Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Delta_Wing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:18 am 

Not a big fan of the guy or Static X but apparently he's been found dead. He was 48. No details given as to cause of death.

CNN has the story with the headline, "Metal Singer dies at 48". Sadly the second I read that headline I figured it wasn't actually a singer I would consider metal and sure enough it wasn't.

Anyway put this here for anyone interested, hopefully he is at peace.

BlackFlags
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:21 am 

Crap, really? I'm not a big fan of the band but sorry to see that he's passed. Was the dude really 48? I thought he looked younger.

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:59 am 

shit, wayne static? that's an unexpected one. wisconsin death trip is a cool album. ah, sad to hear it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 am 

I guess either you like Static-X and appreciate their brand of industrial metal/groove metal or you don't, I happen to like and casually listen to the majority their albums, and I listened to them a lot growing up. With the later albums Cannibal and Cult of Static, Wayne Static tried to change the sound back to what he originally did with Wisconsin Death Trip and the result was mixed, not to mention touring and only playing songs from that specific album, he must have wanted something close but better.

Static-X for me got lost in a sea of more interesting bands that really pushed the envelope, but I never forgot the memorable songs off of Machine, Shadowzone and Wisconsin Death Trip.

Devin Townsend: "Bummer about Wayne Static. =( Never met the guy. Really liked 'Machine' R.I.P." - Basically my thoughts.

Last edited by volutetheswarth on Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:48 am 

I remember the music for a Static-X song being over the intro cinematic for one of the old Duke Nukem games, which was certainly a rather iconic thing for me, as I was still only sweeping the surface of heavy music at the time. I have never gotten too familiar with their work, but all the occasional songs I heard here and there were rather enjoyable affairs.

R.I.P.

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:46 am 

Damn that sucks, Static-X was a pretty fuckin great live band if you like that type of music.... I wonder what happened, he didn't really looks someone who had health of drug problems, but I guess you never know... Personal problems that might be another issue... I can pretty good imagine that a lot of drama's concerning Static-X might have led to maybe a depression or something.... :/ R.I.P. Disco metal man....

Grimbeard
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:56 am 

I thought the first album was great, never got into anything beyond that album. Still pretty sad, R.I.P.

I saw a black lady strip to the song bled for days. I'll never forget.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:02 am 

Back in my nu metal days, Static X was probably one of my favorites. I played Wisconsin Death Trip and Machine basically every day but thought all the songs I heard from whatever the next album was sucked. The few from Cannibal I heard were among the worst in the style ever, to be perfectly honest. So it's shame they fell downhill so fast, because even when that was my jam, I really don't see myself enjoying their post-Machine stuff. I youtubed some of their WDT songs as a nostalgia listen when I heard the news and I think I see why I liked them more than most. They had some really energetic stuff and his vocals were certainly different. Not gonna rekindle my 10 year old love or anything but it's never cool to see dudes dying.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:07 pm 

I'm not huge on Static-X or his solo album, but still sucks. RIP.

HorrorMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:17 pm 

Was he the Slim Jim guy?

Seriously though, this does suck. I haven't been a fan of them for years but, as a teen, I used to always listen to them on the bus on the way to school. I constantly had either Wisconsin Death Trip, Machine, or Shadow Zone in my Walkman when I went to junior high. R.I.P. Wayne Static, you will be missed.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:29 pm 

This is uncanny as fuck. I was just listening to Static-X on my way to school to drop off an overdue essay, and was pretty pissed off since yesterday about something unrelated as well. Perhaps my anger killed him? :P

Seriously though, Static-X were one of the "better" nu-metal bands that I occasionally listen to. Wisconsin Death Trip was a decent slab of industrial/nu/groove metal. But, as stated above, everything released after is negligible.

R.I.P. Wayne Static.

Last edited by ~Guest 62838 on Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exigence

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:46 pm 

48 years old. That means 15 years ago at their peak popularity he was 33. That's crazy to me.

~Guest 62838
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:58 pm 

The dude didn't even look his age. In fact, he didn't look like he aged at all since I first discovered them back in 2001.

