Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:44 pm 

Okay, it has recently come to my attention that besides beer and whisk(e)y, we have fans of a whole host of brandies here. So I figured we might as well have a general distilled spirits thread.

I dislike most of the brandy I have had (which isn't much I'll admit) but this American apple brandy is just delicious. It's like calvados but smoother than any calvados I've had. A bit sweeter too. Pay no attention to their applejack (which I think is terrible), this is the real deal.

This is my favorite bourbon, I think.
Spoiler: show

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 am 

YAY! Spirits! Apple brandy is super good - that brand is consistently delicious too...maybe I'll pick some up.

Ok, I've been drinking loads of gin lately (DC summers and humidity will do that - although this year ain't bad...) and these are my current favorite gins.

Green Hat - a delicious and sweetly refreshing American gin (i.e a little "wetter" body and cooler mouthfeel with a less bitter aftertaste).
Oxley - an icnredibly crisp and bright London dry that is both bitter and surprisingly fruity - one of the better gins but the price is ridiculous! 50 bucks for gin is a little steep, especially because gin is sooooo easy to drink.
Bluecoat - an "American dry" which perfectly blends the traditional bitter mouth with a nice flowery and herbal sweetness with just a hint of fruitiness.
Finally, the king of kings, Bombay Sapphire - one of my favorites both for price and taste, an incredibly balanced, smooth fruitiness mixed perfectly with the spicy/earthiness of the Indian gins. Absolutely stunning and can't be beat for the price!

Weller is an absolute treasure - the price and taste can't be beat, and the subtlety in flavor is deeee-licious. I've been digging on Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek lately a lot. I think the price/quality ratio can't really be beat. But, admittedly, when it's hot out I just don't drink a lot of whiskey.

The Fish-man and I have had a lot of conversations about scotch, but I suppose there's already a thread for that....

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:50 pm 

Have you by any chance had Welsh whisky, meaning Penderyn? They make a madeira-finished single malt I can get a hold of but I have no idea what sort of profile the base whisky has. It looks to be on the lighter side.

http://www.welsh-whisky.co.uk/Our-Whisk ... -Malt.aspx

This summer in the D.C. area has been nice, it started out bad but now it's nice. And today anyway it isn't too hot for whiskey :P might have a glass of that Weller before I head out tonight.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:44 pm 

I found a bottle of Gordon's Vodka, which is apparently a thing (I thought they solely stuck to gin), it was the same price as Sobieski which is my favorite vodka-considering it's less than $13 and has the same "clean" taste of a Smirnoff or Ketel One- figured I'd try it out, not nearly in the same category. Sticking with Polish and Latvian vodkas from here on out.
Also, I've been trying to track down a decent Absinthe, apparently there's a bunch of newer Czech brands out there that are absolutely despised by connoisseurs of the green drink, I guess the main slight against it is the lack of anise that's used in most Czech absinthes. After reading some scathing reviews of the stuff I think my first bottle is gonna end up being one of the French or Swiss variety.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:35 pm 

If by Polish vodka you mean Chopin's potato vodka I'm with you 100%. About the only vodka I can have by itself unmixed. I've had one other one from Chopin (the wheat or the rye I don't recall) and I didn't care for it on its own.

There's one other Polish potato vodka I've had but I don't remember the name, didn't like it as much as the Chopin.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:08 pm 

Anyone live in a state whose laws allow Costco to sell liquor? It's pretty glorious. Their vodka tastes identical to Grey Goose for less than half the price. Haven't tried any other Costco brands though.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:36 am 

I hate the term "mouthfeel". It's so tacky.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:42 am 

Anyone hear have experience with Spirytus vodka? It's a Polish 196-proof vodka; my fencing coach from had recommended it to my family as a good mixer (in that a single shot is the equivalent of about 3 drinks.) So strong it'll make you lose feeling in your legs if you take it straight, apparently.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:40 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
If by Polish vodka you mean Chopin's potato vodka I'm with you 100%. About the only vodka I can have by itself unmixed. I've had one other one from Chopin (the wheat or the rye I don't recall) and I didn't care for it on its own.

