Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:03 am 

The band updated its Facebook page, shedding more light on the new album A Umbra Omega which will be released on March 16th by Peaceville Records. I submit the whole text below:

Quote:
Dødheimsgard, Norway’s premier experimental extremists have completed work on their fifth album, titled A Umbra Omega, and set for release on March 16th on Peaceville Records. One of the top bands and boundary-pushing visionaries of the mid-90’s Norwegian Black Metal evolution, having released 4 full-length albums since their inception, DHG are widely hailed as masters of dark & psychotic psychedelia-tinged extremity.

The first fruits of DHG’s re-animated labour manifest in the shape of new studio album, A Umbra Omega, with original co-founding member Aldrahn (Thorns/The Deathtrip) making a return to the asylum on vocal duties alongside Vicotnik’s exquisite & unconventional compositions & structures. A Umbra Omega is DHG’s first album since 2007’s Supervillain Outcast opus, and undoubtedly marks the band’s most challenging work to date; twisted, technical, sprawling epics & an inverted outlook on existence from the depths of band mastermind/writer/producer Vicotnik, with similarities drawn to previous classic DHG works such as 666 International and Satanic Art. A raw and organic production permeates the album courtesy of Vicotnik himself, with the album mastered at Strype Audio in Oslo by Tom Kvålsvoll.

Dødheimsgard was formed in 1994 by Vicotnik & Aldrahn. The early incarnation was that of a raw and melodic black metal band, with their debut album also featuring Fenriz of Darkthrone on bass, before the poisons of a more avantgarde & schizophrenic concoction started to take hold.

Link (including a brand new promo photo): https://www.facebook.com/DODHEIMSGARD/p ... =1&theater
New DHG song 'Earth Tunnel' live from 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EAnsmd_bQ8

I am definitely looking forward to this, for many years actually. I find it bizzare and totally amazing that Vikotnik had to throw an album worthy of riffs to the trash bin, start anew and still manage to come up with another a new album; with the addition of Aldrahn back on vocals this is shaping up to be pretty special. Of course, this fact postoponed the album a couple of hears but it seems that the wait is finally over. Also, strange that they did not name the album 'An Umbra Omega' and used a plain A as an article instead!

(Ps. I simply named this thread after the band's name because I noticed that there wasn't a thread that we could discuss all things DHG.)

Yes it is.

Last edited by LefterisK on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:11 am 

I have Supervillain Outcast but haven't listened to it in a long time. Theoretically, DHG have all the ingredients to be a band I would really enjoy, but I just don't see them to be that way, unfortunately.

That said, I will be interested in their new one and will check it out when a studio track becomes available. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

juusokult
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:51 am 

Really looking forward to this especially now that Aldrahn is back. He is still one of the greatest black metal vocalists which can be heard on The Deathtrip's "Deep Drone Master" album from last year.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:35 am 

About fucking time! I'm excited if this is indeed in the style of 666 International. A great concept that got muddled down by too much aimless meandering; hopefully they'll cut down on that and stick to the faster, riffier songs in that style (Ion Storm and Final Conquest, namely.)

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:25 pm 

It's one of the albums that I have been waiting for!!! I love Int666 and something along that style will be incredible.

This and hopefully a new Thorns would make a terrific 2015.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:10 pm 

One of the extremely few bands that changed their sound as they went and went to something that I should absolutely hate with mixing in electronica and whatnot in their sound yet it works for them.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:44 pm 

Can't wait!

Amber Gray
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:01 pm 

I've only heard their first which is more in the way of traditional black metal, been meaning to change that for a while.

[New release] Noosefiller - Noosefilller (Technical/Progressive Black Metal)
Q'uq'umatz (Avant-garde/progressive metal/psychedelic/noise rock)

Intraum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:40 pm 

Amber Gray wrote:
I've only heard their first which is more in the way of traditional black metal, been meaning to change that for a while.

Be sure to check out 666 International. That's one mind fuck of an album. To me that album, Thorns self titled and Satyricon's Rebel Extravaganza are forever linked and form a Voltron of fucked up experimental black metal.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:24 pm 

I loved "Kronet…" back then (a big part of it thanks to Aldrahn's vocals). The rest of their discography I always gave a chance and really wanted
to like but, boy, it sucked… Normally I do like some experimental stuff now and then but their stuff was barely listenable for me and utterly boring.
However, as with said albums I will give this a chance, too (again)

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:45 pm 

I'm only really into their EP or whatever that 97~98 release was, but they've got lots of fresh ideas. That new song wasn't blowing me away unfortunately.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:40 pm 

artwork and songtitles up on M/A. Interesting cover, doesn't even look metal (which is fine). Songs must be long 'cause there's only six of 'em.

Necrostalker
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:33 pm 

Finally.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:44 am 

The cover would be nice if the triangles was not there, don't like them at all.
I guess I will check this out, though I havent bothered with this band after the first album which is pure gold.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:57 am 

forestcorpse wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

Yes it is.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:48 am 

LefterisK wrote:
forestcorpse wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts also. They are not really fitting, but I guess that's just them all over. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 am 

Interested in hearing this, Kronet til konge is one of my favorite black metal albums and Satanic Art is a trippy musical experience. Didn't get into Supervillain Outcast so open minded how this album will turn out.

Buried_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:17 am 

Also up for pre-order - https://www.burningshed.com/store/peaceville/

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:01 pm 

I'll give this a listen over the web at least once.
However after having just recently replayed Supervillain Outcast, I am not near as excited for anything new.

