Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am 

So after forever of rearranging and tweaking riffs and coming up with new ones I finally have made progress. Got a plan for everything, most details hammered out, and I'm getting ready to record a small piece of my debut solo thing. After many hours of pacing and chainsmoking, I've come to the conclusion that it will be a concept album based on creating a black metal concept album. Will post the preview up in a little. I've been working on the same thing for like at least a year now and recorded another little piece of a few riffs that will also be used in this whole thing and you can listen to it hhhhhhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yun7nxZAsHc

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:37 am 

This is a totally minor complaint but I'm bemused at how quickly I burn through strings while recording. Since you want them relatively fresh each time you lay down some tracks, each set will not last me more than 2 sessions, and that's if they're not like a week apart. Consequently I've bought like 10 packs of Ernie Ball Super Slinky 10-52. EB strings barely last a few days in this Singapore climate (I usually use D'addario or Elixir) but since none of these packs are gonna be on my guitar for more than a few days, might as well save the money.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 pm 

Use thicker strings.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm 

Getting stoked to release my Funeral Doom bands debut CD! Can't give any details yet until everything is set in stone, but very exciting!

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:15 pm 

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Use thicker strings.

They'll still rust on me dude (which is why I have to change them because they won't be fresh after 2 sessions, not because of breakage, although that usually happens in about a month). To top of the goddamn humidity here, I have extremely sweaty palms.

Nordic_Warhammer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:02 am 

Have you tried Elixir strings? I use the nanoweb strings, and they hold up amazingly well.

Vorfahren: Neofolk from the Pacific Northwest https://vorfahren.bandcamp.com/releases

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:08 am 

I could, but the problem is that with the way I attack the strings, be it the angle or the force or whatever, I notice the windings on the A and D strings will start to fray. I can live with that normally but I wouldn't record with that haha.

In normal situations where I'm not restringing every session, I usually use Elixirs.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:20 pm 

somefella wrote:
ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
Use thicker strings.

They'll still rust on me dude (which is why I have to change them because they won't be fresh after 2 sessions, not because of breakage, although that usually happens in about a month). To top of the goddamn humidity here, I have extremely sweaty palms.

Stop having sweaty palms you freak. I have a similar climate and my strings rarely rust and I don't change them nearly as often as most do. But I also don't hand sweat and I always always wash my hands prior to playing.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 am 

It's not the heat but the humidity. I live within walking distance of the sea. And my palms sweat quite a bit whenever I play. Not just the strings, but the neck gets all clammy and it becomes hard to slide up and down after I've been playing for more than an hour. Then I just get a clothe and wipe them down.

I don't need to change them that often but while recording, I need a fresh set for each session since I like the shimmery brightness of smacking new strings. Otherwise I usually keep them til they break. I usually break strings before they become too rusty. Always breaks at the bridge saddle, where I'm clamping down hard on my palm mutes and bashing the strings.

Had a really productive session yesterday, did 4 double tracks (since each song is quad tracked) in a few hours, in between a lot of smoking and eating and napping. 5 more guitar double tracks to go and it's on to the bass. I haven't even had time to write my basslines yet, fuck me.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 am 

File the bridge saddles to the size of the string you are using and round out the edges. A V-shaped slot gives you two points of contact that are going to wear quickly.

Before you put strings on them, coat them with something like GHS FastFret/Dunlop Ultraglide (mineral oil). I've just used the same lemon oil that I used to clean the fretboard - the acid in there probably isn't good for the strings, but it's not like they're going to last forever or touch something it's bad for. I put a bit on a paper towel and run the stings through it before putting them on. I've heard that a bit of mineral oil protects the bridge from sweat too - it'll attract dust, but you're going to need to clean it really well either way.

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm 

somefella wrote:
It's not the heat but the humidity. I live within walking distance of the sea.

when I said the same climate I meant the humidy with the heat. I live mostly in a state of 80-100% humidity where the lows are 80 usually march till Nov. then it's cold.

but still exact same same climate, not temperature. My hands don't sweat, everything else does.

Also I live/work/exist overall within walking distance of the gulf of mexico. So exact same thing.

roughly pretty close:
Singapore Mudcity, Mississippi
Latitude 1º22´ North of the Equator 30º
Longitude 103º48´ 89º

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:00 pm 

My band put out a new video today. We lucked out with this one, a director we know was between projects and offered to do a video for us. Plus he's friends with a guy who has some crazy high end gear we rented for cheap. I'm really happy with the result, I think it's fairly unique and eye-catching. Ch-ch-check it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56AyxdRW2ho

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:57 am 

I'm gonna be honest that frequency in string changing does sound a bit ridiculous and I think you're taking it overboard, but it is good that you're making sure your strings are nice and new. As for what's going on in my (un)musical endeavors, while revising a bass line I think I got the concept of tapping arpeggios down. Traded out a long tremolo bend up for a nice sized (mostly) diatonic tapping run. Now I just need to get it up another 40 bpm to speed and I should be able to knock out the bass for this one. I was recording guitars first and then realized I will be able to get closer to the sound I want by tracking bass first and then adjusting the EQ on the guitar as opposed to doing the opposite. Does this make sense at all? I mean, I have the drums programmed, so then I'll record bass with a suitable tone, not really concerned about how it sounds as long as you can hear every note. And then finally take the low on the guitars down a little bit so get a more treble-y sound since the bass is already on the track.