I've never had a potato vodka, though I've heard good things about them they seem kinda hard to track down around here. I'll have to scrutinize the vodka section at Friar Tuck's next time I'm in there.
By the way, anyone else in the midwest have one of those megastores near them? It's like a cornucopia of all things alcoholic, and there's that wonderful sign in front of the doors "no one under 21 allowed without parental supervision", I wish more stores could have rules like that.. No kids in there running around shouting "BUY ME THIS STOUT, MOOOOMMM"

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:12 pm 

One thing I miss about Illinois is the Binny's Beverage Depot chain, nothing quite like it. Pretty much an alcohol warehouse and they have a few dozen locations, amazing amazing place.

I prefer the term texture myself, John.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:55 pm 

Right now I've got a bottle of this on the bar at home:

I'm not normally a light rum sort of person (fucking light rum people :guns: ) but I picked it up because I wanted to make some quality piña coladas and now I've got half the bottle left. It's what's known as a rhum agricole, a rum distilled from pure cane juice as opposed to molasses. Essentially the same thing as cachaça. It's pretty good, really. Extremely light and surprisingly smooth for how spirity the nose is. It's not incredibly flavorful but what's there is quite nice... light brown sugar, some vanilla, and a slightly vegetal note. Just a very clean, streamlined, zesty liquor. Good stuff, but nowhere near as delicious as darker rums at the same price point.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:56 pm 

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:21 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Anyone hear have experience with Spirytus vodka? It's a Polish 196-proof vodka; my fencing coach from had recommended it to my family as a good mixer (in that a single shot is the equivalent of about 3 drinks.) So strong it'll make you lose feeling in your legs if you take it straight, apparently.

That would probably be 192 proof vodka, because distilling only gets you so far in the alcohol content (tad less than 96% ABV which is about 192 proof). As for a good mixer at that strength... Well, cost-effective to be sure.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 am 

Anyone here into absinthe?

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:53 pm 

*raises hand* .. I like it. Can't say I'm experienced, but I've had some. Quite a bit at one point, but that's the only time I've had it by itself. I generally enjoy it in cocktails. Like the Sazerac, in which it is awesome.

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:05 am 

With or without wormwood? I've been meaning to import some of the "real" stuff (which isn't sold in America) for some time, but haven't done it yet.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:12 am 

^ bruh http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.ph ... -in-the-us

Anyway, I've had it - it's pretty neat, like Wyrm, it's best when mixed, but it can be very delicious!

Had a few friends over last night and they brought a personal favorite - St. Germaine. So delicious and wonderful. Absolutely a favorite and better than most for a nice relaxing cocktail.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:39 am 

Well I'll have to check my store now, I thought all the USA sold was non-thujone imitation.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:40 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:

That would probably be 192 proof vodka, because distilling only gets you so far in the alcohol content (tad less than 96% ABV which is about 192 proof). As for a good mixer at that strength... Well, cost-effective to be sure.

Ah yeah, that's right then. The specific recipe he recommended it for was this Polish Christmas drink that apparently mixes fresh hot chocolate melted over a stove with the aforementioned Spirytus. Never ended up making it, but that sounds pretty damn good.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:55 am 

The absinthe I've had had wormwood, it's relatively easy to find here in Portugal. But what about Jaegermeister? I've always been curious about it. How does it taste?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:12 am 

Licorice/anise - bitter with a rooty bite to it. It's pretty yummy, but I know plenty of people who hate it...I like Schwartzhog a little more, because it's more of an intense herbal flavor to it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:08 am 

Jaeger is dreadful. If you are going to have a licorice-based spirit, at least do it right and go for some Finnish salmiakki liquor or vodka. The Turks have some sort of anise-based liquor that's pretty good too.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:47 am 

Awww no like? I genuinely enjoy most German herbals - Jaeger is a bit too sweet and Americanized, but I still like it.

Borgmann and Killpitsch are nice too.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:33 pm 

You really need to find this drink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmiakki_Koskenkorva

You can do homemade salmiakki liquor as well. Open a bottle of vodka, shove salmiakki in there, close it and let it sit for a few days or so. Mmhmm, so good.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:47 pm 

that actually looks amazing.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm 

Hey Frog, that absinthe website was quite interesting - I've only had the inauthentic kind at a bar once; any suggestions as to where I could buy better fare?

