always thought it was a good album, and far above Projector or FictionHaven.

Construct is a good album for sure, but it's definitely one that has to grow on you. There's too many slow songs on there that don't grab your attention right away. But songs like What Only You Know, State of Trust, and Uniformity definitely grow.

Last edited by Indecency on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 pm 

Indecency wrote:
I never got why people hated We Are the Void. I always thought it was a good album, and far above Fiction or Projector..

What!!!!!!!!!!!! WATV wasn't a bad album but it was pretty boring overall and a complete rehash of their previous work.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

ShadowAurion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:13 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Indecency wrote:
I never got why people hated We Are the Void. I always thought it was a good album, and far above Fiction or Projector..

What!!!!!!!!!!!! WATV wasn't a bad album but it was pretty boring overall and a complete rehash of their previous work.

If some of the songs that were on the Zero Distance EP (Zero Distance itself in particular) replaced stuff like Shadow In Our Blood and Dream Oblivion, I feel like it would have been a lot better received.

Been trying to catch Insomnium since their tour with Katatonia and Swallow the Sun back in 2007. Probably more excited for them than Dark Tranquillity, even though DT is a great show. Wish Insomnium were playing more ATWW material than just Mortal Share, though. The Killjoy would have made me so happy.

Sunday night needs to get here sooner either way.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:45 pm 

I like We Are the Void a lot myself. I guess I can see why people didn't like it - there are less catchy parts, and it particularly lacks songs like Terminus, Focus Shift, Monochromatic Stains... something that's easy to get into and is a highlight of their live set. Some of the riffing is obscure and more along the lines of Construct, I think. Those albums aren't very far removed in style.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:02 am 

Indecency wrote:
I never got why people hated We Are the Void. I always thought it was a good album, and far above Fiction or Projector.

Construct is a good album for sure, but it's definitely one that has to grow on you. There's too many slow songs on there that don't grab your attention right away. But songs like What Only You Know, State of Trust, and Uniformity definitely grow.

I don't like Construct, I think it's boring as hell and I've probably only heard it a handful of times. We Are the Void on the other hand I thought was fucking solid and a pretty late career album and I wish they had kept it up. Construct feels like they were just trying to make Fiction/Character 2.0.

I don't get why people hate Projector so much, it's not like that album changed anything for them. They were already moving away from the early sound on Mind's Eye and kept up the change with Haven. Projector was just an oddball aldbum that actually winds up being phenomenal (imo) but whatever.

As far as their set list is concerned I think it's about as boring as the new album. They've been playing the same 15-20 songs for years now and every time they put out a new album they change maybe two songs or something. It's part of the reason I skipped the show this year because they were just here last winter. News flash guys, change shit up a little bit, no one want to hear you play Zodijackyl Light for the nine millionth time.

Azmodes wrote:

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:58 am 

Wait Projector gets a lot of hate? It is actually my favorite DT album with the Gallery following a close second. I also like We are the Void. Her Silent Language and Iridium are my favorite tracks from it. I like how different they are from the rest of their songs. They make a nice change of things. Though I preferred Character and Fiction. I also like a lot people felt Construct was a disappointment. Honestly what I really want to see them do is Rerecorded Skydancer. While I think the album is great I think it would be much better with Mikael Stanne Sharp Harsh vocals and His cleans over Anders Harsh vocals and who ever they hired to do the cleans on that album.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:53 am 

I see a decent amount of people shit on Projector for one reason or another. It's actually not only my favorite DT album but close to, if not, my all-time favorite album.

Azmodes wrote:

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:05 pm 

Projector was just a bit slow and boring for me. I can pick off a few from it that I like but overall it's not there. It and Haven were the awkward phase between The Gallery and Damage Done where were doing that typical Euro melodeath slow down experimentation. Damage Done to We Are the Void are my favorite (maybe The Gallery too).

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:24 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I see a decent amount of people shit on Projector for one reason or another. It's actually not only my favorite DT album but close to, if not, my all-time favorite album.

It's my favorite DT album as well, right next to Damage Done. The reason I dislike WATV is because it feels like they're totally phoning it in. Not one standout song on the entire thing. Every instrumentation feels forced and the songs themselves aren't composed well anyway. I want to say the same about Character, but I just find that thing boring. It's got some really good songs and the imagery is nice but I'm not into it like most. Fiction I revisited and that kills. Skydancer, yuck.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:50 pm 

Yeah Sky Dancer is shit, maybe if they rerecord it like someone already said then it might be good but Anders sucked big hairy balls for sure. Just compare it to Lunar Strain and what a fucking difference.

Azmodes wrote:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:59 pm 

Eh, decided against going. Just didn't have it in me after a week of work. Plus what amounts to 1 full day of rest before going back to the grind. Back hurts, neck hurts, hand hurts.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:24 pm 

Ah man, that's too bad, you missed out. I just went to me third show of the week last night so I really need this weekend here to wind down.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:17 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Eh, decided against going. Just didn't have it in me after a week of work. Plus what amounts to 1 full day of rest before going back to the grind. Back hurts, neck hurts, hand hurts.

DT and Insomnium were GREAT! El Corazon was beyond packed, barely recognized a single person though, lots of young'ns there which was great to have them there and not at a Bieber show :)

The three local openers didn't really fit all to well... and I'll leave it at that. The first one was alright, but the others... :-\

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next