Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nephilim96
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:44 am 

Do any of you guys use twitter or anything? Any good bands or metal people that are worth following (the vast majority definitely aren't, and especially not labels)?

Yes, twitter isn't very TRVE, but do you know what's also "trve"? Not giving a fuck! haha

Turner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:35 am 

twitter is the point where social media lost me. as far as i can see it's the master system to facebook's megadrive, but without the awesomeness of the 8-bit sonic the hedgehog.

MetalTim
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:29 am 

You can follow my blog DutchMetalManiac on twitter if you want : https://twitter.com/DMetalManiac

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:07 am 

I use it a lot - mostly for two line jokes....but with that said, I like Invisible Oranges as a metal blog. I follow lots of musicians, metal and otherwise, and IO is pretty solid.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 am 

I thought twitter was exceptionally dumb when it was first around, but now as I actually am getting tired of the constant irrelevant social fairground of facebook - I find twitter to have a bit more use, as it lets me track which music retailers are having sales/news without wading through all the friend-status-updates of fb (I only have a select few friends on twitter.) So yeah, been using it a bit more these days.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 am 

I used to use a Twitter for a bit, but only for ninja survival advice and general ninja wisdom:

https://twitter.com/EyesoftheNinja/

I should get back to it sometime soon. Approximately 28 amateur ninja have died since I stopped posting. But then that's amateurs for you.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am 

Oh, I do like joke accounts....quite a bit. Was thinking of making a few to see what sticks, but meh.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:10 am 

I have more than enough trouble finding ways to avoid social discourse without actively seeking it out, but I now think fb and twitter are great for keeping the socialites both busy and relatively isolated. Sadly, both will be dead tech soon and next will be a constant stream of chatter beamed directly into your parietal lobe. I've got patents pending on both Hivespeak and Hive-Mind(tm) so suck on that, Zuckerberg.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:26 am 

You can follow my movie blog on it: https://twitter.com/cinemafreaks1

I haven't updated it as much lately, but I keep telling myself to start doing so again.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:14 am 

Expedience wrote:
I have more than enough trouble finding ways to avoid social discourse without actively seeking it out, but I now think fb and twitter are great for keeping the socialites both busy and relatively isolated. Sadly, both will be dead tech soon and next will be a constant stream of chatter beamed directly into your parietal lobe. I've got patents pending on both Hivespeak and Hive-Mind(tm) so suck on that, Zuckerberg.

:lol:

Never used twitter. A friend insisted I make an account a year or two ago so I did, but still never used it. I may boot it up one of these days to follow things related to metal/e-sports.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:33 am 

I try to post funny shit here: https://twitter.com/YogthSothoth

I have pretty much no followers so it's mostly just me trying to make myself laugh at this point. You'd be well served to go through some of my favorites though, I follow some really funny nobodies.

~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:38 am 

My account. I use it for following Japanese bands, for which it is extremely useful. Its use for western metal bands (at least the ones I listen to) is marginal at best. Bands like Anubis Gate, Machinae Supremacy, and Pagan's Mind are semi-active on there though. I follow some indie RPG developers as well (even though its nothing I couldn't get from browsing RPGCodex or whatever).

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:22 pm 

The only time when Twitter was in any way relevant to me was when it had auto generated RSS feeds. But since RSS is such a useful way to "follow" the "content" of your favorite "content creators" without being forced to participate in the vicious data mining scheme that is all big social media, naturally they figured at some point that it would be in their interest to disable that feature.
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:25 pm 

Don't understand the popularity of twitter. Facebook is plenty for me and arguably too much as it is. No need for twitter, instagram, tumblr or anything else.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:31 pm 

I know a lot of people use Twitter solely for news, but that's what a good RSS reader is for. Feedly is probably my most-visited "site", and I separate everything by category. News, Metal, Music Industry, Jokes, etc. Most posts you can read in full without having to go to the full site, it really changes the way you surf the web.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:33 pm 

I'll pretty much chime in with what the other users have mentioned. I use twitter for following news, current affairs, some funny posters and a few friends. I am more active on twitter than facebook. With regards to metal on twitter, I follow Invisible Oranges (pretty decent blog) and GrimKim.

Oh and holy balls, how could I forget mentioning 'emergency kittens'!

Headless420
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:04 pm 

twitter is awesome for comedy. I just follow comedians and read jokes between working.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:13 pm 

I just use facebook and follow/like bands and a few groups. Dont really see a need for anything else.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:03 pm 

Turner wrote:
twitter is the point where social media lost me. as far as i can see it's the master system to facebook's megadrive, but without the awesomeness of the 8-bit sonic the hedgehog.

Sums it up perfectly.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:36 am 

>>2014
>>Not liking Twitter
>>Being old
Hehe, foreskins.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:19 am 

I find good news sites better, as with twitter you get every brainfart and non-important update possible. No I don't need to see a photo a day of the recording process of which has no release date and no I don't need record sales statistics or dirty laundry rants or an apology note one hour later.

Piikkienkantaja
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:05 am 

I've found a lot of excellent but obscure bands using Twitter. Bands in sub-sub-genres tend to follow one another; so if you find one you can see who they follow and find more.

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:39 am 

I use Twitter all the time, it's free image hosting at the very least and straight from my phone :nods:

Secular Prayer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:18 am 

I`m on twitter and enjoy following metal writers and comedians. Most of the band posts are similar to their Facebook posts, so most of the time, it`s not that interesting. My favorite tweeter of all time was Oderus Urungus, who never missed an opportunity to tweet something funny. Most of my twitter feed is just jokes from other people.

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:30 pm 

I use twitter once in a while. Scott Kelly (Neurosis) and Eugene S. Robinson (Oxbow) followed me back the other day. :-D
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:25 am 

Feel free to follow me if you want
https://twitter.com/dreadmeat

marthastewartsplatterhead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:44 pm 

Twitter reminds me of cocaine. Rest assured, you won't go unnoticed. In fact, there'll be so much more of you to share with everyone, whether they want it or not.
And those days are long gone for me.

Reply to topic