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:24 am 

I gotta be honest, CorpseFister, I didn't like it. The electronica music in the beginning was alright, and also when it kicked into the dance beat, but I hated the vocals with a passion so deep I can smell the decay of the buried dead in China.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:20 am 

Haha, I'll let our singer know he evokes the smell of decaying corpses. I don't expect a ton of metal heads to get down with our stuff, but some do. I just post shit here because I don't frequent any other online community of musicians.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:39 am 

Well that was just the change I was looking for. For my mom's sake I'm going to wait to record vocals until she leaves for the airport. This is the second time I've ever recorded anything, third if you count a song on acoustic guitar. This has to be the first time I've had a positive experience in making music by myself and this was a great reminder of how much I love the guitar, as well as some quality time spent with my beloved 5-string that I've let my friend borrow for the past few months. I think when I'm done I'll brush up on a real drum set as opposed to haphazardly clicking all over the screen :-P I can't wait to get more microphones so that I don't have to do that anymore. It definitely feels good to actually do something for once instead of just fumbling around the fretboard under the influence and dreaming. One of the biggest things that's held me back is being too critical of myself and thinking "this sounds too much like this song" or "god damnit that's not what it's supposed to sound like" so I decided to say fuck it and get the show on the road, be proud of my creation nonetheless.

As for the other shit I have going on, I'm writing each hit and fill for my first band's stuff. Been playing those songs for years but there are places scattered here and there where I never played the same thing because I couldn't decide what sounded best. There's too many options to this music stuff. Once that's done we'll be (finally) headed to one of the local's studio for our debut as a two-piece, me doing drums and vocals and my good friend on his 7-string electric violin. Fun stuff.

Aaaaaand recently I joined another band that parted ways with their drummer. They're in the process of recording their first full-length and they sent me the drum files a week or two ago so I should probably get on that since I've only learned one song. They wanted me to join quite awhile ago but that was before they changed their style up a bit, went from some br00tal deathcore to a more straightforward tech death oriented sound.

All of my posts sound like I'm writing in my diary. But that's kind of what this forum is, right? Now to have a smoke or two and get those rasps.

garthmargengi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:33 pm 

SweetSilence wrote:
So after forever of rearranging and tweaking riffs and coming up with new ones I finally have made progress. Got a plan for everything, most details hammered out, and I'm getting ready to record a small piece of my debut solo thing. After many hours of pacing and chainsmoking, I've come to the conclusion that it will be a concept album based on creating a black metal concept album. Will post the preview up in a little. I've been working on the same thing for like at least a year now and recorded another little piece of a few riffs that will also be used in this whole thing and you can listen to it hhhhhhere https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yun7nxZAsHc

Sounds interesting enough, got any full song demoed? 'd love to hear!
What you said about mixing the guitar on the other post makes sense. As it sounds right now on the medley, I find it lacking a lot in definition, it's all too fuzzy.

SweetSilence wrote:
on his 7-string electric violin.

His what!?

Meself, I'll take the chance since today I missed classes and gonna record some basslines for our next songs.

SweetSilence
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:08 pm 

The one that's up now was hastily thrown together in a few hours quite awhile ago and I used different amps then I am now. I didn't record the full song today because the whole thing is going to be one song. I'm a dso whore lulz. It doesn't sound much better this time around but I'd say it's a small improvement. I have to go cut the grass among other things but then I'm going to finish up vocals. Much more satisfied with how it came out then I thought I'd be, sounds a lot better than in my head I think :-D And the violin is made by Wood Violins, all of the Insomniac stuff on my channel is what that is. I'd say the best one is the live one "at the Granada."

we have the best mods

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:48 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Haha, I'll let our singer know he evokes the smell of decaying corpses. I don't expect a ton of metal heads to get down with our stuff, but some do. I just post shit here because I don't frequent any other online community of musicians.

It's all good, bro. Just a matter of personal tastes. Speaking unbiased, however, he is good at what he does, especially when coupling the falsetto voice in with his true voice. I really should have included that in my first post, but eh, better late than never.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:02 pm 

Oh pffft, no offense taken at all. I already told our singer to wipe off the black eyeliner and go get a tan because he's reminding people of dead people smell.

