Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:25 pm 

Hey guys, I'm very new to recording. A few months ago I did some searching for a proper mic I could use to record guitar and vocals and having nothing other than a Rock Band USB mic, my searches told me a Shure SM57 is a must have for every person recording. I went to buy it the next week and the guy at the store told me that I would also need some cable (forgot the name, if you know it that would help) and some sort of machine to connect it to.

What I'm wondering first is what is this machine? Any recommendations? Is there any reason to fork over money for a more expensive one?

Second, how abouts to I connect all this stuff? Seems like that cables connect the mic to this machine but what from there? How do I get the digital signal/file to my computer? Something to do with the sound card?

Finally, would I have to buy anything else other than these 3 things to have everything needed to record with the mic?

Any responses are greatly appreciated, thanks.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 pm 

SM58 owner here.

He probably just means an XLR cable and pre-amp. Most microphones don't use the same 1/8th inch cables like guitars and amps do. That's a pretty typical thing, and easy to find.

Pre-amps can be a little more confusing, and I'm no expert... But basically when you put a signal into a wire (via an amp or singing or from pickups etc.) it's too quiet to be of any use via a computer sound board, so a pre-amp is essentially a second external sound board with some volume adjustment and other settings, designed to make microphone or other signals a good quality. I have an M-Audio mobile-pre. It gets the job done, but I wouldn't recommend it, because it comes with a shitty lame DAW that just bugs up the computer, and you'll probably end up troubleshooting with it in a few other areas.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:52 pm 

Ok, thanks. The cable sound familiar so I'm sure that's what he said. So there's nothing else I would need then?

And does anyone else have any recommendations for preamps? Probably nothing too specific because my store might not carry it.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:27 am 

Well, no, you don't really need anything else. There are all kinds of fancy setups you can get into, but really, if all you want to do is start amateur recording, then yes, all you're gonna need are a computer, microphone, XLR cable, and something to plug the XLR cable into that can send that information into the computer (i.e. preamp). Keep in mind, again, that the XLR cable is not the same as a 1/8th inch cable. The socket insert at the end of the chord is completely different, and you need a "machine" so to speak, or device that can accommodate that shape and format. This is another purpose the preamp serves.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:25 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Well, no, you don't really need anything else. There are all kinds of fancy setups you can get into, but really, if all you want to do is start amateur recording, then yes, all you're gonna need are a computer, microphone, XLR cable, and something to plug the XLR cable into that can send that information into the computer (i.e. preamp). Keep in mind, again, that the XLR cable is not the same as a 1/8th inch cable. The socket insert at the end of the chord is completely different, and you need a "machine" so to speak, or device that can accommodate that shape and format. This is another purpose the preamp serves.

Yeah, I saw that the XLR cable was a bit funky. I had the Shure and the cable in my hands ready to buy until the guy told me that I would need a preamp (I asked him when I was pulling out my wallet where I would plug the mic into). Decided after seeing I needed a preamp too that I would buy another day.

Awblaster
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:09 pm 

If you're just getting started, I'd recommend something like a Line 6 UX1 or UX2. Pretty cheap, really simple, and for basic recording they do the job perfectly. They come with a decent amount of software bundled with them, so there's plenty to try out and see what you get on with.

Indecency
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:48 am 

Awblaster wrote:
If you're just getting started, I'd recommend something like a Line 6 UX1 or UX2. Pretty cheap, really simple, and for basic recording they do the job perfectly. They come with a decent amount of software bundled with them, so there's plenty to try out and see what you get on with.

Thanks a bunch man, I'll keep my eye out for that one when I go probably next week.

Metal_Mollie
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:16 pm 

If at some point you need a mic for growl type vocals, the SM7B seems to be one of the best. It has been used for bands like Cattle Decapitation.

Reply to topic