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:58 pm 

You're Chi-city right? Last time I was there, I found a bottle of Kubler at Binny's....Kubler is legit and has all the trappings and tastes and ingredients of a real absinthe - to my knowledge it's the oldest available one too, been doing it right for a long time. So, I'd poke around next time you find yourself at a liquor store.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:32 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Had a few friends over last night and they brought a personal favorite - St. Germaine. So delicious and wonderful. Absolutely a favorite and better than most for a nice relaxing cocktail.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude. The bottle is also win.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 pm 

I've got a bottle of Becherovka and Zwack (I think it's the original plum flavor) liqueur stored away that I should probably try before summer ends, I've heard nothing but good things about Becherovka, apparently it's a bit more cinnamon-y tasting than most bitters. Gonna try experimenting with it in a few different mixers soon...
Also, I've heard this Lithuanian stuff called Vana Talinn is really good too. Anyone have any experience with either that or Riga Black Balsam?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:03 pm 

Vana Tallinn is Estonian and it's great! It is really pretty vanilla-heavy if that's your thing. I have no idea how you are supposed to drink it, I've only ever had it once and there wasn't much so we just took shots.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:41 pm 

Vana Talinn!

Favorite ways to drink it:

- Vana Tallinn
- 1/2 lime
- mint leaves
- soda water and crushed ice

- Vana Tallinn
- apple juice
- vodka

Also, Zwack plum rulez.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

DemonHellSpawn
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:00 pm 

So I just got a bottle of real absinthe (and I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere too, so I'm surprised) and I'm drinking it right now. :beer: I love black liquorice too, so the taste is awesome. I've never never had an anise-based liquor either so that's also something I should look into.

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:08 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
Licorice/anise - bitter with a rooty bite to it. It's pretty yummy, but I know plenty of people who hate it...I like Schwartzhog a little more, because it's more of an intense herbal flavor to it.

Thanks for the info. ;) BTW, did you folks know that Marilyn Manson has his own brand of absinthe? It's called Mansinthe:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.ph ... e&Itemid=1

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:05 am 

I've heard of that Manson-flavored absinthe and apparently is pretty decent from what little I've read on it, nothing I'd shell out $60 for. Just the principle of the matter, death to false absinthe.
I snagged a bottle of Kübler absinthe today, just gotta find me a spoon with a buncha holes in it and some sugar cubes and I'm gonna party.
My online liquor store that I used to frequent for hard-to-find stuff (mainly things that can't be found at Friar Tucks) has been out of Vana Tallinn for a couple months now and just the bottle itself looks so appealing, guess I'll have to tide myself over with that Becherovka and Zwack in the meantime. I'm gonna have to remember that mint leaves and soda water/crushed ice recipe, that sounds really good, I need to start experimenting with more vodka-friendly mixers. Can only dilute it in orange juice so long before it gets old.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:28 pm 

Mint, vanilla and a dash of citrus - you really can't beat it. It's like a nice key-lime pie into a nice little drink. Plus it's about as low calorie as a mixed drink can get - as the mint, lime and soda add almost nothing.

Kulber is rad and I think you'll enjoy it.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:26 pm 

Having a bit of that Weller's 12 year wheated bourbon right now. Mmmm. Just what I need on this rainy day.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:53 am 

Heading back to Ohio for the holiday....wondering what to bring back for the family...

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:00 am 

What do they drink? I know my parents don't drink much hard liquor these days with the exception of cognac/courvoisier, though I'm actually winning my mom over to Islay scotches...

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:31 am 

Dad's a gin man, mom's a scotch girl - I'm thinking Green Hat (the local DC fair...) but I'm not sure about whiskey/scotch...I haven't seen them in about a year and I finally have a bit of money, so I figured I should bring something.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:20 pm 

Hey, go for the anCnoc 12! It's super tasty, light, and honestly kind of a steal at its $40 price range. I'm always trying to turn people onto this one :) Or if she's into more intense malts, try the Ledaig 10, which around here goes for only $50 or so. Craziness.

Also Frog: I wasn't sure if it was worth bumping the whisky thread just to mention this, but having just recently gone back to my bottle of Hakushu 12 after an entire season's hiatus, I have to say it's one of the most delicious lighter whiskies I've ever tasted. Such an incredible balance it strikes between sweet, grassy, and peppery, all with a gorgeous undertone of peat that enriches it all but never overwhelms. I think it's only gotten better with so many months open in the bottle. Fucking great stuff, man. A much more interesting Suntory offering than the Yamazaki. If you can find it where you are, it would definitely be a good one to share with the family!

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next