Today I've been effing around a bit with my Korg Monotron, a tiny little analog synthesizer they put out a few years ago. It's fun to play with but really more of a noisebox than a usable instrument. I bought it mainly to get an analog filter for a decent price. Weird thing is, it picked up a bunch of radio signals today. I'm not sure why but depending on where I was standing and how all the various cables were bunched about it would pick up a transmission from some talk radio station. I ended up recording a whole bunch of drones and bleeps and bloops, all with muffled, ghostly voices flitting in and out from this radio station. The recordings sound kind of cool, though I probably won't do anything with them it was a fun and unexpected diversion.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:34 am 

Got my Bare Knuckle Aftermath installed! Now all there's left to do is post a soundclip with a lousy phone camer- oh wait I already have.

Lead tone: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =3&theater

Rhythm tone: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10 ... =3&theater

Camera doesn't do it justice but man, sweet sweet sound.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:46 am 

Great, somefella. That's a pick-up I've been considering. I'll have to check out your clips later.

I'm mostly looking for a pick-up that makes the trebles scream in a overdriven Marshall way (think Danny Cavanagh's distorted rhythm tone circa 2001-2003) in response to how hard I strum.

My Invader bridge provides a fantastic lead tone and amazing death metal rhythm when I run a tube screamer in the front, but it could be brighter, there's far too much low bass. The middles are excellent, though - it's very low mid voiced, which balances the rather excessive high mids of my amp nicely, giving a smoother, fuller tone, while the high mids still cut through nicely.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:52 am 

Working on writing lyrics for a Doom Metal song... The main riffs are completed, and I have recorded it and will upload later today.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:57 am 

@ Ilwhyan, I swapped out an Invader for this very Aftermath. From what you're describing, maybe go for an SD Distortion (I use that as well, shown in another vid I posted somewhere around here) or the Mustaine Livewires. The latter is pretty expensive but it fits the overdriven Marshall thing very nicely.

Actually I like the treble response for DiMarzio D-Activators and the Crunch Lab as well, though it isn't that close to what you described but hey, it might be the one.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am 

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look up those and see if I can try them out. I'm actually saving up for a Powerball II, since it seems to have channels that combine that Marshally high end and extreme metal fullness and edge very nicely.

Our other guitarist has D-Activators, I think, and they sound horribly cold and lifeless in his Ibanez X. Great for scooped, brutal tones, and with excellent clarity, but I can't express myself with such a tone. It could sound different in my basswood Ibanez, but I wouldn't count on it.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:22 am 

I guess you could listen to the sound clips on the Seymour Duncan website (very helpful) and look at the tone chart as well, to roughly gauge how different their EQ will be relative to each other (the annoying thing about buying pickups is that it isn't so convenient to try em out).

If you can afford it, a nice medium-output pickup which I find super expressive are Gibson stock pickups. The 57 Classic, Burstbucker 1, 2 and Pro all sound amazing and I wouldn't worry about them not being hot enough if you possess an Engl anyway ;) Though how they would sound in a basswood guitar is another option. I generally like mahogany the most because of its midrangey meatiness. Basswood is pretty neutral but a little lifeless to some ears, so perhaps something hotter would work.

EDIT: Oh if it helps, the guitar in the vids I posted above is an all basswood body and maple neck! I also picked the covered version of the pickup because the battle-scar cover looks cool and it has a slightly lower output (read: more expressive hehe) than the uncovered one.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:43 am 

what would be the best way to record guitar?

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:42 pm 

somefella: I especially liked the lead tone of your guitar. Even with that quality, it sounds very rich and full of personality. Very good playing as well!

As for the Seymour Duncans, judging from a demo video that showcases a number of different Seymour Duncans with the same setup and all, the JB and especially the EMTY Blackout seem to be closest to what I want. Boy is the Dimebucker is fucking awful though. :lol:

Of course, that's just with his guitar, his tuning, his fingers and his amp.

I tend to go with relatively low preamp gain. I have a tube screamer in the front as a clean boost, and my gain is at 9 o'clock, and presence between 10 and 11 o'clock. The amp is the Screamer, which ENGL advertises as one with tamed gain for modern rock. In my experience, hot pickups and not overmuch preamp volume makes for a better tone than lower output and high gain settings. It likely depends a lot on the amp and the pickups, though, and tube screamer definitely adds its own twist to it.

bluwarguy: I would say with a Shure SM57. That's something of an industry standard for guitar recordings, as it's a good mic and relatively affordable.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:40 pm 

Thank you! Yeah I thought the quality was pretty shit as well. This phone takes amazing HD pictures of food but apparently has the sound recording quality of an egg.

