Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:38 pm 

Ten masked Men finally released another album, I honestly never thought they'd make a new album after the at least five year hiatus since their last one. Also, why they not on archives? Is it because they only do covers? Anyway, new one is pretty cool so far but lacks some of the catchier parts that were on Attack of the Ten..

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:00 pm 

Idylls sound pretty terrific at a first, cursory listen. Definitely a band I would keep an eye on. :thumbsup:

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:10 am 

Expedience wrote:
Anyone heard the Yob album which is coming out in a couple of days? I'm curious to see how it compares with Atma which I thought was a slight step down for the band.

Consider you curiosity satiated.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

oneyoudontknow
Cum insantientibus furere necesse est.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:54 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
oneyoudontknow wrote:
The Hungarian band Karst is continuing with their endeavour in the border regions of ther black metal scene. Those jazzy and folky elements are a nice countpoint to the harshness of their Darkthrone-influences stuff. Well ... this development is actually not much a surprise when someone has followed them over the releases. Nevertheless, the level on which they celebrate it still raises an eyebrow though.

This is pretty good stuff! Thanks fo the discovery, I'll listen to their debut album. Are you planning some reviews?

I have all of their releases and I want to do write on each of them since the interview I made with them. But this is hardly the ordinary stuff. Several attempts have been made, but I have never been satisfied with the result.

My website which contains reviews as well as interviews:
https://adsol.oneyoudontknow.com
My podcast:
https://adsolmag.bandcamp.com/

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:59 pm 

The new Accept is amazing, I've only given it about 3 listens to far but I may like it more than the previous two.

Definitely a few more mellow songs but Accept do these so fucking well, great riffs, amazing solo's and awesome vocals.

Everyone should check it out.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:24 am 

Blood of Kingu's 'Dark Star on the Right Horn of the Crescent Moon' and Burial Horde's 'Incendium' are too quite similar albums I've been enjoying. They're both quite Traditional Black Metal that use deep growled vocals as opposed to the typical high pitched shrieks and it gives the music a sort of brutal edge.

Lord_Beavereater
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:21 pm 

I am thinking that the New Morgoth when it drops will be good.
Checked out the first track ("God Is Evil")released last night, and it is solid OSDM (Think early Death and Obituary style)

Seedofthestorms
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:52 pm 

Bound for glorys new album will be one of 14s best new burzum enjoyed

GuntherTheUndying
Crimson King, Eater of Worlds

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:05 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I'm loving the new Portrait album. Haven't seen anyone mention it but it's superbly written.

Seconding this post. Crossroads is a tremendous album, probably my favorite of the year thus far. It's far better than their second album, which was bars above the herd itself. But yeah, what a great record, really surprised it hasn't been drowning in love here.

Obligatory Last FM Link

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:51 am 

The Wild Throne EP tore me a new one. Phenomenal three songs.

Plus, thought I'd never say this , but the Architects albums is the ONLY modern metalcore album I have actually enjoyed since, well , 2001 maybe.

Vader is Vader and either you adore the new album (like myself) or you go meh .

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:39 am 

GuntherTheUndying wrote:
cultofkraken wrote:
I'm loving the new Portrait album. Haven't seen anyone mention it but it's superbly written.

Seconding this post. Crossroads is a tremendous album, probably my favorite of the year thus far. It's far better than their second album, which was bars above the herd itself. But yeah, what a great record, really surprised it hasn't been drowning in love here.

I just ordered this. I've heard nothing but praise for it so far. Their sophomore is still fairly new to me but I love it. This band really understands the power of passion. There's no hint of tongue in cheek or a wink and a nod. When they talk about bathing in the archon's sweet blood it sounds like they mean it, damn it! It also doesn't hurt that the album is stuffed to the brim with incredible riffs and interesting structures. It looks like Crossroads is a little shorter...I'm very excited for this one.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 pm 

Ripper from Chile just released a death/thrash album in the style of PtK/Hypnosia. UNF!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:36 am 

yentass wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Anyone heard the Yob album which is coming out in a couple of days? I'm curious to see how it compares with Atma which I thought was a slight step down for the band.

