* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:53 pm 

Quote:
German death metal veterans MORGOTH have released the following statement:

"Today we must bring you the unfortunate news that we have parted ways with our longtime vocalist Marc Grewe.

"The chance for a further cooperation between us simply wasn't possible anymore.

"This has been an extremely tough decision for us to make, and one that was not made easily, but we believe it to be the best for the band at this stage.

"That said, we are already working with a new vocalist on our upcoming album. The record will be entitled 'Ungod' and will be released in spring 2015 via Century Media Records.

"More details about the recordings and a string of new shows for next year will be revealed soon. Please notice: All upcoming confirmed shows will be performed as planned!

"Thank you and kind greetings,"

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/morgot ... sSLZpaL.99

What the fuck?

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:01 pm 

damn, this is pretty uh... weird... and definitely since about a month ago they did that comeback tour with Bolt Thrower.... Maybe it has to do with disagreements over the style they're trying to head towards? Not sure if Grewe's exit means it will sound more.... or less like old school Morgoth :/

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:53 pm 

comeback tour? theyve been playing live for again for a while now.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:04 pm 

Not sure I can imagine Morgoth without this guy on vocals, he was integral to their sound. Can't say I've heard (or wanted to) Feel Sorry For The Fanatic, but their early releases are awesome. Be interesting to see who replaces him.

My collection

shwartzheim
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:25 am 

Odium = Incredible. First Morgoth album i ever checked out, not at all what i expected but jesus fucking christ does it rule.
I dig Feel Sorry. Haven't played it in awhile but the whole Angel Rat-era Voivod meets Killing Joke approach worked well for me.
Never really took to their earlier stuff too much and still haven't heard the new stuff.

rexxz wrote:
it refers to a guitar tuning where you take the E standard scale and "drop" you low E string to a D, enabling you to play power chords with a single finger. It is for noobs and children.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:32 am 

I've only heard the two EPs at the start of their career, and Marc's vocals were certainly one of the main standouts and attractions to me. When I first heard them, they sounded like Chuck Schuldiner's vocals but more twisted and demented. Very distinctive. If he performed the same on the full-lengths, then I can only imagine how big a blow to the bands sound this is.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:35 am 

I can't imagine Morgoth without him on vocals, either. I haven't listened to anything live or in the studio from them since they reformed, though. Man, I used to spin Cursed a heck of a lot. That album is like Leprosy 2.0. Sold Baptism is still a favorite of mine.

Commandaunt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:22 am 

Respect to Marc for being fucking sick on Pits of Utumno and The Eternal Fall, but he has certainly lost his edge. I'll take any new chance at a better Morgoth. He sounds metalcore now lol.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:34 am 

tomcat_ha wrote:
comeback tour? theyve been playing live for again for a while now.

they have indeed done quite some shows occasionally over the years, but the Overtures Of War tour was definitely their first tour since their reformation, and because of that I really thought they were ready to go at it again. Eventhough Marc Grewe's vocals live nowadays are obviously not as good as on cd or even the live performances in their early years, the stage attitude was pretty positive. So that's why I thought this news came from a very unexpected corner.

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:31 am 

I saw Morgoth in 2012, and while they were very good and Marc was clearly giving 100%, as well as being quite charismatic on stage, his voice didn't sound a thing like it did in the 1990s. I'm guessing that's not the reason for the split, but really, I can't imagine anyone who was really expecting the twisted snarls of the early Morgoth days from him not being disappointed. I am pretty forgiving of vocalists, especially on stage, so I wasn't that bothered. Kind of feel the same way about Mille from Kreator...bless him, he pushes so goddamn hard, even though his voice sounds a bit crud nowadays, that I just can't slag him for the effort.

But yeah, Marc is probably replaceable, as most vocalists really are, when you get down to it...
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

true_death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:16 am 

Abominatrix wrote:
I saw Morgoth in 2012, and while they were very good and Marc was clearly giving 100%, as well as being quite charismatic on stage, his voice didn't sound a thing like it did in the 1990s. I'm guessing that's not the reason for the split, but really, I can't imagine anyone who was really expecting the twisted snarls of the early Morgoth days from him not being disappointed. I am pretty forgiving of vocalists, especially on stage, so I wasn't that bothered. Kind of feel the same way about Mille from Kreator...bless him, he pushes so goddamn hard, even though his voice sounds a bit crud nowadays, that I just can't slag him for the effort.

But yeah, Marc is probably replaceable, as most vocalists really are, when you get down to it...

I've seen some live footage I see what you mean. He also sounded a bit dry on "Shadowcast", but not 100% terrible (it was a very mediocre album to begin with honestly). but I think he sounded fan-fucking-tastic on his guest spot in "Beyond Your Grace" by Desaster. And really, he sounded pretty good on that single they put out a few months ago. Nothing compared to "Eternal Fall", but still better than most of what's going on in death metal today.

Mysticaloldbard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:38 am 

Karsten Jäger from Disbelief is the new vocalist. This was revealed almost a week ago on their Facebook, but it looks like it flew under everyone's radar, mine included. Here's the actual post:
Morgoth wrote:
Studio update!

MORGOTH have wrapped up the recordings for the “Ungod” album and are mixing the results in the coming weeks!

The vocals on the album as well as on upcoming gigs will be handled by Karsten “Jagger” Jäger (See photo above!), who you might already know from the long-running band Disbelief.

Here is a (rough mix) teaser of new MORGOTH music straight from the studio featuring Jagger on vocals for you to check out: https://soundcloud.com/centurymedia/mor ... ser-rough/

“Ungod” will be released by the end of March 2015 via Century Media Records.

Take care,
MORGOTH

He doesn't sound bad. The music in the samples doesn't sound all that awe-inspiring, though.

tomcat_ha
Minister of Boiling Water

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:45 am 

Surprised they would hire him. Disbelief is a rather low level band.

Reply to topic