All the bloops and bleeps and using say the cell phone and it's various rings as the additional member of the band to fill in area requiring such digital headache? ugghh... yea, I remembered 666 International being great and loving it when it came out, but even that album has not really endured the years for me. I rather recall my memories of it at the time I liked it than listen to it again.

Guess I just don't care for any of that industrial crap digital telephone bleeps and blips.
Any album playing that sounds like someones cell phone is ringing during album play needs to be ...just not be. Don't do it! It sucks!

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:42 am 

'bleeps and blips' cmon dude, there's been electronics in music since, like, the 50s and probably before that.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:15 am 

666 International was just kinda bland and boring. Then they got Kvohst on vocals and it was cool for a bit kind of, but not really (but still more interesting than 666 International). Now Kvohst is gone, and Earth Tunnel sounded like some boring ass shit.

DHG, y u so lame?
Hehe, foreskins.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:24 am 

Chaosmonger wrote:
'bleeps and blips' cmon dude, there's been electronics in music since, like, the 50s and probably before that.

The kids, they listen to the electronic music, which gives them the brain damage. With the bleepin' and blippin'...

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:26 am 

Crick wrote:
666 International was just kinda bland and boring. Then they got Kvohst on vocals and it was cool for a bit kind of, but not really (but still more interesting than 666 International). Now Kvohst is gone, and Earth Tunnel sounded like some boring ass shit.

DHG, y u so lame?

As Vicotnik wrote on Facebook (and as we can see from the tracklisting of the album) 'Earth Tunnel' will not be included in A Umbra Omega; it will be used elsewhere though.

Yes it is.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm 

Crick wrote:

DHG, y u so lame?

lol you don't have to like it but calling 666 'bland' is just wrong

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:08 pm 

yeah, 666 International is just too crazy to be bland. Unlike a lot of industrial metal type stuff they're always changing up the rhythms and such. It's definitely not something I'd expect everyone to appreciate, but even though I haven't played it in a dog's age, I like it a lot.

I'm excited that Aldrahn's back. I didn't like Supervillain outcast initially but I already told Chaosmonger I'd find a way to listen to it again, and I will.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:40 am 

See, that's the thing. It's really fucking bland to me. The riffs are all so faceless, just a big collection of different rhythms played in a neat tone while Aldrahn blabs REALLY cheesy lyrics in his overly dramatic tone. It's a combination snoozefest and cringefest, and possibly one of my least favorite industrial black metal records... Ever, actually. The only thing I consider even kind of memorable is the clean guitar parts.
Hehe, foreskins.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:12 am 

A little taste from the album. The sample is taken from the 15 minute song 'Aphelion Void'.
https://soundcloud.com/peaceville/dhg-a ... mbra-omega

Shit just got real!

Yes it is.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:51 pm 

Sounds amazing...like a more technical Supervillain riff, then some unexpected sax and piano, then a VBE part...FUCK

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:52 pm 

That was awesome!!! like a more riffy D666 track with a fucked up in a good way section. The piano was already there in D666 but hell, the last part is almost Virus-esque!

In a totally different topic... fuck, I miss VBE.

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 pm 

well let's not forget that VBE was 50/50 Vicotnik and Czral

Space_alligator
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:35 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
I guess I will check this out, though I havent bothered with this band after the first album which is pure gold.

The cover reminds me of something an IT company would have as an advert.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:47 am 

Sounds a little interesting, so will check it out! :O

Crick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:03 am 

Now THAT was good. Even Aldrahn's vocals aren't cringe inducing anymore. This I can totally get down with. Although the instruments sound like they were recorded under a pillow, so that's a bit weird.
Hehe, foreskins.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:42 am 

Full song 'Aphelion Void' available for streaming: http://metalhammer.teamrock.com/news/20 ... -new-track

My first assumption is that the song is quite a letdown. There is absolutely no coherence between each part, the jazzy section towards the end was completely unwanted, it is TOO long, and the production is not helping either. I have only listened to it once but my hopes have certainly been reduced. Still, waiting for the whole album though!

Yes it is.

LefterisK
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:43 am 

New song up guys!

Yes it is.

PazuzuZlave
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:11 pm 

Allright, I gave up after the one minute mark. I certainly wasn't expecting anything "normal", but this made me seriously nauseous....

https://katastropha.bandcamp.com
https://ragbroder.bandcamp.com

Crick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:32 pm 

It's actually quite neat. DHG's best moments were honestly usually their clean sections, and this is using them effectively. And its incorporating the jazzier bits quite nicely as well. This is literally the first DHG release I can see myself enjoying.
Hehe, foreskins.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:41 am 

Sounds really good, I think it's about time I order the Lp!

Chaosmonger
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:58 pm 

this album is going to be fucking special.

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:35 pm 

Chaosmonger wrote:
this album is going to be fucking special.

One must hang on to this belief without creating at least the over hyped curse situation... however, yes, I would like to believe this is going to be something special as well.

Yet, the more one wants one band to be that special, and if you are active in searching the vast realms of music... it is very hard to be very unique and impressive. Every band has a moment, this particular threads band had a couple now, loved 666 International back then... now it suffers some production elements that would help it sound less aged, but can they return to being that 'band' again? ...so hard to say.

The album cover is not creating the door to belief yet.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next