I have tried both those pickups and have nothing but good things to say about them. As to which one you will prefer (keeping in mind that the EMTY costs about twice as much hahaha), the JB is a lot less hot but very expressive and 'open', so to speak. The EMTY of course has a tighter and beefier chug and will have more definition with lower, downtuned sounds. It's lead sound is inferior to the JB to my ears. Unless you plan to play nothing but big sweep-taps and all that.

EDIT: In between the 2 of those would be a Distortion. I never expected it to, but it retains a LOT of clarity down in C tuning like the EMTY while still being sing-y and open like the JB. Lacks a tiny bit of low end but not enough to be a problem.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:06 pm 

Lack of low end wouldn't be a problem for me anyway, provided that there's enough low mids to make it growl. I believe I have no need of actual bass frequencies in my guitar tone. It just needs enough low end to respond to mutes with a nice oomph and somewhat round the edges of the treble bite I like to have.

Looks like I'll have to consider Distortion pretty seriously then. Getting the Blackouts would've cost me even more, not just because of the fact that those particular ones are more expensive, but also because I only have one guitar, and it has passives obviously. First I'll probably save up for the head, though. Every time I look up tone videos of the PB I get a huge bout of GAS. :(

Out of the basic sound samples on the SD website, the JB sounds the best to me so far. The Distortion sounds nicely hot, but it's a bit dark and closed sounding. The Invader is even darker, but the high end can open up beautifully. JB is like that, but less hot and less dark.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm 

Sure dude, just providing feedback based on my own experience. Through the same setup, I will say the Distortion handles low tuning better than the JB in terms of clarity and is hotter but that's all. Both obviously have more definition than the Invader haha.

I haven't stopped playing this BKP since I first posted about it except for going downstairs for a short run. I love this thing!

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:34 pm 

Yeah, something tells me the JB isn't suited for even that high gain levels or my gear in general. It's a terrible shame, but when it comes to pickups - as tone in general - you always have to make some compromises. That's why it's good to have two guitars in the band. :)

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:45 pm 

It actually can get the job done, I'd say. Just not as well as the Distortion. And I'm the sole guitarist in my band now. During the recording of the album in my sig, I used a basswood body guitar with an Invader and he used an alder body guitar with a JB (no prizes for guessing this one!). Me on the right and him on the left, if you wish to refer. Next album which is currently being tracked, I use a mahogany body guitar with a quilt maple top equipped with a Distortion for all rhythm tracks.

I actually do enjoy the Invader but wanted something with a tighter bottom end and a bit more controlled-sounding. Before this BKP, the other option being considered was a Suhr Doug Aldrich. Very nice but not for metal.

bluwarguy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:05 am 

Quote:
bluwarguy: I would say with a Shure SM57. That's something of an industry standard for guitar recordings, as it's a good mic and relatively affordable.

will definitely check it out. ill need to save some money up since i just ordered an epiphone les paul junior.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:08 am 

Not sounding controlled is definitely a problem with the Invader. It's not suited for as much gain as its able to produce. The flabby bottom end some people complain of isn't a problem for me, though. I've played a Mesa Roadster with the guitar with Invaders in it, though, and it was ridiculous. I simply couldn't dial out the bass from the lead channels even when I used the tube screamer, and the Rectifier bass is, as is well known, loose as hell! The low mids with that were crazy though - the Roadster channel two sounded pretty great for heavy modern rock kind of thing.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:29 am 

Yep that's true. I think the bass/mid/treble EQ for the Invader reads something like 7/8/4, meh.

Anyway I think we've hijacked the thread about pickups a few posts too many. If you like, simply PM me and I can share my experiences with whatever pickups I've used before. Which is quite a bit since I work in a music store.

All rhythm tracks for Oshiego's upcoming album is, in the immortal words of Dave Grohl, DONE DONE ON TO THE NEXT ONE. Bass and then solos is up next.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:50 pm 

Currently awaiting the artwork for my Funeral Doom bands debut album. Woot.

skrockidelic
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:24 pm 

I'm a guitar player but lately I've been obsessed with banjo playing techniques. It's been fun learning how to make hybrid picking sound heavy! You can get some pretty interesting sounds when you don't need to skip strings with a pick to play high notes but it's a bitch to get it sounding clean with distortion. Here is a song I recorded that has the technique in the verses if you wanna check it out: http://estuarinemetal.bandcamp.com/track/tsunami-ritual

Estuarine facebook: www.facebook.com/estuarinemetal

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:43 pm 

As long as my computer stops acting up.... I plan on starting the recording process of the next Dalla Nebbia CD today.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:04 pm 

I wasn't able to do much recording yesterday, just very out of practice, but I did manage to record a quick clip of an ending to a song that I had some ideas for. VERY Arcturus/Hellhammer styled with the delayed snare hits and playing 3/4 over 4/4 and blah blah blah. Can't wait to hear it properly mixed and mastered :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 185  Next