TheMizwaOfMuzzyTah
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:14 pm 

I had Machine back in the day and enjoyed it thoroughly. Shit in a Bag is always a fun song.

RIP Wayne.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:28 pm 

A lot of the comments from famous musicians seem to indicate that Wayne Static died of a drug overdose.

Not surprising but not entirely a safe assumption to make until official word gets out.

However, if it were an illness, it might have been difficult to keep it under wraps. Although, drug addiction is an illness in its own right.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:27 pm 

This really sucks....

Static-X's "Wisconsin Death Trip" was one of the first metal albums I ever owned, and I still remember walking out of Target with "Machine" and being so stoked to listen to it.

I recently had a huge craving to listen to them again so I collected all of their albums. I forgot how awesome Shadow Zone was! But really, Each one is just great (although the last one they put out was a bit just 'there', but still good). Anyways, this sucks, he was great, and the band really was fun to listen to.

RIP Wayne

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:58 pm 

I dug these guys for a few months around the time Start a War came out. They had a music video in a dirt-floored room, it was groovy if I'm remembering it right, and then there was a song off their debut called "Otsegolation" which I remember to be quite good. I didn't really go much further than that but I know this dude was very recognizable by his looks. Didn't realize that Tony Campos was a primary member of this band until 6 years later as I was getting into Ministry.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:29 am 

Fizzark!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:49 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
I dug these guys for a few months around the time Start a War came out. They had a music video in a dirt-floored room, it was groovy if I'm remembering it right, and then there was a song off their debut called "Otsegolation" which I remember to be quite good. I didn't really go much further than that but I know this dude was very recognizable by his looks. Didn't realize that Tony Campos was a primary member of this band until 6 years later as I was getting into Ministry.

Such a fun song...
[youtube]watch?v=RMEG-_PDFtY[/youtube]

Diamhea wrote:
Fizzark!

If he is or isn't, its sad. Everyone looks at druggies as lowlifes and scum of the earth, but drugs, especially heroin are addicting as shit and sometimes no matter how strong of a person you are you cant give up on it as it does in fact run your life and cause harm, both mentally and physically. I had a friend that got put on some doctor prescribed drugs, that was basically liquid cocaine and it fucked up his life and almost killed him.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:55 am 

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-ne ... ss-release

Statement was released that says drugs wasn't a factor.

It could be a death similar to Peter Steele but I guess we'll wait and see.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:13 am 

Not to devolve this into a rumor mill, but all I can say (and I can't reveal my source but I promise it is reliable) is that YES Wayne was big into dope, and NO he didn't quit in 2009, in fact he was strung out as late as 2012, mixing various intoxicants which we all know is an unwise move when opiates are one of the constituents. The family probably wants to obfuscate this for obvious reasons, and I respect that. Let the toxicology report do the talking, and I promise it will have plenty to say.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:46 am 

even if it is was a heart failure in his sleep caused by whatever heart disease, this is horrible for anyone involved in the upcoming tour with Drowning Pool, it brings back bad memories of what happened with Dave Williams of Drowning Pool in 2002

Abethedemon
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:07 pm 

That sucks. While not the biggest fan of Static X, I do happen to like his vocals on Inhuman by Dirge Within. I can't find it anywhere unfortunately.

MalignantTyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:02 pm 

Grimbeard wrote:
I thought the first album was great, never got into anything beyond that album. Still pretty sad, R.I.P.

I saw a black lady strip to the song bled for days. I'll never forget.

go on...

BastardHead wrote:
Of all the people want to bully like a 90s sitcom bully, Trunk is an easy top 3 finish. When I inevitably develop lung cancer I'm going to make my Make-A-Wish request to be to give him a swirly.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:33 pm 

I didn't realize Static X was that popular; that story has the most comments on Blabbermouth I've seen in ages.

RIP. I liked that one "Cannibal" song for memory's sake, but know nothing else. I heard Wisconsin Death Trip was cool, so maybe I'll give that a listen at some point.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:41 pm 

To this day, the only Static-X song I've heard was Start A War. I discovered it back in 2005 in the PS2 game SmackDown! vs. Raw 2006. It was probably my favorite song in the game alongside Symphony of Destruction by Megadeth.