Consider you curiosity satiated.

Hmm. It seems they want to continue where they left off with Atma. Disappointing.

Jimmy Calhoun
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:31 am 

Expedience wrote:
Hmm. It seems they want to continue where they left off with Atma. Disappointing.

Funny, I thought 'Atma' was great. But then long, meandering songs tend to appeal to me, especially in doom metal.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:17 am 

Jimmy Calhoun wrote:
Funny, I thought 'Atma' was great. But then long, meandering songs tend to appeal to me, especially in doom metal.

They've always had long and meandering songs. Not that that description gives any meaningful indication of a song's form or content.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:43 am 

I want to add the new The Haunted album 'Exit Wounds': truly destructive thrash metal at its best.
Ok, there's some filler in the central part of the album, but wtf, the other songs slays all!!!

"You make it easy."

NecropsY
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:03 am 

for me this year has sucked -
Huge disappointments -
1 Belphegor
2 Origin
3 Behemoth
4 Septic Flesh

Great albums :
1 Insominum
2 Dark Fortress

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:00 am 

The new Mayhem album was better than I thought. Not by any means great but quite worthwhile. I've kind of grown sick of Atilla's vocals though.

suleiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:13 am 

NecropsY wrote:
for me this year has sucked -
Huge disappointments -
1 Belphegor
2 Origin
3 Behemoth
4 Septic Flesh

Not exactly sucked but kinda meh so I agree. Never though a SepticFlesh or Origin album would get that reaction from me. :(

Cold Crashing Waves
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:15 am 

Just Babymetal. Everything else is boring. Hopefully the new Nathrakh and Godflesh albums won't disappoint.

The Lions Den
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:14 am 

^Really about Babymetal mate, kick ass music at my ears. Unfortunately their cd here in Europe are not so well distributed and I don't want to pay 30 euro or so plus shipping for buying it. Just waiting...

"You make it easy."

slavonic777
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:51 am 

Haemoth - Condemned
Qrixkuor - Consecration of the Temple

Sweet little releases... Orthodox French black metal and promising as fuck demo of dark death metal. Anyone else enjoying these?

CosmoSATAN
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:18 pm 

Elder Giants by Sun Worship

https://sunworship.bandcamp.com/album/elder-giants

quality BM out of Germany.

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm 

Blood Thirsty has this great album called Sanguine River Absolution. I never thought that symphonics and brutal death metal would get along, but it actually sounds awesome.
In the light of Christ

sushiman
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:49 am 

Didnt really get into their album but I'm enjoying Maveth's material on the split with Embrace of Thorns I just got from the DDR bandcamp. Killer pairing, and really my sort of split with a cohesive vibe and concept.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:24 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:

This is great, thanks for the heads up. Makes me think of Cruciamentum + The Chasm + Vasaeleth or something.

Beer Baron
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:41 am 

Sytris - Stronghold of Wrath

This one took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting to like it. They play mostly mid-paced Black Metal that gives a feel I can only describe as "Majestic". The riffing is largely repetitive but I don't mind that because they're so glorious. Special mention has to go to the vocalist whose vicious raspy growls help keep me hooked.

Hadez - Morituri te Salutant

For anyone unfamiliar with these guys, this is raw Death Metal with lots of Thrash and some Black Metal influences. The sound is harsh, sometimes the instruments come across as sloppy as though it were a rehearsal, and the production sounds like a demo recorded by 17yr olds in 1993. With all these complaints, you might be wondering why I'm mentioning it in this thread... Well its because its great and these factors contribute to it!

Hod - Book of the Worm

Unrelenting Blackened Death/Thrash. That sums it up really, these guys never take their feet of the pedal.
I like

Mortuus - Grape of the Vine

Dark, brooding, doomy Black Metal with a strong bass presence. My problem with this album is that the songs sound too similar and its mid-paced with no fast sections to add some variation to their play. However, they do an excellent job in creating this very dark, foggy atmosphere.

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 pm 

slavonic777 wrote:
Haemoth - Condemned

Sweet little releases... Orthodox French black metal and promising as fuck demo of dark death metal. Anyone else enjoying these?