I must have been living under a rock, but I had no idea they were that popular.

guitar_metal_777
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:39 am 

As a musician, it's really something sad when a person that can affect the emotions of others in such a way, especially through the medium of music, dies or is unable to continue in his/her calling in life. I never liked his music, but I'm sure there a lot of people hurting by the news.

RIP Wayne Static. Condolences...

Noktorn wrote:
I'd imagine that my parents are very tired with me saying "OH MY GOD LISTEN TO THIS RIFF HERE IT'S AMAZING why are you walking away from me. "

lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:56 am 

These guys were one of my favourite bands when I was fifteen or so, think I found them through an early Crusty Demons video, "Push It" I believe. All three of the first albums were among my favourites before I took my early steps into terrible-but-actual metal, but still seem to hold up better than most when I have nostalgia listens now that I'm into not-terrible-actual metal. Wouldn't have thought he was that old, still quite a shame, even though even 15 year old me thought that hair was goddamned retarded.

baconboom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:12 pm 

This news really shocked me. I don't listen to Static X that often any more, but when I was younger they used to be one of my favourite bands. I still occasionally enjoy their first three albums. They were definitely one of the better nu metal bands.
R.I.P :headbang:
YouTube:
https://youtu.be/IpHHtQSEng4?si=SkrRhwSLhz6MLjsq

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:36 am 

Shame. Static X was the first "extreme" style of metal I've heard, if you can call it that. I never owned the album, but I remember there was a sampling of a tejano song, and then "BYAAAAAAAAAGGHHHH!" when the actual album kicked in.

The album was Machine, or so claims YouTube.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:38 pm 

..really bums me me out..
thank you Wayne Static, for writing songs like 'December' and 'So'.. to this day, i can not listen to either without getting chills.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:07 pm 

niix wrote:
thank you Wayne Static, for writing songs like 'December' and 'So'.. to this day, i can not listen to either without getting chills.

Dude, just hearign "So" in my head gives me chills. Wasn't that on Shadow Zone? Just one of THOSE songs....

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:23 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
niix wrote:

Dude, just hearign "So" in my head gives me chills. Wasn't that on Shadow Zone? Just one of THOSE songs....

..yes! indeed it was on Shadow Zone, and to me, that track has always lifted me.. just power to the emotion it brings.. i still even blare the song 'cold'.. ah, chills.

RealmsOfDeath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:23 pm 

l like the song Push It. Other than that I wasn't really into him/them. I was shocked to here the news of his death.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:07 pm 

I remember Static X from a skateboarding game back in the PS1 days that WASN'T Tony Hawk. Couldn't even tell you at this point. But I remember when I was a kid, I was pretty enamored by the intensity...

Burnyoursins
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:07 am 

Always knew about Static-X, but never listened/got into them myself. I was well out of my gateway phase before I really started hearing the name thrown around. From what little I've heard though, their early stuff is pretty good for the style. Shame to see him go.

The_Beast_in_Black wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
...no one still knows what it's supposed to be about.

Well, I reckon there's a pretty good chance it'll be about gory tits.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:00 am 

Apparently this is Wayne Static's last interview: http://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusi ... rview.html

Tera clearly had some finger hold over Wayne yet I get mostly douche chills from what I hear about Tony Campos, I mean from multiple interviews it's the same story; he was trying to reach out and connect with him but he just ignored him until his death. Pretty sad really.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:52 am 

Damn man that whole interview is just sad. Wayne sounds really depressed and tired of all the bullshit. I'm kinda surprised about the Tony Campos thing but I haven't followed the band since high school really so whatever.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:33 pm 

The irony of that last line is pretty fucking chilling...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:55 pm 

Giving this a listen, forgot Static X and Burton did such a decent effort.

Anybody have any news on his last material? because there was been nothing since Tera's death, thinking it's highly unlikely his last material will see the light of day.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. Go to page 1, 2  Next