Never heard of Qrixkuor, will have to check them out. Always forget about Haemoth, but I think their last record was decent. Just got the new Horned Almighty and it's pretty good, kind of like a more blackened Vader with speedy punkish riffs. Favorite album of the year(s) is still the new Old Wainds, Sorry Darkspace ;)

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:34 pm 

New Project Arcadia album kills. Urban breed in his usual fine form, backed up by more eclectic and progressive music than he's had behind him in years. It's pretty mellow in places and has a very prog-rock feel to a lot of it, but for those disappointed with the tamer Bloodbound and Trail of Murder albums as opposed to old Tad Morose, this one at least tries new things and delivers a strong, vivid and colorful album full of twists and turns. I love it and can't wait to dig into more and discover more of the album's secrets.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:38 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
New Project Arcadia album kills. Urban breed in his usual fine form, backed up by more eclectic and progressive music than he's had behind him in years. It's pretty mellow in places and has a very prog-rock feel to a lot of it, but for those disappointed with the tamer Bloodbound and Trail of Murder albums as opposed to old Tad Morose, this one at least tries new things and delivers a strong, vivid and colorful album full of twists and turns. I love it and can't wait to dig into more and discover more of the album's secrets.

How does it compare to the debut? I really enjoyed the debut, and I also like Urban Breed, so I will have to check this one out.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:42 pm 

I dunno, I had never heard of the band before Urban joined. I do want to hear the debut now though. If you like Urban breed at all you'll love this album though.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:50 am 

slavonic777 wrote:
Anyone else enjoying these?

Just downloaded this for free at their bandcamp, and I'm really digging this slab of primal, murky, crushing death metal. Thanks for this! Can't wait for more material.

My collection

Prairieshadow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:36 am 

Twin_guitar_attack wrote:
This was a fantastic find. The pure heaviness of Conan filtered through the depressive eyes of Winter with some of Indian's fucked up sludge to complete it. Really bleak.

http://forn.bandcamp.com/album/the-depa ... sciousness

Wow, I'm really digging this.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:48 am 

^ Seconding Forn. It's a great debut effort and it'll definitely feature quite high on my AOTY list.

I checked out Qrixkuor a few days ago and it's too murky for my taste. It came off as typical caverncore to my ears at first listen :ugh:

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:42 am 

Finally got around to listening to Panopticon's new album, Roads to the North. I loved Kentucky and this one seems a step above it in every direction. That riff around the 2 minute mark in the Echoes of a Disharmonic Evensong reminds me of Black Dahlia Murder, wasn't expecting that at all, but it works well. Really well.

MechaGhidorah
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:15 pm 

Agreed on the new Panopticon being awesome. 2014 is a good year for Black Metal.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm 

Cool, I'm a Panzerchrist fan (my user title is actually a bit of a reference). I'll check that out.

Goatfangs
58.2% Metal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:58 pm 

Didn't expect this but apparently the new Job For a Cowboy may be their best album yet.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/09/23/jo ... new-album/

That song sounds awesome! Sort of proggy/doomish death metal.

And they'll tell you black is really white - The moon is just the sun at night - And when you walk in golden halls - You get to keep the gold that falls - It's Heaven and Hell

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:11 pm 

I'm going to plug Oak Pantheon's The Void--which had a remaster released this year, so I'm cheating on this.

Oh, and you can get the album from bandcamp.

Outside of this, I just realized how few new albums I purchased this year.

MeltedFace
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:33 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Cool, I'm a Panzerchrist fan (my user title is actually a bit of a reference). I'll check that out.

Somehow I thought I deleted and reposted my link to "At the Grave" (which I assumed you are referring to), but it isn't showing up for me in this browser or any other browser.

Anyway, if nobody else can see it, Nahsil is referring to this:

Spoiler: show

It's a band made up of current/former members of Panzerchrist and Illdisposed and it's some very solid straight up Death Metal. It's a bit formulaic but it gets the job done and I must say that if you're into tremolo picked Death Metal with insane double bass, this might be up your alley.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 18  Next